Main Forums > Someone I Care About Has HIV

should I be worried

(1/3) > >>

Tashana:
My husband is poz for six years or so, and we know that since October. Before that we had sex normally (have two kids). I was tested twice, and get negative results, and I`m about to get one more test. We have normal physical contact, without sex, and kids hug and kiss with him as usually. Is there any possibilities to get infection in a normal life? Doct`s say no, but, what is your experience? Should I be worried?
Tashana

Andy Velez:
Hi Tashana,

No, HIV is transmitted in very specific ways, mainly either unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse. You don't have to be worried about transmission occuring through things like hugging, kissing and other everyday life circumstances.

Read the lesson on transmission on this site. There's a link to it in the Welcome thread which opens this section. You'll get all of the basics there.

Many thousands of sero-discordant couples are having good lives together in every way including sexually. It just means always using a condom for intercourse to protect the sero-negative partner.

I'm going to move this thread over to the HIV section because I think you will get some good support there, including from other marrieds who are in a similar situation.

Please feel free to ask questions and to discuss anything that's on your mind.

I'm glad you found your way to this site.

PS OK, I see now that you have already been visiting this section. I'll just let this thread stand as is.

Tashana:
Thank you Andy,
A lot of people is very much afraid od HIV, which is, I should say, normally. That is the reason that everybody (doctors who are we it touch with) told us not to tell anybody, "not even a brother". But, living with someone who is poz just MAKE you to understand that it is not as easy to get a virus as we think. Thanks again, I'm worried just for the kids, but I have to admit, I'm very glad I did not get a virus...
Tashana

Andy Velez:
Your concern about your kids is of course understandable. But I just want to repeat that in the course of ordinary live together, they are not at risk simply because your husband is HIV+.

This is all still very new for you. Gradually you're going to learn more and while HIV is important, it is by no means all that your lives together will be about.

Cheers,

Christine:
I have been + since '93. My husband and I were married in '94. We use condoms with all sexual intercourse, and he is negative.

It is safe for your husband to hug, kiss, hold hands, use the same plates & cups, bathrooms...etc. that you and your children use. There is no risk of transmission with these activities.

The only risks of transmission would be with unprotected vaginal or anal intercourse, and sharing IV drug needles.

Christine

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version