Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:26:55 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773289
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 690
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 614
Total: 617

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Steven Slater (jet blue flight attendant) is HIV positive.  (Read 7467 times)

Offline HowYouDoin

• this is not me but i wish, lol
Steven Slater (jet blue flight attendant) is HIV positive.
« on: October 22, 2010, 10:05:04 pm »
Not that it make a difference to his felony charge cause the law doesn't take into account but is he playing the HIV card to get out of jail?

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
Re: Steven Slater (jet blue flight attendant) is HIV positive.
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 10:06:41 pm »
Not that it make a difference to his felony charge cause the law doesn't take into account but is he playing the HIV card to get out of jail?

I thought we knew this from the get go?

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2010, 01:27:54 am »
There is a HIV card that gets you out of jail? I thought HIV put you into jail.  Obviously I need to read the updated version of the benefits book.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 01:29:42 am by GSOgymrat »

Offline zach

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2010, 06:05:17 am »
I got a good laugh out of this dude. However, I'm in the aviation field, and I think what he did was incredibly stupid. It's dangerous to deploy that slide with ground crew below. Is he gay? I thought so, but my gaydar acts up alot. Does he have AIDS? I don't know, but I worry about the implications. Maybe was his behavior affected by any recent changes in meds? I've acted the fool a few times, never landed on the evening news though.

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2010, 06:25:43 am »
Guess I've been living under a rock again. I did not know of Mr. Slater's status and it doesn't matter to me, but not surprisingly, it matters to some folks. Read the following comments I found on an msnbc travel thread. Yikes, people are so naive. If people knew how many food handlers, at every level of the process, have HIV, phobic folk would never eat at restaurants.

Mark-2529587
Mr Slater wigged out because he didn't like what a passenger said and was under stress. Good thing there wasn't a real emergency where the lives of the passengers were depending on his ability to act responsibly. He cost the airlines significant expenses and delays and he should have to pay. We live in lawful society where public trust is placed in the hands of pilots and crew to ensure passenger safety is upheld. Thank god it wasn't the disgruntled pilot or Air Traffic Controller.

I also find it disturbing that the airlines would allow an HIV positive attendant work as a food handler. Pilots and crew are required to undergo medical certification.

#1 - Tue Oct 19, 2010 12:56 PM EDT..tasweet2
Although I have great compassion, a HIV positive person should NEVER be hired to serve the public. NO ONE with a disease that can be passed to another should be allowed. PERIOD! This is a horrible disease. Why would the airlines hire a seriously ill person to work "IN" the confines of an airplane? I thought all I needed to worry about was a bomb or being hijacked. Now we find out that we have to worry about the snacks and drinks we accept in flight. THAT'S REALLY GREAT! Maybe we should all go back to driving. With the rediculious time it takes to just get on the plane and the NEWS that very sick people are serving us, I think I'll just drive. Do the math, it may, or may not, take more time to get there, but it may save you or your child.

#2 - Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:11 PM EDT.MacDave Austin
HIV is not airborne. You can't catch it from casual contact, or from an HIV positive person handing you prepackaged snacks or drinks. You might want to read the facts about HIV/AIDS before you prove your ignorance on the subject. Your comments harken back to the fears of the early 1980's.

And being HIV positive - or even having an AIDS diagnosis - does not equate to "seriously ill". We can function quite well, manage the virus with medication, and are no risk to you.

Please do drive. That's one more seat for a more educated person.

#2.1 - Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:38 PM EDT..mkguy
Educate yourselves about HIV (you might want to include other diseases while you are at it). Someone serving your drinks and food along with your tickets and keys at the valet parking, the book you purchase at the book store or borrow at the library and the may other ways you are served does NOT put you in harms way of contracting HIV.

#3 - Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:26 PM EDT..Marcia Ellen
Jet Blue is to be commended on their employment opportunities. I only hope they can give a second chance to someone who stepped up and took responsibility for their actions. It is obvious the other people involved have not been adult enough or proud enough of their behavior. I hope they have been permanently thrown off this airline.

It was a great opportunity for victims of HIV to be able to work in a field they want, that unfortunately has brought forth the bigotry still found today. Not everyone is narrowminded to think there is only one way one is exposed and infected to HIV . Dr.s, Nurses, emergency responders, etc are HIV infected, and being treated and serve all of us.

#4 - Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:42 PM EDT..jumpintoconclusions
fool me once, shame on you....

jet blue will be stupid and expose themselves to litigation if they hired employees with known ISSUES...

let this fool rot in his own gunk

#5 - Tue Oct 19, 2010 3:38 PM EDT..pipofan
Are airlines required by law not to hire HIV positive people to serve the public in an airplane, serving and handling food and drinks? If this guy sustained a cut and bleed profusely and spread over the passengers, I wonder if anyone would take this issue lightly. He should pay for the damages he did to Jetblue then a max time in jail. No one feel sorry for idiots like this that his actions would put one's life at risk. HIV is a deadly decease with no cure, its like a bomb ready to explode!

#6 - Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:41 PM EDT.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 06:29:07 am by emeraldize »

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2010, 06:26:36 am »
Yes this was part of the initial news so its nothing new.

Zach you raise an interesting point.  I remember when I was on Sustiva I had a few days scattered over a few months when I was a pretty awful teacher and human. Luckily I also had a weekly shrink session and drugs to help and was aware that freak outs were happening.  So each time I could eventually catch myself out and stop and regroup. (A little lorazepam, yum!)

