POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 25, 2014, 05:16:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 631888
  • Total Topics: 47840
  • Online Today: 293
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Are you a foodie ??  (Read 1681 times)

Offline budndallastx

Are you a foodie ??
« on: April 08, 2007, 10:56:59 AM »
Over the past couple of months, there appears to be a lot of guys and gals who are into food.  Just curious what shows where you get all your recipes from, what shows you like to watch and what your specialty is. 

Main Source of Recipes:  httpL//www.cook-books.com  This site is a collection of recipes submitted by anyone on the net.  Some good stuff.
Favorite Show:  Good Deals with Dave Lieberman (He's a cutie)
Specialty:  Chili (but never make it the same way twice, constantly evolving)

What about you?
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Offline Grinch

Re: Are you a foodie ??
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2007, 11:56:09 AM »
  I don't consider myself a foodie.  I see them as pretentious snobs, you know the kind that won't eat something that doesn't include a "mango and raspberry foam" and won't eat at the hole in the wall Mexican joint.  I do however love to cook and eat.  My favorite cooking show is Good Eats.  I don't always like his recipes but the science enables me to experiment a lot better than going in blind.

Learn the techniques and you can put together your own flavor/ingredient combinations.  I like just about any ethnic cook book.  Learning the different flavor combinations of different cultures really broadens ones horizons culinary speaking.  When I travel I always try and avoid chain/tourist restaurants in favor of local establishments.

I recently had dinner with a co-worker and his 90 year old father.  It turns out the father wrote a cook book called The Ethnic Eater.  He was a food scientist in his younger days and was very interesting.  His story about taking cheap wine and steeping different tea bags in it then putting it into expensive wine bottles for all his "wine snob friends" had me rolling.

At the end of the evening when we dropped him off he handed me a copy of his book.  What a wonderful gift.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2007, 12:01:39 PM »
For the most part I don't eat meat, thus I would have to decline the "foodie" title

I LUV vegetarian cuisine

LUV IT
LUV IT
LUV IT

I also luv vegetable juices from a juicer

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2007, 12:09:24 PM »
Yes, I'm pretty much a foodie, plus I lived with a major NYC foodie for over a decade and she currently is a part owner of a Spanish restaurant with Mario Batali, who I'm sure you know of.  Fortunately every time I go to NYC I get excellent meals at little to no cost!  Last time I was there in February she took me to Batali's newest place Del Posto which was most incredibly excellent.  As a result of knowing her I've not only gone to most of the top places in NYC, but had the benefit of VIP service while there.  Sadly now that I no longer live there I don't get to tap into this anymore, and living by myself I can often be lazy with cooking just for one.  I used to throw a lot of dinner parties, but now with my SSD income I'm not about to do that, as to do a proper one it costs quite a bit of money.  HOWEVER I DO NOT CONSIDER MYSELF A SNOB, as described above, and LOVE finding good hole-in-the-wall places if they are good... and I've found most TRUE foodies are like that.  It's the pretentious wannabe foodies that are generally the snobs, like the difference between Old Money and New Money types in a country club, if you are familiar with that dichotomy.

However if I need to have a date with one other person I'm confident enough in my cooking to prepare a nice four course meal.  As far as resources, I have a decent collection of cook books (and had access to even more when I lived with my foodie friend). I was a huge fan of the Silver Palate series of cookbooks in the 90's though many of the recipes seem a bit dated now.  If I had to recommend one I'd go with "The New Basics" as it's kind of like an updated Joy of Cooking, though if you don't own Joy of Cooking it was recently revised and updated last year and is kind of essential, as is (believe it or not as it's so non-elitist) the Better Homes & Gardens "New Cook Book" which you can often find in used shops.  These three books are all geared towards basic cooking skills and have good charts for things like the roasting of various cuts of beefs with adjustments for size, etc... how to properly truss a chicken and that kind of boring stuff that the more trendy cook books often don't include.

As far as the "boutique" cook books go, Mario's books are great if you like Italian cooking that doesn't obsess with American-Italian red sauce mendacity.  I'm also VERY big on Danny Meyer's excellent "Union Square Cookbook" from  1994, Alfred Portale's "Gotham" ('97) and Michael Lomonoco's "'21' Cookbook ('95), and Jean-Georges Vongerichten's "Simple Cuisine" ('90) -- which I'm glad I just had to pull out because I found my recipe for roast squab over lentils fall out of it... a torn page out of the NY Times Sunday magazine section from a decade ago.

I also have a few "ethnic" cookbooks (Brazilian, Cuban, Persian) and I also really like Mark Miller's "Salsa Cookbook" for it's really extensive and inventive salsa recipes.  If you like soul food look for this obscure title called "Princess Pamela's Soul Food Cookbook" -- she was a legend for decades in the East Village.  The cookbook was written in 1969 and mine is falling apart... but her restaurant was still functioning up until the mid-90's until either she passed away or finally retired, I can't recall which.

