Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 02, 2024, 07:04:24 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37617
  • Latest: NChio
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772997
  • Total Topics: 66312
  • Online Today: 225
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 171
Total: 171

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: Oral sex with canker sore, experiencing what feels like PN  (Read 24880 times)

Offline amazon12

Oral sex with canker sore, experiencing what feels like PN
« on: October 03, 2010, 08:57:24 am »
Hi, All

I've read several statements regarding oral sex and the possibility of transmission via an open sore in the mouth, however, I was under the impression that Oral Sex was basically a no risk situation, especially without ejaculation.

Here is what happened.  Like an idiot, while walking through a park late one night, I guy came onto me, and well behind the bushes we went.  For about a week already, I had a canker sore right at my edge of my lip inside of my mouth.  I thought the sore was basically okay, as it no longer was painful. I went down on this guy for a very short period of time, I don't remember their being pre-cum and he certainly didn't ejaculate in my mouth...

What seemed like 30 days later, I suddenly became extremely nauseous for days.  I would have a headache on and off, my body was hot and then suddenly, it was all over.

Two weeks after that, I started to notice my right foot burning on the top (almost as if I has put on icy hot or bengay).  The burning then moved from my foot to the ankle and a little ways up my leg.  I've had the burning sensation in my wrist, my elbow, on the top of my hands and even in my shoulders... After A LOT of research, I read that Peripheral Neuropathy is a sign of HIV.  I'm 24, have always been pretty healthy, and suddenly, after that encounter, my skin starts to burn in places that indicates peripheral neuropathy.  I plan to test, but this doesn't make any sense?  Is this PN a result of an oral sex transmission?  Is it Herpes induced?  Is it possible that his precum transmitted the virus? 

How often is PN an early sign of HIV.  In all of my years of educating myself, I had never heard of PN.  Thanks for the feedback.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: Oral sex with canker sore, experiencing what feels like PN
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 09:13:58 am »
Nothing you have reported put you at risk for the transmission of HIV. Your saliva has over a dozen proteins and enzymes which very effectively prevent the transmission of viable HIV.

Right now you seem to be misinterpreting anything that happens to you physically as HIV-related. You're not a doctor. If you are having symptoms that are bothering you, discuss them with someone who is properly educated to make a diagnosis. Nothing you are reporting is HIV-specific.

This is not an HIV situation. There is no need for testing.
Andy Velez

Offline amazon12

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2010, 09:25:48 am »
I've read in several places, here and on other sites, that people received their diagnosis after questioning their PN symptoms.  The burning has been in the middle of my back and is now at my ankles, basically, all over the place. I had no such thing going on with my body until after this encounter. 

Perhaps, the air and temperature outside decreased the amount of saliva in my mouth? If I wasn't at risk for HIV, then what could possibly cause PN for someone that is 24?  How often do people complain of PN in early stages of HIV?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2010, 09:39:37 am »
We cannot diagnose symptoms here. Go see a doctor and find out what's happening and why. This is NOT an HIV situation.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2010, 11:32:56 am »
amazon,

You shouldn't be giving anyone blowjobs when you have open sores on your lips. What you're calling a canker sore is more likely to be oral herpes and you can spread oral herpes to the genitals by having oral sex with an outbreak. Keep your herpes to yourself.

There have been long-term studies of couples where one is positive and one is negative. In the couples who used condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, but no barrier for oral activities, not one of the negative partners became infected with hiv. Not one.

Here's what you need to know in order to remain hiv negative:

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together.

To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI. Sex without a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results.

Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, correctly and consistently, and you will avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple!

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline amazon12

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 12:09:49 pm »
Hi Ann, 

Thanks for responding.  I've been led to believe that Oral Herpes happens outside the mouth, while canker sores are inside.  I might have given a terrible description of the location of the sore, but it was inside the mouth, the inner part directly in front of the canine tooth.  Am I correct in assessing that herpes is generally on the mouth and canker sores are outside?

