Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:27:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 379
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 360
Total: 362

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: worried over encounter  (Read 7915 times)

Offline stiilshaken

worried over encounter
« on: March 07, 2007, 12:49:18 pm »
I just got back from being tested after 6, 10 and 14 weeks - negative. I also tested for syphilis and gonnarhea and chlamydia at local health dept - negative. I had an encounter with another male who performed rimming on me and then I was the receptive partner for anal sex with condom used from start to finish no breaks in the condom and he ejaculated outside of me. My common sense told me I was OK and this was safe but I have seen some conflicting information on the web about these activities and some conflicting and maybe some misinformation from the CDC hotline ( 6 month window period) and the counselor regarding transmission. So I been freaked for a pretty long time, I am married and now feel terrible about the whole thing. The guy I was with did not know his status, also married but was a stranger. I was worried about fluid on the condom and was told rimming is not safe. So, whats the real deal on my risk?  Secondly, I do not want to be nervous about having sex with my wife and some sights had a six month window period. I took the orasure hiv1/2 test with the oral swab each time. He told me I was negative and not to come back, 3 months is good with that test it is very accurate. Please set me straight. Why the conflict in window period?
Am I safe to have sex with my wife? I promised myself i will no longer worry or surf the net if you guys say all is well...i may just have a drink to celebrate. Thanks

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
Re: worried over encounter
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 01:09:25 pm »
The quick answer is you are HIV negative. Period. End of story.

Condoms provide very effective protection. They do the job whether intercourse is vaginal or anal.

There's absolutely no reason based in HIV science for you to doubt the validity of your negative test result.

The CDC has for quite some time recommended 13 weeks as a reliable testing point except in situations involving either IV drug use or when someone has a severely depleted immune system such as during treatment for cancer. Neither of those qualifications apply to you.

You can have safely have unprotected intercourse with your wife.

It seems to me your concerns are really about head stuff -- discomfort with having strayed and specifically with another man. In any case, whether I am right about that or not, HIV is not an issue for you. Get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline stiilshaken

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 01:26:22 pm »
Thank you for your quick reply. My heart was still pounding as I wrote my story, probably for the reasons you mentioned regarding msm. It's tough to have those scary thoughts with no one to tell about it, and the web is usually not a good place to go, except in this case I feel much better. It's time to put away this sexual addiction stuff and just be happy nothing went wrong. It's good to have a clean slate. I think there are differences in what is theoretical risk vs what is reality and special thanks for expaining the 3 vs 6 month caveat. Even though you said I had no risk either, I'm still glad I tested out. Thanks alot  for your reassurance and best of luck and health to you Sir. I will begin my celebration!

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2007, 01:39:04 pm »
Being isolated with that stuff running around in your head is its own kind of living hell. So I'm glad you benefited from the support we can offer here.

Forgive yourself for being a dawg like all the rest of us guys. The most loving thing you can do for all concerned is to get on with your life. No kidding.

Cheers,
Andy Velez

Offline stiilshaken

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2007, 02:53:58 pm »
hi ,i did not want my email address to show . what do I do?  the box is checked..ty

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2007, 02:59:02 pm »
You can always see your own email address in your profile, no one else can see it.

Offline stiilshaken

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2007, 03:01:18 pm »
thanks rod, sorry bout that!

Offline stiilshaken

syphilis question
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2008, 05:38:18 pm »
I recently gave a guy a blow job using protection. I was careful to roll the condom down all the way and did not see anything unusual.
However, when he was semi erect I went down deep and may have made skin to skin contact with his groin area.

It was fun but I had some remorse about it. My concern is, I  had read that condoms are not as effective at protecting you from syphilis and that this STD is becoming more and more common.  Do you think this is something to be concerned about? I may be just paranoid, but I respect your opinions. On that same subject, is it ok to kiss or give or get a handjob regarding syphilis?

Offline RapidRod

Re: syphilis question
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2008, 05:40:31 pm »
Keep all your questions and concerns in your orginal thread. Your question will not be answered until you put it in your orginal thread.

Offline stiilshaken

Re: syphilis question
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2008, 05:47:20 pm »
Rod, it's been over a year and wanted to start a new topic..what do I do just hit reply?

thanks

Offline stiilshaken

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2008, 06:01:16 pm »
I recently gave a guy a blow job using protection. I was careful to roll the condom all the way down and did not see anything unusual.
however, when he was semi-erect I went down deep and may have made skin to skin contact.

My concern is, I had read that condoms do not protect  you as well regarding syphilis for this very reason. I had read ths STD is on the rise, so I wanted to know what you think. I may be paranoid, but i respect and trust your opinions. On that same subject, is it safe to get or give a handjob or kiss regarding syphilis. Sorry I posted wrong before.

Was this a safe encounter?

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 06:09:42 pm »
Please follow our rules and keep all of your entries in this same thread. I've merged your threads.

This is an HIV-specific website. We don't discuss other STDs. Other STDs are much easier to acquire than HIV, so what we do say is that anyone who's sexually active ought to regularly have a full STD panel done. That means at least annually.

As far as risk in relation to giving a blowjob, there is much more evidence to support that it's not risk than the other way around. Yes, from time to time we hear of someone who insists their only risk was giving head to some guy. But those cases simply don't hold up under scientific scrutiny. Certainly if you have an open oral sore in your mouth from surgery or poor oral care it seems wise to not be giving head or at least not unprotected.

But the stronger evidence against risk is well supported by the longterm studies of sero-discordant couples, both gay and straight. Over extended periods of time with lots of mutual unprotected oral and only protected vaginal/anal intercourse, not one sero-negative partner has become infected.

So you have to choose your own comfort zone about this issue. Nothing you have reported suggests risk for HIV to me.

Andy Velez

Offline stiilshaken

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2008, 06:17:45 pm »
I suppose I can be confusing. The quick question should have been do condoms protect you from other STDS, like syphilis, as well, HIV?

I promose not to bother you guys with another follow up

Peace

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2008, 07:46:49 pm »
Syphilis is a complicated organism with complex modes of transmission. As Andy notes we're an HIV site so an in depth discussion about syphilis of the kind you seek is beyond the scope of what we do here.

I suggest you contact your local sexual health service and seek advice from them.

Oh, and by the way:

I promose not to bother you guys with another follow up

You will be held to that promise.

MtD

Offline stiilshaken

« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2009, 12:01:58 am »
I recently had an encounter with another male and we engaged in protected oral and he fingered me. I come to find out he was into barebacking. I wanted to know if I need to be tested and if there was an risks, including HIV in being fingered analy. He was not into using the condoms so I kind of cut our meeting short, I'm just trying to be extra safe and feel worried. He was not bleeding but I could not tell if he had any small cuts or scrapes on his fingers. I also dont think there was any precum or saliva on his finger.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2009, 12:24:30 am »
At no time were you at risk of contracting HIV from fingering.

Offline stiilshaken

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2009, 12:51:21 am »
Thank you Rod, appreciated.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: October 22, 2009, 08:12:23 am »
The only confirmed risks for sexual transmission of HIV are unprotected vaginal and anal intercourse. Other sexual activities are risky theoretically but experience and time have proven that sexual risk is about unprotected intercourse. Use condoms all the time for those activities and you will be well protected.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline stiilshaken

« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2009, 03:44:43 pm »
Hi...I had given oral to another male and received. He did not come in my mouth nor did I notice any precum. I did come in his and just wanted reassurance this is a safe activity re:HIV. Do I need to test or get pep ?

Offline stiilshaken

« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2009, 04:31:49 pm »
I should have just reread the answers you already gave me.

Sorry bout that, I am all good

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.