Main Forums > Pre-HAART Long-Term Survivors

How can you tell?

<< < (2/9) > >>

aztecan:
Hey Pat,

I get the aches in the back, hips, knees and hands for the most part. I have a suspicion it is something arthritic-related because when I put my hands (or other body parts) in warm/hot water, the pain goes away almost instantly.

If I can find a practitioner, I would like to try the deep-tissue massage to see if it might help.

Keep me posted on how it goes.

HUGS,

Mark

AlanBama:
Hi Mark

I understand your concerns.   We really are on 'uncharted territory' with HIV and aging, aren't we?   I feel like many of my aches and pains (joints) are from being 50, and unrelated to HIV.   The gut issues, a different story...I also experience a lot of gut pain, especially after eating.   I think the belly fat has shoved my organs and intestines around or something.   I am scheduled for a G.I. consult, but they can't see me until June!  My new I.D. doctor has prescribed Pancrease MT 10 for me, and I have been taking it for a couple of weeks now; to be honest, I can't tell a whole lot of improvement with my G.I. issues (bloating, pain, discomfort, horrible gas, etc).

Hope you get some answers on your next doctor's visit.

Hugs,
Alan

Moffie65:
Mark and Ray,

Very familiar with lipo, gut pain, and joint pain.  I used to have arthritic pain (age 36 through 41) in one hip and have seen it on an x-ray.  When I moved to New Mexico, that pain left for good and I haven't had any arthritic pain since(dry climate).  However, the meds have caused me a huge amount of joint pain from time to time, and the gut pain is almost excruciating at times.  

Please remember guys that HIV is alive and well in our intestines and is eating away at the cells that keep our intestinal walls intact.  I have absolutely no proof of my assumptions, but logic drives me to believe that most of us suffer from gut pain somewhere along the way with a long term profile.  It just seems to me that there couldn't possibly be at least some permanent damage from this, and I wonder if maybe someone shouldn't start a study on these very ugly gut problems.  I am just over it and it really is damaging my quality of life at this point.  I hate making plans and then end up in the recliner just because I don't want to deal with being so much in pain and have to face people.  I have also found that if I eat about 8 oz of yogurt daily without fail, the gut pain is somewhat reduced, and it certainly helps with digestion and diarreha.

I find a load of relief from the green smoke, and sometime hit that with my first cup of java in the morning, but never close to when I will be riding my bike.  Need the balance to deal with feet that cannot feel the ground, or the footrests.

I also try to eat no less than four light meals a day and usually five, and I find that really helps with some of the pain.  Other than that guys, it is true that your food intake will reduce with age and now I eat about half of what I did only five years ago.

Love,

frenchpat:
Mark,

for arthritic pains, try devil's claw, also know as Harpagophytum procumbens, an age old remedy. Additionally, joints could do with increased intake of silica which can be found in bamboo shoots and Urtica dioica.

That's for the phyto based stuff. Maybe worth a try.

About the massage, and if part of the problem is akin to chronic tendinitis, the reasoning is that massage will stimulate the manufacturing of collagen by the body and help circulation in the area (tendons are not that well  irrigated), all processes that help heal the area.

You mentioned you have lipo and I was also told that with lipo we can be more prone to bursitis, inflammation of the bursa, little cushions that act as pulleys/gliding areas for our tendons. I resolved a massive one on my left elbow using a plant tincture. The first doc I went to see wanted to give me antibiotics (inflamed bursa can turn to infected bursa...).

Hope this helps,

Pat

AlanBama:

--- Quote from: Moffie65 on April 11, 2007, 11:19:09 AM ---most of us suffer from gut pain somewhere along the way with a long term profile.  It just seems to me that there couldn't possibly be at least some permanent damage from this, and I wonder if maybe someone shouldn't start a study on these very ugly gut problems.  I am just over it and it really is damaging my quality of life at this point.  I hate making plans and then end up in the recliner just because I don't want to deal with being so much in pain and have to face people.  
--- End quote ---

Tim, I feel you on this one.   It is really affecting my quality of life as well.  I do not eat anything in the morning (not good, I know) but my stomach feels better with nothing in it.   I normally eat lunch at noon, and am o.k. for awhile....then by 3 to 4 o'clock in the afternoon, the bloating and discomfort has begun.   I basically feel like my intestines are just "worn out", you know?   They hurt and they're sore.   I have alternated between diarrhea and constipation for quite some time now, and probably use fleet enemas too often.   

All my G.I. issues certainly affect my quality of life, and not in a good way.   Sex life?  When you are bloated and uncomfortable and gassy?
Not cute.   I find myself spending more time in my recliner, and less time around people.   The Pancrease has helped some, but I honestly can't see that much improvement.   I wish there was an easy answer, but I'm afraid there isn't going to be.   It is time for a colonoscopy, and I am going to request an endoscopy also.

Hugs,
Alan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version