Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:34:00 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37649
  • Latest: MSB92
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773264
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 361
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 290
Total: 291

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Truvada better than Combivir?  (Read 15157 times)

Offline achim-martin

Truvada better than Combivir?
« on: February 11, 2008, 12:01:40 pm »
Is it true, that truvada causes less lipoprobs than Combivir? Cause our Doc at the Clinic in Las Palmas wants my partner to move to truvada cause of that...  Actually my partner doesn't even have problems, but they want him to change anyway.   

Offline allanq

Re: Truvada better than Combivir?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 09:03:14 pm »
Switching from Combivir to Truvada is a good idea. The AZT in Combivir is a major cause of lipoatrophy--loss of fat in the face, arms, and legs. I speak from experience. The Viread in Truvada is much less associated with this problem. Lipoatrophy can take years to develop, and once it does, it cannot be reversed. It's a good idea to switch before you start experiencing lipoatrophy.

Many doctors do not pay enough attention to lipodystrophy; they focus only on the lab numbers. You're lucky to have a doctor who is being proactive on this issue.

Allan

Edited to add this:
In a small percentage of people, Viread can affect kidney function. Therefore, it is important to monitor your kidney function (creatinine levels) while on Truvada.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2008, 08:29:56 pm by allanq »

Offline achim-martin

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 08:02:05 am »
good to know, thanx!

For what I've read it may also not be quite so good for the bones - osteoporosis?! Well, more calcium etc...

Offline eric jensen

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2008, 05:12:09 pm »
I was on Triziver and Combivir for my start meds and was on them from 2001-2006.  Didn't see any body changes.  Moved to Atripla, which contains Truvada, and over the course of the year, fat loss in my lower half.  If I had to do it again, I would have stayed on the original regimen. 

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2008, 05:35:17 pm »
I was on Triziver and Combivir for my start meds and was on them from 2001-2006.  Didn't see any body changes.  Moved to Atripla, which contains Truvada, and over the course of the year, fat loss in my lower half.  If I had to do it again, I would have stayed on the original regimen. 

Lipo is generally a delayed effect from meds, not instantaneous.  How do you know that your lipo was not a delayed effect from your first regimen (especially the AZT in Combivir)?

You may also wish to follow up with what you said on this thread, and the subsequent replies:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=615.msg270386#msg270386
« Last Edit: May 27, 2008, 05:36:58 pm by philly267 »
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline megasept

• Steven here...
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2008, 01:46:41 pm »
Lipo is generally a delayed effect from meds, not instantaneous.  How do you know that your lipo was not a delayed effect from your first regimen (especially the AZT in Combivir)?

You may also wish to follow up with what you said on this thread, and the subsequent replies:

http://forums.poz.com/index.php?topic=615.msg270386#msg270386

Hi. I realize you say "generally a delayed effect" and Peter S has said something similar in this discussion. Well, I am the exception. For me fat changes ONLY happen very rapidly (days, not months), and Lipo arrived during a long period of zero changes in diet, exercise, work, or meds. I think there's a threshold effect for me, like water reaching the top of a dam. The last reversal of Metoformin's positive effect on decreasing remaining Lipo-induced fat, did happen after a vacation with different eating habits, so admittedly that's not quite so clear an example of my point. Still, my lifestyle is back to normal but the new pesky fat won't budge. Interesting discussion.

8)  -megasept

Offline SATC

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 01:07:25 am »
Eric,

Efavirenz can be a causitive agent in lipodytrophy and lipoatrophy. When I was younger I had gynaecomastia, I was about 16, but my grandparents paid for me to have it removed when I was 16. I have consistently tried to avoid all drugs that are associated with gynaecomastia because it was such a distressing thing to me. My doctor told me that Efavirenz can rarely be associated with gynaecomastia and that was good enough reason for me to stay off of it.

And for everyone else, I had rapidly progressing lipoatrophy on a Reyataz monotherapy. Reyataz monotherapy was the first thing I was ever on when it first came out back in 2003. My viral load was not very high, and I was pretty adverse to getting on drugs at all, but I agreed to it because my doc told me it caused no lipid problems at all. After 8 months of being on Reyataz I put on 20 pounds and my face was very wasted. I had to pay $22,000 to have a tummy tuck and for them to take some of the fat they removed and put it into my cheeks. 4 years later and I still look better then ever.

Offline sharkdiver

« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2008, 09:55:10 am »
Eric,

Efavirenz can be a causitive agent in lipodytrophy and lipoatrophy. When I was younger I had gynaecomastia, I was about 16, but my grandparents paid for me to have it removed when I was 16. I have consistently tried to avoid all drugs that are associated with gynaecomastia because it was such a distressing thing to me. My doctor told me that Efavirenz can rarely be associated with gynaecomastia and that was good enough reason for me to stay off of it.

And for everyone else, I had rapidly progressing lipoatrophy on a Reyataz monotherapy. Reyataz monotherapy was the first thing I was ever on when it first came out back in 2003. My viral load was not very high, and I was pretty adverse to getting on drugs at all, but I agreed to it because my doc told me it caused no lipid problems at all. After 8 months of being on Reyataz I put on 20 pounds and my face was very wasted. I had to pay $22,000 to have a tummy tuck and for them to take some of the fat they removed and put it into my cheeks. 4 years later and I still look better then ever.

Just for clarification, were you on some type of monotherapy clinical trial and if so, which one? You actually got a tummy tuck? Usually and I am saying usually, the abdominal fat redistribution is visceral fat (isolated truncal obesity), in which is very dangerous because because its the fat around your organs.   Sorry you had such unusual adverse reactions.

Offline ubotts

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2008, 09:17:14 pm »
I was on combivir for a few yrs, and then I read a post in this group and I was told to
get on truvada...so I did.

It has no azt like everyone said above me, but it wont reverse what has already happened to my body, but at least its more in check now..

Yes truvada is better than combivir...good luck my friend.
Live Love Laugh and dance like no ones watching.
Laughter is the best medicine, so try to have a laugh everyday..Even if your not feeling your best, think about something that was funny at one time in your life and work with it..   :o)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.