Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:20:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 334
Total: 335

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Is it safe to take Vitamin C 500mg capsules...?  (Read 16510 times)

Offline maddeuwch

• Po callaf y dyn,anamlaf ei eiriau.
Is it safe to take Vitamin C 500mg capsules...?
« on: September 16, 2011, 07:33:07 am »
I keep getting colds and chest infections...i'm eating oranges etc for vit c,but thought it might be worth necking a capsule every day for a boost....

also,i'm prone to getting cold sores (herpes) on my lips...i use cream,but would it be worth taking an aciclovir pill every day to keep them at bay?

cheers for any help...!
Po callaf y dyn,anamlaf ei eiriau...(i need to remember that sometimes)!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: Is it safe to take Vitamin C 500mg capsules...?
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2011, 08:02:36 am »
Hi Madd. That amount of vitamin C won't do you any harm.

If you're getting a lot of herpes outbreaks, it's definitely worth it to take acyclovir prophylaxis. It's available as a generic, so it's very cheap too and it's rare to get side-effects from it. I take acyclovir and wild horses couldn't drag me away from taking it. Talk to your doctor about getting a prescription.
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline maddeuwch

« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2011, 08:06:47 am »
cheers for that Ann.....i try to keep pill popping to a minimum,but cold sores drive me nuts and was hoping a daily aciclovir tab wouldn't be a problem :)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2011, 09:16:27 am »
cheers for that Ann.....i try to keep pill popping to a minimum,but cold sores drive me nuts and was hoping a daily aciclovir tab wouldn't be a problem :)

You're welcome.

The standard prophylaxis dose is 400mgs, twice a day. I got away with taking 400mgs once a day for several years, but now I have to take the standard dose because I started getting breakthroughs. :-\

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline maddeuwch

« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2011, 10:21:24 am »
that's too bad...my skin has become really sensitive either since i was infected or since i started taking meds....kissing anyone with any hint of facial hair brings me out in impetigo now and i never had that problem before.... :D

does this mean that you're finally,after all these years,on hiv medication?!!!!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2011, 10:39:00 am »
No Madd, I only take acyclovir for the herpes and dihydrocodeine (off-label, immodium disagrees with my stomach) for hiv-related diarrhea. I thought I was going to start at the beginning of the year, but my CD4 went from a couple results in the 300s back up to over 500 and my percent is in the upper 20s. The Liverpool NHS trust discourages doctors from starting anyone on meds when they have counts over 500. That makes over 14 years med free for me. I do expect to be starting in the next year or so.

Make sure you talk to your doctor about the acyclovir. Herpes is no fun no matter where you get it (I get the nether-regions variety) and when you take acyclovir, that's one less virus your body has to constantly fight to suppress.

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline maddeuwch

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 11:09:41 am »
14 years...that's fantastic...you must be doing something right eh ;D

must be the island air....long may it continue ;)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 11:12:01 am »
14 years...that's fantastic...you must be doing something right eh ;D

must be the island air....long may it continue ;)

LOL thanks, I think it's probably more the combination of the Tuesday Night Pool League and whiskey. ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 03:31:36 pm »
LOL thanks, I think it's probably more the combination of the Tuesday Night Pool League and whiskey. ;D

Scotch whiskey, I find, is the most therapeutic.

Hey Madd,

The vitamin C is not a bad idea. It is one of those that if the body gets too much, it will just eilimiate it via diarrhea.

Are you taking a mulitvitamin as well? Most docs I have talked to think it is a good idea.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline maddeuwch

« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 04:51:23 pm »
i think i'll just take one every other day....don't want the shites again too much...

as for multivitamins,my gp thinks it's not such a good idea because i'm a smoker....some sort of link with cancer apparently...

who knows though eh....docs opinions vary so much it could make your head spin sometimes.... :)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2011, 06:25:58 am »

as for multivitamins,my gp thinks it's not such a good idea because i'm a smoker....some sort of link with cancer apparently...

That's a new one on me, and I'm a smoker too. Madd, would you be so kind as to quiz your doctor about this next time you see him (studies?) and let us know? Thanks! :-*

Scotch whiskey, I find, is the most therapeutic.

Absolutely! I used to be a bourbon drinker in my youth, but prefer scotch now that I'm older and more discerning. ;D

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline BM

« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2011, 07:41:39 am »
I can definitely back up what Ann is saying when it comes to the wonder drug Acyclovir. The tablets can take the edge off established herpes outbreaks, and this is how my outbreaks were initially treated but it is much better to stop them happening in the first place. I've been taking 400mg morning and night for quite a while now and haven't had a single outbreak in that time.

There is some research that suggests maintaining good vitamin D levels can help in preventing chest infections (although this is far from conclusive). Where I live we get virtually no vitamin D-producing levels of sun. After being diagnosed with vitamin D deficiency in 2009, I started taking 5000 IU vitamin D every day. I haven't had a chest infection or cold since. However, I also started using alcohol hand gel when out and about at the same time (during the bird flu scare), so my lack of colds might be due to better hand hygiene rather than any benefit of vitamin D though wouldn't hurt to try it!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2011, 07:52:39 am »
I agree that hand-washing is probably the best weapon in the fight against colds and flu. I also carry antibacterial hand gel with me, particularly when I know there is a bug going around where I live.

I always use it after grocery shopping, for example, because if you watch people when they're pushing their carts around, you'll see them coughing and sneezing and swiping their noses with their hands and then grabbing the handle on the cart. Ew. I think the handle on a shopping cart must be one of the germiest things you can touch when out in public.

Oh, and another thing - if you're in a situation where you can't wash your hands or forgot your hand gel, it's important to keep your hands off your face, particularly your eyes. That's how you get the bugs going around.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 07:55:12 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline BM

« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 07:02:34 pm »
I have a cold!  :D

Offline muscledoug

« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 09:09:32 pm »
yes...vitamin C is water soluble, along with the B vitamins. If your body has more than it needs you get "vitamin pee" which is why your urine turns bright yellow and has a strong odor after taking it. I take 500mg every day. it's better absorbed if you take it with food.  ;D

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.