POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2015, 08:55:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 661693
  • Total Topics: 50793
  • Online Today: 189
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 119
Total: 123

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: An on-going thread  (Read 47312 times)

Offline wolfter

Re: An on-going thread
« Reply #850 on: April 13, 2015, 09:22:21 AM »
Greg,

Did you try to increase your dose of Trazadone to 100mg as I mentioned? The max dose is 200mg so it may be worth a try. I'll repeat this again to you... I had insomnia too while on Isentress and my doc prescribed 50mg. I gave it two weeks and called him to up the dose to 100mg. It did the trick for a long period of time for me anyway.

I think your loss of appetite could also be related to lack of sleep. Just a guess. Ask your doctor.  :)

Not yet, I chose instead to add a 3rd glass of wine to my sleep ritual.  I've really have to get past this negative idea of taking these types of meds.

When I switched off the Isentress, I immediately started having a ravaging appetite and actually gained too much weight too quickly.  And now, it's back to where I don't feel hunger pains and therefore forget to eat.  So far, I've lost about 7 pounds so I won't address this until I get my ideal weight back.  Only about 7 lbs to go to achieve that.

This begs the question; Is there some component of Isentress that disturbs the ability to experience hunger pains?  I've not found a single link where anyone else has experienced it so it's probably just my uniqueness?
Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Offline bubba53

« Reply #851 on: April 13, 2015, 09:45:29 AM »
I've not noticed any change in my appetite,nor have I read
any place that to be a side affect. That doesn't mean anything though
everyone's different where side affects are concerned.
You do need to make sure to get enough sleep though.
I absolutely can't function on less than 8-9 hours.
"Who put the pepper in the....Vaseline  ? " Coffee Butler

Offline wolfter

« Reply #852 on: April 13, 2015, 09:50:32 AM »
I purchased a new mattress set last week thinking perhaps my old one might be part of the problem.  Think I might be replacing it already.  I've always purchased extra firm but this one just seems too stiff.  I moved to the couch last night and slept about 4 hours straight.  Perhaps I need to get one that's more plush.

I'll put this existing one in one of the guest rooms which might assist with guests not staying too long....lol
Complacency is the enemy.  ;)  Challenge yourself daily for maximum  return on investment.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #853 on: April 13, 2015, 09:58:05 AM »
Greg, lol.  I take Stribild now, and only sleep about 5 hours.  I wonder if some of it is aging with HIV.  Of course I can't ask my doctor; he doesn't know.  We can make educated guesses, can't we.  Maybe a combination of aging and menopause.  I know just having menopause can cause sleeplessness, as can aging.  What a fun combo to have (not)!

Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline wolfter

« Reply #854 on: April 13, 2015, 10:07:09 AM »
Greg, lol.  I take Stribild now, and only sleep about 5 hours.  I wonder if some of it is aging with HIV.  Of course I can't ask my doctor; he doesn't know.  We can make educated guesses, can't we.  Maybe a combination of aging and menopause.  I know just having menopause can cause sleeplessness, as can aging.  What a fun combo to have (not)!

Betty

I think I'm too young to be suffering from menopause but perhaps these toxic drugs caused me to start early?   :o

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #855 on: April 13, 2015, 10:14:48 AM »
Yes, Greg, I would say that is the case lol.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Offline wolfter

« Reply #856 on: April 13, 2015, 10:38:41 AM »
OK, been lollygagging all morning to avoid doing anything productive.  But since one of my trucks is in a precarious place in my yard, I should address it.  I went to the lumber yard to purchase material for my new deck and had what I'll call a bout of good luck.  I noticed on the return trip that the brakes felt spongy.  When I turned onto my road the pedal went right to the floor.

By the time I reached my driveway, I had nothing.   :o  Luckily, the yard was so wet that it aided me in stopping.  I blew a wheel cylinder and lost all my brake fluid.  Thankfully it happened here instead of when I was in town on the busy highway. 

Offline mitch777

« Reply #857 on: April 13, 2015, 04:24:35 PM »
Not yet, I chose instead to add a 3rd glass of wine to my sleep ritual.  I've really have to get past this negative idea of taking these types of meds.

Alcohol will only compound the issue of REM sleep. It may GET you to sleep but it won't keep you sleeping. You really do need to get past your phobia dear. I would bet you might be more open minded about Trazadone if you spoke to your doc OR the other Greg. lol.

This begs the question; Is there some component of Isentress that disturbs the ability to experience hunger pains?  I've not found a single link where anyone else has experienced it so it's probably just my uniqueness?

It might beg the question that your lack of sleep is the cause of your appetite loss. ;)

And YIKES about your truck brakes!

32 years hiv+ (oct. 2013) with a curtsy.

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #858 on: April 13, 2015, 06:59:56 PM »
Greg,

I second the use of Trazadone as a sleeping aid.  I've tried every sleeping pill and they all made me feel drunk the next morning.  Even half-doses, same effect.  Then I tried Trazadone... it really works.  The half life of the drug is 4 hours, so within 8 hours the entire dose is out of your system.  The difference I found is that Trazadone does not "put" you to sleep, rather it "allows" you to sleep.

You would also need to avoid excessive alcohol while using it and a delightful side effect, can be really nice wood.  It comes in various strengths, with max dose of 200mg.  I use 100mg tops and I get the best sleep.  I awake alert, refreshed and I don't need to take afternoon naps.

