Main Forums > Pre-HAART Long-Term Survivors

New insurance and billing...

<< < (2/3) > >>

J.R.E.:

--- Quote from: aztecan on April 11, 2007, 09:59:15 AM ---Hey Ray,

What Tim said regarding insurance assistance. Here in New Mexico, it isn't Ryan White but the ASOs who pay this through other funding, part of which probably comes from Ryan White, but that's another issue.

With my ASO, the rule is you are eligible for insurance assistance if you are on ARVs and earn less than 300 percent of poverty.

What Tim said about not counting your lover's income is important too. Since gay men cannot marry, your partner's income isn't considered with this program - and some others. (It is different for HOPWA, but that's another story.)

Anyway, its food for thought. I'm sorry you are being stuck with these co-pays. So far (knocks wood) mine are still fully covered.

HUGS,

Mark

--- End quote ---

Hello Mark,

You were posting as I was typing. I don't include Ed's Income. As I stated above, Im gonna see what plays out here, with the insurance company and Quest. I am OK for the time being. Sooner or later, the time will come, when I will have to get involved with a program, ( when I am no longer able to work ) but things are somewhat stable right now.

I have also been getting quite a bit of information from my doctors office ... so, I am trying to stay on top of all this as best I can.

((HUGS))------Ray

allanq:
Ray,

Your situation underscores a sad reality with insurance nowadays. Whenever an employer announces a change in its health insurance program, it's ALWAYS to the detriment of the employees.

Allan

SirPrize:
It has been my experience over the past years to "always" question the billing practices of the particular insurance company or laboratory service.  More times than not an incorrect ICD-9 code has been submitted incorrectly from the requesting physician or a transcription error at the labs.  After numerous telephone contacts this usually gets resolved, albeit a pain in the butt to deal with.

A word of advice to anyone that may just starting to have routine labs, switching insurance companies, etc:  Keep your billing records for a couple of years before destroying.  I have had to dig mine out several times to prove a particular service had been paid OR show that the invoicing office has misapplied a particular payment.

jack:
quest is horrible. They always send me bills,even though my insurance covers it. I dont even open them anymore, just toss them. Why do all companies in health care have such horrible paperwork problems? It is a huge cost when you cant figure out who owes you what.

J.R.E.:

--- Quote from: SirPrize on April 11, 2007, 01:30:05 PM ---It has been my experience over the past years to "always" question the billing practices of the particular insurance company or laboratory service.  More times than not an incorrect ICD-9 code has been submitted incorrectly from the requesting physician or a transcription error at the labs.  After numerous telephone contacts this usually gets resolved, albeit a pain in the butt to deal with.

--- End quote ---

Oh yes, I agree completely with you on this. I am one of those that very seldom am comfortable throwing away billing statements etc. This bill I received today has all the codes listed, and is very itemised, so I will be hanging on to these statements.

--- Quote from: jack on April 11, 2007, 01:37:26 PM ---quest is horrible. They always send me bills,even though my insurance covers it. I dont even open them anymore, just toss them. Why do all companies in health care have such horrible paperwork problems? It is a huge cost when you cant figure out who owes you what.

--- End quote ---

Usually everytime I receive a bill, I pay it, almost the same day I get it. I am thinking, that things are just probably just crossing in the mail, But when I made this payment this morning, something told me afterwords, I should have held off , and questioned it first before making the payment. I"ll be watching it closely in the future.

Thanks-------Ray

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version