POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2014, 11:39:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 22247
  • Latest: d18p
Stats
  • Total Posts: 621138
  • Total Topics: 46785
  • Online Today: 262
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Top ten worse things a person can do for health if HIV, what are they?  (Read 4240 times)

Offline bimazek

Top ten worse things a person can do for health  if HIV, what are they?

Please list your experience and observations of others and such....

I was told last night by a guy who works in biggest hiv clinic

alcohol is killing more pos people
drugs
crystal
bad eating habits and smoking too much cigaretes
combination of drugs and alcohol and
not taking meds
not finding out person is poz till very very late
not sleeping regularly
not exercising and gaining huge weight and having heart problems

etc?????

what are your thoughts

Offline ndrew

• ....-.-.-.-.-.....
you forgot stress

Offline puertorico2006

#2 & #3 are too related

but id guess stress also....
Infected Probably: may 2005
Diagnosed: 11/2006

11/28/2006 CD4:309 / VL: 1907 No meds yet
12/27/2006 CD4:339/  VL:1649 No meds yet
  4/28/2007 CD4:550/  VL:1800 No meds :-)

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
    • The Spin Cycle
With six out of ten do I get a toaster-oven? Stress would make it seven...

Brent
(Who tries the best he can at all things)

Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

The revolutionary smart set reads The Spin Cycle at least once every day.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline koi1

I think we should clarify what alcohol does in great doses, for those that don't already know. It competes for liver destruction with your meds. I have not found any study that it interacts with the meds or makes them not work. However heavy drinking is proven to suppress your immune system and cause many other health problems.

My doctor said that the biggest problem she sees with alcohol/drug abuse is adherence and eventually drug resistance. I asked her this when I was inquiring about what the average stint with sustiva and truvada would be.

She said that in her experience, it was rare to develop resistance to meds with high adherence, but that it does happen. She told me that following the regimen guidelines I would be on this combo for many many years, whatever that means. She could not give me a number. She also cautioned me strongly about reinfection for the same reason, drug resistance. I know that there are people who still don't believe this, but why take the chance?

rob
diagnosed on 11/20/06 viral load 23,000  cd4 97    8%
01/04/07 six weeks after diagnosis vl 53,000 cd4 cd4 70    6%
Began sustiva truvada 01/04/07
newest labs  drawn on 01/15/07  vl 1,100    cd4 119    7%
Drawn 02/10/07
cd4=160 viral load= 131 percentage= 8%
New labs 3/10/07 (two months on sustiva truvada
cd4 count 292  percentage 14 viral load undetectable

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
#2 & #3 are too related

but id guess stress also....

Guys: I would have added stress too...except I no longer believe stress to have a major effect on my my physical health (serenity certainly has mental advantages). What happened is I lived through the most stressful period of my life, 2-3 years straight. I was miserable. I cried many times daily for well over one year.

So guess what obvious effect on my numbers? Zilch. In fact I had some of the best numbers, including notable improvements during some of the worst periods. It seemed counterintuitive? Anyone else seen this (non-) phenomenon?    8)  -megasept

Offline allopathicholistic

Guys: I would have added stress too...except I no longer believe stress to have a major effect on my my physical health (serenity certainly has mental advantages). What happened is I lived through the most stressful period of my life, 2-3 years straight. I was miserable. I cried many times daily for well over one year.

So guess what obvious effect on my numbers? Zilch. In fact I had some of the best numbers, including notable improvements during some of the worst periods. It seemed counterintuitive? Anyone else seen this (non-) phenomenon?    8)  -megasept

Hi Meg. To me it does seem counterintuitive  :-\  I've never heard of stress being a good thing for anyone. Are you a type A personality or something? Like skydiving and bunjee jumping and all that thrill-seeking stuff?  ??? I guess for some people, when the going gets tough, the tough get going. I don't know  :-\

Online Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser

So guess what obvious effect on my numbers? Zilch. In fact I had some of the best numbers, including notable improvements during some of the worst periods. It seemed counterintuitive? Anyone else seen this (non-) phenomenon?    8)  -megasept

Yes, same thing happened to me.  There are exceptions to everything I guess.

