Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:37:47 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773217
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 581
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 505
Total: 507

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: very very late disclosure of status from a partner! :-(  (Read 5305 times)

Offline confusedsf

very very late disclosure of status from a partner! :-(
« on: July 28, 2008, 06:52:08 pm »
I've been dating a boy that I really liked for almost 2 months, when totally out of the blue, he told me that he is positive. I was pretty shocked at this. Shocked, upset, and also very annoyed that he left it so long to tell me. We have spoken a few times since his disclosure and, much as I want to, I'm finding it hard to get really angry with him. I guess this is because I like him so much. But this in itself is bothering me. Surely I should be a LOT more angry than I am? Although we used condoms for sex, he still exposed me to a risk as I engaged in unprotected receptive oral sex (which is supposed to have result in infection in 1 in 10,000 cases, i.e. 0.01%). Although 0.01% does not seem that high, its probably higher in my case because I have occasional gum disease. Regardless of the statistical risk, he still was not honest enough to let me decide.

I just wondered if anyone else had a similar experience of having a partner wait such a long time to disclose their status. If so, did you ever forgive that person and form/continue a relationship with them? Several of my friends have told me that if they were in my situation, they would show this guy the door in no uncertain terms. Am I a fool to even be considering still seeing this boy? I'm really confused and unsure what I should do.

Offline vasky

Re: very very late disclosure of status from a partner! :-(
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2008, 09:18:47 pm »
Hi ConfusedF:
I think its up to each individual how we react. I can share with you my experience and hope it sheds some light. As you I met a guy, liked him a lot. We had sex with condom. After a few times we had THE conversation I like you I want to see where this takes us. I asked him "how come you are living with your parents and you are x years old?" And then he started telling the story of when he broke up with his ex girlfriend, he was will and shortly after was diagnosed. That when he looked straight at my eyes and said That is how I found out I am HIV positive. i remember at that moment a zillion options came to my mind, one of them being "what the hell are you doing in my livingroom?" He apologized for not telling me before, and mentioned that if it had been something casual he wouldn't have disclosed his status. That night he introduced me to this site, and I started reading and educating myself on what is HIV. Four months later I am very happy and have never regretted giving myself the opportunity to have the boyfriend I have.

What can I say its up to you. Think of him besides his HIV status. Is this a person you want to be with? Go for it!

Hope this served its purpose.

Patty

Offline md

Re: very very late disclosure of status from a partner! :-(
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2008, 12:43:07 am »
Hi, confusedsf

I am the -ve partner of someone who we believe had probably been +ve for about 10 years before he was diagnosed in June 2006.

I realize that it can be quite a shock when you discover that your partner is +ve but it is also a difficult subject to bring up - there isn't really a "good time" to have that conversation - that's probably why it seemed to come out of the blue - your partner had probably been wanting to bring it up before but didn't quite manage until that moment.

Anyway, it sounds like you had protected sex and he didn't lie to you about his status.

You have to take responsibility for having unprotected receptive oral sex with him - something that, for practical purposes, I personally regard as being essentially zero risk (I am much more worried about getting killed in a car accident or dying of a heart attack than I am of contracting HIV through oral sex)

However, you are the one who has to decide what risks you are comfortable with and then follow through with your partners - remember that unless you are in a long term monogamous relationship you had better assume that your partner *might* be +ve whether they or you know it or not.

So, if I were you I would try to get past this initial glitch in your relationship and see where it takes you.

Good Luck!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.