Main Forums > I Just Tested Poz

Just tested positive - questions on viral count

(1/1)

herewego:
Hello all. Recently tested positive and had a couple of questions that I'd be grateful for guidance on

1) My CD4 result was pretty good: 480, but the viral load seems way high: 2.8 million. I know that low viral load = good; high = bad; but what shd i make of a result at that level? How bad is it?! It's the first test and I know results can vary, but I may have been positive for more than a year... The doctor said that the high viral load was obviously a red flag but he was pleased with the CD4 result.

2) Depsite the CD4 count, a biopsy from inside my mouth came back as KS so they're putting me on meds immedately. He's starting me out on Truvada and Sustiva. What impact might I expect on the viral load.

Early days, but tks for advice!

megasept:

--- Quote from: herewego on March 29, 2007, 02:13:36 PM ---...Despite the CD4 count, a biopsy from inside my mouth came back as KS so they're putting me on meds immediately. He's starting me out on Truvada and Sustiva. What impact might I expect on the viral load.

Early days, but tks for advice!

--- End quote ---

Yep. Early days. No reason to believe those numbers represent a "level", not two different trajectories. Your VL has probably climbed faster than your CD4s have declined. You can expect big changes with meds, especially with you VL, but unless you will get constant (i.e. monthly) blood work done, don't take each number as a significant trend. Think of trying to plot a graph with very little info. On the other hand, the meds should have a powerful effect on your OI (KS) and VL. I'd suggest you concentrate on adjusting to your new meds and new diagnosis. Either one could be a challenge. Put your efforts into something positive, like work, or exercise, or studying something (other than HIV!), and things will go even better. Let the meds go to battle for you. You have every reason to be confident. Keep us posted... 8)  -megasept

milker:
First of all, a warm welcome to the forums. I'm sorry to hear about your infection, but you're in the right place to ask questions and get comfort.

Do you have an idea of when you were infected? There is a big VL spike at the beginning of infection.

Milker.

herewego:
Tks megasept for the upbeat thoughts. I'm still kinda unnerved by the scale of my viral load count - i've been scanning othr comments on this and other sites and it seems way above other 'high' levels. But I'll keep the confident outlook!

Milker - to be honest, I don't know when I got this. Only recently tested positive, but I suspect a serious "flu" and weight loss experience I had in Oct 05 may well have been the indication of infection, now that I look back on things (my previous, neg, test was in summer 05).

If it was that long ago, then the high viral count is presumably not a reflection of early fluctuations -- whihc is all the more troubling. Nonetheless, it's a first result and i begin the meds this weekend, so there's plenty of scope for things to change...

(tks also for the explanation of the wikipedia chart...)

milker:
Your VL needs control, and that's what the meds will do, to give your immune system some slack and make sure that the virus doesn't go out of control. If it was 2 years ago, then your CD4 count is very good for this amount of VL. The meds will certainly do wonder pretty fast; read the Treatment Questions forum if you have questions about side effects for the combination that you're on.

Keep us informed about your progress! :)

Milker.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version