Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:04:32 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 341
Total: 342

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Blood test are sorta in...  (Read 4852 times)

Offline xtremepms

• Cono
Blood test are sorta in...
« on: January 07, 2007, 10:15:42 pm »
[/i]
We got Tom's labs back, well only half of them.  His TCells have went up by 1, he is now at 635.  They did not do a viral load on him, but instead sent his blood out to be tested for HIV.  They retested the viral load and he should get the result soon.  But I am confused, and would like your help.

In his first test, he had a TCell count of 634 and his viral load was around 650 (sorry I cant remember his count.).  What I don't understand is why his counts are so good.  Prior to being tested, his last sexual encounter was May '06.  He was tested in Aug 06.  Wouldn't his counts be worse then that.  Not that either of us are complaining, it just seems as from what I have been reading here that once you seroconvert, your viral loads are very high, and TCells are low.
His last HIV test was in March of 04, it was negative.  So we know he got in in the time period between 3/04 and 8/06.  He would of already seroconverted by then.
Am I just an idiot for wondering about this?
Cono
His numbers just are making me curious.  I don't like mysteries.

Offline aupointillimite

• FUS DO RAH!
Re: Blood test are sorta in...
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2007, 10:38:26 pm »
Wait, so exposure would have, at the latest, occured in May 2006?

Acute HIV infection (when viral load is high and CD4 counts are low) would definitely be over by now.  From my understanding, the immune response that brings HIV from acute infection into clinical latency takes only 9-12 weeks.

I got my first labs about two months post exposure, and they were pretty crappy... but three months later they had rebounded extremely nicely. 
Your tastebuds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!

Offline Eldon

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2007, 02:37:07 am »

Hey Cono,

I agree with you just as well about mysteries. When you get his viral load results, you will be able to have a better pciture of this. What happened that they did not do a VL test with his CD4's?

"What can I notice right now that makes me smile?"

Offline xtremepms

• Cono
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2007, 12:16:58 am »
They drew the blood for it and somehow or another they tested for HIV instead.  Not sure if it was a lab error or the wrong test was checked on the lab req., I guess it doesn't matter who's fault it was, we are still waiting.

Offline thirtysomething

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2007, 12:22:44 am »
Hi Cono,

You shouldn't be surprised by his numbers. I was freaked out (and sometimes I still am) that my numbers are so good. It's been 9 months now that I'm poz and I have great CD4 counts and undetectable viral load. Tom's a lucky guy with good genes!

Offline xtremepms

• Cono
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2007, 08:01:24 am »
We got his viral load back last week, and it went down... to 408.  Doctors are happy, said his body is doing what it is supposed to be doing.

He is feeling better about this now.  He if finally having an optimistic attitude again.  He does not want to go on meds, I am not sure he can adhere to taking daily meds.  If the side affects are to much he will stop them. He did however, promise me one year.  We will see.

Cono

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2007, 08:12:09 am »
I agree with the others, his numbers look great. I know if I had his numbers my doc wouldn't even want to put me on meds. What is his doctor saying about this? He should only start meds when he is ready to. Some people like to start meds early and fight the aggressive fight while others like to wait until their viral load is a bit higher or cd 4 has dropped significantly. Or there are those that have to start meds immediately, it's all up to the individual.
But the news sounds great, please keep us posted.
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2007, 01:59:15 pm »
We got his viral load back last week, and it went down... to 408.  Doctors are happy, said his body is doing what it is supposed to be doing.

He is feeling better about this now.  He if finally having an optimistic attitude again.  He does not want to go on meds, I am not sure he can adhere to taking daily meds.  If the side affects are to much he will stop them. He did however, promise me one year.  We will see.

Cono

Hi Cono,

I may have come in late on this, but from what I understand the general concensus is that Viral Loads are sky high often when someone is first infected and over time as the body fights back it starts dropping along with T cells and eventually levels out at what they refer to as a base or set point where things level off before ultimately declining.

Are you saying his viral load is only at 408?   If so, that sounds to me like he has one Hell of an immune system with high CD4 numbers as well.

I don't think any doctor would even suggest he start any meds at all.   

I've talked with so many people who's numbers were just all over the place.   The biggest problem is that everyone's are going to be different and more often than not most don't know the exact time when they were infected.   I know my doctor would say this wouldn't sound like a recent infection.

But, it's really a moot point anyway.   His numbers are fantastic and it could be years before anyone recommends meds.   When I was diag. in March last year my CD4 was 627.   Now it's at 354 as of Jan 18th.   

Just make certain to keep on top of checking every 3 months or so.   It's easy to get caught up in the numbers game.   I swore I wouldn't do it again, but more important is to keep track of actual health I think.
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline xtremepms

• Cono
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2007, 09:06:38 pm »
They are not talking about meds just yet, he goes again in 3 months for more blood work. I think the doctors are saying a few years before meds is needed. 

We will cross that bridge then, and I am sure I will be asking all kinds of questions then.  He is non compliant with life, I am sure he wont change when it is time for meds.

