POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
July 29, 2014, 09:54:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 632226
  • Total Topics: 47872
  • Online Today: 249
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Vision Therapy Progress  (Read 3772 times)

Offline cmhjeff

Vision Therapy Progress
« on: March 20, 2007, 08:35:47 PM »
Many of you may recall that I was embarking on a 6 month journey of twice daily therapy in hope of restoring some of my left peripheral vision that I've lost as a result from PML. The therapy is through NovaVision VRT and is generally targeted to stroke and brain injury patients so PML was a new area for the clinic from my understanding.
So I began in January and I've completed 2 of 6 modules so far. Therapy consists of 2 sessions daily 6 times a week. I've given this therapy 100% because I so badly want to drive again.
Since the therapy is done slowly over a long period of time it's hard to say if I've noticed drastic changes but there are little things such as I can navigate through Target with a cart alone without hitting to many displays. I also seem to be reading better but that could all be in my head. Jeffrey seems to think I'm hitting my head less but is that therapy or compensating more for my vision loss. Hard to say but I've got 4 more modules to go.

I'm posting my results but it'll look foreign to you but the goal is to see less black in the grids.
1st picture is pre module 1
2nd picture is post module 1
3rd picture is pre module 2
4th Picture is post module 2

I started Module 3 last week.

I'll keep you posted and I'll warn you before I get behind the wheel again.  ;D

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline shepsmom

Re: Vision Therapy Progress
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 08:39:54 PM »
What is PML?

I'm so glad you're doing well! Keep your chin up-but don't forget to duck!

Offline Longislander

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 08:43:07 PM »
Jeff, I see the difference! Congrats and good luck with the rest of it.

Paul

infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 11:33:30 PM »
In my original post somehow I left out the 2nd picture so here it is.

2nd picture is post module 1

Hugs
Jeff

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 11:39:51 PM »
Jeff,  Wow thats pretty kewl stuff your doing..  You can definately see improvements as you have gone along... When you see the "black" jeep, be sure to swerve, its me driving the speed limit...

Hugs,

Eric

Offline Nadine

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2007, 05:05:08 AM »
Looking good Jeff!!

See you Saturday!

(((HUGS)))

Offline bear60

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 09:38:25 AM »
Jeff
The difference is very noticable. Congratulations.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline cmhjeff

Re: Vision Therapy Progress - Module 3 Update
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2007, 04:05:19 PM »
I started module 4 of vision therapy last week so I'm half way through. I got my module 3 results over the weekend and to say I'm excited would be an understatement. I did have more false positive readings but the pre to post module results improved greatly. Is it enough to get me driving again, I doubt it but I have 3 modules still to go. I'm excited but I'm trying to keep my excitement in check. By no means do I want to create false hope but right now I'm full of hope. 2 years ago I was writing my obituary and today I'm making plans for tomorrow, next week, next month and 2008

I'm happy today! I'm glad I have all of you to share this with.

Jeff

Offline Peter6836

• Me and my Granddaughter Noa
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2007, 06:43:08 PM »
Jeff Congratulations, keep up the great work. I hope you are able to get behind that wheel soon!!! Keep making plans for the future.
Peter

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2007, 06:52:07 PM »
By no means do I want to create false hope but right now I'm full of hope. 2 years ago I was writing my obituary and today I'm making plans for tomorrow, next week, next month and 2008

I'm happy today! I'm glad I have all of you to share this with.

Jeff

Jeff

It's good to hear you are moving forward and thank you for sharing your good news/progress with us.  Don't ever shun hope, it's the life force that helps many of us.  Good luck to you buddy I'll be pulling for you.

RAB   :)

Offline Nadine

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2007, 07:58:48 PM »
Jeff,

I can feel your excitment.  As RAB said "don't shun hope"

Keep making all those plans!

(((((((((HUGS))))))))))

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 08:18:52 PM »
Hello Jeff,

Glad to hear that things are steadily improving for you . Continued success !! Certainly looks as though, things are improving by looking at the charts. Thanks for sharing with us.

Take care of yourself-----Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of 6/4/14,  t-cells are at 423, Viral load <40

Current % is at 13% 

62 years young.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 08:30:03 PM »
Hi Jeff,

I'd say you're definitely making some good progress!   I wish you the best of luck, and hope you can restore your vision.   I know how devastating vision issues can be.

hugs,

Alan
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Online RapidRod

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 09:30:19 PM »
Great news Jeff. Keep up the good work.

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 10:28:19 PM »
Jeff you can drive me anywhere!   ;)

Hugs,

Eric

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 08:41:28 AM »
I thought I posted my module 3 results but don't see them today. I sure hope it was a system glitch and not my eyes. LOL! I'm posting them again just in case.
It's a sunny day....Be happy  :D

Jeff

It's good to hear you are moving forward and thank you for sharing your good news/progress with us.  Don't ever shun hope, it's the life force that helps many of us.  Good luck to you buddy I'll be pulling for you.

RAB   :)
I must have expressed myself wrong because I'd never shun hope. Hope is a big reason I'm still here today 2 years after my PML diagnosis.

Jeff you can drive me anywhere!   ;)
Hugs,
Eric
WooHoo...you better wear your seatbelt it may be a bumpy ride.  ;D

Offline cmhjeff

Re: Vision Therapy - Module 4 Results
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2007, 02:35:20 PM »
I got these results a few weeks back but haven't been able to get them posted until now. The results look good on paper but it's simply to hard to say if it'll be enough to drive. The visual fields test at the end of the 6 months of VRT therapy will give a better status of my vision and if therapy restored any of my left peripheral vision loss I suffered from PML. I know I see better and read better but have I learned to compensate for my vision loss or did therapy restore some of my vision. I guess that's the real question. I'm about 3/4 of the way through module 5 and expect to be finished up completely by the end of July. When it's all said and done with I'm going to ask if I can do LASIK. Not for the vision loss but to be done with these ontacts and glasses.

