Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:56:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773301
  • Total Topics: 66349
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 614
Total: 615

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: HIV patient names to be tracked...  (Read 8232 times)

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
HIV patient names to be tracked...
« on: April 02, 2007, 09:16:31 pm »

Apr 1, 3:54 PM EDT

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/V/VT_HIV_NAMING_NAMES_VTOL-?SITE=NHCON&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

HIV patient names to be tracked in all 50 states by year's end

By CARLA K. JOHNSON
Associated Press Writer

CHICAGO (AP) -- The names of people infected with HIV will be tracked in all 50 states by the end of 2007, marking a victory for federal health officials and a quiet defeat for AIDS advocates who wanted to keep patients' names out of state databases.

Vermont, Maryland and Hawaii, the last states not tracking the names of HIV-positive people, are quickly moving toward adopting names-based surveillance. Eight other states and Washington, D.C., began collecting the names of HIV patients last year, and Massachusetts switched in January.

The states are bowing to federal pressure so they won't lose money for medications and health services for patients.

This is the first year federal funding has been tied to names-based surveillance of HIV. More than $1.4 billion in federal money will be distributed this fiscal year based on new formulas that include numbers of people with HIV counted by states using names. In some states, including Illinois, millions of dollars are at stake.

That's why advocates say they've quit fighting - although they still worry that collecting names will deter some people from getting tested and seeking treatment, and about the possibility of names being released due to security breaches.

"I have patients who are very high-profile individuals - physicians in practice, people who are politicians" who don't want their real names reported, said Dr. Dan Berger, medical director of NorthStar Healthcare in Chicago's Lincoln Park.

In a 2005 security breach in Palm Beach County, Fla., the names of 6,500 HIV and AIDS patients were mistakenly e-mailed to 800 county health workers. Other security breaches have occurred in California and Kentucky.

Some worry that names-based reporting could have the greatest effect on whether minorities and the poor get tested and treated because they may be less likely to trust the government to keep their names secret.

In a low-income Chicago neighborhood 10 miles from Berger's office, patients now are told they must release their names to the state to get medications. Bruce Jackson, director of the Gift House, which offers HIV testing and counseling in southwest Chicago, said some clients are apprehensive, fearing their families or friends will find out they're infected.

Reporting names "can affect if (disadvantaged people) come back for care and it can affect how they describe to other people their experience of getting tested," said Catherine Hanssens of New York's Center for HIV Law and Policy.

There are an estimated 40,000 new HIV infections annually in the United States.

Methods of tracking cases varied from state to state until recently. Some states, including Illinois, and the city of Philadelphia previously tracked HIV with identifying codes that preserved anonymity and were unique to each patient.

Illinois' code-based system was "instituted to protect people's confidentiality because of fears of stigmatization and potential disclosure to insurance companies and family members," said Dr. William Wong, medical director of the AIDS division of the Chicago Department of Public Health.

Illinois started names-based HIV surveillance Jan. 1, 2006, because of federal pressure.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention rejected code-based systems after finding they could lead to double-counting and were cumbersome for health care providers. The CDC announced its support for names-based HIV reporting in 1999, and strengthened that to a recommendation in 2005.

"After many evaluations of code-based systems, it became clear that those systems do not meet CDC standards for HIV data," said Dr. Timothy Mastro, deputy director of the Division for HIV/AIDS Prevention at the CDC. Diseases such as syphilis, tuberculosis and AIDS already were tracked by patient names, he said, making HIV the exception.

Starting this fiscal year, the CDC's HIV numbers were used, along with AIDS case numbers, by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to calculate funding to cities and states receiving formula grants through the Ryan White CARE Act, the government's largest HIV/AIDS program. The formulas include only HIV data from states using names-based surveillance.

AIDS advocates, who argued against collecting names of HIV patients in the 1990s, preferred code-based systems to protect the confidentiality of patients and said the CDC ignored evidence that codes could work.

"I've not so much changed my opinion as surrendered," said Ron Johnson, deputy executive director of Aids Action in Washington, D.C. "I still believe code-based reporting is valid and is preferable for HIV reporting. It, for all practical purposes, has become a losing battle."

In Vermont, AIDS advocates succeeded in getting tough security measures written into a bill that would switch the state from a code-based to a names-based surveillance system, said AIDS advocate and Vermont resident Terje Anderson.