My situation wasn't just high-stress, it was like 3 separate high stress situations either concurrently or one after the other over a period of three entire years NON-STOP.
"Iíve slept with enough men to know that Iím not gay"

Offline Esquare

Handling cat poop should be somewhere in the top 25 I guess. I still remember when I first read this and I looked at my cat and then my wife and just couldn't believe how cruel HIV could be. Not that I enjoy handling cat poop but I do enjoy taking care of my cat. My wife now handles the cat poop duties for me.

Offline stratosphere

I have been under a lot of stress lately,  but maybe it wasn't a bad emotional crisis type stress but a new job anxiety.  Anyway i seem to be doing okay so i guess a little stress is good,  but too much is just too much.  I bet that sounds kind of dumb,  but i guess we all need breaks from stress from time to time.

As for the alcohol thing,  would you say that too much alcohol over time is worse on the liver or too much at one particular time?  I ask because i don't drink period except the occasional Saturday night.  I know a lot of my friends are like this as well.  In the past we have had a tendency to overdo it on that occasionally Saturday night,  once a month or so.  You can sure feel it the next day too.  But how does that compare to someone who drinks moderately everyday over time? 
1/05   CD4 305  VL  ?        34%
2/05   CD4 310  VL  ?        35%
7/05   CD4 277  VL  <50    43%
11/05 CD4 516  VL  <50    46%
2/06   CD4 640  VL  <50    46%
6/06   CD4 578  VL  <50    46%
10/06 CD4 491  VL  <50    50%
3/07   CD4 674  VL  <50    50%
7/07   CD4 516  VL  <50    43%
11/07 CD4 635  VL  <50    44%
3/08   CD4 584  VL  <50    48%
7/08   CD4 510  VL  <50    49%
11/08 CD4 580  VL  <50    49%
2/09   CD4 661  VL  <50    50%

Online Miss Philicia

Re: Top ten worse things a person can do for health if HIV, what are they?
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 08:46:38 PM »
Handling cat poop should be somewhere in the top 25 I guess. I still remember when I first read this and I looked at my cat and then my wife and just couldn't believe how cruel HIV could be. Not that I enjoy handling cat poop but I do enjoy taking care of my cat. My wife now handles the cat poop duties for me.

As far as I know you only need to worry about toxoplasmic encephalitis with a cd4 count <100 -- is that not correct?

I don't have a cat anymore so I really don't care, but I was having just this very conversation with someone on Monday.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2007, 08:48:22 PM by philly267 »

Offline tigger2376

• too bad to die youngish!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2007, 11:24:50 PM »
Apart from the specific #5 and #7 these seem like things that any 'healthy' person should avoid too.
I have personally found that since being on meds alcohol affects me more, I have horrible diaorrhea and am wiped out for 24 hours if I drink more than a couple of glasses of wine now, and get pissed much more quickly, which can't be good for my immune sysem
What about secondary infections/different HIV strains?
Is it a myth you can get two different types?
(please don't shoot me down, I was actually told this could happen by an HIV social worker)
I know i'm going to enjoy the party in the afterlife, but do you all mind that I'm going to be VERY late!!!

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2007, 11:28:58 PM »
Boring poll to me

I don't know what's wrong for me to do, I have the same routine every day. HIv hasn't changed anything for me, except for sex. Your poll is about "worse things a person can do for health if HIV" I haven't changed anything in my dayly routine because I became HIV.
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjasô

Offline Cseanr

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2007, 12:22:38 AM »
I feel like I've changed and yet given up so much of my life because of HIV.  Granted, some of the things I did were bad even for normal health reasons, but I guess it's just the thought of feeling deprived.  I quit smoking.  I quit drinking.  I quit drinking soda. 

