Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:03:56 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 361
Total: 361

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Hemispherx and Japan's niid new vaccine with immune enhancer  (Read 5629 times)

Offline bimazek

Hemispherx and Japan's niid new vaccine with immune enhancer
« on: September 10, 2007, 08:16:51 pm »
PHILADELPHIA, Sept. 10, 2007 (PRIME NEWSWIRE) -- Hemispherx Biopharma, Inc. (AMEX:HEB) today announced that Japan's National Institute of Infectious Diseases (NIID) has extended its relationship with Hemispherx Biopharma to initiate research on the intranasal co-administration of NIID's HIV-1 vaccine with Hemispherx's experimental TLR3 agonist and immune enhancer, Ampligen(r) (Poly I; Poly C12U). This research takes its cue from earlier successful research suggesting an effective role for Ampligen(r) in boosting certain vaccines that combat H5N1 (avian influenza or "bird flu") as well as seasonal influenza viruses.

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/primenewswire/126327.htm

anyone have time to dig alittle and find out if this is both

therapudic and prophalactic

ie

can help us after infection too

try google scholar search on the name of the company

in their science papers they should mention it

Offline Pepino2

• Facial wasting need not be...Teach PMMA!
Re: Hemispherx and Japan's niid new vaccine with immune enhancer
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2007, 10:23:42 pm »
Philadelphia, PA, Monday, April 30, 2007: Hemispherx Biopharma, Inc. (AMEX: HEB) announced today the first scientific publication (Journal of Immunology, April 2007) that explains the unique therapeutic properties of its proprietary experimental therapeutic, Ampligen® (Poly I : Poly C12U), a double-stranded RNA being tested as a monotherapy for Chronic Fatigue Syndrome and as an adjuvant to other drugs and vaccines.

Their April press release gives a hint as to what Ampligen® (Poly I : Poly C12U) is all about. 

¨...the findings further establish the remarkable specificity of Ampligen® in activating the critical first line of defense against various types of pathogenic elements. The findings are pertinent to many cutting edge therapeutic topics in biotechnology today, including the enhancement of vaccine efficacy (both antiviral and anticancer) as well as strengthening biologic therapy (interferons, interleukins, etc.) of various serious human diseases as well as enhancing traditional antivirals such as Tamiflu® and Relenza®.¨

http://www.hemispherx.net/content/investor/default.asp?goto=306

It seems to be pursued in the context of ¨enhancing¨ innate immunologic response on newly infected (or in the case of a vaccine).

On my side I remember my Doctor telling me, after I had been recently been diagnosed with CD4 around 250 that his was going to give me a Hep vaccine that I never had (don't remember which one) and he said its now or never..¨ I don't really know what he meant by that.  I don't know if this was a general response about ones ¨innate immunologic response abilities¨ and how this ability gets compromised with HIV progression or was it specific to Hep vaccines.  He is very knowledgeable in infectious diseases..so nothing to do with his experience with HIV patients.

Bizmak, do you, or anyone, know if an HIV compromised (but say with a few years of undetectable virus and 400+ CD4) count can generate an ¨innate immunologic response¨?  Most of us still get our annual ¨flu shot¨.

I must admit I'm a bit confused by the science ....as guys in my IT department would say....¨get the screw driver out of his hands...¨ :)

This is my first post by the way....after one an a half year of reading you guys thought I'd contribute too.  I owe it to myself...and others.

many thx

Offline powerpuff

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2007, 10:36:58 pm »
thanx

Offline Pepino2

• Facial wasting need not be...Teach PMMA!
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2007, 11:11:42 pm »
I also just looked up in the company's  June filing to the SEC (Securities exchange commission - this is a publicly traded company) and found the following titbit...

¨In June 2007, we met with Dr. Hasegawa of the National Institute of Infectious Diseases in Japan and representatives of the Research Foundation of Microbial Diseases in Osaka University (Biken) to discuss the results of Dr. Hasegawa’s work in using Ampligen® as an adjuvant to make flu vaccines more effective. Further discussions are scheduled as to the extent and terms of a collaboration effort with Biken to develop a more effective flu vaccine using Ampligen® as an adjuvant.

