POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
August 30, 2014, 01:22:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 23344
  • Latest: TML1991
Stats
  • Total Posts: 636617
  • Total Topics: 48318
  • Online Today: 171
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: JObs that require drug testing  (Read 2988 times)

Offline motherinneed

JObs that require drug testing
« on: March 20, 2007, 05:13:40 PM »
With HIV , some of the meds can cause a positive when getting pre employment drug testing..correct?

How does one get around this if they wish not to have their health history and open book to employers?

DO you get a letter from your MD stating that you are on meds which will give a false positive for drug testing and not have to reveal your HIV status..Just seems like a privacy issue being violated and opening you up to not being hired even though that is illegal to discriminate due to health issues.

Just thinking out loud and need some input as I have no idea about these issues and need some direction.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
Re: JObs that require drug testing
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2007, 05:26:06 PM »
I believe you just inform the testing center and they administer a slightly more sensitive test.  But im not 100% sure on this.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

Offline shepsmom

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2007, 06:55:26 PM »
I've had dozens of drug tests. I'm a truck driver. They put it through a more sensitive test. They can tell exactly what the drug is but are not allowed to reveal anything to your employer except for what is being tested for i.e. marjuana, heroin,meth etc..

Offline bsboy

• New Years 06
    • My space
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2007, 07:27:34 PM »
I myself was wonder this, where I have just recently applied for a job that gave a drug test right at the interview. I have been worried as to what results the will get back.  they did a mouth swab test. any input as to what I should espect? should I also be worried? I will be going to my DR tomorrow, Ill have to ask for something if it does come back as a false positive..
We cant control the wind..... but we can direct our sails.........

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2007, 07:41:06 PM »
I would make sure that  GC/MS is included in the testing panel to confirm all positives.  The testing personnell should be able to tell you if positives are automatically confirmed with GC/MS and if not, request it.  I think that is usually what the procedure is, but I am not sure since I don't work in a toxocology lab and we send all our pre-employment and post-accident drug screens out.  There are so many rules and regulations down to which form you have to use, it isn't even funny.  The drug testing is not in my area of expertise--I just happily collect the thing, hope I don't screw it up, and send it on its way.  I do know that we usually do a "split" specimen in case these things happen, but in your case a GC/MS should be definitely done.   It is much more specific and would be able to tell the difference between, for example THC and Sustiva.  The only one I am aware of that does that is the Sustiva, but there could be more. 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 07:43:39 PM by Coffeechick88 »
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline motherinneed

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2007, 09:15:44 PM »
I've had dozens of drug tests. I'm a truck driver. They put it through a more sensitive test. They can tell exactly what the drug is but are not allowed to reveal anything to your employer except for what is being tested for i.e. marjuana, heroin,meth etc..

Shepsmom,
thank you for sharing this knowledge as my son was thinking he would not be able to get another job if he had to go through the urine test. He was sure that if he had to reveal he was HIV due to the urine test that he would not have a chance getting the job due to "hidden" discrimination by the employer.  So I guess to reveal a person's diagnosis to an employer would be a violation of patient's rights, yes???

Offline sdcabincrew74

• My Manhunt account
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2007, 12:32:41 AM »
I work for the airlines, our tests are pretty extensive.  NO ONE KNOWS what drugs I take and I have never popped a poz on a drug test.  However, they just do pee tests, maybe blood testing is different.
The difference between an overnight and a layover is luck!

Offline Cheo63

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2007, 03:37:02 AM »
Hi Motherinneed,

I applied for a job in a big corporation where they required a background check and a drug test.  I too was nervous but it went well.  It was a urine test.  I told the person that I was on medications (didn't tell him which) and if he needed to know.  He said no.  He said that labs usually can tell when its medications versus street drugs.  So, I wouldn't be too worry.  I've been there now for 2 years.

Cheo

Offline bsboy

• New Years 06
    • My space
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 10:42:02 AM »
After reading the post yesterday... I got all worried and called my DR right away.  He assured me that it is possible to test "positive" for 420. even thought it is not an acurate result.  he was kind enought to give me a letter statting that I was on Medication that has proven to give a false reading for 420. if there was a problem and needed more help to call them and they would take care of it. nothing was mentioned in the letter about status, and I know they never would disclose either...
We cant control the wind..... but we can direct our sails.........

