POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
February 14, 2016, 01:13:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 685259
  • Total Topics: 53630
  • Online Today: 150
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 117
Total: 121

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Cure Research  (Read 980 times)

Offline grapefruitswag

Cure Research
« on: February 07, 2016, 01:13:03 PM »
Hi everyone. I'm new to this so forgive me if this is a topic that has been discussed already. I found out that I'm positive about 3 months ago. Everything is going pretty well so far and I think I'm finally coming to a level of acceptance with it.

Here's my question for you all: I'm very hopeful that we're close to finding a cure for HIV - as in 5 to 10 years away. I read lots of news articles about the progression of science in the field and try to keep up to date with the latest research. I'm curious though, is all this just youthful naiveness or is everyone thinking that a cure is in sight? Does everyone go through a stage at first where we hold out hope for a cure and that hope just sort of fades away or is this actually an exciting time in HIV research? I hope those questions makes sense.

Offline JimDublin

• Global Moderator
Re: Cure Research
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2016, 02:43:00 PM »
Welcome to the forum.

I think a lot of advancements have been made in terms of treatment and management of HIV. Also prevention has made huge progress with things like PrEP & PEP becoming more available and accepted.

With that said I do not expect a cure for us.
However with thanks to treatment progress i can with 1 single pill a day successfully manage my HIV so I can focus on living my life. In "essence" I already consider myself functionally cured and I expect to live a long, healthy, happy and productive life. :)

Jim.
Best RTE weather report ever.
https://youtu.be/_iYATgB2Tng

HIV testing Information:Testing Information
HIV Transmission Information:Transmission Information
PEP, PrEP and Treatment as Prevention Information:PEP, PrEP Information

Offline caveyuk

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2016, 06:31:32 PM »
I've thought about this a lot.

I think - when you compare the advances from where we were 30yrs ago (no real treatment, or very toxic monotherapy), to 20yrs (advent of drug cocktails) , to 10yrs (one-a-day regimes) and to date (one-a-day, barely any side effects), it has been really amazing. It's not unreasonable to think that treatment in 10yrs time will be even easier than the 1-a-day pills we currently have and as for a 'cure' (ie. flushing HIV from it's hiding places), well I do think that will come one day but it could be 20-odd years down the line. I'm not holding my breath of course, but it's a nice thought to cling to.

I'm sort of with Jim when I think current medication is almost like a functional cure, although there is still the lingering question (for me at least) about long-term effects of any new-ish drug (not just HIV drugs!), so I hope that funding will continue for studies into something more permanent.

Offline Jmarksto

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2016, 12:46:18 AM »
Hey Grapefruits, First welcome to the forums. In terms of hope for a cure (functional at least) I think there is plenty of room for hope. We are in the infancy of a bio-medical revolution which is much broader than HIV - crisp cas9 is one example of how fast the field is moving. it is important to not let hope get in the way of acceptance though. Again, welcome.
03/15/12 Negative
06/15/12 Positive
07/11/12 CD4 790          VL 4,000
08/06/12 CD4 816/38%   VL 49,300
08/20/12 Started Complera
11/06/12 CD4   819/41% VL 38
02/11/13 CD4   935/41% VL UD
06/06/13 CD4   816/41% VL UD
10/28/13 CD4 1131/45% VL 25
02/25/14 CD4   792/37% VL UD
07/09/14 CD4 1004/39% VL UD
11/03/14 CD4   711/34% VL UD
03/13/15 CD4   833/36% VL UD
04/??/15 Truvada & Tivicay
06/01/15 CD4 1100/50% VL UD
10/16/15 CD4   826/43% VL UD

Offline geobee

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 02:33:18 PM »
I used to laugh with my sister that every day I checked the website "www.falsehope.com".  It's natural to want a cure.   On the lighter side, I do think there will be one.  Heck, they've cured HepC which was long thought incurable.  The current research into new vaccines, drugs that wake up dormant HIV, long-lasting injections of drugs/antibodies -- there is a lot going on in the field right now.

For myself, I type in "AIDS Cure" about once a week into my browser.  I also really like medicine, so I partly do it out of scientific curiosity.   Hang in there.  As they say, it gets better.

Offline grapefruitswag

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2016, 10:06:38 PM »
You all have really great input on this. Thank you for your thoughtful replies.

Offline nxt1001

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 12:44:35 AM »
There is some really promising research in the field of virology. Not just for HIV, but for all viruses. One promising research is called DRACO which has been shown in tissue studies to eliminate herpes and cold viruses, I don't think HIV has been tried yet. If this project can get the funding it needs, we could possibly have the virus equivalent of antibiotics.

That being said, while advancements are constantly being made and treatment is constantly improving, a cure is still a long way off. Yes we may have an actual cure in 10-20 years, but then there's the clinical testing and approval process. If there is a cure in our lifetime, we'll most likely already be old anyway.

So sure, it's nice to hold out hope of a cure if only for the future of humanity. But even if it does come out to market in our lifetime, we'll all still spend a good amount of time being infected. So don't get your hopes up too high that it's right around the corner. That can drive you mad. instead focus on you and making sure you're doing well physically and mentally.

Offline tryingtostay

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 07:52:02 PM »
One thing to help you understand how the research field works is alot of companies publish articles about potential breakthroughs and things that will help in the future with HIV treatment, or preventive therapies, etc  These companies are looking for investors, and a way to keep their stock holders happy.  While some investments are doing good, for us a lot of times it plays on our hope. Hope is a good thing but can also set yourself up for a fall, sometimes a big fall.  So watch how you read into these research publications ;)

Offline Matts

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 01:58:26 PM »
Norbert Bischofberger, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norbert_Bischofberger
Vice President of Gilead, promises something spectacular in an interview with Austrian Broadcaster ORF:
' a cure of HIV and some types of cancer in the future with a 6-month immunotherapy .'
http://science.orf.at/stories/1767243/  - sorry only in german.

I dont know what to think about this sentence. The man seems to be too reliable to make some bad Marketing gags. We will see in the next years :)
triumeq

Offline AusShep

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 05:10:28 PM »
Seems more like they meant speculates, vs. the google translate of spectacular below. 

Also, since the article was about price gouging, Ebola, zika, and general research, I don't think it should be construed as any sort of announcement of something in the pipeline.

"For the future, Bischofberger spectacular: the healing of AIDS by means of a six-month treatment and of certain cancers using immunotherapy - how much will they cost, remains to be seen."

Offline JosephP

• Keep looking FORWARD...
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 07:14:20 PM »

However with thanks to treatment progress i can with 1 single pill a day successfully manage my HIV so I can focus on living my life. In "essence" I already consider myself functionally cured and I expect to live a long, healthy, happy and productive life. :)

Jim.

I second Jim's statement and would expect to live long also!!
We are all dealing with this. And we will live long and productive lives!!

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 11:32:09 PM »
List of various cure trials:

Links:

http://www.treatmentactiongroup.org/cure/trials

"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2016 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.