POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 09:22:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23350
  • Latest: Smasher
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636688
  • Total Topics: 48324
  • Online Today: 179
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: When did we get all disordered?  (Read 1080 times)

Offline carousel

When did we get all disordered?
« on: April 02, 2007, 09:42:50 AM »
I don’t know if it is just me, but I am sceptical of the proliferation of the number of disorders that professionals seek to define us with.

I understand that only clinicians can make a diagnosis, but when you read the DSM IV (Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) lists associated with common disorders, they seem so generalised that I can't help feeling that something is wrong.

I know that not being able to concentrate, feeling anxious, stressed out, unable to sleep or any one of the things that hinder our lives are no laughing matter.  It’s the bunching together of these concerns so that professionals can treat us is the worrying thing.  And without the diagnosis, generally we are left without the treatment.  I also wonder in how many cases these diagnosis are questioned and following the definition, is medication necessary in so many cases?

If you have been diagnosed with a disorder, it’s worthwhile having a look at how they are defined.  Can you really quantify and list our personality traits?  I was surprised about the lack of science associated with these diagnoses and in some cases, a relatively random list of issues.  Is the Doctor just ticking off a list, does diagnosis come when we raise our problems with them. 

You only have to look at the biggest criticisms of these definitions was that homosexuality was considered a disorder until the early 70's to see that Doctors do not always know best.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. INTJ
Re: When did we get all disordered?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2007, 11:14:45 AM »
The DSM is a guide so mental health professionals know how to define and communicate mental health symptoms. If I tell one of my coworkers that someone has 296.34 Major Depressive Disorder, Recurrent, Severe with Psychotic Features they have some idea of what I am talking about. When you look at the DSM there appears to be a diagnosis for everything but that is because so many people have so many problems that they feel are troubling them. The thing to keep in mind is whether the person feels they have a problem or whether their behavior is dangerous to themselves or other people.

You are right that many people are misdiagnosed. The one that stand out to me is ADD, attention deficit disorder. ADD is a real condition but WAY too many children are put on Adderall and other medications because physicians and parents want a quick fix to what are actually behavior problems.

Another mistaken area are personality disorders. Everyone has personality traits that can be described as pathological by the DSM. Everyone gets a little paranoid, a little narcissistic, a little histrionic. The problem is when people cannot hold a job or maintain a relationship because no one, not even family, can stand to be around them.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2007, 11:17:02 AM »
Various therapists have tried pumping me full of enough medication to make me my very own pharmacy.

I told them that my "problems" enhanced my personality and that they'd have to take a more cognitive approach.

They looked at me like I was crazy and couldn't help me.

So I turned to that great psychological and emotional equalizer.

Booze.
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline SASA39

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 11:39:47 AM »

Oct.     `06.  CD4=58  ?    %       VL not perform. ?!?
25.Dec.`06.         203       14        VL= 0
29.May.`07.    broken device        VL=1363
20.June`07     broken device        VL=0
25.Dec `07  CD4=582                  VL=70
14.May `08  CD4=448
29.July `08                                  VL=0
26.Nov `08  CD4=674                    VL=179
16.Mar `09  CD4=554                    VL=0
19.Jan`10 CD4=715               
03.Mar`10                                    VL=0
24.Aug`10 CD4=524                     VL=0
04.Dec`10 CD4=626                     VL=0
15.Sep`11                                   VL=93
17.Nov`11                                   VL=0
05/26 .Jul`12 CD4=713                 VL=0
28.Nov`12 CD4=916                     VL=0
09.May`13                                 VL=0

Offline Val

• Praxitèles -- Satyre au repos
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 04:55:21 PM »
Funny you brought up this subject, Charles.  I was having lunch with a lovely friend today (the one who says she plays golf badly...but, is a very good player whenever there is a prize), and she told me a little story about her doctor.
She was not feeling too well lately and went to see this guy for some advices.  The very first thing he told her was that he'd put her on anti-depressants!  She categorically refused, had a chat with him and left.
He did call her back, though, to reaffirm his diagnosis and to let her know that whenever she felt ready she could start the treatment.  She, on the other hand, is absolutely convinced that she doesn't need any of his medications...

Val
___
___
P.S. I'm not a newcomer to this game either, you know.
Arthus Bertrand
http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/yann2/affichage.php?reference=TVDC%20YABFR084&pais=France
Ali Mahdavi
http://asyoudesireme.online.fr/index.htm
Richard de Chazal
http://www.richarddechazal.com/
Daniel Nassoy
http://www.danielnassoy.com/pages/galeries_portraits_2.html
Photography:
The word comes from the Greek words φως phos ("light"), and γραφίς graphis ("stylus", "paintbrush") or γραφή graphê, together meaning "drawing with light" or "representation by means of lines".

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.