POZ magazine
Newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr Instagram
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
December 21, 2014, 04:38:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 650047
  • Total Topics: 49619
  • Online Today: 177
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 121
Total: 122

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Fictitious Name  (Read 1350 times)

Offline Oceanbeach

Fictitious Name
« on: March 14, 2007, 06:28:41 PM »
Hi everyone,

One of my major issues with HIV/AIDS is the lack of paid work and benefits since diagnosis (10 years here).  Follow that with the federal funding cuts for treatment/care/services and a couple of state and local issues.  I have grown tired of AIDS Inc.   I have applied for over 400 jobs since 1998 and often finish as Applicant #2 because of the gap in employment history so, I have become a Volunteer! 

I have spent almost two years on the Sonoma County Commission on AIDS, the Executive Committee, Basic Needs Committee, Re-Entry Task Force, Persons Living With HIV Committee, the Funding Allocation Working Group and a few other assorted committees.  For all of this FREE work... I get to line up for charity.

When I moved to Sonoma County, I applied for a position in the Safety Department of Public Works.  I wrote an essay on how I could reduce injuries in the application process that was approximately 30 pages.  I have a letter from County Human Resources which states that Michael is the #1 most qualified applicant for that position and my time was valued at $62,000.00 per year.  Ordinarily, I would not even have applied for such a position because my salary at termination of my last job (HIV to AIDS diagnosis, 1996) was higher than the position of Mayor of the 5th largest city in California by $15K.

Living with this disease, we have to constantly and continuously reinvent ourselves or we lose.  I started working on a new safety design for industry while hospitalized with PCP in 1996.  That program is completed in 9 industry type versions and is about to go on the market in my new web site.

Today was a special day because I just got home from the County Clerks office and the local newspaper.  As of right now, Sonomabeach is doing business as Industrial Safety Consultants and since over the past year or so, I have gotten the most support from each of you on so many issues, I thought the best place to make the first announcement is right here in the forums.  My first paid advertisement will be in the June issue of the Northbay Business Journal.  Have the best day
Michael

Offline frenchpat

• Love your friends, don't eat them.
Re: Fictitious Name
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 06:39:25 PM »
Living with this disease, we have to constantly and continuously reinvent ourselves or we lose. 

How true.

I have been lucky so far to keep doing what I've been doing for 25 years but the reinvention process is one that touches all areas of our lives. It has made me less afraid of change in general even though this disease makes me truly scared sometimes.

best of luck in your new venture Michael
People have the power - Patti Smith

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 06:40:15 PM »
Living with this disease, we have to constantly and continuously reinvent ourselves or we lose.  I started working on a new safety design for industry while hospitalized with PCP in 1996.  That program is completed in 9 industry type versions and is about to go on the market in my new web site.

Best wishes! :) I hope success finds you at every turn

And you are so right about reinvention (Great reminder for us, thank you)
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 06:42:07 PM by allopathicholistic »

Offline Longislander

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 09:48:01 PM »
Good luck Michael!  ;D
infected 10/05 diagnosed 12-05
2/06   379/57000                    6/07 372/30500 25%   4/09 640/U/32% 
5/06   ?? /37000                     8/07 491/55000/24%    9/09 913/U/39%
8/06   349/9500 25%              11/07 515/68000/24     2/10 845/U/38%
9/06   507/16,000 30% !          2/08  516/116k/22%    7/10 906/80/39%
12/06 398/29000 26%             Start Atripla 3/08
3/07   402/80,000 29%            4/08  485/undet!/27
4/07   507/35,000 25%            7/08 625/UD/34%
                                                 11/08 684/U/36%

Offline Lis

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 10:08:55 PM »
your work MATTERS!!!!!  don't stop... there won't be one of us that gets rich in dollars... but the rich in soul is SOOOOO much better!!!

ME!!! the yucky girl.....
poz 1986....

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 11:38:36 PM »
Thank you all sooo much... I have been looking at the paperwork from the Sonoma County Economic Development Board, the paperwork from the County Clerk, and the receipt for the legal ad in the Sonoma West News and Times.  It feels real and feels right but for the monent, I believe I may be in a little shock.  I became a company today.  If you would like an early peek at the website in progress, you can find it at www.reduceworkerscompcosts.com/new.  I have chosen the June issue of the Northbay Business News for my opening advertising because it is a special issue on and for healthcare providers. 

I started the Safety Trivia design in the AIDS ward of St. Mary's Medical Center because I was in isolation and the only visitors that summer were the former employers attorneys, other than the friend who delivered my laptop.  The nurse would unhook my IV and I put on my "Donald Duck" mask to go for a walk.  Everywhere I walked, I saw signs around the hospital re: safety issues so... one afternoon, I went to the Risk Managers office to ask a few questions about Medical Center safety and I got so much to work with.  I took the early proto types to the County of Los Angeles.  They said it was brilliant, thought provoking and had merit but... the County of Los Angeles is the largest employer in California with over 85,000 employees and a loss of over $300 Million annual losses in workers comp claims.  The job was too big for me.

I immediately started working on a hospitality industry series and took it to Hilton Hotels.  That version went to corporate, who never responded.  I believe I am not allowed to play with the big kids anymore so the web version is redesigned for small companies with 100 or fewer employees.  So now I have Safety Trivia 25, 50, 75 and 100 all available in 9 industry types and hopefully with Spanish translations.  I won't get rich doing this and I really don't care about money anymore. But, it has kept me thinking and active in my field through 10 years of disability.  My hopes are to get enough business to keep me busy and off the benefits-go-round.  In my wildest dreams, I would like to move into a little office with some production space (about 1,000 sq. ft) and hire some other people living with our disease all cros trained and with floating schedules so anyone can have an "AIDS day" with no loss of service to the client company. 

When I left L.A. 7 years ago, I thought I lost my edge but it is through and with all my volunteer work with the Commission on AIDS and my time here in these Forums that I found myself again.

LisBeth is not yucky!!!    Have the best day
Michael
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 11:42:40 PM by Sonomabeach »

Offline Robert

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 12:03:09 AM »
You haven't lost your edge, Michael.  That's for sure.   I find you a true inspiration and, who knows, maybe my future boss  ;D.

Now I've got to go and check out your site.....

cheers!

robert

Offline navpad

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2007, 11:29:10 AM »
 plese inform free treatment for indian hospital contactno otherwise my send me email my id is         bha_1531navpad@yahoo.co.in

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.