Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:07:49 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 351
Total: 352

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: So long, Pope Benedict! Great knowing ya!  (Read 41238 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
Re: So long, Pope Benedict! Great knowing ya!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2013, 09:28:08 am »

At least we all get to be amused with the smoke coming out of the chimney soon.

Yes! Yes! I'm thinking about having a Conclave party!
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2013, 10:15:53 am »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Turkson

This Cardinal seems to be a mixed bag in regards to those who hope for a progressive Vatican.

He wants the church involved in reforming global finance to help address wealth distribution.  But seems too timid to modernise the Church about sex, contraception, disease prevention, etc.   (Well, we could also hope that once he's in power, he could change his tune....) 

The Vatican and "abstinence" seem to be chiseled-in-stone BFFs as much as the GOP and "trickle down economics".

And at the end of the day, does global capitalism need to listen to the advice of the Catholic Pope? Doubtful.  But a Pope could reform his own Church's murderously antiquated doctrine....   
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 10:20:36 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2013, 10:20:30 am »
I wonder what color(s) the smoke will be after the Conclave. 
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2013, 10:24:34 am »
Yes! Yes! I'm thinking about having a Conclave party!

I hope that Rick Santorum becomes the Pope -- or Scalia.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2013, 11:01:28 am »
I hope that Rick Santorum becomes the Pope -- or Scalia.

I think Marcus Bachman would be a nice fit for those Gucci slippers.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2013, 12:42:42 pm »
Best headline so far. "EX BENEDICT"

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2013, 12:44:51 pm »
Anyone ready for a black pope? He better have a birth certificate though, just in case.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 12:46:31 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline OneTampa

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2013, 01:47:59 pm »
Anyone ready for a black pope? He better have a birth certificate though, just in case.

Gasp!  Clutch the vestments!

Actually Ms. P. you are on point. A  black, latin or even asian pope are possibilities given the catholic faith representation in culturally diverse majority population countries:

http://www.prb.org/Articles/2005/TheChangingDemographicsofRomanCatholics.aspx

I wonder if there will be a new fashion line for the dalmatic, chasuble, cope and other accessories?
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 03:42:06 pm »

With a new Pope, the scandals would probably cease !  ::)

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 09:22:06 pm »
Perhaps it's time to just do away with the position.  Or, elect a pope, who runs around in regular clothes, and gets his hands dirty from actual dirt--building homes for the poor, walking dirt roads to visit the ill, instead of dirt from covering up sex abuse.  I didn't realize every sex abuse case came to him, in his prior position. 

And, I just don't think the baby Jebus would be okay with this:

Didn't Jesus say to give away all your possessions to those in need?  Turn the Vatican into a Five-Star hotel, and give the profits to charities. 

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 09:29:11 pm »
Maybe they will give the job to his brother Eggs .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline mecch

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 09:31:46 pm »
Online chatterers ask whether he's that sick, or if the sacking of Cardinal Mahony wasn't sufficient bloodletting. This Pope has a LOT of crime on his conscience.  Its not like the good ol days of Pius XII's failings during the Holocaust. Everybody can know everything now. 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 09:54:02 pm »
He's retiring to spend more time with his family.

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2013, 01:02:01 am »
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2013, 04:12:29 am »
Maybe they will give the job to his brother Eggs .

Heh... you mean my youngest cat? He was born two years ago on Easter Sunday and so was duly "christened" Eggs Benedict. Hey, you can't name a tom "bunny". He usually gets called by his nickname, Monster. He was the evillest kitten I've even known, so maybe he would be a good choice for poop Poop POPE darnit! Oh, and he's been known to molest his uncle Fred, so there's that in his favour as well. 

Ok, joking aside, I smell a Rat(zinger). This guy has been one of the most egotistical popes in recent history (witness his going for the gold where his wardrobe was concerned) and I can't really see him stepping down voluntarily. I think he was pushed, for whatever reason. Either that or he knows about some huge scandal that's going to break in coming months and he wanted to be well clear. I don't believe a word of this "too sick" crap. Too butt-ugly, maybe.

