Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:41:22 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772945
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 375
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 360
Total: 362

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: I'm Positive  (Read 4922 times)

Offline buginme2

I'm Positive
« on: December 01, 2012, 12:06:01 pm »
Tonight at 7pm MTV is airing a documentary called "I'm Positive" as part of world AIDS day.

http://www.sfgate.com/tv/article/I-m-Positive-review-HIV-documentary-4081952.php

The documentary was produced by Dr Drew, here is a paragraph from the story, it looks interesting.  Time to set the DVR

"I'm Positive," a one-hour documentary produced by Dr. Drew Pinsky and Lo Bosworth, in conjunction with the Kaiser Family Foundation, is remarkable at first by how much it resembles other reality shows about people in their 20s having the kinds of everyday problems with relationships we're used to seeing on MTV. That's a good thing, in a way, because it reinforces the message that people with HIV go through all the ups and downs anyone else will experience in life.

Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline tednlou2

Re: I'm Positive
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2012, 02:56:32 pm »
I usually stay away from that channel, but I'll set my TIVO for this.

Offline anmlvrnyc

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2012, 06:59:38 pm »
thanks for the info. caught your post just in time.
i saw How to survive a plague last night at the center. i'm not a long term survivor but it was really great to see how it all started and progressed. truly inspirational.
the best part was seeing Peter Staley in person. he is amazing.

Offline wolfter

« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2012, 07:15:52 pm »
Just started watching it too.  I had no idea what channel MTV was on.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline Mrmojorisin

• My Blog
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2012, 08:51:58 pm »
I just watched this and the after show on the MTV website..I liked it. Just another way to put a human face to this. I also like the fact that all three of them have become advocates and speakers. 
Started Meds On 5/1/2012 Norvair, Truvada, Prezista, and Bactrim

4/17/2012--CD4 83/ VL 353,000  7.0%
5/15/2012--CD4 218/ VL 4,970    14.1%
6/27/2012--CD4 146/ VL 420      6.1%
10/11/2012-CD4-223/ VL-62       9.5%
2/14/2013--CD4-215/ VL-119      13.6%
7/3/2013---CD4-256/ VL-UD       18.0%
10/18/2013 CD4-223/ VL-UD       22.2%
01/23/2014-CD4-381/VL-UD       25.3%--Dropped the Bactrim
05/01/2014 CD4-370/VL-UD       23.5%
01/08/2015 CD4-455/VL-UD       28.7%
06/18/2015 CD4-422/VL-UD       31.9%
01/07/2016 CD4-275/VL-UD       31.3%
02/10/2016 Switch meds to Tivicay and Truvada
04/25/2016 CD4-426/VL-UD        34.1%
07/14/2016 CD4-414/VL-UD        38.0%

"arrrrhhhhh ahhrrhhhhh aaaarrhhh"- Chewbacca

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2012, 11:23:11 pm »
It was good to see something like this on TV but I stopped counting at 6 how many times people with HIV referred to people who were HIV negative as clean , that , I didn't like so much .

I couldn't help thinking about how the experience of these young men and women diagnosed recently differ from what people experienced in the beginning of the epidemic .
Its a difference I welcome and realize that the things that have changed for the better benefit all of us as equals . 

I did have one observation that has nothing to do with what I just wrote but it caught my attention all the same . A woman named Kelly was talking to her friend about needing to take a break from her boyfriend , she was insisting HIV had nothing to do with the need for her to break up with the boyfriend , while she is telling this to her friend he calls and then she insist to him she needs her space to protect her health . I found that interesting .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline buginme2

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2012, 12:11:20 am »
I didn't like it.
Don't be fancy, just get dancey

Offline wolfter

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2012, 12:15:57 am »
It was interesting seeing today's youth reacting to it.  So different than mine and I'm grateful we've reached that point.  The love and support between the infected and their families deeply touched me.

The willingness to attack the virus head-on and even become advocates for change is a great tribute to the original warriors of this disease.

Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2012, 01:20:51 am »
thanks for the info. caught your post just in time.
i saw How to survive a plague last night at the center. i'm not a long term survivor but it was really great to see how it all started and progressed. truly inspirational.
the best part was seeing Peter Staley in person. he is amazing.

I saw this film last night as well.  I can't even put it all into words.  It pulled me up and down and inside out all at once.  Within moments of it starting, it was jolting to be confronted with how recent and raw it still felt - those beginning days, I mean.  I wasn't there or quite of age, of course, but I still vividly remember every venomous word dripping out of the mouths of people like Jesse Helms.  I remember the whole hysteria, the chaos, confusion and sense of helplessness and abandonment of the part of society at large.  I remember seeing Staley on the tube, never dreaming that I'd be so directly effected by the guy on the screen.

I said this on Facebook, and I'll say it again here:  It is sometimes hard to get through, but ultimately this film is not about death but about the best of what it is to be alive.

AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2012, 02:48:55 am »
Watching it now.  So far, it is pretty good.  But, they could have cut back on the commercials. 

Modified: 

OMG, THE COMMERCIALS!  I forgot how MTV is just an ad revenue channel with a little content mixed in.  This is a tad more important than My Sweet 16 Party, or whatever it's called.  I applaud them for doing the show, but they could have made a little less money on ads for this.  Thank God for DVRs.  But, you gotta keep the remote in your hand for this.  Ah, how fortunate to have such frivolous problems.  ::)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 03:26:38 am by tednlou2 »

Offline kellybryana

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 12:59:37 pm »

I did have one observation that has nothing to do with what I just wrote but it caught my attention all the same . A woman named Kelly was talking to her friend about needing to take a break from her boyfriend , she was insisting HIV had nothing to do with the need for her to break up with the boyfriend , while she is telling this to her friend he calls and then she insist to him she needs her space to protect her health . I found that interesting .