I know from all that I've read, that saliva usually renders HIV ineffective... There was no ejaculation and no one ever knows if a person is pre-cumming or not.  And again, the sore had been in my mouth for about 8 or 9 days and I sucked him off for I'm sure less than a minute.  It's just weird, because I feel my skin burning in several different places (tops of feet, sides of calves, wrist, middle of spine, top lip, etc)  And with all my internet research, the only plausible explanation of Peripheral Neuropathy in most reviews for someone my age is typically HIV related.  This burning doesn't bother me in bed, but only when I am still, like right now.

I read those studies long, long ago about serodiscordant couples... In respect to that I thought that surely giving oral wouldn't be a problem, so long as my sore wasn't bleeding and the person didn't ejaculate.  In retrospect, what do we know about the oral health of the individuals in the study?  And what would one say about this peripheral neuropathy?

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 12:38:22 pm »
amazon,

It is rare in the extreme for PN to occur in primary hiv infection. When it does, the person is usually so ill in general that they have to be hospitalised. PN in hiv infection is almost always caused by some of the older meds used to treat hiv. It can sometimes happen due to hiv itself, but only when the person has been positive for many years and not on treatment.

So no, you don't have PN. What you describe is nothing like PN anyway.

There were actually three studies that looked at transmission in serodiscordant couples. There were hundreds of couples involved and you can bet that the oral health of the participants ran the gamut from very good to bad. You didn't have a risk.

You might want to get yourself tested for herpes. It can sometimes occur on the inner side of the lip, especially if you got it from giving a blowjob. Most people have it on the outside of their lips because they've gotten it through kissing.  If you need more information, ask your doctor. It's worth looking into because there are meds you can be prescribed to stop outbreaks from occurring. However, this is an hiv website and we must keep our focus on hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline amazon12

« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 02:36:25 pm »
Okay, thanks for the invaluable information, Ann and Andy!

Offline amazon12

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2010, 01:33:32 pm »
I'm back again questioning my scenario. 

In late July I performed unprotected oral sex on a guy (status unknown).  It was for a short period of time, he did not ejaculate (although he could have had pre-cum).  I did have an open wound, a canker sore.  I didn't think much of it because the sore was no longer painful and I wasn't having to numb it to eat, talk or to give head.

I had no idea of what PN was until I looked up "burning sensation on hands and feet."  This phenomena has out right scared me.  The burning simply felt like icy hot has been applied to portions of my hands, feet, elbows, calves, and sometimes in other odd places on the body. I don't feel it when I am walking, and it is probably worse when I am sitting down and comes usually earlier in the day.  Now, since my last post, the PN is like little dull pains in my feet and hands here in there.  The bouts last for about 15 seconds at a time and then go away.

How likely is it that a person contracts HIV from giving a blow job, with a canker sore? I'm not experiencing any other illnesses with PN, so could this be early stage HIV causing PN?  Is my worrying pointless?

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2010, 04:23:22 pm »
You never had a risk of contract HIV from oral sex.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2010, 05:24:47 pm »
The risk for HIV from giving a blowjob is essentially theoretical than real. In the real world of HIV the only confirmed risks for the sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse.

Ongoing longterm studies of sero-discordant couples, both gay and straight have involved lots of unprotected mutual oral and only protected vaginal and anal intercourse. To date not a single sero-negative partner has become infected. Prudence dictates that if you have a raw bleeding wound in your mouth that isn't the moment to be blowing a guy, but then that is hardly the setting when you would likely be considering to do that.

As for your symptoms, discuss them with your doctor. They have nothing to do with HIV. There's no need for testing nor for further concern on your part about this incident. We do suggest that anyone who is sexually active ought to have a full STD panel done at least once a year because other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline amazon12

« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2010, 07:08:32 am »
I've believed that such is so regarding oral sex for ages, which is why I've performed it without thinking twice.  In regards to safe sex, I always thought oral sex was safe.

I have this huge chancre right above my tonsil, it's been there for about a month now.  I've had my burning sensation in feet and hands turn into sharp, dull pains.  I want to believe the studies and I want to believe you all, but I simply wonder if a possibility of transmission happened from pre-ejaculate into a canker sore... EIther way, I haven't the slightest idea how an onset of PN would have happened so early if it were an HIV infection.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2010, 07:15:35 am »
Have you been diagnosed with PN? PN is not specific to HIV and you have not had a risk of contracting HIV.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2010, 09:18:10 am »
Instead of simply recounting your symptoms to us, since we cannot diagnose anything in this setting, how about going to see a doctor about your concerns?

