Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:37:14 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773294
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 665
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 623
Total: 623

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Guilty Verdict - Bias Intimidation  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Buckmark

• Would you like to tie me up with your ties, Ty?
    • Henry's Home Page
Guilty Verdict - Bias Intimidation
« on: March 16, 2012, 02:10:06 pm »
The Rutgers University student accused of spying on and intimidating his roommate because he was gay has been found guilty of both invasion of privacy, and bias intimidation. 

http://www.cnn.com/2012/03/16/justice/new-jersey-rutgers-trial/index.html

The obviously won't bring back the gay student who took his life by jumping off the George Washington bridge.  But I hope it sends a strong message to others.

"Life in Lubbock, Texas, taught me two things:
     One is that God loves you and you're going to burn in hell.
     The other is that sex is the most awful, filthy thing on earth and you should save it for someone you love."
- Butch Hancock, Musician, The Flatlanders

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
Re: Guilty Verdict - Bias Intimidation
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2012, 04:45:11 pm »
I read this story on the NYT and I was frustrated with the number of comments there were oblivious to what it might be like growing up gay.  Comments are limited, but here's what I said:

Joe Montreal

As tragic as this case appears, I submit that you cannot understand what it means to be gay in America, unless you have lived though it. I'm a 58 yo gay man, who grew up in Detroit surrounded by societal pressures, my parents and my church telling me how "unnatural" I must be, because I am a homosexual.

Try and imagine how to navigate such a world, particularly through high school, with virtually no support from any of the most powerful influences in your life. How would you reconcile what you are told with how you feel, knowing that being gay is simply another facet of who you are? How can anyone ask you to be anything different from what you are, because they are uneasy with what they "believe" you are?

The idea of "hate the sin, love the sinner" is impossible, because you cannot separate the components, however the real issue is you have no right to tell anyone how to live. I have been gay bashed, spit on and called more names that I can recall, simply because I was born gay. Until people understand that what we say and do, can have enormous consequences on others, especially those we hold to be different, it will continue to be a very difficult for far too many gay children and teens growing up in America.

Every time you refuse to stand against bigotry and intolerance, you become part of the problem. Change comes one person at a time. If not now? When? Our gay youth, need adults in all aspects of life to be telling them they are fine, just the way they are.

Joe

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 03:02:58 am »
I suppose I should start by saying I haven't followed this case in great detail.  From what I do know, it seems like a case of an immature guy doing something stupid.  At that age, I remember a time when friends and I listened outside the door of another friend having sex---all with the immature giggles, etc, etc.  And, then telling others of what we heard.  This seems like what happened in this case.  The fact that it was gay sex made it more interesting, but it very well could have happened to a straight roommate banging a girl.  If the girl was very freaky in bed, for example, that would have lead to more intrigue.

He did not cause this guy to commit suicide.  He was obviously mentally unstable to begin.  From all that I gathered, all of the fellow students testified that the defendant never made homophobic remarks, or sought out to intentionally harm this guy, because of his sexuality.  It appears to be an immature decision.  He could now serve up to 10 years for something I'm sure many have done--either via webcam, a hole in the wall, or through a cracked bedroom door.  I know "slippery slopes" are often overused, but I'm concerned by the slippery slope.  And, I think hate crime laws should be reserved for the clear and serious crimes against a particular group.  I would hate for my son or daughter to serve prison time for immature behavior that wasn't hate based.  I mean, where does this go?  If a straight person posts that someone they know often frequents gay bars, is that Bias Intimidation?  Reporting you saw someone having gay sex at the adult bookstore?  What if you didn't use a webcam, but invited people to come to the adult bookstore to see the guy in action?  If they snap a pic of two guys making out in their shared living space and post that so and so is into dudes, is that Bias Intimidation?

I do not agree with the verdict.  If someone has more knowledge about the case that sheds light on a history of anti-gay views or actions, please advise.     

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 05:01:23 am »
He didn't show remorse and he should have taken the plea bargain.

Sometimes you can do something stupid that unfortunately is exactly also something with grave consequences which can't be avoided.   The act was careless and young and mean. It somehow steamrolled into both a suicide and a very serious legal charge so there was no going back to plead "just youthful stupidity."  Just not possible.

Crappy lawyer, and Ravi isn't as smart as he would like to be or as kind as he needs to be.
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.