Hey there, that was actually me on the special. I've been a member in these forums for a couple years, but just haven't posted for a bit. What I meant is that the actual problems in our relationship didn't have anything to do with HIV, but that the problems we did have were causing stress which is bad for my health. There is no paradox or hypocrisy in any of it.

Thank you all for watching the show, I hope you enjoyed it, and are happy with the message it sent.

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 02:34:40 pm »
Hey there, that was actually me on the special. I've been a member in these forums for a couple years, but just haven't posted for a bit. What I meant is that the actual problems in our relationship didn't have anything to do with HIV, but that the problems we did have were causing stress which is bad for my health. There is no paradox or hypocrisy in any of it.

Thank you all for watching the show, I hope you enjoyed it, and are happy with the message it sent.

I was actually wondering if that Kelly was you , even mentioned it to my friends who watched it with me after I saw you on line looking at this thread after I wrote what I did . 
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline anmlvrnyc

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 07:57:34 pm »
I saw this film last night as well.  I can't even put it all into words.  It pulled me up and down and inside out all at once.  Within moments of it starting, it was jolting to be confronted with how recent and raw it still felt - those beginning days, I mean.  I wasn't there or quite of age, of course, but I still vividly remember every venomous word dripping out of the mouths of people like Jesse Helms.  I remember the whole hysteria, the chaos, confusion and sense of helplessness and abandonment of the part of society at large.  I remember seeing Staley on the tube, never dreaming that I'd be so directly effected by the guy on the screen.

I said this on Facebook, and I'll say it again here:  It is sometimes hard to get through, but ultimately this film is not about death but about the best of what it is to be alive.

I agree 100%. It wasn't about what happened. It is about how we are going to move forward and continue to fight for our rights.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 12:36:20 am »

Kelly, I wanted to say that I think it is great you were willing to put your status out there on a network show.  How did you come to be apart of the show?  Did you know someone at MTV, were contacted via your doc, or was there a casting call? 

Are you happy with the end result and how your were portrayed?  I mean, they didn't edit things differently than how they occurred?  My partner, friend, and I watched the show.  We all were a little confused why so much time given to relationship issues that weren't about being poz.  We thought they could have given more time to the AIDS walk scene, where you and a friend were working on a documentary.  After thinking about it, I thought maybe it was good to show poz people having everyday issues. 

I'm glad MTV did something.  However, given the limited time with all those commercials, I had hoped they would have covered navigating the healthcare system, health issues, mental health issues, criminalization issues, etc.  I know this is something that you're very proud of and I'm not knocking you, but I think it was a watered-down show.  Obviously, that's not your fault and you probably disagree.  All the ads were disappointing.  They could have done a few less commercials for this.  The full episode online was no better.  I think they had 19 mins of ads online, as well.  Getting younger people to watch would be hard enough.  Of course, they can fast-forward, when watching on TV.  However, many are watching content online now, and I just don't think many would wait through all those Larry the Cable Guy heart burn ads.  Is "I'm Positive" a recurring series, where they do cover more HIV issues?  I know it isn't a regular series, but wondering whether it is a show they do a few times a year. 

I do applaud you for being out with your status, willing to discuss it to a nationwide/worldwide audience, and, frankly, doing much more than I.   

Offline kellybryana

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 03:17:23 am »
Wow, that's a bunch of questions. I'll try and answer all of them...

I found out about this through the CDC who I did an ad campaign with earlier this year.  They contact me with opportunities here and there to get out there with my story. There was a casting call as well though.

As far as how I was portrayed in the show...unfortunately, that was really my life at the time. There were a lot of details they kept out about my problems with my (now) ex, which I was really happy about. I am proud of my strength in how I dealt with the particular situation, but if I could go back and film it again, I would focus more on all the other aspects of my life and kicked my bf out of the shoot early. I'm so much more than all that drama! I think it was good though to show that people who have HIV have every day issues just like everyone else.

If MTV gets enough of a response, they may make it into a series, but there is no word yet. In other words, if you guys want it to be a series, you should email them and tell them how awesome you thought it was and that you want to see more of Steph, Otis, and I. I have no say of how many ads are played, but I can definitely suggest to DVR it and watch it the next day so you can fast forward through all that nonsense.

They kept it pretty watered down on purpose for the majority of the world that is uneducated about the disease. They wanted to touch on certain important aspects of it such as how easy it is to go get tested, hence the scene where Stephanie takes her friend to get tested. The cast was chosen very carefully, and so was every scene they showed. Everything had a purpose. If you notice, they show Otis kissing his HIV negative boyfriend, lady and the tramp style at the Italian restaurant, and Stephanie sharing her makeup with her friend before they go out so people see that you can't get it either of those ways. I know its kind of crazy that they felt the need to show that, but people really don't know much! I told the girl who cuts my hair that I wanted a really cute cut because I was going to NYC to do the after show (disclosing my status at the same time) and she would barely touch my scalp and rushed through washing my hair. Thats the last time I'll ever go to her obviously, but it just showed me why I did the show in the first place.

The main point of the special (and why I wanted to get involved) was to reach the MTV audience and open their eyes and educate them while breaking down the generalizations and stereotypes of people who are infected with this virus. I think it did a pretty good job, and I was really happy to be a part of it.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2012, 03:22:45 am by kellybryana »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.