Didn't Jesus say to give away all your possessions to those in need?  Turn the Vatican into a Five-Star hotel, and give the profits to charities. 

That could work for all those obscene shopping mall inspired mega churches that are all the rage in the US these days too. Better yet, turn them into homeless shelters with on-site medical facilities. I think Baby Jebus would approve of that, don't you?
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2013, 09:24:18 am »
As a parting gift he could boot Cardinal Sodano (dean of College of Cardinals), who ranks right up there with Cardinal Mahoney in covering up the sex scandals.  I agree with Ann.  Something tells me there are some major issues that are going to come to light and Bendict wants to be as far from the papacy as he can get.

Joe

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2013, 09:36:41 am »
My dad converted us into the catholic church when I was about six .

After my brother and I were sprinkled the priest ask us did we have anything to ask or discuss . I looked up at him and said ... you wearin a purty dress .

My parents almost hyperventilated .   
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2013, 09:43:40 am »
I can't really see him stepping down voluntarily. I think he was pushed, for whatever reason. Either that or he knows about some huge scandal that's going to break in coming months and he wanted to be well clear. I don't believe a word of this "too sick" crap.

So conspiratorial my dear -- almost like reading a thread on an AIDS denialist web forum.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2013, 09:50:47 am »
and I can't really see him stepping down voluntarily. I think he was pushed, for whatever reason. Either that or he knows about some huge scandal that's going to break in coming months and he wanted to be well clear. I don't believe a word of this "too sick" crap. Too butt-ugly, maybe.

This was my immediate thought when the news first broke. Then when I heard that a Pope hasn't resigned since 1450...well something is amiss in the Vatican. He statement said he is too old, but heck as Popes go Papa Benny is like a spry teenager. Near the end of John Paul's reign they were holding his head up during his speeches, and propping him up with a stick in the Pope-Mobile.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:52:36 am by WillyWump »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline mitch777

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2013, 09:53:17 am »
did you here that someone took a photo of lightning striking the Vatican hours after his announcement?
33 years hiv+ with a curtsy.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2013, 09:54:39 am »
did you here that someone took a photo of lightning striking the Vatican hours after his announcement?

SEE! Jebus is not happy!
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline OneTampa

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2013, 10:28:32 am »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/lightning-bolt-hit-vatican-not-1705156

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 10:32:52 am by OneTampa »

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2013, 10:59:54 am »

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/lightning-bolt-hit-vatican-not-1705156

If those bolts were really from a Catholic god, the Vatican would have exploded like the Empire State Building in Independence Day.

Joe

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2013, 04:38:51 pm »
That could work for all those obscene shopping mall inspired mega churches that are all the rage in the US these days too. Better yet, turn them into homeless shelters with on-site medical facilities. I think Baby Jebus would approve of that, don't you?

Agreed!  There is a mega church here that is building very large satellite churches around town.  The main campus is huge.  The wedding chapel alone is bigger than many normal churches.  And, they own apartments for church goers to rent.  They ran commercials in support of a ban on marriage equality back in 2004. 

Oh, I was hearing that the pope cannot vote on his successor, because he is over the age of 80.  He is too senile to vote on a pope, but can be the pope.  Hmmm.

Offline Matts

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2013, 04:53:00 pm »
Dear Joseph Ratzinger, please go back to the bloody ultra-catholic Bavaria where you came from :) They will love you there. Not like here in the atheistic Prussia.

Anyway, the catholic church has trillions of dollars, alone some billions of estate in New York City. They could do more for the poor, p.e. in Africa; the Vatican has more power than the whole U.S.A.
I hope the new Pontifex Maximus has other views on AIDS and condoms than Benedict XVI.:)
I admit that he is really intellectual and has written some interesting books, but some of his opinions are from the middle ages.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 05:03:02 pm by Matts »
Dovato

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2013, 06:57:55 pm »
Does the Pope get to keep his threads or does he have to head out in flip flops and such and leave all his cast offs for his successor. Oh the work for tailors in the Vatican, taking it in here and letting it out there.