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2007, 11:35:19 AM »
efavirenz (sustiva, atripla) can cause a false positive on urine tests - specifically, a positive for marijuana use. as far as i'm aware, this only affects the cedia dau multilevel THC assay, manufactured by DuPont..& possibly the DrugCheck5 test used by some us prisons.

a follow up confirmatory blood test, or use of another urine test  would make clear that the result was false.

there's some good info here about drug screens, & the meds which can affect them/ yr legal rights etc.

kate

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2007, 12:16:03 PM »
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in the mid '80's, while I was still working for Eastman Kodak; I was observant of one thing that has yet to be studied, and yet to be confirmed, so one needs to say it is an observation.  Most of the people that I watched die, were people that were riddled with stress and worry over one thing or another, and many passed with wasting, and other disorders connected with eating, and stress.  Those I watched who were users of the green weed, tended to cope a bit better, and were able to eat enough and keep it down, to keep the weight on and stay relatively healthy without medications; which of course were not available. 

Noting this, I worked at Kodak, while also dreaming and planning ways I could move through this HIV life and still have the option of using the green.  Starting a business is not something that should be taken lightly and I had some background for starting one, but of course there is never enough learning.  I decided to go into the trucking business and bought a Kenworth, went to driving scool and landed a job moving furniture.  I lost my butt financially with the business, but what I learned in 18 months of owning the truck, taught me a lifetime of lessons about being independent, while living with HIV.  Testing was not part of the picture at this time, especially for those who were owner drivers.

All this is leading up to the suggestion that you maybe guide your son to think about self employement.  It is one of the best ways to navigate this HIV life, because it does leave you with many options that you would ordinarily not have.  It is very important that he go to some school to learn the basics and nature of private business, but most of us have some talent that we can convert into income of some sort.  The only moniker to this is to make sure that he understands the system of care that is set up for those in poverty.  He will have to access Ryan White if you live in the U.S., or other social support systems in your country.  The green is one thing that has made my 23.5 years with this disease bearable at times, and many times has helped me have the appetite I needed to eat a meal.  (like last night).  It is terrible that one of the most efficatious drugs on the planet for pain and appetite is "against the law, and has been since the thirties".  Like man can outlaw something of God's creation......  Duh.

I am not advocating drug use here, only a suggestion to broaden our view to self support, therefore letting us make more sane decisions about how we handle our own survival.

Love,
(in Arizona, one can have a pound in the freezer for medicinal use, legally.  You just cannot sell or distrubute it)
P.S.  After re-reading, I bet you didn't think you would get a post like this one on this thread, did you?
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline jordan

• What I want is a celebration
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2007, 06:11:34 PM »

Q1:
Would Xanax show up in the test?

Q2:
What is a 420?

Q3:
What is GC/MS?

Q4:
Let's say I go in and get a hair test (i.e., they take a clipping of my air to drug test) and I fail to put down Atripla as a medicine (which is what I'm currently on) and it comes back positive (i.e., a false positive) can it be retaken.

Or it sounds like the best thing to do is list that I'm on Atripla and due to privacy reasons the lab can not notify my employer.

Q5:
Do I have to specifically tell the lab to run a different test?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2007, 07:57:16 PM by jordan »
If you think your lonely now, wait until tonight.

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2007, 08:56:34 AM »
Q1:  Most likely yes--Most drug panels include the benzos.  As a benzodiazapene, Xanax would show up.  If for some reason they don't test for benzos, then it would be no.  But either way, as long as you can provide a prescription and you aren't buying it on the street, they shouldn't be able to do anything to do.  Though, some jobs you might need proof (such as a doctor's note) that you wouldn't be impaired--you know to cover them if you will be working around machinery or something, but then again they might not care.  I think the main thing is as long as you can prove you can function and aren't abusing xanax, then you should be fine.
Q2:  Someone else would have to take that one.
Q3:  GC/MS is more specific than the screening test and a big use is for confirming positives on drug screens.  We use them for pre-employments or doctors may order them for their drug patients--especially those on methadone, because many of those methadone users tend to turn around and sell them when they get on it, so they make sure they are taking the meds.
Q4:  I would say the best thing to do is list it.  I wish I could tell you more about the hair testing.  I am in the lab, but my area of expertise doesn't fall in toxocology.
Q5:  I would just ask the lab.  As far as I know the usual procedure is to automatically confirm positives, but it may not be.  (Anyone who knows more about this area can correct me.)  I think just to be safe, I'd ask and they would certainly be able to tell you.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 08:59:09 AM by Coffeechick88 »
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline jordan

• What I want is a celebration
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2007, 10:52:46 AM »

Thanks for the feedback Coffeechick88.  I suppose they just want to confirm you aren't doing illegal drugs (e.g., Ecstasy, pot, cocaine) in which case I would pass with flying colors  8)

Bottom line is they can not deny you if you are on HAART medicines correct?

Peace,

Jordan
If you think your lonely now, wait until tonight.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.