Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 03:47:43 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66329
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 203
Total: 203

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Pet Shop Boys to be given lifetime achievement at major uk music awards 2009  (Read 13017 times)

Offline NLEWLAD

• Anything is possible, ANYTHING
The Pet Shop Boys are to be awarded the biggest uk music award  - the lifetime achievement award at the 2009 brits awards

The pet shop boys are Gay,  and have written songs about hiv,   chris lowe had been acused of having hiv but has always denied it  (its up to the person to admit and i totally agree to deny if its false)

From the press statement released today by the BPI:
The UK’s recorded music association, The BPI, today unveiled the recipient of the prestigious Outstanding Contribution to Music Award. Pioneering British Dance duo, Pet Shop Boys, will be awarded with the revered trophy at The BRIT Awards with MasterCard 2009 on Wednesday 18 February.
A packed audience at Earls Court plus millions of viewers watching live on ITV1 will witness an iconic performance from the Pet Shop Boys when they take to The BRITs stage.
Ged Doherty, Chairman of The BRITs Committee said, “Since their first BRIT Award over 20 years ago, Neil and Chris have produced a fantastic body of work with songs that truly were the soundtrack to a whole generation’s lives. The Pet Shop Boys have since become one of the most influential groups of the modern era and are deserving recipients of the award.” era and are deserving recipients of the award.”
Pet Shop Boys Neil Tennant and Chris Lowe have sold 50 million records since they signed to Parlophone in 1985 with four No 1 singles, 22 top 10 hits and a staggering 39 top 30 singles making them one of the most successful pop duos ever.
This is a welcome return to The BRITs for the Pet Shop Boys who were awarded their first BRIT in 1987 winning Best British Single for ‘West End Girls’. The duo went on to pick up the coveted Best British Group Award in 1988 and performed their hit single 'Go West' with the accompaniment of a 200 piece Welsh male choir in 1994 while being lowered onto the stage by two huge cranes.
Pet Shop Boys will receive the prestigious award, a gift from the Council of the BPI, and perform live at The BRITs 2009 with MasterCard. Previous recipients of the Outstanding Contribution To Music Award include Paul McCartney, Oasis, U2, Paul Weller, Tom Jones, Sting, David Bowie, Eurythmics, The Beatles and The Who.

Simon - Location Manchester England
Negative test 10/11/07
Tested poz 28/12/07
Confirmed WB 07/01/08
Sero-converted Late December 07

Date        CD4            %              VL

7/01/08   1273 :)      N/A       100,232
24/01/08   755 :(      42%         4,010
13/2/08     922 :)      45%       78,234
09/04/08   652 :(      38%       36,604
05/05/08   936 :)      39%       38,952
07/07/08   844 :)      34%       24,000
12/11/08   753 :(      31%       45,600
no meds yet:)

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
It's a sin
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
I'm a big fan and I'm glad they are being recognized.

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03

That's great !  I am also a big fan. I think I have everything they've ever done !! Wonderful ! 8)

Ray  :)
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
from 1987-1991, Randy and I were the "other" Pet Shop Boys running our little pop-n-pop pet store in Ohio, "It's Reigning Pets" (a play on Prince's Purple Rain and our first spaniel Apollonia's Purple Reign). The Pet Shop Boys' music was the soundtrack of our life together.  ;D

Along with some of my other favs (Prince, Madonna, Nine Inch Nails, and the Smashing Pumpkins), I think I probably have everything from their catalog too. It's good to hear that they are being recognized and honored with this award.

mikie
(who has often wondered through the years, "what have I, what have I, what have I done to deserve this?" LOL)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline PeteNYNJ

• When life gives you AIDS...make LemonAIDS!
    • Dance for Me, Puppets
I think The Pet Shop Boys are two of the most amazing writers in Pop Music.  Being Boring is a personally fave and I think of the best songs ever written. 

Offline NLEWLAD

• Anything is possible, ANYTHING
from 1987-1991, Randy and I were the "other" Pet Shop Boys running our little pop-n-pop pet store in Ohio, "It's Reigning Pets" (a play on Prince's Purple Rain and our first spaniel Apollonia's Purple Reign). The Pet Shop Boys' music was the soundtrack of our life together.  ;D

Along with some of my other favs (Prince, Madonna, Nine Inch Nails, and the Smashing Pumpkins), I think I probably have everything from their catalog too. It's good to hear that they are being recognized and honored with this award.

mikie
(who has often wondered through the years, "what have I, what have I, what have I done to deserve this?" LOL)

i suppose i should feel lucky (and i do)  i i have seen the psb 6 times live  -  the pet shop boys are amazing live and are totally gay,   the best product to have come out of uk music since the beatles rolling stones genesis

the pet shop boys are ORIGINAL AND TOTALY  BRILLIANT

i would like to chat to any usa  pet shop boys fans   my email is     simon.percy@hotmail.co.uk
Simon - Location Manchester England
Negative test 10/11/07
Tested poz 28/12/07
Confirmed WB 07/01/08
Sero-converted Late December 07

Date        CD4            %              VL

7/01/08   1273 :)      N/A       100,232
24/01/08   755 :(      42%         4,010
13/2/08     922 :)      45%       78,234
09/04/08   652 :(      38%       36,604
05/05/08   936 :)      39%       38,952
07/07/08   844 :)      34%       24,000
12/11/08   753 :(      31%       45,600
no meds yet:)

Offline J.R.E.

