Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 11:58:48 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773292
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 802
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 663
Total: 663

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Introducing myself  (Read 5368 times)

Offline BorbaColen

• Leave something for Me and My Imagination
Introducing myself
« on: January 16, 2012, 01:09:24 pm »
Hey guys,

Well, it's been some time that I visit this forum, and i finally decided to join.

How r u doing?

I'm Borba, from Brazil, and I'm having a lovely summer. I was infected in october-november 2010, and I got the positive test in 10th June 2011. It was a shock, of course, my boyfriend gave me a lot of love and support, and I do believe that the virus actually made us to love and care for each other even more. He is negative, we have always played safe.
I told my parents in August, as I dont live with them anymore. Lots of crying, but everything seems to be fine. Exercising, eating healthy, no alcohol and looking forward to work and study that is yet to come in 2012.

My numbers:
August 11 - CD4: 560, VL: 185
December 11 - CD4: 960, VL: <20

I'm not taking any drugs. At least they are free in Brazil.

I guess that's it. I just wanted to say hi. This place has helped me a lot, and now I'm looking forward to contribute.

ps: Please forgive bad english, i'm not native
pps: as a brazilian, I'm REALLY sorry for the "Ai se eu te pego" success

Offline ratcat

Re: Introducing myself
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 01:17:54 pm »
Fantastic numbers dude :).  Welcome

Offline BorbaColen

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 01:24:01 pm »
Thankyou  ;)

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 01:50:19 pm »
Welcome. :)

If your VL remains that low you might be one of the lucky few whose body naturally controls viral multiplication which means you may not need meds for a long time- although it is a bit early to say that.

Best.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 01:54:50 pm by spacebarsux »
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline BorbaColen

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2012, 02:08:14 pm »
Thanks, spacebarsux

Yeah, my doc also told me that. I have a friend that was infected almost at the same time as me, and he is already on drugs. Doc said that 1 year infection and VL < 20 is a great great sign.

Bests

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2012, 03:05:51 pm »
welcome Borba ;D

although it is a bit early to say that.
goodness, it's way, way too early to even talk about that.  ::) :D It's actually very common for someone to not need meds within the first couple (or longer) years after infection. After the initial infection period settles down, many people go for years will little viral load increase before the HIV seriously begins to replicate (known as the "clinical latency period").

notice the red line ;) in this handy-dandy chart about HIV VL increase and cd4 decrease
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2012, 03:25:18 pm »
Yes, I know all of that Leatherman. I said that bearing in mind the OP's virtually undetectable VL (without treatment) in the first year of infection, which is atypical and could mean that he's among the lucky few (but early to say that-yes).
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline newt

• the one and original newt
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2012, 03:27:44 pm »
goodness, it's way, way too early to even talk about that

I disagree, it's an exceptional natural immune response and worth a chat or two.

This said, things do change....

- matt

PS - welcome
"The object is to be a well patient, not a good patient"

Offline BorbaColen

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2012, 04:56:22 pm »
Hey folks

Well leatherman, my doc showed me exactly the same graphic, and I've been studying about HIV since I was infected, including this forum as a source:). You're right, its a bit too early to classify me in any category, but what matters is that my body is doing great right now, and I'm working for it to keep doing just like that. I'm not creating expectations or anything, but of course I'm happy with the numbers ;)

Been + has changed me a lot, in a good way, ironically. It has even changed my goals in college, work, family and specially my own particular world. Its soon to say anything, but I'm glad to have this space of sharing and discuss

Offline BorbaColen

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2012, 06:00:12 pm »
Thanks newt ;)

Offline Gman49

• Professional
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 06:17:59 pm »
BorbaColen

My VL have been UD since I've been diagnosed in Dec 2010 but confirmed Feb 2011   I am on meds (Atripla) since march 2011 but have been told that I am a LTNP.  My ID and researchers are reviewing my numbers about whether I should stay on meds.  Please keep me abreast of you progress

Also welcome to the forum

Gman
Live to Serve!

Offline BorbaColen

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2012, 07:00:02 pm »
Thanks, Gman

If you are UD, why are u in treatment?
My next test are on late feb

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2012, 07:11:23 pm »

My numbers:
August 11 - CD4: 560, VL: 185
December 11 - CD4: 960, VL: <20

I'm not taking any drugs. At least they are free in Brazil.