The bill prohibits use of networked computers and laptops to store or process any data identifying people with HIV, and allows civil lawsuits for malicious disclosure of that information.

Funding shifts caused by adding the HIV cases to the Ryan White funding formula won't become clear until HRSA makes its awards to cities and states later this year, said Murray Penner of the National Alliance of State and Territorial AIDS Directors.

Housing grants to people with AIDS may be next to use the HIV case numbers to drive funding. The Department of Housing and Urban Development has proposed the change to Congress for fiscal year 2008, said David Vos director of HIV/AIDS housing for HUD.

For now, public health officials are trying to reassure people who test positive for HIV that stiff security measures protect state databases of names.

In Illinois, staff members handling names take an oath of confidentiality and get special training. The names are in a stand-alone computer system, behind locked doors.

"I've never been in that room where they're kept. The security is that tight," said Tom Hughes, a deputy director with the Illinois Department of Public Health.

Participating states strip names and other identifying information from their HIV reports before transmitting them in an encrypted form to the CDC, Hughes and other health officials said.

Berger, the Chicago doctor, said he has told some patients not to give him their real names. He has enrolled patients anonymously in medical studies of HIV drugs without reporting their names, he said.

Health officials said it's impossible to predict how many doctors and patients are finding ways of keeping names out of databases, and whether HIV case numbers will show any decline that can be connected to names-based reporting.

In Illinois, reports to the state of new HIV cases dropped by 14 percent from 2005, the last year of code-based reporting, to 2006, the first year the state used a names-based system. But there was an 8 percent drop in new HIV cases the prior year, long before the change to a names-based system.

With better drugs forestalling the progression of HIV to AIDS, people with no apparent symptoms face knowing their names will be on a state list for decades - protected by security measures, but nevertheless subject to exposure.

"In many ways, it's a different world today than the world that motivated people to insist on anonymous systems for tracking HIV," said Suzanne Goldberg, director of the Sexuality and Gender Law Clinic at Columbia Law School in New York. "A lot has changed, but unfortunately not enough."

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

UPDATED: As of April, 2nd 2024,Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @593 /  CD4 % @ 18 %

Lymphocytes,total-3305 (within range)

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline RapidRod

Re: HIV patient names to be tracked...
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 09:55:38 pm »
Ray, I knew I was on the data base for a couple years now. I'm not concerned. I talk in schools about HIV/AIDS and other groups and I'm not closeted about being diagnosed with AIDS. The comments, "You don't look sick." still gets me.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 10:01:37 pm »
I got a call from San Diego health services the next day I was diagnosed with Syphilis. I told the girl "Woah, so much for anonymity. I signed a form about HIV stating that I was okay to disclose my name to the health dept, not Syphilis". She said that it's automatic, I don't have to sign consent for anything else, it's automatically disclosed to the health dept and the health dept can disclose to higher authorities if authorized by law.

She begged me to give the name of my bf so she could call him. I refused.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 10:16:20 pm »
This was bound to happen for Aids is the new plague where a cure must be found.  Whether we like it on not, the government must have some check on the immigration.  In addition, imagine Aids or HIV as a bio weapon. Next to global warming, the big fear is airborne Aids, with mass infections, global deaths and disasters.  On the other hand, with the help of research, it may help find the cure for cancer, the common cold and other major diseases.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 10:31:05 pm »
Let me know when HIV becomes an AIRBORNE virus.

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 10:33:10 pm »
i'll let you know 2 minutes after the world ends

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 10:37:14 pm »
So you don't find this discriminatory, yet compare the term "neggie" to the N word?

Interesting.

This was bound to happen for Aids is the new plague where a cure must be found.  Whether we like it on not, the government must have some check on the immigration.  In addition, imagine Aids or HIV as a bio weapon. Next to global warming, the big fear is airborne Aids, with mass infections, global deaths and disasters.  On the other hand, with the help of research, it may help find the cure for cancer, the common cold and other major diseases.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 10:37:54 pm »
Blood Borne Airogens - sweet....

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 10:38:03 pm »
I am opposed to this for ideological reasons... but practically... I don't care.

I am well aware of the fact that the United States government couldn't find its ass with two hands and a map.