:) Popped one of their CD's into the car stereo today. Still like what they did with this one :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2pNF_IXfyI

Ray 8)

Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
the old man in the backseat always freaked me out (stop the car! I'm getting out. You are no longer here!), even after I watched the movie this came from; though I did find his comments rather cool in an enigmatic way: "i'm going there; but I like it here, wherever it is."

so this started a big ol' waste of my time surfing youtube PSB vids  :D, and I came across this spoof :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCQUDIzK-oo
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline AndyArrow

I do love their stuff -- and still want to see Battleship Potemkin.  I wonder does is stand up to Metropolis?!  Either way ... way to go boys  :D
It is not the arrival that matters.  It is the journey along the way. -- Michel Montaigne

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
I think The Pet Shop Boys are two of the most amazing writers in Pop Music.  Being Boring is a personally fave and I think of the best songs ever written. 

As the 20th anniversary of the release of Pet Shop Boys' immortal Being Boring approaches this fall, the Guardian UK's music blogger calls it the greatest pop single of all time.

LINK:

http://joemygod.blogspot.com/2010/08/twenty-years-of-being-boring.html

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
Yeah talk about a bittersweet masterpiece!
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
bittersweet for sure. Sometimes I cry listening to it. :-[
"All the people I was kissing, Some are here, some are missing"
"I always thought in spite of dreams, you'd be sitting somewhere here with me"

So many PSB songs were the soundtrack to my life with Randy. I never imagined those nights out dancing to this tune, how prophetic it would be and that just a short time later my Randy would be gone.

leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
I never went in for the PSBs. Too gay.

I much prefer the muscular butch stylings of Jimmy Sommerville.

MtD

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser

MtD

You like Boston

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaR2JeqxQDY
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Matty the Damned

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad

MtD

I love me some Bronski Beat, no need to have it be "either/or."

This particular rendition of Tell Me Why vs Smalltown Boy is hypnotic and operatic, in the best sense of that word:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4Z-5pSyUd4

Few if anyone can sound as gay as Neil Tennant does when singing West End Girls. It's political in its sibilance.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 08:33:02 pm by Inchlingblue »

Offline peteb

who are the pepshop boys is that that walberg guy

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©

MtD

I loved Jimmy's cover of an anthem from another fabulously butch queen, Miss Sylvester: "You Make Me Feel (Mighty Real)."

As far as the PSP go I have to admit that I like them a lot (especially their 'Very' and 'Nightlife' albums).  They also happen to have produced one of my favorite singles evah --Boy George's "The Crying Game."

I can't believe it's been 20 years since the release of "Being Boring"; always found it to be such a cute, bittersweet tune.

"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Inchlingblue

• Chad Ochocinco PETA Ad
Let's not forget PSP are also responsible for Liza's version of Rent, "I love yoooouuuuuuu, you pay my RENT."

LINK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypKa1ErPy_U

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
...and 'Nightlife' albums....
i would daresay that is their best album worth of material ("actually" runs a close second), and part of it is just leftovers from their muscial "Closer to Heaven"
leatherman (aka Michael)

Offline J.R.E.

Twenty years of "Being Boring"   ( Joe.My .god ) :

http://joemygod.blogspot.com/search?q=being+boring

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9UzyBECLOA&feature=related

As the 20th anniversary of the release of Pet Shop Boys' immortal Being Boring approaches this fall, the Guardian UK's music blogger calls it the greatest pop single of all time.

In the panoramic lyrical sweep from the 1920s to the 70s and, finally, the 90s, Being Boring really is about everything: innocence and experience, ambition and self-realisation ("I never dreamt that I would get to be/The creature that I always hoped to be"), love and (AIDs-related) loss ("All the people I was kissing/Some are here, some are missing"), friendship, nostalgia, ennui and, of course, defiance ("We had too much time to find for ourselves"). Tennant's plaintive vocal style only adds to the pathos. And it's all infused with the glamour and spirit of writer Zelda Fitzgerald (whose 1922 essay, Eulogy on the Flapper, contained the song's ideological kernel: "She refused to be bored chiefly because she wasn't boring.")

