POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 24, 2014, 05:18:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 631758
  • Total Topics: 47828
  • Online Today: 266
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Help with Hep  (Read 2777 times)

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Help with Hep
« on: March 28, 2007, 06:50:21 PM »
Okey-Dokey, folks.  One of our own here has found out he has Hepatitis C.  I started sniffing around for information about this illness and found out there's a lot to learn.  I know that it is a significant problem for a goodly portion of us High Fivers, and one that is often quite under-discussed.  There's a whole Alphabet of Hepatitis varieties out there, some are spread in different ways than others.  It's my understanding that some variations of Hep are dependent on already being infected with other strains.  I am admittedly very in the dark on this whole subject.  I know that I have had the full series of vaccines for Hep A and Hep B.  Most of my knowledge about it stops there.  I know this topic has been discussed here and there on the forums before, but I thought it might bear a new thread now to rekindle the discussion and make an umbrella thread to cover discussion of all the different types of Hepatitis as a refresher course for those in the know and new learning for the rest of us.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline rocket

Re: Help with Hep
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2007, 09:09:39 PM »
Hep is very confusing sometimes.Ive read much about it in JAMA amd other physician manuals.A and b have preventive vaccines.There is now one for hep E which has not been approved yet.Hep E is not sexualy transmitted and is more common in developing countries.  Hep C is sexually transmited with blood exposure,thru sex ,needles or transfusions.unfortunatly no vaccine exist because the virus keeps changing very quickly,much like hiv.  If your going to get one hep A is preferable as it is rarly fatal,many people get this from unclean food etc. Hep b is cleared by 90 % of people exposed to it,but the remaing ones can develope chronic hep. HepC can be cleared by a smaller %,the rest are chronic.The good news is thru treatment more than 50% can be cured of Hep c completley.There is hep A,B,C,D,E and F I believe altogether.  I had hep b but my doc said it cleared on its own about 20 years ago.So a vaccine was a waste of time for that one,but I got the hep A vaccine.Unfortunatly the hep b vaccine came out about the same time as I started my sex life in 82.What does it matter if it cleared?Well,there may have been some damage caused from it anyway even if it did clear on its own.  I would advise anyone who hasnt gotten the hep a and b vaccine to get it if your sexually active,its combined in one convenient  combo given  to you twice. I wish Jeremy the best results with his hep c diagnosis.The treatments are gewtting better every year.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2007, 09:25:22 PM »
Jeromy can direct any of his questions to Ann, she's been through it. I gave my sister in-law shots three times a week for C for a year. Now as Ann has said, you no longer have to take that many shots. Ann can fill in all the details.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2007, 09:26:05 PM »
I had A and B, and completely immune, according to my doctor. I was yellow, even the sperm was yellow  >:( You feel like shit, extremely tired, but my body cleared it by itself without medication, it took 3 months for both. What was weird was that after the jaundice was gone I was feeling very well and making dinner and party arrangements, except that around 6pm I would suddenly feel extremely fatigued and was not able to fulfill the plans.

What is interesting is that at this time (around 1991), it was diagnosed as non-A non-B. I learned that it was B a month ago when I got the results from my ID doctor.

I know how I got Hep B, I was warned by the boy about 2 weeks after we had unprotected sex that he was yellow, and I may have Hep too. I always thought it was because I drank too much alcohol since it was diagnosed as non-B. As for A, I had no idea I ate bad food, I was yellow too, but no idea that it was A. It was diagnosed as B at that time, so go figure..

There is good stuff about Hep C there http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/diseases/hepatitis/c/faq.htm

It's too bad that we don't have two livers like we have two kidneys. The liver has a lot of work to do, and you don't want it to fail. I'm sure Jeromy will take care of his liver and recover from that unfortunate event soon.

Milker.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2007, 09:43:03 PM »
If you've has the series of shots for A and B, are you still susceptible to C, D, E and F?  Seems like I heard some of the strains only happen to people who are already infected with some of the others or somethinglike that.  I dunno.  I am clue free here.  Anyone?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline rocket

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2007, 10:39:41 PM »
I remeber reading that you can only get hep e if youve already have hep b.thats the only one Im pretty sure about.If you had shots for a and b you can still get hep c,they do not protect you from hep c.Hep c you can get from blood contact,like hiv.Most likely thru anal or vaginal sex.Can you get hep c from oral sex?Good question,does anyone know?On std sites they say maybe.  This could be the same debate as whether you can get hiv thru oral sex.

Offline Cerrid

• only as good as your last haircut
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2007, 03:59:06 AM »
There's a lot of concise information on B and C hepatitides on aidsmap: Linky
"Boredom is always counterrevolutionary. Always." (Guy Debord)

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2007, 07:44:54 AM »
Nerdy people might like the useful section on HIV & Hepatitis on HIV-HCV coinfection

- matt
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2007, 08:39:20 AM »
Hep C isn't commonly transmitted through sex, and certainly not through oral sex. Sex mainly comes into the picture on this one when there has been bleeding from both people. Fisting is probably the main sexual route for hep C, with the second being regular anal where bleeding has occurred - usually because of a lack of lube. Any sex where a lot of trauma occurs is a potential transmission route. But again, sex is not the primary transmission route for hep C.

Sharing drug injecting equipment is the main route. It doesn't have to be needles either, it can also be from sharing tourniquets, spoons, filters, water source (a cup of water in which everyone draws from for example) and even surfaces the equipment is laid down on. If you're an injecting drug user, you really do need to use your own equipment, from start to finish.

