Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 12:28:29 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772783
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 244
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 205
Total: 206

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: One Single Hiv AB Test  (Read 13325 times)

Offline eightball

One Single Hiv AB Test
« on: January 15, 2009, 09:29:00 pm »
Hi everyone.  I have an ongoing concern.  I had a one time unprotected sex with a hot hiv positive guy.  He was the insertive one.  I freaked out after and could not believe my compulsiveness and him for not stopping it, although I know it was my fault for not being in control of my life and health.  Being afraid and thinking for sure I had gotten the virus, I put testing way off.  After about 7 months I finally bit the bullet and got tested with a one single Hiv AB blood test (EIA).  Remarkably it came back negative.  I was so relieved and happy I vowed to start new and go on with my life.  Well, that never happened either.  I am still doubting my test result because it was only one single test and how can it be accurate when I had unprotected sex with a known Hiv positive man.  If I ever do get tested again it will be for awhile while I work up the courage.  I have not been at any other risks since this unprotected encounter.  Is this one single blood test enough since it was after 6 months?  Or do I need a second test to confirm it?  Thanks so much.  You guys rock.

Eightball

Offline RapidRod

Re: One Single Hiv AB Test
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2009, 01:05:27 am »
You are conclusively negative.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2009, 05:50:08 am »
eight,

The window period for hiv testing is three months, even when the person you were involved with is known to be hiv positive.

In fact, the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six WEEKS.

You ARE conclusively hiv negative.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL sexually transmitted infections together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with an STI.

Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through all three condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

ALTHOUGH YOU DO NOT NEED FURTHER TESTING OVER THIS SEVEN-MONTH-OLD INCIDENT, anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

You really need to wise up and start using condoms. If you push your luck, you'll end up posting in the I Just Tested Poz forum. I don't want to see you there.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline eightball

Confused About HIV Testing and Reliability
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2009, 03:25:28 pm »
I have read that if I was to be tested in So. Africa, for example, for HIV AB and the test showed 2 bands I would be considered positive, yet here in the states you have to have four bands to be considered positive.  How can this be.  Isn't their a universal standard?  Can you really be negative if your test in So. Africa would say you are positive?  Yikes, help please, can someone explalin this or is it over all our heads.  Thanks. ???

Offline RapidRod

Re: Confused About HIV Testing and Reliability
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2009, 04:11:16 pm »
Your questions will not be answered until you return to your original thread.

Take the time to read the posting guidelines that are found in the "Welcome" thread.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2009, 06:12:56 pm »
8Ball, you are driving yourself crazy, all to no good purpose and with no basis in HIV science.

The bottom line is that you have reliably tested negative. Period. End of story.

Stop with all of these meaningless details.

And also don't start anymore new threads. I've merged your two into this one and keep all entries here as is requested in our rules. 

You're HIV negative. That's it. Now get on with your life and make sure you protect yourself properly in the future by only having intercourse with condoms being used.
Andy Velez

Offline eightball

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2009, 02:19:22 am »
I have read the guidelines on testing and transmission in the welcome forum.  It says that an HIV test is never 100% reliable.  How then is my result or anyone else's conclusive.  Sorry for this, I am going on with my life, I'm just curious and like to read on this site.  Thanks.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 06:50:04 am »
Reread it. That is not what it says.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 08:13:42 am »
Taken at the correct time, a negative HIV test result is reliable 99.9%. As with many other things in life and in science we know that nothing is absolutely reliable. Except ultimately death for all of us.

You are HIV negative. Period. So lay off of indulging in nitpicking about this issue and get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline eightball

Testing
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 04:02:45 pm »
In HIV ab testing, what does o.d. ratio <1.00 mean? 

Offline RapidRod

Re: Testing
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 05:19:21 pm »
Return to your original post where you should keep all your questions and concerns.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 05:29:00 pm »
Listen, you need to stop starting new threads. I've merged your latest one with your previous ones. You've been told this before. It's a simple rule to follow.

You're HIV negative. You need to give up obsessing about test details and get on with your life.

Really.
Andy Velez

Offline eightball

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 05:39:04 pm »
Thank you Andy.  I feel silly that I could not find my original post.  Didn't try hard enough I guess.  You saying that I am negative, I guess that's what <1.00 means in the ratio.  Thanks again.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 05:45:48 pm »
That's right. And it really is time for you give it up and get on with your life.
Andy Velez

Offline eightball

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2009, 01:44:50 am »
I enjoy reading on this forum, it is very informative.  I now have a question about HIV testing.  I asked this question today at my Doctor's office visit, he is a general practioner, and he did not know the answer to this question and said I would have to ask someone more knowledgeable about HIV testing.  Ay, yi, yi, amigos!  So that is why I am here. 

My question is, the HIV ab test I had was an EIA.  I now see that a new test is being used for HIV ab testing called the IMCA HIV ab test.  I know these two tests are antibody tests.  But is the IMCA more superior because it's new?  Is the EIA and the IMCA ab tests equally accurate?  I just want to be edjucated and up to date on HIV and testing, if you knew the crowd I hung out with you would understand.  Thanks in advance.

Warmly,

Eightball

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2009, 06:29:26 am »
Eight,

The tests are equally as accurate.

You don't have hiv. Make sure you use condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse with ANYONE and you will continue to be hiv negative. It really is that simple.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline eightball

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2009, 07:07:17 pm »
Thank you Ann, I honestly love you, Andy and RapidRod. 

