Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:29:09 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37651
  • Latest: Toropi_
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 624
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 598
Total: 599

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Lab Questions?  (Read 2857 times)

Offline tednlou2

Lab Questions?
« on: October 29, 2010, 12:27:45 am »
I'm finding it hard to get answers to questions from my doc.  I'm wondering if any of you can help out.

What is the importance of Granulocyte %, Lymph %, and ABS Neutrophil?  My Granulocyte % is low at 27.0% with normal being 34-69.5%.  My Lymph % is high at 58.8% with normal being 20-53%.  My ABS Neutrophil is low at 1.4 with normal being 1.70-6.00. 

The other thing was my liver numbers.  Since getting labs, I've had 2 times where my liver numbers were either at the high end of normal or just above normal.  This was the case this time.  My AST was just slighty above normal at 59 with 50 being the top range.  I realize this is not a big deal.  However, I was just curious why this happens sometimes.  It seemed to start after beginning the bp med, but has also been normal on the low end, too.  Could taking my non-HIV meds right before doing bloodwork cause this to be elevated and they probably fall back to normal?  Again, I realize some have liver number sky high and this isn't a big deal--still I'm a curious person as to why our lab numbers do what they do.  I'm not worried over it.

Other than that, my HIV numbers basically were unchanged.  I did "man-up" as the tea-baggers like to say and looked at my labs.  Some of you will remember me saying I got my labs before my appt, but had been too afraid to look at them.  I looked at them.   

Offline tednlou2

Re: Lab Questions?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2010, 12:44:01 am »
Anyone?  Hello?  I'm kidding.   

Seriously, the only thing I've been able to find out is these numbers "probably reflect an increase in CD8 lymphocyte elevation due to HIV infection."  Just thought I'd add this for any readers, like myself, who are still learning what all these labs mean.

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2010, 07:50:36 am »
I'm finding it hard to get answers to questions from my doc.  I'm wondering if any of you can help out.

What is the importance of Granulocyte %, Lymph %, and ABS Neutrophil?  My Granulocyte % is low at 27.0% with normal being 34-69.5%.  My Lymph % is high at 58.8% with normal being 20-53%.  My ABS Neutrophil is low at 1.4 with normal being 1.70-6.00. 

The other thing was my liver numbers.  Since getting labs, I've had 2 times where my liver numbers were either at the high end of normal or just above normal.  This was the case this time.  My AST was just slighty above normal at 59 with 50 being the top range.  I realize this is not a big deal.  However, I was just curious why this happens sometimes.  It seemed to start after beginning the bp med, but has also been normal on the low end, too.  Could taking my non-HIV meds right before doing bloodwork cause this to be elevated and they probably fall back to normal?  Again, I realize some have liver number sky high and this isn't a big deal--still I'm a curious person as to why our lab numbers do what they do.  I'm not worried over it.

Other than that, my HIV numbers basically were unchanged.  I did "man-up" as the tea-baggers like to say and looked at my labs.  Some of you will remember me saying I got my labs before my appt, but had been too afraid to look at them.  I looked at them.   

Your doc is probably not saying much because there isn't much to say -- although, he/she SHOULD try and answer your questions.

As to your "flipped" granulocytes/lymphocyte percentages.  I would suspect you have some sort of a viral infection -- a cold perhaps.  Lympyhs tend to rise in reaction to viral infections.  Of course there are a whole host of things that could cause this, but that is the most likely.  If you have a decreased granuloycte%, then it is not at all unlikely to see a decreased ABS Neutrophil result.  Granulocytes and neutrophils are the same WBCs.

As to your liver enzymes -- who knows -- I would not spend any time worrying about transient "increases" in the range you describe.  Could be as simple as your personal "normal range" being on the high end of the lab's reference range.

Having a result above a reference range does NOT necessarily mean anything is wrong.  The range is based on a population, not an individual.  The ranges are geared to capture what 95% of the population used to establish it would expect to have if healthy.

Probably not all the satisfying an answer, but that is the best I can give you.

Mike

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2010, 10:45:50 pm »
Thanks Mike for the info.  About what you said about some infection or something going on....It was just pointed out to me that I gave the blood around the same time I had that mouth/fungal thing which I posted a pic here.  I had forgotten the timeline.  So, that very well could play a part.  It is good to have people help ya remember timelines. 

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.