Quantcast
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 29, 2016, 03:56:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 692510
  • Total Topics: 54559
  • Online Today: 192
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 94
Total: 96

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Introduce yourself  (Read 142279 times)

Offline CMylight

Re: Introduce yourself
« Reply #300 on: March 31, 2016, 01:28:48 PM »
Yes Wade, it is and thankfully it's not used anymore, but it's in our history to remember where came from. Thank you for your response.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #301 on: April 01, 2016, 10:55:43 AM »
Agreed !
When that was used 30 years ago seems like another life time
and I guess now it was.
I place my infection in 84 and was diagnosed on my death bed in 95. 
I have not forgotten , but I tend to keep a lot of those memories locked away.
Again nice to meet you.

Best, Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
 HIV Transmission and Risks
 You can read more about Testing here:
 HIV Testing
 You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
 HIV TasP
 You can read more about HIV prevention here:
 HIV prevention
 You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
 PEP and PrEP

Offline floridartist

« Reply #302 on: May 10, 2016, 08:31:58 PM »
Hello, My name is John,  I was diagnosed 30 years ago on May 6th 1986 from the Health Department on Miami Beach Florida, the test back then was called HTLV-III
Back then I had 2200 T-cells, today I am hanging in with 588 T-cells. During the AIDS crises in Miami I got involved with going to many spiritual meetings at a clubhouse called;  Body Positive resource center, It was a perfect setup, they had a gym, art classes, meeting rooms for AA and NA, Yoga, The healing circle, that's where they said to; look for the white light,  but what I saw was a gold light. We would laugh, and many times we would gather with tears as another friend would die, we would make many beautiful AIDS memorial quilts, as friends seemed to die in waves. Then the day came when they had to close the doors of Body Positive resource center as there was only a handful of members left and we couldn't afford to keep the place open any longer. I miss the people I met at the center,  If anyone remembers Body Positive Resource Center, I,d like to hear from you, Thank you.
John

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #303 on: May 11, 2016, 07:26:32 AM »
John, welcome to the forums.  Thanks for sharing. I have never been to Miami Beach but that place you are talking about sounds wonderful and something that would still be very useful today.  I wish we had something like that here.

I do look forward to reading more from you. It's always interesting to hear from another long term'er.  We are a unique group.  Take care!

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info http://www.aidsmap.com/Condoms/page/1044833/
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. http://www.poz.com/factsheets/fs_2014_09_prep.pdf

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Transmission_17146.shtml

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #304 on: May 11, 2016, 08:35:14 AM »
Hi John,
I spent those years in Key West and they were indeed bad times .
I never went to Miami back then infact i rarely left the island...lol  No Car  ;)
Sure you will hear from someone, we had lots that would travel down for a
weekend get away and I know that things were similar in both communities .
Welcome to the Forums.

Best, Wade
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline floridartist

« Reply #305 on: Yesterday at 11:47:33 AM »
Thanks Betty, Thanks Wade, pretty cool, I feel like I got a couple of new connections with you guys.

Offline Wade

• Global Moderator
« Reply #306 on: Yesterday at 12:08:48 PM »
You do and Welcome !
HIV 101 - Basics
 HIV 101
 HIV Testing
 HIV TasP
 HIV prevention
 PEP and PrEP

Offline konkrypton

• Everything works...in theory.
    • Pan/Satyr Lover
« Reply #307 on: Yesterday at 06:37:02 PM »
Hi guys and gals. I've been on Poz for a few years but do more lurking than posting. I shake my head at all these folks that can pinpoint when they were infected. I was diagnosed in 1988, and hit my "half way point" last year, so I've now been Poz longer than I was Negative. I'm 55, so I've been poz for 28 years this year. I totally relate to Leatherman's story, as I took care of my partner while he got worse and worse. He was 17 yrs older than me and even though we were diagnosed within a month or two of each other and started the same meds, he didn't get any better. We were together 9 years in total.
Our doctor believed in early intervention, so started us on AZT before we were below 300 CD4. My health insurance tried to fight paying, saying that early treatment was "experimental." I had to hire a lawyer to fight them and we won. Meanwhile, my Bobby got histoplasmosis and I had to give him amphotericyn (aka "Shake & Bake" because you got fever and chills) infusions which were hard on him.
Then I had a dentist refuse me treatment because I disclosed my status, and I went to the state of Missouri who said he was in violation of "public accommodation" laws, and gave me a choice of trying to sue for money or force him to educate himself and treat poz patients. I chose the latter.
Then as Bobby got worse, I moved a hospital bed into the living room because he could no longer handle the stairs in our home, purchased just a couple years earlier. The state of Missouri got me a home health nurse who looked after Bobby during the days while I was at work, and I took care of him after I got home at 5:30. I slept in the recliner so I could be close if he needed anything. At his last doctor appointment, the doc said he might have 6 months. He barely made it 3. I watched a teacher with a Master's in English who wrote a novel and wrote me poetry reduced to being able to say "yes" and "no" only. It was heartbreaking.
When he went comatose, we had to take him to the hospital and they put him under a cooling blanket. He had a brain infection, encephalopathy, and only lasted 2 weeks after we moved him. I miss him still.
My second hubby of 12 years I lost stupidly. He took too many pain pills after dental surgery because he hated dentists and was afraid of the pain. He died in his sleep. When I woke to that, I was pretty hysterical. Took some counseling, but I'm better now.
So here I am. Single and hating it. I've spent most of my adult life in a relationship and with an fairly active sex life. The last 8 years have been hard, but my CD4 is 700+ and my viral load is undetectable. I'm in pretty good health, though I've had back surgery (after a fall) and hip replacements (due to osteonecrosis from some meds I was on). My attitude is I'm too damned ornery to die!
Love to you all. We're stronger together.
KK
--
I distrust morning people. I suspect they setup the rules of life while the rest of us slept.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2016 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.