All the best.

Eightball :-*

Offline eightball

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 04:56:37 am »
Hi.  I  just want to know what my risks are for performing oral sex on men of unknown status.  I am comfortable with this being my only choice of sex.  Thank you for any insight.  Eightball.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 06:43:44 am »
eight,

The risk for giving blowjobs is theoretical. The only proven sexual risks are unprotected anal or vaginal intercourse. Getting a blowjob is absolutely NOT a risk.

Where giving oral is concerned, you'd be wise to not do it if you have a very fresh, gaping wound in your mouth (and why would you do it then anyway, it would hurt!) or if you have very, very poor oral health. (meth mouth, anyone?) Use your common sense where the state of your mouth is concerned and you'll be fine.

And always remember to have regular sexual health check-ups - and use condoms when having intercourse. Make sure you get a COMPLETE sexual health check up. It is quite possible to get STIs like gonorrhea in your mouth when giving oral. Some of the more easily transmitted STIs can be present with NO symptoms, so getting checked regularly is important. At LEAST annually, more often if you're very active.

Protect your negative hiv status, use condoms for intercourse.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline eightball

« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2009, 02:27:21 am »
Hey Ann and guys, have you ever heard of a scientist named Rebecca V. Culshaw?  She wrote a book called "I  Quit HIV" and my friend who is a gay male bought it at a bookstore.  The book is very controversial about the existence of HIV/AIDS and the antibody tests, etc.  Just would like to know your insights on this, anything to make sense on this.  Thanks.  Eightball.

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2009, 05:56:23 am »
It's a denialist. You came to the wrong website to bring up that discussion.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2009, 06:19:27 am »
eight,

Hiv negative people who subscribe to the denialists' theories usually end up hiv positive - because according to the denialist, you don't have to worry about hiv and you don't have to use condoms.

Hiv positive people who subscribe to the denialists' theories usually end up dead - or near dead in hospital, where they miraculously change their mind about hiv. End of story. There are very, very few hiv positive denialists who have been around for more than a few years - they all end up dead because they refuse to treat their hiv infection. Stupid, eh? That's why we don't entertain hiv denialists or their theories on this website.

You'd be wise to let your mate know that he's reading a very dangerous book. Denialist twist stats, use old, outdated research, and generally lie and make things up. If he starts to buy into their crackpot theories, I suggest you send him to aidstruth.org and let him read just how asinine these people are.

End of discussion where denialists are concerned.

Ann

edited to add link
« Last Edit: April 20, 2009, 06:29:51 am by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline eightball

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2009, 04:31:10 pm »
Thank you Ann and Rapid Rod.  I am sorry for offending anyone on here but couldn't think of anyone more to trust than you guys.  I am getting on it right away to tell my friend about aidstruth.org.  He is young and needs to know the truth and not get caught up in some fantasy.  So what you are saying is she is another denialist.  People like that need to be stopped because there are naive and desperate people out there about Hiv.  Eightball.   :-[

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2009, 05:04:02 pm »
It's good to know you will be alerting your friend about the denialist craptrap. We know of all-too-many who fell into it and paid with their lives.

Cheers.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2009, 05:42:50 pm »
eight,

You didn't offend anyone. I'd rather have the opportunity to set a naive person right about the denialists than not have the opportunity, so no worries.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline eightball

« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2009, 05:52:03 pm »
I am really, really, sorry to be bothering you guys again.  But I am young and naive about HIV for the most part.  Please, please don't get mad at me.  This is my last time asking a question I promise, then I will lay it to rest.  Honestly.  I started this post mentioning my one time unprotected encounter with an hiv pos person and then 7 months later had an hiv ab eia test that came back neg.  Well I still haven't been at any other risks since my test except brief oral.  I am just learning about HIV 2 and the rare subtypes like O that the tests sometimes miss.  I have my report from Labcorp sent to me that I found yesterday while searching in my drawers for it.  It says exactly HIV-1 abs EIA.  It is not a HIV 1/2 test, only HIV 1.  This test was done in 2007.  I have not been with anyone from sub Africa but the guy I was with was a traveler that's been to Thailand and other countries. 

Please can you tell me how good the HIV 1 test I had in 2007 was at picking up type 2 and o strands.  Thank you so much, I honestly appreciate any help on this so I can lay it to rest.  Eightball

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2009, 06:51:53 pm »
Your test is conclusive.

Offline eightball

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2009, 09:24:21 pm »
Thanks RR.  Best regards.

Eightball 8)

Offline eightball

About Antibody Testing
« Reply #28 on: July 28, 2009, 02:44:18 am »
Hi again Andy, Anne, RR.  I know that I've promised to not ask anymore questions after my last one, but here I am.  Sorry for this.  I didn't think I would be here again but it is hard not to come back and read on here after a while.   I was curious about an HIV testing question and you guys are the best.  It is not anything to do with a personal worry or HIV fear. 

I was wanting to know if the antibody test is good for someone who has had a risk or possible exposure several years ago, like 3 years ago or even close to 10.  Would the antibody test still be reliable?  Or is there a better test?   What I really want to know is are the antibodies to HIV always active for life and a person who is positive will always test positive on the HIV antibody test, or after sometime do the antibodies become inactive?  Thank you once again for educating me on this subject of testing and HIV.

Eightball :-[

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2009, 06:55:09 am »
eight,

Once a person develops hiv antibodies, they will always have hiv antibodies and test positive.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.