Great numbers, free drugs in Brazil  :o I'm jealous  :-X  Welcome to the forums  :D
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline BorbaColen

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2012, 07:19:35 pm »
It's illegal to sell hiv drugs in Brazil, the only way to get them is trough the public hospitals and other medicals institutions, for free   ;)

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 08:51:30 pm »
Welcome to our humble abode!

Awesome numbers  ;)

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2012, 01:48:30 am »
Borba, welcome and very nice to meet you.  It is nice to hear you're doing so well.  By the way, your English is very good.  If you hadn't told us, I wouldn't have known it was your 2nd language.

All the best and I look forward to hearing more from you!

Ted

Offline BorbaColen

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2012, 06:20:06 pm »
Thankyou all, people here are really kind.

I've been thinking about joining a group in my town called "Somos Positivos" (We are Positives, in portuguese) that is basically like AA, for gay + men to share their lifes and dramas. Altough seems great, it also seems scary to be so exposed, and even scarier if somebody at college or work find out.

Its not that I want to play hide and seek forever, I'm just not ready to tell the world, even knowing that I want to fight for the hiv cause in the future. Am I being paranoid? How do you guys handle the "exposure drama"?

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2012, 08:04:30 pm »
Thankyou all, people here are really kind.

I've been thinking about joining a group in my town called "Somos Positivos" (We are Positives, in portuguese) that is basically like AA, for gay + men to share their lifes and dramas. Altough seems great, it also seems scary to be so exposed, and even scarier if somebody at college or work find out.

Its not that I want to play hide and seek forever, I'm just not ready to tell the world, even knowing that I want to fight for the hiv cause in the future. Am I being paranoid? How do you guys handle the "exposure drama"?

You have to be ready for being totally "out" or even partially "out".  If you're not right now, then it's okay.  In full disclosure, I've not told anyone.  The 3 who know my status do so, because it was told to them at the hospital. 

But, I have begun taking my best friend with me to my doc appointments, which are at an exclusively HIV practice.  I keep waiting for him to put things together, but he is always with his head stuck in his phone in the waiting room.  Now, I'm just kinda interested in seeing how long it will take him to figure out that we are at an HIV clinic...lol.  All kidding aside, I completely understand wondering who will find out, if you're not ready for that.  But, even though I haven't told anyone, I don't think I'd be worried about going to a group meeting.  But, a group meeting like that here would be held in some building, where I couldn't imagine ever running into anyone else--unless they were poz, too.  I think it is worth taking the chance, if it is really something you want to join.

Best!

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2012, 04:44:45 am »
You're right, its a bit too early to classify me in any category, but what matters is that my body is doing great right now, and I'm working for it to keep doing just like that.

If your body is controlling HIV wonderfully it isn't because of any "work" you are doing.  Its great you have this response. Its great that the HIV diagnosis has had positive impacts on many aspects of your life. 

Just my opinion that this immune response is because of genetics and not lifestyle, diet, beliefs, thoughts.   Though if you believe that, and that helps you, OK with me.

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline BorbaColen

« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2012, 09:48:57 pm »
I keep waiting for him to put things together, but he is always with his head stuck in his phone in the waiting room.  Now, I'm just kinda interested in seeing how long it will take him to figure out that we are at an HIV clinic...lol.

Hahah well Ted, maybe he just doesnt think he should say something, and its waiting for you to start the conversation. I cant imagine someone at the clinic to busy playing angry birds to notice lol

Thanks for your words. I have been thinking about it, and I guess I'm gonna take a shot as soon as I get back from my parents.

If your body is controlling HIV wonderfully it isn't because of any "work" you are doing.  Its great you have this response. Its great that the HIV diagnosis has had positive impacts on many aspects of your life. 

Just my opinion that this immune response is because of genetics and not lifestyle, diet, beliefs, thoughts.   Though if you believe that, and that helps you, OK with me.

Yeah, mecch, you are right. Altough I do believe that having a healthy life style helps anyone fighting anything, including hiv, dont you? My body had a great response, and I'm so glad, but I think that taking care of my body can improve things even more, as this has a direct effect on my immune system. And that is so important to us. We should always keep that in mind, even when crying and feeling like garbage, like I was last night.

Bests

~Borba~

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.