The question regarding stress though, is what does one do when your job, basically your only income, is high stress.  I've been searching for another job but financial a less paying job in florida means nothing.  I have to live, pay for meds, rent, etc ... so what does one do?

HIV has been more a pain in the azz for me and I can only thank my ex that was using meth and provided me with a gift that I would love to return!

Offline Esquare

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2007, 01:04:41 AM »
As far as I know you only need to worry about toxoplasmic encephalitis with a cd4 count <100 -- is that not correct?

I don't have a cat anymore so I really don't care, but I was having just this very conversation with someone on Monday.

I'm not sure of that either. ???

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2007, 02:05:59 AM »

Please list your experience and observations of others and such....

I was told last night by a guy who works in biggest hiv clinic

alcohol is killing more pos people
drugs
crystal
bad eating habits and smoking too much cigaretecombination of drugs and alcohol and
not taking meds
not finding out person is poz till very very late
not sleeping regularly
not exercising and gaining huge weight and having heart problems

etc?????

what are your thoughts

My own experience is theres to much to worry about despite having HIV. You have to enjoy you're life while making some life changes.

Diet is important certain recreational drugs can interfere or wreak havoc on you're system. Drinking can in fact make you're liver worse off by the time you take meds especially if you drink excessively. Meaning that If you don't need meds for 8 yrs or so after POZ. The meds will do a double whammy on you're liver especially if you keep drinking enough. Meh....sleep you should get some but you're not always going to get enough but I dont believe it will kill you're immune system unless extreme insomnia is going on. Smoking yeah very popular among us Poz's but bad for the Immune system also increases risk for PCP, Lung cancer by just being HIV+ alone w/o the smoking. etc. etc...

Basically I have to live but know my priorities and seeing the doc regurlary s important some form of aerobic exercise during the week, and not getting so obsessed with different vitamin/mineral claims that increase health while Poz. I have to keep it simple and stick with my multi vitamins, and eat somewhat decent. etc..etc... 

Offline Mike89406

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2007, 02:24:28 AM »
I have been under a lot of stress lately,  but maybe it wasn't a bad emotional crisis type stress but a new job anxiety.  Anyway i seem to be doing okay so i guess a little stress is good,  but too much is just too much.  I bet that sounds kind of dumb,  but i guess we all need breaks from stress from time to time.

As for the alcohol thing,  would you say that too much alcohol over time is worse on the liver or too much at one particular time?  I ask because i don't drink period except the occasional Saturday night.  I know a lot of my friends are like this as well.  In the past we have had a tendency to overdo it on that occasionally Saturday night,  once a month or so.  You can sure feel it the next day too.  But how does that compare to someone who drinks moderately everyday over time? 

Alcohol over long periods of time can damage you're liver how much you ask? I don't know. I asked my social worker if I can drink at all without risk, and she said it was up to me. a couple of years later I heard there was an increase of people in need of a liver transplant due to past drinking habits and taking HIV meds.

Online Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2007, 02:41:12 AM »
I'm not sure of that either. ???

I think that is correct.  Like you, when I was diagnosed my cd4's were quite low and I had two cats, so my roommate got saddled with the Poop Patrol.  Once my numbers rose I still just stayed away from it, but a cursory search shows what my friend told me this week is correct unless someone here knows more about this.

Anyway, ask your doctor since you still have a cat.

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2007, 02:52:51 AM »
May I add not finding help when you really need it or too much, not having enough sex or too much, not having love in your life or too much, and not looking both sides of the road before crossing the street or too much.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

ďNeither look forward where there is doubt nor backward where there is regret. Look inward and ask not if there is anything o

Offline Maestro

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2007, 09:27:15 AM »
Well, I can tell what HAS NOT had any effect on my Uncle's health (though I admit each person is different):

1.  Horrible diet
2.  Maybe 3-4 hours sleep a night
3.  Depression
4.  Stress
5.  Addicted to Oxycontin
6.  Lethargic lifestyle

Uh...pretty much the opposite of common sense!