Like how it couldn't find New Orleans that one time after that unpleasantness.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline SASA39

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2007, 04:06:48 am »
It is a public secret that In Serbia the Police forces allready have names of all the HIV. Their excuse is " when they have to arrest an  HIV IV drug user with a criminal record they have to take additional measures of precaution" ! ? !   :o

And what if you have a neg. wife with a kids ?  :o

And I have heard that the are checking all the private depository  bank boxes every six month. Their excuse is " maybe there it could be some hided heroin " ! ? ! 

Talking about government suppression......................
                                                    Al
12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
"aids as a bio weapon????" Sheeeeeshhhh!!!!
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2007, 02:15:37 pm »
imagine Aids or HIV as a bio weapon. Next to global warming, the big fear is airborne Aids, with mass infections, global deaths and disasters. 
  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Dream On! Big fear for you maybe or the uninformed. Your big fear? Whose big fear? Try to learn a little about this disease (your disease?) before you post nonsense that might actually get someone worried about the impossible.

There doesn't have to be a cure for this or any other disease, and you can cure your cold easily with a few thousand mg of Vitamin C. >:( -megasept

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2007, 02:26:54 pm »

A quote from 1998 ( From theBody )

"HIV names reporting is an oxymoron; by discouraging testing, it won't produce the names that such a system depends upon for success," said Steven Fisher, AIDS Action Communications Director. "Without better access to health care, names reporting is the Titanic all over again -- we're creating passenger lists without providing enough lifeboats."

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline hussy_24

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2007, 05:59:59 pm »
lol airborne aids.....

it might be possible, ya never know >.>

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2007, 06:07:49 pm »
Let me know when HIV becomes an AIRBORNE virus.

SON OF A BITCH will we be busy in the AM I INFECTED forums.... holy christ.

Dear Mr. Rapid Rod, I have had an exposure to the NEW HIV virus.  Canyou please advice, I visited a sex worker while on vacation at The Whitehouse and Jenna Bush and I were partying and doing blow off of one of the antique desks in that little round room when she pulled me close to her and asked me to pull her finger.  She then proceeded to fart in my general direction.  Do you think I could have contracted HIV from this.  I am so sure I have it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2007, 06:10:15 pm by ACinKC »
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2007, 06:46:20 pm »
lol airborne aids.....

it might be possible, ya never know >.>

For our "Am I infected Guests :

"Can HIV be transmitted through casual contact (shaking hands, hugging, using a toilet, drinking from the same glass, or sneezing and coughing)?
HIV is not transmitted through day-to-day contact in workplaces, schools, or social settings. HIV is not transmitted through shaking hands, hugging, or casual kissing. A person cannot become infected from touching a toilet seat, a drinking fountain, a door knob, dishes, drinking glasses, food, or pets.

HIV is not an airborne or foodborne virus, and it does not live long outside the body. HIV can be found in blood, semen, or vaginal fluid of an HIV-positive person."

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2007, 10:13:30 pm »
I must admit i'm stunned at some of the "Am I Infected" questions.

Milker.
nov 2 08 start Atripla

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2007, 11:24:10 pm »
I feel the same as Rod on this one, doesn't bother me....I've been on SSD for so long, I'm pretty sure the government knows I have AIDS  :D
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline MitchMiller

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2007, 11:36:07 pm »
One of the "uses" of this information would be to quickly determine those who have HIV if a flu pandemic hits.  People with HIV would most likely be denied access to therapy if it had to be rationed.  This has already been floated as part of an emergency plan in some states.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2007, 11:49:34 pm »
Reducing the margin of error (meaning double counts) = they're cracking down and tightening the belt, or the noose, depending on who you ask  :-\
« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 12:35:26 am by allopathicholistic »

Offline Jeff64

« Reply #19 on: April 04, 2007, 10:18:50 pm »
As if there is really a right to privacy....there isn't.

I could not care less about privacy...it is overrated anyway.

