Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 08:06:04 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773197
  • Total Topics: 66336
  • Online Today: 554
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 470
Total: 472

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: want to connect  (Read 6175 times)

Offline diya2014

want to connect
« on: March 11, 2014, 10:32:50 am »
hi all,
Am new here and am HIV negative but concerned and generally interested in reading up on everything that i get about HIV. I have loads of questions and doubts to ask u all but i really dont know if this is the right forum or should i move in to some other forum ?
am a female,indian,30years old and a school teacher plus also a freelancer in a neighborhood newspaper.
hoping to connect with you all.
thank you and looking forward. :)

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: want to connect
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 11:10:15 am »
hi all,
Am new here and am HIV negative but concerned and generally interested in reading up on everything that i get about HIV. I have loads of questions and doubts to ask u all but i really dont know if this is the right forum or should i move in to some other forum ?
am a female,indian,30years old and a school teacher plus also a freelancer in a neighborhood newspaper.
hoping to connect with you all.
thank you and looking forward. :)

If you have questions about HIV transmission or if you think you have had a risk you can ask your questions in AM I INFECTED . If you are here to learn about HIV there is a wealth of information on this site for you to read .

If there is a person in your life that has HIV the Someone one I care about forum is the place to post . We do not allow HIV negative people to post in any other areas of the forum than the ones I mentioned . Thanks .
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 11:17:54 am by Jeff G »
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline diya2014

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 01:16:46 pm »
Hi Jeff,
i do have a colleague and good friend of mine who is HIV positive(Thats one of the reasons i read up on HIV a lot,although i have always been concerned about this issue)Nobody except me and her mum know about it. She is a divorcee with a kid who is lucky not to get it,although she wasnt on ARTsduring delivery (she wasnt poz at that time)and exclusively breastfed.(thats when her hub gave her the HIV and they broke up. She knew it only aft she had breastfed for 8months. She is naturally verylean(cant blame it on HIV)But she has been getting some bad acne which is bothering her.Is it due to  HIV or jus stress?Also,her cd4 count is above 700 but she wants to start it early so that it never drops down-is that okay?or are the side effects not worth it when you are keeping good health??

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 01:25:51 pm »
Hi Jeff,
i do have a colleague and good friend of mine who is HIV positive(Thats one of the reasons i read up on HIV a lot,although i have always been concerned about this issue)Nobody except me and her mum know about it. She is a divorcee with a kid who is lucky not to get it,although she wasnt on ARTsduring delivery (she wasnt poz at that time)and exclusively breastfed.(thats when her hub gave her the HIV and they broke up. She knew it only aft she had breastfed for 8months. She is naturally verylean(cant blame it on HIV)But she has been getting some bad acne which is bothering her.Is it due to  HIV or jus stress?Also,her cd4 count is above 700 but she wants to start it early so that it never drops down-is that okay?or are the side effects not worth it when you are keeping good health??

If she has access to meds is ready for the lifetime commitment of taking meds everyday then its her choice . Side effects vary from one individual to the next but if a person needs the meds then its important to take them faithfully and work with your doctor to pick the combo that is best for you .

Why not suggest she join the site so that she can get the support she needs from like minded people going through the same things .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline diya2014

« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 09:52:12 pm »
You are right and that makes sense But she has this hitch about opening up that she is HIV positive and talking about stuff.Maybe her inborn shyness plus the indian culture((There is more stigma in this part of the world,defenitely)Am amazed to see people in POZ absolutely comfortable in their skins and leading a very very normal and happy life.She needs to be in here.I shal try to convince her.

Offline zach

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2014, 01:35:20 am »
the decision to disclose or not is an intensely personal one. i regret ever telling anyone, even the ones that don't have some kind of irrational reaction. it's also been my experience that everyone you tell, tells two people, and it grows exponentially beyond ones control.

Offline diya2014

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2014, 06:15:53 am »
Hi zach,
Thats coz many people still treat HIV as scandal or gossip material and cant keep it to themselves,when confided upon :(but communities like these are good outlets for venting out.
How has life been with you,healthwise?Do antiretrovirals take a toll on you?or is it that everybody responds differently?

Offline zach

« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2014, 07:06:43 am »
the why of stigma doesn't affect its existence. its all semantics. it is what it is.

not good when i was diagnosed. there are many different drug regimens, side effects vary among patients and drugs.

Offline diya2014

« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2014, 10:24:20 am »
I did read most of your posts,especially about the ignorance in your family regarding HIV transmission and also those posts where you had meticulously jotted down all the criteria so well.It seems so easy to avoid oneself from getting infected but at the same time,people continue to get infected in large numbers.i guess its just the moment and the wrong judgement.Can happen to ANYBODY anytime and if people realise that,then all this hue and cry over HIV will end..
With respect to what you said about antiretrovirals,how do HIV infected kids go through it?i gues s the journey must be tougher for them.

Offline diya2014

enlighten me!
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 09:44:33 am »
Hi Jeff and others,
This website is a wealth of information and i have read through quite a lot but i still have a few doubts.I hope this is the right forum to address those doubts.
Does breastmilk really transmit HIV from mother to child?it is listed as one of the sources of transmission everywhere but i read an article here abs Hpout breastmilk havin a particular element that stops HIV from binding to the cells,So what is the truth? My own friend is HiV positive but the kid isnt,inspite of being breastfed.
Does Pre cum have enough potential to transmit Hiv?Is there anybody who has been infected by precum?
How did the woman-woman transmission happen in texas when there is absolutely no possibility?
Why is it that some women or men remain Hiv negative inspite of their spouses being positive?Even without usage of truvada or condoms?surprising
i am sorry for such a long questionnaire but would just likd to know.
Thank you so much.

Offline diya2014

Re: enlighten me!
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 10:12:53 am »
Oops i should have posted this in the only two forums that iam allowed to but what i have posted now is not relevant to either of them..sorry!

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 10:18:30 am »
Diya ... I have to ask, are you HIV positive and that is why you keep asking these questions ?

Please only post in this one thread or forum . Thanks .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline diya2014

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 10:48:54 am »
No Jeff,Iam not HIV positive..These are just general questions.i am sorry if i gave you that impression.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.