There is also mounting evidence that sharing straws (or whatever) to snort drugs is a transmission route. This is because the drugs irritate the lining of the nose and can cause small amounts of bleeding to occur. With hep C, all it takes is a tiny droplet of blood to find its way into your body - and it's not uncommon for a hep C positive person to have a viral load in the tens or even hundreds of millions. If you've been handed a straw used by someone with an irritated nasal lining and yours is too, then you stand a chance of inhaling some of their blood that may be on the straw. If the person has hep C, you just might too. Always use your own straw for snorting - don't take the chance of sharing when you could find a piece of paper to roll up and use.

Tattoos can also be a source of hep C infection. This not only includes the needles, but like with drug use, other parts of the equipment can be contaminated, such as pots of ink and the rubber tubing. A reputable tattoo artist will use single use ink pots and disposable tubing and needles. Be careful where you get your tattoos done and don't be afraid to question them about their equipment. A reputable artist will welcome your questions.

Piercings can also be a potential transmission route. Again, don't be afraid to question the person doing the piercing as a reputable person will be happy to discuss their infection control with you. Equipment should be either disposable or sterilized.

If you want to compare hiv and hep C, hiv is like a thin-shelled egg whereas hep C is more like an armadillo. It's a very robust virus that, unlike hiv, can remain infectious for long periods outside the body.

There are many more numbers of people infected with hep C than there are people with hiv. It's sometimes called the "Silent Epidemic" because not only do many infected people not know they are, but also because it is even less talked about than hiv. And that's saying something! A person with hep C can go for twenty five years or more without symptoms, so it's not surprising that so many don't know they're infected and potentially walking around for a quarter of a century, unwittingly infecting others. Hep C is some scary shit!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 11:31:35 AM »
Very informative, thanks Ann!

Milker.
nov 2 08 start Atripla

Offline rocket

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 04:50:16 PM »
Yes,Thanks Ann,I was talking to a friend in Thailand who was more afraid of catching hepc than hiv.I told him that sex was a difficult way to get it.He said that fecal matter could have blood in it so rimming was a way of aquiring it.I guess swallowing the virus is not blood on blood so that would be a hard way to get it.  Anyway,in Egypt,I think several million people were infected with hep c from reused needles during a massive inoculation of some disease!What a disaster on an epic scale.You need to be careful of needles anywhere.If I lived in a country like that I think it would be wise to bring your own needle to the health care center.I thought Egypt was a second world country.Maybe its still third world.

Offline whizzer

« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 07:57:06 PM »
Whizzer's Guide to the Hepatitises

The various forms of Hepatitis include:

Hep A - fecal/oral transmission

Hep B - bloodborne pathogen, present in blood, semen, and saliva.  Sexually transmitted.

Hep C - bloodborne pathogen, requires blood to blood contact for transmission to occur, NOT generally sexually transmitted.

Hep D - bloodborne pathogen, but a defective virus which requires you to be infected with Hep B in order for it to replicate

Hep E - fecal/oral transmission, not generally present in the US

Hep G - bloodborne pathogen, requires co-infection with Hep C

Vaccines are available to protect against Hepatitis A and B.  Inoculation is highly recommended.  These inoculations DO NOT protect you against Hep C, G, or E. 

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2007, 08:35:41 PM »
So with vaccination for A and B, the only other one I have to particularly watch out for is C...right?  And given that I don't shoot anything, my main transmission worries would be the other forms of blood-to-blood contact.  Sex without condoms would be a potential worry, but not generally a transmission route.

The Heps are all blood borne.  Not in other body fluids like semen or saliva (or pus and snot..had to include those!  ;D ) ?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #13 on: March 29, 2007, 09:36:53 PM »
Yes, apparently fisting is one of concern, but other "usual" sexual activities seem fine.

Milker.
nov 2 08 start Atripla

Offline whizzer

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2007, 10:24:59 PM »
Tim,

That's a close summation, but not exactly right.

Hep C is exclusively bloodborne.  Hep A and E can be transmitted via saliva (fecal/oral means fecal AND oral), as can Hep B.  Hep B is also present in semen.  Still, they consider it a bloodborne pathogen. 

Hep A is the one you hear folks catching at the church picnic, or from the communion cup.  Hep B is what you might catch at the church orgy.  Hep C is what you might catch sharing needles at the church slamming/fisting parties.

If you have been inoculated against A and B, and have formed antibodies (you have to have a titer done to make sure), then you are not at risk for those.  Hep C, well, it depends on your particular sexual proclivities, but, in general, it isn't passed during sex.

Hepatitis B and C are very hardy viruses.  They can live a LONG time on surfaces, over three days - two weeks if conditions are right, and are difficult to kill.  Clorox works very nicely on both of them if you let it stay on the surfaces until it dries.

-Whiz

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2007, 10:33:24 PM »
Thanks, whizzer!  I've been to both the church picnics and the church orgies.  I was thinking about the church slamming/fisting party, but might reconsider now.  My Wedesday nights are usually booked anyway.

;D
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 10:46:33 PM »
Thanks, whizzer!  I've been to both the church picnics and the church orgies.  I was thinking about the church slamming/fisting party, but might reconsider now.  My Wedesday nights are usually booked anyway.

;D

It's thursday, babe, enjoy..

Milker.
nov 2 08 start Atripla

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.