However, i don't think its very constructive to go forward with such speculation about the role of HIV in Slater's freakout, because it could add stigma to working with HIV, which we certainly don't need.

And, besides, anyone working with any kind of serious medication could face similar challenges. I don't think there's anything special about HAART here compared to other health challenges and accompanying medication.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2010, 07:46:19 am »
i know tons of guys who are hiv+  and are flight attendants and the airlines is quite aware of their status,the AIRLINES pay for their meds!!!!

Offline wolfter

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2010, 07:53:09 am »
Just like the twinkie defense; the HIV made me do it. 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline camille07

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2010, 07:54:26 am »
His Hiv status broke early in the story so I wasn't so surprised.  I was trying to find an article about his sentencing and he didn't get off off scott free.  He has been issued to pay 10k and a year of mental health counseling.

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2010/10/19/2010-10-19_jetblue_flight_attendant_steven_slater_pleads_guilty_agrees_to_pay_10000_to_avoi.html

I did take a peek at that forum for the Daily News.  There was a lot of comments regarding him acting irresponsibly but not because of his hiv status. I wonder why such a difference in the comments themselves?

Offline emeraldize

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2010, 12:39:40 pm »
After the news hit 8-9, I never paid attention to Mr. Slater's plight---and never heard nor read of his status until this thread. Actually, in some ways, I'm glad of that because it means our local news didn't beat it to a pulp. I'm sorry to learn he was ripped off while in court and glad to know given his mom's cancer, that he's not going to have to pay too dearly. A yearlong mental health program seems lengthy, given the likes of Lindsay and her issues, but if it helps him get reinstated with an airline like Southwest or any other employment he would like, then great.

Steven Slater Burglarized During Court Hearing
By: Bill Waters
Staff Writer
Published: Oct 23, 2010

Steven Slater burglarized during his court hearing on Tuesday. Former JetBlue flight attendant Steven Slater was burglarized by his partner's brother. The Queens County district attorney claims the burlgary at Steven Slater's apartment wasn't random.

"The defendant is accused basically of a crime of opportunity -- brazenly breaking into his brother's apartment in broad daylight when he knew that nobody would be home," Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said in a statement. The suspect has been charged in the burglary.

The suspect was named Jonathan Rochelle, 39, of Queens. He was awaiting arraignment Wednesday in Criminal Court on second-degree burglary. Rochelle also has other charges pending, according to the district attorney's office.

According to the charges, Rochelle stole a laptop, printer, and microwave. If convicted, he faces up to 15 years in prison.

Slater -- who gained nationwide attention in August when he cursed a passenger over a public address system, deployed the plane's emergency evacuation slide and used it to dramatically exit the JetBlue plane as it sat at John F. Kennedy International Airport -- pleaded guilty Tuesday to two counts of attempted criminal mischief.

Under a plea deal, he must enter a yearlong mental health program.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2010, 01:03:31 pm by emeraldize »

Offline mecch

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2010, 02:57:23 pm »
What kind of brother breaks in and steals from his own brother! 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2010, 03:11:28 pm »
It states it was his partner's brother.

Regarding the MSNBC comments, they are moronic and, unfortunately, typical of beliefs held by many both in the U.S. and around the globe.

"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline mecch

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2010, 04:16:25 pm »

I read it differently:  that he lives with his bf and his bf's brother broke in.

"The defendant is accused basically of a crime of opportunity -- brazenly breaking into his brother's apartment in broad daylight when he knew that nobody would be home," Queens District Attorney Richard Brown said in a statement. The suspect has been charged in the burglary.

Anyway, I guess that's off the topic. But this man's life seems a bit complicated.  Didn't Miss P said he had some secret dish on this guy??  Hmmmmmm

Offline camille07

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2010, 04:52:42 pm »

Regarding the MSNBC comments, they are moronic and, unfortunately, typical of beliefs held by many both in the U.S. and around the globe.

Ha, yes, unfortunately this is true.  However the daily news (online) isn't exactly npr, but it is a New York newspaper.   ;)

Offline zach

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2010, 07:33:56 am »
this week on springer, gay in flight service people, and the people that love them, and the family that robs them.... this whole thing has turned into a carnival side show

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2010, 01:08:09 am »
Wasn't Slater taking care of his mother with cancer?  I'm sure that would cause a lot of stress. 

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2010, 01:32:40 am »
Slater interviewed by Matt Lauer on the "Today Show".  And, the HIV issue comes up.  I know it is not fair to judge someone based on one interview.  Having said that, Slater reminds me of many I know who are always...difficult.  I'll put it that way.  That is just how he comes off to me and I know that isn't fair, since I don't know him.

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/39856129/

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2010, 01:51:50 am »
Having said that, Slater reminds me of many I know who are always...difficult.  I'll put it that way. 

As opposed to saying he's a flamboyant flaming cocksucker, I take it?
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Hellraiser

• Semi-misanthropic
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2010, 03:16:49 am »
As opposed to saying he's a flamboyant flaming cocksucker, I take it?

You can be difficult without, but I think this guy would qualify as all of the above.  I mean how much can we really tell from an interview?  For all we know he could be a heterosexual man.

Offline madbrain

• No longer an active member
    • My personal site
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2010, 03:28:38 am »
i know tons of guys who are hiv+  and are flight attendants and the airlines is quite aware of their status,the AIRLINES pay for their meds!!!!

Under HIPAA, businesses cannot be made aware of a specific individual's medical conditions. Even if they pay for procedures or medications. They can know what they are paying for, but not who specifically.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.