In June 2007, we initiated a clinical trial in Australia using Ampligen® in combination with seasonal flu vaccines. This trial is expected to continue for several months, is being conducted in Australia’s winter season and focuses on populations at risk for virulent cases of influenza, especially those over the age of 60 years who historically may have weakened immune systems. The Australian clinical trial was prompted by the results from the pre-clinical work conducted by Dr. Hasegawa of the National Institute of Infectious diseases of Japan (see above comments). Thirty patients are anticipated to be enrolled in the Australian study, which will utilize a two dose Ampligen® regimen of 2mg per dose. This study is being monitored by Clinical Network Services Pty. Ltd. located in Brisbane, Australia. The clinical trials center of St. Vincent’s Hospital based in Darling Hurst, Australia will be conducting the trial. Prospective patients are being screened to be included in the clinical trials starting in August 2007. ¨

http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/946644/000114420407041455/v083541_10q.htm

Three :) I get out of it this...

1)  Dr. Hasegawa may know something we don't :)
2) If it ¨enhances¨ immunologic response for 60+ then maybe....
3) Even if it pans out to only work against Avian Flu....that's a-ok with me.  I hear that this is a nasty little devil of a bug too :)

thx

¨The pipeline is bursting...soon¨  Keep the faith :)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 11:18:21 pm by Pepino2 »

Offline chadly

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2007, 11:34:24 am »
Bizmak, do you, or anyone, know if an HIV compromised (but say with a few years of undetectable virus and 400+ CD4) count can generate an ¨innate immunologic response¨?  Most of us still get our annual ¨flu shot¨.

One example of an innate immunologic response is inflammation.  Another innate response would be the release of histamine.

Innate response paves the wave for the adaptive immunologic response.

hope this info helps

Offline chadly

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2007, 01:23:11 pm »
Bim,
Read for a while today about Toll like receptors.  (TRL)   The Ampligen “booster” in your post.

I found this unrelated article focusing on inflammation of nodes, but indicates that TRL3 and TRL9 levels are increased in acute HIV infected patients, and those with AIDS.
There seems to be a correlation between TRL3/TRL9 levels with HIV/SIV viral load.

http://www.jimmunol.org/cgi/content/full/175/8/5314

(excerpt from above, note: 2005)
“The inflammatory response that occurs in lymphoid tissues during HIV-1 and SIV infection prompted us to examine potential roles for TLRs in the production of inflammatory mediators in vivo and in vitro. In this study, we present data for the first time on the effects of immunodeficiency virus infection on the in vivo expression patterns of TLRs in lymphoid tissues using the best animal model system currently available for HIV-1 infection and disease induction…

There will be a formidable challenge in attempting to use this information to benefit HIV-1-infected individuals. Increased TLR3 expression in lymphoid tissues during SIV infection, and the resulting effects on inflammation and viral gene expression, suggest that approaches that block or redirect TLR3 signaling could help to reduce inflammation in lymphoid tissues. In contrast, it has been shown in vitro and in vivo that TLR3 ligands are effective at inhibiting viral replication. Therefore, any immunomodulatory strategy targeted toward TLR3 must balance the need to maintain the appropriate strength and nature of adaptive immune responses that will act on virus-infected cells, with the combined goal of reducing the inflammatory consequences of TLR3 action and maintaining the antiviral consequences of TLR3 signaling. TLR3, therefore, appears to lie at a precarious interface between benefit and harm for the host.”

I’m no doctor or have any medical training, but from what I read about TRL’s, there is def a prophylactic use (Ampligen in vaccines) and perhaps it will also be used therapeutically in those with low TRL levels, since it helps inhibit viral replication

The Ampligen, which is included with that HIV Vaccine is what interests me.

Ampligen:
"...Activated 2-5A, in turn, activates an enzyme called RNase-L, which destroys viral RNA. (Oragen compounds directly stimulate the production of active 2-5A.) 2-5A itself also can control the growth of certain human tumor cells and inhibits reverse transcriptase, the enzyme both HIV and HBV use for reproduction."
http://wwcoco.com/cfids/ampligen.html

Ironic as it is,  I was diagnosed with CFID prior to testing poz.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2007, 03:47:37 pm by chadly »

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.