Greatest single ever, you ask, really? Aren't we dealing with something intangible here? Yes, but if art exists, as the writer Annie Dillard argues, "to make the stone stony", what could be stonier? Being Boring has followed me through my own teenage parties, student days, fumbled relationships and drunken evenings. In the summer it feels nostalgic, rose-tinted; in the winter it's a sun-beam, a cause for celebration. "I remember dancing to this," says one of the hundreds of comments on YouTube, "and I'd get tears in my eyes thinking of all the friends and lovers I've lost, where my life has gone and where it ended up." In short, does another song evoke, so perfectly, the sigh of experience with the hope of living?

As I have said before on this here website thingy, I too consider Being Boring to be (at the least) the greatest Pet Shop Boys achievement in a decades-long career of almost uncountable triumphs. Many Pet Shop Boys songs reference AIDS, of course, but none of them stab my heart as Being Boring does with the line, "All the people I was kissing, some are here and some are missing." A late friend of mine once described the song as "gorgeous torture." Indeed.

At least part of Being Boring's success is due to its release coming at the height of the plague, when all seemed hopeless and lost, making the song a vivid landmark, a sonic signpost in the lives of gay men at its debut in 1990. But interestingly, Neil Tennant has revealed that the track's achingly melancholy melody was created in a attempt to copy 80's disco producers Stock Aitken Waterman (Dead Or Alive, Rick Astley, Donna Summer, Kylie Minogue.)

"We were always fascinated about the way Stock Aitken Waterman would change key for choruses. And so the verse of Being Boring was in A minor or D minor, maybe, after we went up a semi-tone into A flat for the chorus. Which we would never have done before. It wasn't an attempt to be mature; it was actually an attempt to be like Stock Aitken Waterman."

If you ever see Pet Shop Boys in concert, steel yourselves for when Neil Tennant indicates an empty chair during "some are here and some are missing." Even though you know it's coming, it still wrecks you. Being Boring and Bruce Weber's video (filmed on Long Island, by the way), both belong in an LGBT museum.

Ray

« Last Edit: August 30, 2010, 09:26:53 pm by J.R.E. »

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
"Being Boring" is a great song. I wouldn't call it the greatest mainly because for me songs are like the days of you life-- you shouldn't have just one great day of your life, you should have lots of them. I do think "Being Boring" is similar to other classic songs such as ABBA's "Dancing Queen", Queen's "Bohemian Rhapsody", Prince's "When Doves Cry" where they are very much of their time period but transcend to become timeless.

Offline Matty the Damned

You queers don't know shit.

Cyndi Lauper's Time After Time is the greatest pop single. Ever.

MtD

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...

MtD
Time after time --- and the video was also killer - that was back when videos actually had some real substance - and they were still a novel thing...  Time after time

Now, I will be humming that all night - at least the words I remember - time after time (which you probably have figured out by now) - Time after time.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©

MtD

Deffo.

Actually, most of her stuff was pretty great ("Change of Heart", "She Bop", "Who Let In the Rain", even her cover of "Iko Iko").  I wish her career had stayed as big as that of other 80s pop icons.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
Re: Pet Shop Boys to be given lifetime achievement at major uk music awards 2009
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2010, 04:00:49 am »

MtD

It's a great song.  I also like her song "Money Changes Everything."
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Pet Shop Boys to be given lifetime achievement at major uk music awards 2009
« Reply #27 on: September 04, 2010, 12:54:18 pm »
Jimmy Somerville, Bronski Beat and The Communards cause me to projectile vomit, like overdosing on the galloping White Horse.

I was a Joy Division/New Order cocksucker who also could hang in the mosh pit with the straight edge boys... they all loved me.

I do admit to liking the first handful of PSB albums however, but I'd not call myself hardcore with them.  A DJ friend of mine remixed one of their later singles, and I was supposed to accompany them for a night out to Escuelita to see the latino drag show but I had bronchitis that weekend :(

Oh, and I have a very mess Cyndi Lauper story where she got so high at Sound Factory that she was pounding on the wall for hours looking for a secret door.  We all just watched and laughed.  ORIGINAL SOUND FACTORY NOT THE FAKE BOZO ONE.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline komnaes

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2010, 06:47:03 am »
Jimmy Somerville, Bronski Beat and The Communards cause me to projectile vomit, ..

HOW DARE YOU INSULT JIMMY!!!! .. ok, some of his later covers suck big lemon but "Age of Consent" is the pivotal gay album of the 80s and it was released pre-PSB and at a time the big sissy George Michael was in the closet and pretending to be in love with Brook Shields (though all was forgiven after "Cowboys and Angels"). He made being activist gay and a pop star possible.

And actually most of the Joy Division fans I knew back then all turned out gay.. go figure.. ;D
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.