And the jewelry. Will they search Bentdick when he leaves to make sure none of the rings and things have somehow ended up in his purse?

Joan Rivers should do a Papal red carpet event for the election...
Andy Velez

Offline mitch777

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2013, 07:17:52 pm »
Does the Pope get to keep his threads or does he have to head out in flip flops and such and leave all his cast offs for his successor. Oh the work for tailors in the Vatican, taking it in here and letting it out there.

And the jewelry. Will they search Bentdick when he leaves to make sure none of the rings and things have somehow ended up in his purse?

Joan Rivers should do a Papal red carpet event for the election...
LMAO!
hmmm....
"Bentdick".... cute!
I  have really never "kept up" with ALL of the Catholic goings on but he always seemed kinda creepy and self-centered to me from afar.
(i have similar opinions of organized religion as a whole but also know that many some can see through all of the crapola and feel the bond of a community)

Offline mecch

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2013, 08:12:57 pm »
I understand that nothing material is the Pope's property, it's all the church's. So no, I don't think he gets to keep anything.
They say he will move into a cloister on site, and stay in seclusion for the rest of his life.
Curious, I tried yesterday to find an estimate of the church's wealth. And I am a pretty good searcher, came up with nothing.  The vatican bank IOR has been in scandal, these years, and can't keep a President.  The Bank of the Holy Spirit no longer exists :(.  Supposedly in the 60's and 70s' the Vatican was actually cash poor. Who knows....

Gawker did a piece on conspiracy theories as to why..
http://gawker.com/5983369/vatileaks-to-the-knights-templar-the-speculation-gossip-and-conspiracy-about-pope-benedicts-abdication?tag=vatican.t

I like the one that there is some old 12C prophecy about centuries of Popes to come, and after Benedict, the next one will be the last of all time.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 08:18:35 pm by mecch »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2013, 08:17:30 pm »
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline OneTampa

« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2013, 08:59:02 pm »
I tried yesterday to find an estimate of the church's wealth. And I am a pretty good searcher, came up with nothing.  The vatican bank IOR has been in scandal, these years, and can't keep a President.  The Bank of the Holy Spirit no longer exists :(.  Supposedly in the 60's and 70s' the Vatican was actually cash poor. Who knows....

Gawker did a piece on conspiracy theories as to why..
http://gawker.com/5983369/vatileaks-to-the-knights-templar-the-speculation-gossip-and-conspiracy-about-pope-benedicts-abdication?tag=vatican.t

I found a Time magazine summary from 1965:

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,833509,00.html

The following noted as 2001 reprint from Vatician report:

http://www.zenit.org/en/articles/economic-report-of-the-holy-see-for-2000
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 09:05:21 pm by OneTampa »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2013, 09:11:57 pm »

Aren't you the last person on this forum to make religious jokes? Or are you just one of those recidivist anti-Catholics that once threw rocks into cathedral windows, or worse rioted and burned them down? There's a long history of such things in Philadelphia bakc in the 1800's.

Then again, you mock me for being Jewish because of my nose.

Offline Jody

« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2013, 09:42:09 pm »
Re: Peter Turkson, the leading African candidate for the papacy...

www.bilerico.com

Turkson is so anti-gay that he actually defended draconian laws that criminalize homosexuality and gay sex, including Uganda's notorious "Kill the Gays" bill.
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2013, 10:44:48 pm »
But that's what makes Catholics so much fun -- the unbridled hatred of cocksucking.

Offline OneTampa

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2013, 07:08:35 pm »
Ash Wednesday...

::)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #35 on: February 13, 2013, 09:12:35 pm »
Ash Wednesday...