We've already told you that we don't see this as an HIV situation.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2010, 10:26:23 am »
I have this huge chancre right above my tonsil, it's been there for about a month now.

Amazon,

I hope you're aware that you could very possibly have oral syphilis. You really need to be checked out for that, pronto. However, as this is an hiv-specific website, if you have questions about syphilis, you'll have to go see a doctor or STI clinic.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline amazon12

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2010, 11:57:06 am »
What happens if a person is co-infected with Syphilis and HIV? Does that happen orally? Is it then possible for PN to be an earlier symptom? 

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2010, 12:35:42 pm »
What happens if a person is co-infected with Syphilis and HIV? Does that happen orally? Is it then possible for PN to be an earlier symptom? 

HIV related PN is almost always caused by medication used to treat HIV, medication that, I should note, is rarely used these days.

I hope you get that thing in your mouth checked out. And I also hope you do not give fellatio to anyone else until it is resolved.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2010, 12:42:06 pm »
You continue to bring up HIV when you have been repeatedly told that nothing you are reporting has put you at risk for HIV.

If you are serious about your health you need to go and get a checkup for other STDs to find our where you are in relation to those possibilities.
Andy Velez

Offline amazon12

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2010, 03:20:07 pm »
I can't seem to find a free clinic to go to for testing for Syphilis in Boston, MA.  Are there particular websites that have a host of STD Clinic options?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Andy Velez

Offline amazon12

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2010, 04:20:42 pm »
I was tested for Syphilis, Gonorrhea and Chlamydia, all were negative.

I am still experiencing aches and pains in my hands, arms, feet and legs that resemble Peripheral Neuropathy....

What else, in all the world would cause such symptoms.  Herpes?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2010, 04:58:30 pm »
We've already told you we can't diagnose symptoms here. And we're not in the guessing business. You should be discussing your "symptoms" with your doctor to get a proper diagnosis.  What we do know is that HIV is not the problem.
Andy Velez

Offline amazon12

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2010, 11:34:45 pm »
How early in the transmission of HIV does Neuropathy happen?  When it happens, is one usually sick it is a result of HIV infection?

I remember now that 28 days after giving that guy head, I felt odd... malaise, bad gas, ferocious appetite, headache, and low fever that was on and off for two weeks.

Does HIV infection usually cause false negative syphilis test results?

This is driving me up the wall.  I always thought that oral sex was basically safe sex, especially if there was no ejaculation or precum. 

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2010, 11:54:06 pm »
How early in the transmission of HIV does Neuropathy happen?  When it happens, is one usually sick it is a result of HIV infection?

I remember now that 28 days after giving that guy head, I felt odd... malaise, bad gas, ferocious appetite, headache, and low fever that was on and off for two weeks.

Does HIV infection usually cause false negative syphilis test results?

This is driving me up the wall.  I always thought that oral sex was basically safe sex, especially if there was no ejaculation or precum. 

Your Answers in order:

A) In the rare cases of PN without meds, it is usually years after infection, sometimes decades.

B) HIV infection does not cause false negative syphilis tests.

And oral sex IS basically safer sex insofar as HIV is concerned. The only zero risk scientifically speaking is solo masturbation. Oral sex is considered low to theoretical risk, as is has yet to be documented in any study that did not rely on unreliable patient report after the fact.

If it is driving you up the wall, I suggest you refrain from the activity until you have seen a professional counselor about your fear of HIV.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2010, 06:00:15 am »
amazon,

You don't seem to get it that we cannot diagnose symptoms here. Knock it off already and go see a doctor - someone who CAN diagnose you.

If you cannot bring yourself to believe us when we tell you that you didn't have a risk, go test and collect your negative result, which is exactly what you'll get unless you've been having unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse you've neglected to tell us about. From what you've written, this incident must have happened more than three months ago, so your test will be conclusive regarding the incident you're obsessing over.

