POZ magazine
E-newsletters
Join POZ: Facebook MySpace Twitter Pinterest
Tumblr Google+ Flickr MySpace
POZ Personals
Sign In / Join
Username:
Password:
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 21, 2014, 11:00:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 620673
  • Total Topics: 46761
  • Online Today: 253
  • Online Ever: 585
  • (January 07, 2014, 02:31:47 PM)
Users Online

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ/AIDSmeds Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Am I Infected?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ/AIDSmeds community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: alchohol and hiv meds.  (Read 1614 times)

Offline egello

• cb
alchohol and hiv meds.
« on: March 14, 2007, 02:25:01 AM »
ok, is three bottle of beer on a weekend night ok to drink when on Haart?
Reyataz / Norvir / Truvada/ Androgel 5 g / 2 days
1/29/07 14 T, 300 k V, 1.8 %
2/22/07 197 T, 247 V, 6.8 %
3/27/07 164 T, <50 V, 5.4 %
5/28/07 177 T, <50 V, 8.2 %
7/28/07 214 T, <50 V, 9.6 %
10/3/07 380 T, <50 V, 10 % no more Mepron, Famvir

Offline Ant

Re: alchohol and hiv meds.
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 05:31:26 AM »
Hi Egello

As far as I know the odd drink ain't gonna hurt you, but as with anyone, it will put additional strain on your liver. Talk to your Doc who may have more facts. I personally cannot drink much now I am on HAART because I get a bad hangover.

« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 02:55:07 PM by Ant »
'Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.' Soren Kierkegaard

Offline J.R.E.

• Joined Dec-2003 Living positive, since 1985.
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 07:37:11 AM »
ok, is three bottle of beer on a weekend night ok to drink when on Haart?

That all depends on how many shots of tequila or Jack Daniels you include with those beers. Can you limit yourself to that amount ?

I only have a few drinks a year, and thats around the holidays. For me, Alchohol and the meds just don't mix, anymore. It wipes me out.

Just be responsible, and use common sense, which isn't always going to happen when someone drinks but hey.....

Ray

Here's an additional link ( even though they may not apply to you, but it is informative

http://qa.hopkins-aids.org/forum/view_question.html?section_id=61&category_id=141&id=70163

http://qa.hopkins-aids.org/forum/view_question.html?section_id=61&category_id=141&id=111667

http://www.aidsmap.com/en/docs/8A8CF2C7-AFFD-4D31-B1FD-F5C1CD8E388B.asp
« Last Edit: March 14, 2007, 08:15:46 AM by J.R.E. »
Current Meds ; Viramune, Epzicom, 40mg of simvastatin, 12.5mg of Hydrochlorothiazide.
Metoprolol tartrate 25mg

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=40802.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=45159.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39722.msg495621;topicseen#msg495621

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=46806.0

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=39414.msg491701#msg491701

In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started my first  HAART regimen  on October 24th,03.

As of April 14, 2014,  t-cells are at 485 Viral load unknown @ this time

Current % is at 14% (L)

62 years young.

Offline JPinLA

• Cheers!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 11:26:48 AM »
Hi there!  I just started Truvada/Viramune about  a week ago. I was a pretty tolerant drinker (i.e. I could drink plenty without much hangover the next day).  Well, the night before last I had 3 margaritas and boy did I have one hell of headache yesterday.  I think the meds might have something to do with it...

Like everyone says, everything in moderation..
11/06 - Diagnosed - VL/5784 & CD4 326
2/07 - VL/6000 & CD4 290 2/07
3//07 -Began Truvada/Viramune 
4/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 320 22%
7/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 286 22%
11/07 VL/undetectable and CD4 302 26%

Offline SouthSam7

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 11:33:19 AM »
I love my beer and wine.  I started a statin (cholesterol drug) about a week ago and it says to watch the alcohol.  I also take norvir.  I felt like sh*t the next day and I still don't feel right.  I normally have one or two glasses of wine a night, but since last week I haven't had any- it hasn't sounded good to me since I started feeling sick.  I'm not sure if it's because i'm on a new medicine (the statin) or if it's due to the alcohol.  I would reduce my alcohol consumption if I were you.  Sorry!
Sam

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 01:48:32 PM »
In principle yes

For one, it won;t affect the meds working, however it might give you the squits, that's kinda personal on how you react

Whether or not you can drink on meds is really variable, me, personally can polish off a bottle or red wine, and while this does make my eyes yellowy in the morning, two bottles and they're clear, but then I know peeps who if they so much as look at a beer throw up and get a rash, cramps etc. 

Cholesterol and liver enzymes are important, and it is worth watching if these go up if you drink, cos most times laying off the booze is a plus factor for bringing them down.

Then again, being relaxed, happy and having fun reduces stress, is kinda normal, and feeling normal even for an hour or two is v important with HIV, so there may be benefits to a beer or two of a Friday evening.

- matt (liver: normal) the newt

Now playing: Cypress Hill, Psychpbetabuckdown
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2014 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.