::)

Indeed! I spent all day at the Shrine of Saint Rita of Cascia (MERE BLOCKS AWAY... ACTUALLY JUST TWO BLOCKS!) in perpetual eucharistic adoration!

Offline mecch

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2013, 12:17:06 am »
Where did I read an article today, that explained how this Rat and Jean Paul only nominated socially conservative Cardinals? How all the pope wannabes are homo hating misogynists, and there's not a Rat's chance in hell that the church can confront its present and future challenges on these counts?

Offline Jody

« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2013, 12:21:05 am »
Indeed! I spent all day at the Shrine of Saint Rita of Cascia (MERE BLOCKS AWAY... ACTUALLY JUST TWO BLOCKS!) in perpetual eucharistic adoration!

Miss Philly will now observe lent by laying prostrate before a gigantic crucifix for the next 40 days and nights.  Tourists will begin to arrive in the aptly named city of brotherly love in droves to bear witness. ;)

Jody ;)
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2013, 05:06:08 pm »
***BREAKING NEWS***

Pope Benedict retired after inquiry into 'Vatican gay officials', says paper

(... JUST KNEW THERE WOULD BE A GAY TWIST TO ALL OF THIS!)

Offline mecch

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2013, 05:31:04 pm »
La Repubblica said some Vatican officials had been subject to "external influence" from laymen with whom they had links of a "worldly nature".

or this one...

In 2010 a chorister was dismissed for allegedly procuring male prostitutes for a papal gentleman-in-waiting.

Sounds like a Tennessee Williams play.

Offline OneTampa

« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2013, 07:11:31 pm »
***BREAKING NEWS***

Pope Benedict retired after inquiry into 'Vatican gay officials', says paper

(... JUST KNEW THERE WOULD BE A GAY TWIST TO ALL OF THIS!)

Figured.

Separately, isn't that a cute little Otter dunking the plastic ball in the pool noting in the sidebar article?  He good!

:D ;D

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2013, 09:00:32 pm »

Separately, isn't that a cute little Otter dunking the plastic ball in the pool noting in the sidebar article?  He good!

:D ;D

Oh he's adorbs! he even looks at the camera after he dunks it. :P
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2013, 01:58:26 pm »
 ;D

« Last Edit: February 23, 2013, 02:00:11 pm by J.R.E. »

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline OneTampa

« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2013, 03:46:03 pm »
;D

This comic strip from 2/22/2013 caught my eye:

;) ;)

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2013, 07:03:34 pm »
I'm starting to feel like I am in the largest gay bath house in the world.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2013, 05:48:27 am »

This didn't surprise me in the least yesterday when it was all over the news. O'Brien is the same guy who last week was spouting off about the priest marriage ban.

"Britain's most senior Catholic has suggested Catholic priests should be able to marry and have children, saying the demand for celibacy was not of "divine origin".

In one of the most significant breaks with Catholic orthodoxy, Cardinal Keith O'Brien said many priests found it "very difficult to cope" with the celibate life and suggested lifting that ban could soon happen in the wider church."

I guess when he said that many priest found it "very difficult to cope" with being celibate, he was speaking from experience. ::) Like many men, he had a difficult time keeping it in his pants robes.

I did predict there was a scandal brewing in the background, and the recent revelations of the past few days are likely only the tip of a very large iceberg.

Either that or he knows about some huge scandal that's going to break in coming months and he wanted to be well clear.

Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2013, 09:13:55 am »

and the Pope is the guy handing out the towels
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2013, 09:20:28 am »
After seeing the pic One Tampa posted ( That I loved ) I think we can refer to the Pope abdicating as Vera Wang Gate .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
HIV Testing
HIV TasP
HIV prevention
PEP and PrEP

Offline mitch777

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2013, 12:13:21 pm »

and one more for the road...

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2013, 12:29:22 pm »
The Archbishop of Saint Andrews and Edinburgh has just resigned and will skip conclave. That was quick!

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.