In the meantime, I'm giving you a 28 day time out. Do not attempt to create a new account to get around your time out because if you do, you will be permanently banned.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline amazon12

« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2011, 12:54:35 pm »
I have to admit, that ban put a hurting on me.  Thanks for slapping some sense into me.

I have had a little more time to research and learn more about HIV transmission and peripheral neuropathy.  I wish information regarding the two were a little more conclusive as opposed to having several different opinions and thoughts.

In a park, I gave a guy head with a canker sore in my mouth, it was no longer painful and I stopped and there was no ejaculate.  In addition to that, I received a blow job.  It’s just a trivial situation and as a result of my own research, I was under the assumption that regarding HIV, oral sex basically presented no risk.  Four weeks later, after reading that peripheral neuropathy could happen in ARS, I experienced a week of interesting symptoms.  Dizziness, nauseated, headache here and there… all this lasted for about a week and then just things were returning to normal, I felt the prickling in the soles of my feet… I took it as a sure sign of infection.

Since then, the prickling has turned to a burning feeling that occurs in my feet, hands, thigh, upper back, arms and sometimes my lips.   I have read in several places and archives that several individuals experience PN during the early stages of their infection.  There is no CD4 or viral load association with it and that what I’ve described is a lot like mono-neuritis multiplex… where parasthesias occur in multiple areas of the body.  I have searched and searched for other indicative causes of PN that might occur at the age of 24 and I there isn’t anything. Nothing.  In addition to that, I had an oral ulcer (not a canker sore) above my tonsil that was covered in a white film that lasted for about 3-4 weeks, I thought for sure was syphilis.  I was tested for syphilis and the test was negative.  I have noticed that if I eat healthier and take a multi-vitamin, the PN is either non-existent or isn’t as bothersome. 

I haven’t tested because I am in the middle of graduate school studies and I am terrified that knowing might cause me to flunk my studies and jeopardize my thesis.  I have contemplated a home test.  I’m a little overwhelmed with it and want to believe everyone here when they say that PN happens in late stage HIV or as a result of older medication forms… But even here, at aidsmed, individuals have stated in the “I tested positive” section that their PN started very, very early.  I don’t know what I am asking or saying… just ranting with my thoughts in hopes for encouragement.  Thanks in advance.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2011, 01:06:49 pm »
If i were you, and insisted on taking HIV advice from reading the experiences of other members, I certainly would NOT be targeting those recently infected, who often know little, if anything, about their virus.

You will note that the people with a little more experience often ask newer members "Have you been diagnosed by a doctor?" Nine times out of ten, the answer is "No." Like yourself, they have searched the web for HIV related conditions that match their perceived afflictions.

HIV is, I admit, a steep learning curve for the newly diagnosed. Which is why I would not confuse any infected person with an expert on HIV. It seriously takes at least a year to even wrap a person's head around the topic from a personal standpoint, and probably much longer to be of real service to others.

In your case, I do not think an  HIV test is warranted. You probably knew I was going to say that, as you are reporting the EXACT SAME THING that you posted right before your last time-out.

I am sorry you are upset, but I do not think you have actually listened to a thing that has been told you on these forums, as illustrated by your insistence not only on the same no-risk activities, but the same not-possible Opportunistic Infection.

Welcome Thread

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2011, 01:43:43 pm »
You have time to be repeatedly have sex in various venues that lead you to worrying about STDs but you don't have time to get to a doctor to have your symptoms diagnosed.

I suggest you reconsider your priorities about your health. Coming here anxiously after each sexual incident is not going to get you the answers you need about your health.  Only a doctor can properly diagnose your symptoms.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #28 on: January 13, 2011, 02:05:19 pm »
Amazon,

I will say it once more; if you cannot bring yourself to believe us that you did not have a risk, then go test and get it over with.

We will not allow you to continue to come here with your insistence that you have PN (have you actually been diagnosed with PN?) and that you must have hiv - without a test result to back your claims up.

If you do keep coming here with more of the same, you WILL be given a second, 56 day time out.

PLEASE CONSIDER YOURSELF WARNED!!!

Do not post again unless it's to report back on your inevitable negative result.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.