"The Herb Bible" ('94) is a necessary resource for herbs, even if you don't plan on growing them yourself, but if you want to do a little garden it really is a wealth of information.  It also has large sections on how to use herbs for medicinal remedies if that is of interest to you.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2007, 12:12:41 PM by philly267 »
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Online Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2007, 01:27:52 PM »
I love good food.  To me that means food made with quality ingredients that is
well-prepared.  It does not mean food that costs a lot of money, be it the cost
of ingredients, or expensive restaurants -- that just doesn't fit into my finances.

I cook quite frequently, and would do so even more if I had the time.  Most of
my inspirations come from the newspaper, or on the Internet.  A lot of my inspirations
come from my father's side of the family, who were from Italy.  I don't seem to
get the same inspiration from my mother's side of the family, who were from Ukraine.

Cheers,

Henry
"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 12:44:23 AM »
Guess I fail to qualify as a foodie... I went to Burger King (drive-thru) for Easter Dinner with my dog.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Jean-Yves

• Meow!
    • Home for Sign of the Tiger
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2007, 01:37:41 AM »
      I'm not sure about the term "foodie". I am a serious researcher into Medieval Cookery. I have over a hundred cookbooks dealing with Pre 1600 AD food. That makes up about one third of my cookbooks. I occasionally produce feasts for 80 to 300 people consisting of 9 to 15 dishes, all from actual medieval recipes.
      At home I do all of the cooking for my partner and myself. I enjoy making food that puts smiles on peoples faces. I also enjoy eating food that puts a smile on my face and have the big gut to prove it.  If all this makes me a "foodie", then thats what I am.   ;D
Jean-Yves   

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2007, 06:30:06 AM »
There seems to be some misunderstanding of what a food actually is.  Here is the best description I have seen on the word from Wikipedia.

"a foodie is a person who has a special interest in food, even foods that a self-identified gourmet would turn his or her nose up at .. "

So the question still is .. are you a foodie?
Sustiva / Truvada

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2007, 08:09:14 AM »
What would a gourmet turn their nose up at..?

Don't know if i'm a foodie, but food - good quality, traceable, fresh, un processed - is a longstanding passion of mine. I’m not keen on fussy recipes ; I think food, both the cooking and the eating of it, should be an enjoyable, social experience, not something to get stressed over. huge supermarkets scare me - organic markets & little delis are far more my thing, if only because they know what they’re selling & where it came from.

Cookery books, a few of my favourites would be:

Paradiso Seasons, Denis Cotter - great vegetarian, lots of seasonal recipes, beautifully presented

The World Food Café, Chris & Carolyn Caldicott - more vegetarian, plus a kind of travel diary with amazing photos of their journeys through Africa, asia, the middle east, latin america

Lord Krishna's Cuisine: Art of Indian Vegetarian Cooking, Yamuna Devi - one of the best, this. Vegetarian essential, amazing recipes.

The Moro Cookbook, Samantha Clark - Spanish, north African, eastern Mediterranean creations, one of those books you want to put on a coffee table because it’s visually stunning too.

River Café cookbooks, & anything by Rick Stein for fish/seafood. Rest of the time, I just make stuff up as I go along  :)

Kate

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2007, 11:01:43 AM »
What would a gourmet turn their nose up at..?

I could think of a few things including searching for the ultimate Taco, hamburger, bar-b-que, etc.

Gourmets and foodies tend to be different with the Gourmet being more discriminating about what crosses his palate.  Would a gourmet even sit down for a good Country Fried Steak with Gravy?
Sustiva / Truvada

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2007, 12:08:49 PM »
From my understanding "foodie" pertains more to the cultural phenomena one currently sees where people obsess about the restaurant scene to such an extreme that they make a sport out of being the first people to try new restaurants, at least that is how it's seen in NYC.  In the past five years there's been an explosion of this above and beyond the already huge influence of the Food Network, which obviously wasn't even around just a decade ago.  Now you can find several food-oriented blogs and there's this entire new subclass of people that have an obsessive compulsive disorder with the entire scene.

However, I think previous to the recent useage it was often used by people who worked on a more professional level in the restaurant industry, as that's how I first heard of the word with my roommate.  I'm sure she would not refer to herself in that manner now, as the word has changed to something somewhat undesirable.  The old foodies mock the new foodies, because an old foodie would never dine in a new restaurant during the first week it was opened just so they could brag that they were there first -- it would have been more important to let the new restaurant work out there flaws which always occur the first couple of months before actually going there to eat.

Hope that makes some sense.
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2007, 07:44:02 PM »
foodlicious bump

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.