Main Forums > Living With HIV

Sunburn

<< < (2/2)

jkinatl2:
The simple fact is that a suntan is an immune response to an injury, plain and simple. The body responds to the damage to the skin (the largest organ in the body) by producing melanin.

Depending on the condition of your overall immune system, and THAT's a debate for another day (is drug-assisted immune condition as robust or as capable as natural, or innate? Are numbers numbers, or does the QUALITY of the immune system change despite {or because of} HAART therapy??) the symptoms for sunburn might well be excascerbated in immune-impaired individuals.

Add to that, as people have mentioned, the adverse contraindications with the drugs (including the relatively inoffensive Bactrim) and it's easy to see how someone could experience a different reaction to the sun than they are used to. Add in anemia, caused by many drug combinations (as well as HIV itself) and other considerations, and, well, better to bring the zillion-proof sunblock than not.

One thing I have personally noticed (and having a Morticia Addams complexion, I tend to notice sun-related stuff anyhow) is that even when I use artificial bronzers or self-tanners, I STILL have flu-like symptoms as though I had sun poisoning. Because the chemicals in those products simply activate the melanin-producing process, which is an immunse response. For many of us, that is gonna equal pain of one sort or another.

Jonathan
(the delicate Gardenia)

Matty the Damned:
Jonathan
(the delicate Gardenia)

Awwww JK! I've always thought of you as a steel magnolia! ;)

MtD
(Who is running a terrible line in bad jokes today)

bear60:
"One thing I have personally noticed (and having a Morticia Addams complexion, I tend to notice sun-related stuff anyhow) is that even when I use artificial bronzers or self-tanners, I STILL have flu-like symptoms as though I had sun poisoning. Because the chemicals in those products simply activate the melanin-producing process, which is an immunse response. For many of us, that is gonna equal pain of one sort or another."  jkinatl
..................................................................................................
I am very concerned about a good friend who continues to use tanning salons and has a lot of health "issues" with HIV/AIDS  problems.  Should I tell him that I think his skin  looks like and old suitcase?  Or just shut up and let him crinkle up like a 90 yr old. ( He is only 35 or so)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version