Offline egello

• cb
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2007, 02:59:51 am »
i oppose this policy,,, it only took less than half a generation for ultra liberal germany to go ultra fascist. u never know which way the public opinion or the government will turn. having actual names of "sick" people that is suppose to be a threat to well being of a society is very scary.
1/29/07 14 T, 300 k V, 1.8 %
2/22/07 197 T, 247 V, 6.8 %
3/27/07 164 T, <50 V, 5.4 %
5/28/07 177 T, <50 V, 8.2 %
7/28/07 214 T, <50 V, 9.6 %
10/3/07 380 T, <50 V, 10 %

Offline Ody

• Diagnonis 3/86
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2007, 12:43:39 pm »
Seems as if its the 80's all over again!!! Some wanted us tagged, tattooed, destroyed, put in camps, and as my dad said, give them all California, it's falling of the planet anyway.

Everyone joined in the fight and we put those ideas down, along with a bunch of other ignorant ideas!!

Now what has happened? Is this the proof of lack of involvement and mile stones being destroyed? Proof that the numbers in the HIV/AIDS Activist Army are dwindling and less than attractive? History repeating it's self in a new way?!

You can dam well take it to the bank should massive health issues arise we will be the first to be denied treatment, the infection rate is going to sky rocket, testing is going to decrease, and treatment is going to subside causing people to drop like flies in the old days!

So much for the if I get it I just pop a pill and go on with life, no one will ever know mentality!

They know I'm poz, that is if they actually listened on the calls, looked at petitions, read mail, and emails....

So anyone up for cleaning out the cobwebbed trenches that have been abandon? Bring oil to lube the rusting weapons...oh look..tea and crumpets, how nice! HERE WE GO AGAIN!!  >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(
Take a deep breath and forgive yourself, no since in you making it harder, that's someone else's job and you know they are more qualified, just ask um!

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2007, 05:41:23 pm »

Has anyone read any of the responses on the following page. "Rural Mom" is real special. Talk about, going back to the 80's She suggested we all be quarantined.

http://www.sj-r.com/sections/news/stories/111370.asp

Don't forget to leave a comment. I think they are stuill taking them...

Ray

cd4/cd8 ratio -0.31

cd8 %-57

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline red_Dragon888

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2007, 06:59:12 pm »
So you don't find this discriminatory, yet compare the term "neggie" to the N word?

Interesting.

I am over the N word. 

Offline Nico

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2007, 08:33:44 pm »
Well I think it sucks.  Another Bush attack.  He should shave his beaver.  Once this begins, I wonder what will be next?  Remember the internment camps during WWII?  I am sure "Focus on the Family" would love that idea....

Oh and yes, I blame Bush  and Cheney, they can kiss my lilly white homo ass!

Rog

Edit- added one ass to many..
Poz since 1990.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2007, 09:42:41 pm »
Well i'm going to apply for citizenship earlier than what I had planned, just because I don't want to be unable to go back home from vacation because they have my name in their database and start blocking non-citizens with HIV from entering the US.

Milker.
nov 2 08 start Atripla

Offline way.out.west

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2007, 10:11:17 pm »
It’s human nature for people to take their recent experience and project it indefinitely into the future, as if life will always remain the same as it is today.  But history shows that’s not how life works.

Little by little, we give up our rights and protections, believing that  small sacrifices are needed for the common good.  We all believe there’s no reason to be concerned, because after all, “the government is responsible for our common welfare, and if the the government needs to know that I have HIV, that’s okay”.

The reality is that in the face of  adversity, the population at large quickly becomes fearful – and when people become fearful, they feel a need to seek out and punish those who are “responsible”.  It has happened throughout history, and will happen again.  It won’t matter whether the adversity is an economic recession, or food shortages, or just a hysteria whipped up by demagogue politicians.  Whatever the cause, it’s hard to imagine that people with HIV will be far from the top of the list of those “responsible”.

If this seems implausible to you, I wonder if it’s because everything seems fine today, and it only takes a little extrapolation to see that life will remain this way into the indefinite future.

Offline terpie82

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2007, 11:11:41 pm »
I'm deeply saddened, upset, & depressed by this news. Although I knew it was bound to happen sooner or later, I was hoping it'll wait till I become director of CDC and I could lobby my strong opposition and demand for patient rights. But jokes aside, it will take another couple years for us to assess potential repercusions of this decision. I want to say that people will less likely go and get tested, but I can't be sure. The isolated scenario in Illinois is just that...one isolated scenario. Blah, this sucks poo.
-Terpie
Diagnosed in 2003
UD since 2004 and >35%
Three-month treatment interruption for NIH study and back on Stribild 1/8/16

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.