Joe

Offline mitch777

« Reply #859 on: April 13, 2015, 07:48:23 PM »
Thank you Joe. Sometimes another voice of reason can help. Your experience is the same as my own. 

I'm not so sure about the wood but I doubt Greg ever had a problem with that! lol.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2015, 07:50:35 PM by mitch777 »

Offline Joe K

• Global Moderator
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #860 on: April 13, 2015, 07:54:56 PM »
Thank you Joe. Sometimes another voice of reason can help. Your experience is the same as my own. 

I'm not so sure about the wood but I doubt Greg ever had a problem with that! lol.

Mark,

With all the psych meds I take, I'll take all the help I can get in the lumber department.   ;)

Joe

Offline Jeff G

• How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #861 on: April 13, 2015, 08:43:14 PM »
Trazodone is my friend .

Offline wolfter

« Reply #862 on: April 13, 2015, 08:53:17 PM »
I still have my prescription of them.  I think my doctor taught me a lesson.  He'll do whatever I want if I badger him.  Then he monitors my stupidity and acts.  :)  The older I get, the more I realize most people I know should take a mood stablizing substance.   If you google meigs county ohio and marijuana you'll discover why those boring ass family members sat in chairs and laughed for hours. 

OH, and if you can't tell, we had fire and drinks tonight.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #863 on: April 15, 2015, 08:18:52 AM »
OK, I've self medicated for the last 2 nights.  I have a 50mg prescription for Trazadone  but it's pretty much stockpiled now as I try to avoid taking them.  I upped it to 100mg and have slept pretty well both nights.  I slept  restfully for a full 6 hours last night.  Thanks all!

OH, and I actually need the antithesis of a wood assistance drug. 

And as I suspected, it almost has to be the Isentress that causes my extremity numbness.  The hands and arms aren't bad as they don't cause me to fall but simply drop shit.  But I'm having to be super careful with my jelly legs once again.  OH the joys of horrible resistance issues. :o

Offline Jeff G

• How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #864 on: April 15, 2015, 09:39:52 AM »
OK, I've self medicated for the last 2 nights.  I have a 50mg prescription for Trazadone  but it's pretty much stockpiled now as I try to avoid taking them.  I upped it to 100mg and have slept pretty well both nights.  I slept  restfully for a full 6 hours last night.  Thanks all!

OH, and I actually need the antithesis of a wood assistance drug. 

And as I suspected, it almost has to be the Isentress that causes my extremity numbness.  The hands and arms aren't bad as they don't cause me to fall but simply drop shit.  But I'm having to be super careful with my jelly legs once again.  OH the joys of horrible resistance issues. :o

I have the jelly leg thing ... forgive me if you have already answered this but have you had an MRI or CT scan done of your spine ? My docs assure me my leg problems are disk related and I have an appointment on the 28 th to do more test to see what can be done about it .

Offline wolfter

« Reply #865 on: April 15, 2015, 01:28:58 PM »
I have the jelly leg thing ... forgive me if you have already answered this but have you had an MRI or CT scan done of your spine ? My docs assure me my leg problems are disk related and I have an appointment on the 28 th to do more test to see what can be done about it .

More than I care to remember.  :)  With the ole crypto, all the testing procedures required poking, prodding, and taking pictures.  I'll respectfully disagree with my doc at my upcoming appointment as he thinks a lot of my residual issues are related to that horrific disease.

BUT....it totally stopped when I was off the Isentress and these issues returned fairly quickly after resuming it.  But if I'm correct and it's an affect of the medication then it's moot.  I'd rather be clumsy and continue to fall rather than ever again take norvir.  Twice now with the same horrid results.  Or maybe I simply didn't notice the issue as I slept half the day and was still too exhausted to do much?   :o

Offline Jeff G

• How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #866 on: April 15, 2015, 07:42:46 PM »
More than I care to remember.  :)  With the ole crypto, all the testing procedures required poking, prodding, and taking pictures.  I'll respectfully disagree with my doc at my upcoming appointment as he thinks a lot of my residual issues are related to that horrific disease.

BUT....it totally stopped when I was off the Isentress and these issues returned fairly quickly after resuming it.  But if I'm correct and it's an affect of the medication then it's moot.  I'd rather be clumsy and continue to fall rather than ever again take norvir.  Twice now with the same horrid results.  Or maybe I simply didn't notice the issue as I slept half the day and was still too exhausted to do much?   :o

OMG sounds like you might have aids or something . I sometimes feel just as in the dark about whats going on with my body after seeing doctors then I did before I went to see them .

Offline wolfter

« Reply #867 on: April 16, 2015, 03:31:44 AM »
OMG sounds like you might have aids or something . I sometimes feel just as in the dark about whats going on with my body after seeing doctors then I did before I went to see them .

I've got me vintage AIDS....circa 1986.  :)

Offline mitch777

« Reply #868 on: April 16, 2015, 06:31:26 PM »
I don't have a jelly leg but I have become more clumsy these past few years. When I saw my neurosurgeon he asked me if I had been having this going on. I said yes and he attributed it to the nerves being pressured in my neck. We shall see.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #869 on: Yesterday at 09:07:43 PM »
shout out to you all.  Read the forums for a while this evening and was devoting caringness and that stuff.  Is it just me and are LTS just worn and want to enjoy what we have left and instead of wallowing in what we've lost? 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2015 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.