Offline Iggy

« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2007, 09:57:24 PM »
I admit that I don't really understand the results outside of less black is good but the latest module you posted is almost cleared of black....hot damn! 

I really understand you not wanting any false hopes right now but I think If I am understanding the different modules this is not a one-off improvement so much as steady improvements....o I think you have legitimate reason to have hope.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2007, 03:29:28 PM »
Looking good(I think???) Best of luck the rest of the way!
Positive since 1985

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2007, 02:30:03 PM »
Here are my module 5 results. I started the 6th and final module of therapy on June 8th so I should be done in 3 or 4 weeks. I'll find out then if they think I would benefit from continued therapy. A break would be nice but I'd continue if it was suggested. My understanding from my initial appt is that there would be no additional cost if therapy was to continue beyond the 6 modules. I will be meeting with the opthamologist at the Cincinnati Eye Institute in about 6 weeks for an exam and visual fields test. Wish me luck! Thanks for listening and offering your support this entire time.
Jeff

Offline water duck

« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2007, 05:24:48 PM »
Sure, dear Jeff, we wish you luck, but, then luck is just finding the "right seed " and "planting " it at the right time; Reaping it's fruits need constant hard-work, of which , you are not lacking !!

Follow your shining star, may it lead you out of the tunnel into the light.

Wd

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2007, 01:41:07 PM »
I finished therapy last Friday the 6th. NovaVision will evaluate my therapy modules from start to finish and will send a final report to the opthamologist in Cincinnati. I have an appointment on 6/27 for an eye exam and visual fields test. Depending on my results there is the chance to continue on with therapy in 3 month increments but I found out today there is a cost to do that and I've already charged close to 3K for this therapy and will probably not extend beyond the initial 6 months. Even if it turns out that I never drive again it did improve my quality of life and has made day to day tasks easier. A friend recently reminded me that driving isn't everything but it would have made things easier for both myself and Jeffrey. If it turns out I can't drive then when my lease is up I'll most likely not get another car. I got the car I have now only because I had high hopes of driving after therapy was over and new I would need an automatic to do that. Oh well at least I gave it a shot.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
  • Vegas baby!
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2007, 09:43:49 PM »
Good luck Jeff.  I wish you peace.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Online RapidRod

« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2007, 10:11:20 PM »
Jeff, never give up hope.

Rodney

Offline anniebc

• AM member since 2003
« Reply #24 on: July 12, 2007, 10:28:25 PM »
Hi Jeff

I'm with Rodney..never say never.

I'm happy that your day to day living has at least improved.

Take care
Hugs
Jan :-*
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Never knock on deaths door..ring the bell and run..he really hates that.

Offline SoSadTooBad

« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2007, 10:52:07 AM »
Jeff - the race does not belong to the swift...  I belongs to those who never give up.  Here's to hoping to you are out burning rubber soon!

Offline Carolann

« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2007, 12:39:41 PM »
I hope your vision continues to improve. Keep up the hard work and the positive attitude. I believe in this getting us through life.

CA

Offline cmhjeff

« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2007, 03:08:27 PM »
Now that therapy is complete tomorrow is the big day, I have my follow up appointment with the opthhomologist and visual fields test.

I'm nervous as all can be to get the results. I'll post about my appointment on Monday.

Jeff

Offline cmhjeff

Re: Vision Therapy Final Update
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2007, 05:32:29 PM »
I'm sorry I just realized I never posted about my follow up exam and visual fields test after therapy ended. To save me from typing I'll just copy and paste what I posted today on the Yahoo PML Survivor Group page. It's a total update but it covers the vision therapy.

I'm still seizure free (2 years) and I remain undetectable since Nov 05. I still struggle with a below 200 T-cell count but it's still climbing at an ever slow pace and I'm now at 178.

I completed vision therapy and my visual fields in both eyes did show some improvement. I could have continued therapy and I considered it until I found out there would be an additional cost of $3,000 on top of the $6,00 I already paid. The opthamologist I saw with therapy felt my fields improved enough that I could try for my license again. Because of the seizures due to PML I need cleared by my neurologist first.

At our state fair I did pass the peripheral part of the test at the BMV booth. My contact prescription is bad so I couldn't do the letters. I'm currently looking int LASIK so I won't need contacts or glasses. If all goes as planned and my neurologist is OK with it then I will look into a driving rehabilitation class offered through the rehab center at Ohio State University early next year. Jeffrey took me to a parking lot this past Saturday and I drove my car for the first time in 2 years. It was exilerating but completely odd at the same time.

I don't see my doctor again until December but will probably follow up with her by phone to get the results of a new MRI done a few weeks back.

3x days a week I exercise on the bike for 30 minutes and 2x a week I walk the treadmill for 30 minutes. I'm outside as much as I can and do as much as possible around the house to help Jeffrey. I've washed both cars on my own and I cut the grass using the riding mower. I am having some minor brace issues and now have a bone spur in my bad(left) foot so I will be following up with my physical therapist next week.

Next I'm going to try a new computer program I found to improve my typing. The program is called One Hand Typing and Keyboarding".

Hugs to you all!

Jeff

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.