Here is the thing that bothers me most, and I am not sure if this is the time or place.... for the most part he is optimistic about this, but he has his days.  When he calls me at night, and is quite upset about what his death certificate is going to say, when he is worried about waisting away to nothing, when he hits dirt bottom.... what do I say to him?  No matter what he dies from, his death certificate will say complication of HIV/AIDS, the meds will probably make him sick.... I can't lie to him, but on the other hand I need him to not look at the dark side of everything.  How do I help him when the dread of this + beer= deep depression?  I don't want to sound like a friggin recording on how he can live for years... this he knows...  I know there is no answer... just have to follow my gut on this I guess.  He is my best friend, and I am afraid to lose him before I have to.  I guess I just needed to vent.  Sorry.
Thanks for all your help!
Cono

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2007, 09:32:21 pm »
Hey Cono,

I take it he was recently diagnosed?   Oh, I had a couple of drunken phone calls to my sister and a few friends I regret during those first few weeks.

I'm sure my sister worries a lot, but my family I know talks among themselves too.   I had a really bad attitude initially.   I thought I was going to die.   Well, it's nearly a year later and none of that happened.  I didn't have to take meds, didn't get sick and have no wasting or any of that.   

I originally said I wouldn't take meds to my family, but have since changed my mind.  I'm most scared about the possibility of effects, but you know what helped me most was making friends and contacts who'd had it for years, some over 20 years.   I'm not a fan of support groups, but there are other social events in most major cities where he can meet other HIV+ people.   

It has taken a lot of effort and education, but now my family and I are pretty much back to normal.   I'll admit I'm aprehensive about the meds still and that's why I've been online so much the last couple days.

Whenever I get stressed out I talk about it.   Unfortunately, in the beginning I was drunk and depressed on several of those occasions and not too proud of that.   

But try to maintain a sense of normalcy with him.   When you say he won't cooperate or what not, do you mean he has mental health issues or a drug problem?????    I know a lot of people who go all self destructive when they are diagnosed.   

Offline xtremepms

• Cono
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2007, 09:53:25 pm »
It is impossible to explain Tom... Tom is Tom.  He doesn't have a mental health issue as a rule.  He was diagnosed in Aug 06.  This has knocked him for a loop.  He does love his beer, and that was the one thought on his mind when he was diagnosed... he refuses to give up his beer.  He has reduced his intake, by quite a bit, but he still love his Busch Lite. 

Tom has issues, as many of us here do.  He has struggled with the gay issue, he is worried that his mother will have to bury another child, his brother died a few years ago after a massive heart attack.  He is worried about the financial aspects of this.  He is afraid of dying alone. 

When he calls at night he is usually on beer 12 or more.  I understand that causes the phone call, but the beer makes him really state how he is feeling.  Any other time he says he is "Wonderful!"  I am glad that he knows he can call me, I just have no idea what to say to him when he gets morbid. 

He joined a support group and they depressed him... he wont go back.  They all had negative things to say about the meds, negative things about life in general.  How do I fight that?  How do I tell him he can be different?  Those in his group live this life.  I don't.  I can not understand his feelings, I can sympathize with him, but I can't even pretend to know what he is going through.  Argh, he just makes me angry sometimes!  Then I feel horrible for getting angry at him!

Cono

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2007, 10:30:15 pm »
Hey Cono,

Ok, this situation sounds much more salvageable and normal to me.   He's not gona have to give up his beer and I'd be damned if I gave up everything either.

I'm sure I'm gona get slammed for this, but most of the people at those support groups are wierdos.   I was horrified by one and would never go back and most of my friends say the same.   I find those people are typically disfunctional and many of them were a mess before they ever got HIV.

A lot of those people are screwy.   And, they blame every issue they ever had on HIV.   Ugh!   Those are a real downer in my opinion and recently a friend of mine started a private support group which is actually more of a social group.   I was reluctant to go cause I thought it'd be a bunch of guys talking about meds and all depressing.   It actually turned out to be a fairly cool group.

I was so disgusted with the support group I started my own discussion group on Myspace that now has over 300 members.   It's not a bitch and moan place and I'll be happy to give you the link if you are interested.

To me it sounds like he's dealing with a lot of the initial depression, denial and what not.   I think most of us probably could relate.   It's great he's got you as a friend.

Wesley

Offline xtremepms

• Cono
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2007, 10:38:06 pm »
Thanks Wesley I would like that... he has a myspace account, and maybe this will be better for him.

Cono

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2007, 03:52:34 am »
Hey Doll,

Here is the link:  http://groups.myspace.com/StraightTalkAboutHIVAIDS   If you have trouble finding it it's because it's set to private.  Here's my Myspace profile if ya have any issues:

http://www.myspace.com/wesleyinaustin

I actually like this forumn very much.   But perhaps the myspace one is just another option.  There are a few HIV groups on Myspace.

This site has a very organized set up, but I do also like the personal touch Myspace has.   I personally find it hard to take people seriously who have cartoons as profile pictures ;)  But you'll find that on Myspace too.  I just don't give a damn if anyone knows I'm positive so whatever.

Wesley

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.