Main Forums > Living With HIV

Sunburn

(1/2) > >>

otherplaces:

For some reason I ended up walking around for about 3 hours today.  I wasn't really expecting to walk so much, but I just kept going and didn't think to stop and buy sunscreen. Anyway, my shoulders are red. It's probably going to hurt some, but hopefully not too bad.

I googled sunburn and hiv and one site said we're more photosensitive to UV rays.

Is this something an hiv+ person should be alot more careful about??

Just curious.

thanks,
brian

edfu:
I'm too computer-stupid to figure out how to link to another thread here, but if you search for "What about tanning?," another thread here, there's lots of info about the sun and HIV.   

Matty the Damned:
Brian,

I believe that some of the medications we take (including Bactrim) can leave us more sensitive to sunlight. Sunburn is never a good thing and I would imagine that skin cancers (particularly the loathesome melanoma) would be worse in people with compromised immune systems.

MtD
(Who comes from Sunny Australia and knows all about skin cancer)

otherplaces:

Thanks, I found the other thread.

I guess the moral of the story is to not burn, but that's no different than pre-hiv.

brian (who usually stays in dark places)

cflas:
Jesus, what an idiot I am!!!  Just got back from three weeks in Big Sur and SF, and did a bunch hiking. Since I am less inclined to remove my shirt, I found that my face got really burned. I blamed it on the sun and wind.  It was so bad that there were a couple of nights it hurt so bad I couldn't sleep.  We went out and bought some trillion dollar SPF 45 tanning lotion and another trillion dollars for a moisturizing cream.  And all this time I've been blaming the sun and wind, when, of course, it's related to the meds (Truvada, Reyataz, Norvir and, Holy Crap!, Bactrim).  Thanks for cluing me in on something I should have been aware of.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version