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2007, 10:28:59 AM »
Stress is the number one problem.  People have to come up with strategies on how they handle stress.  Unfortunately, some people resort to alcohol, drugs, or food to escape it and that creates opportunities for more stress.  Exercise tends to lower ones stress whether it is walking or going to the gym.  Finding an nondestructive outlet is key to handling stress.
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Online Miss Philicia

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2007, 11:34:34 AM »
Someone mentioned having a significant other in their life.  Personally my health has always been better when I'm single... *SO* much less stress!

I'm not easy to date, or so I've repeatedly been told, so when I have a relationship it always ends up a continual roller coaster of eternal drama.

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2007, 03:34:07 PM »
All those things are things that no one should do if they are overly concerned about their health, of course, I think you should add high risk sexual activity.

Me, I believe in all things in moderation except street drugs.  Three or less drinks a day of alcohol is not really going to do any harm.  I do smoke too much but I do have a 2-3 glasses of red wine every night, I think the health benefits (including mental health) outweigh the bad things.....but maybe I am rationalizing....
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2007, 06:25:06 AM »
the same things that are bad if you dont have HIV. Most here will not die from HIV.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2007, 10:32:36 AM »
the same things that are bad if you dont have HIV. Most here will not die from HIV.
\

Does going home with 2 trannies in vegas count?
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline Bucko

• The Spin Cycle
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2007, 12:03:40 PM »
\

Does going home with 2 trannies in vegas count?

Maybe, if the were alcoholics smoking meth on a 72-hour binge and you met them in the drive-through at Burger King  ;D

Brent
(Who adds 20 points perTranny if condoms are omitted)

Offline carousel

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2007, 12:09:32 PM »
Read the "Am I ...?" Boards, possibly.

Eat a McD?

Find yourself infected in Africa.

Offline Strayboy74

• tastes like chicken
« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2007, 03:41:41 PM »

#1 -  Listening to Kylie Minogue albums.

-joseph

Offline FunkyMonkey

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2007, 01:12:48 PM »
Forgot to add number 11-- Rebulicans :)

-Marco

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
Stress a Good Thing? KURAZZZY!
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2007, 11:10:53 PM »
Hi Meg. To me it does seem counterintuitive  :-\  I've never heard of stress being a good thing for anyone. Are you a type A personality or something? Like skydiving and bungee jumping and all that thrill-seeking stuff?  ??? I guess for some people, when the going gets tough, the tough get going. I don't know  :-\

"Stress a good thing?" Never considered that. Maybe a "challenge" is stress in disguise.

I've have been accused of being a Type A...But I prefer "or something".    ;)

No skydiving. No bungee jumping. Naaaww; just eating a bit of Sushi now and then. I was a rigger, and love working from heights.  8)  -megasept

Offline Bucko

• The Spin Cycle
« Reply #30 on: March 22, 2007, 01:32:51 AM »
All those things are things that no one should do if they are overly concerned about their health, of course, I think you should add high risk sexual activity.
May I add not finding help when you really need it or too much, not having enough sex or too much, not having love in your life or too much, and not looking both sides of the road before crossing the street or too much.

Too much sex? High risk sex? High risk for what?

STDs are a terrible thing. I know, I've had them all. But I got them treated and they went away. Frankly, the treatments were worse than the infections.

But could someone pleae enlighten me on how much sex constitutes too much sex? Is once per day too much? Is the opinion based on the number ejaculations, hours logged in action or number of partners? How is this quantified?

Reproduction is probably the most basic of instincts. Analbabies notwithstanding, sex is just our acting out of this most essential of instincts. Putting artificial limits or setting "reasonable" guidelines proscribing certain acts or their frequency just seems...unnatural, and unhealthy to boot.

Brent
(Who has just recently gotten back in the saddle)

/edited to fix a teeny typo/
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 01:57:02 AM by Bucko »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.