Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:28:45 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 391
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 315
Total: 316

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Shocking ignorance  (Read 10717 times)

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
Shocking ignorance
« on: June 22, 2006, 11:48:29 pm »
So I work at a hospital and the other day one of the substance abuse counselors, who has to have at least a bachelor's degree, starts talking about how she needs to move to New Mexico because that is where all the jobs are. I told her I had not heard about jobs in New Mexico and she said that everyone was talking about how jobs are going to New Mexico. I asked if she meant U.S. jobs are going to Mexico and she said yes. Then, completely serious, she asks me what the difference is between Mexico and New Mexico. I explain that Mexico is another country and New Mexico is a state. Then she asks where Mexico is located and wants to know if Cancun is in Mexico or New Mexico. The cherry on this little cake of geographic obliviousness was a different coworker who chimes in "Do we still have 50 states or have they added some?"

Offline Basquo

Re: Shocking ignorance
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2006, 11:55:28 pm »
"here's your sign..." :D

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2006, 02:54:36 am »
I took the opportunity in a Planning Counsil sub-committee that I was disabled for AIDS, not stupidity.  Is there funding for care of those whose minds have been touched by the Sun god?  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2006, 05:28:30 am »
Being Canadian, I've always heard that Americans are geographically ignorant. Guess I'll have to believe it now.

Oh, and you can tell her that Canada is that gigantic land directly to the North. Or maybe she would need help find "north" too . :-* LOL
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Offline doyourowndamndishes

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2006, 08:39:35 am »
LOL,

I too have experienced such blissfull ignorance.  Meeting people from Detroit while in Windsor, Ontario visiting old room mates from University, and these guys did not know that a) Where Ontario was, b) where Canada was and c) that Windsor was actually a part of a larger entity called Canada; they thought it was just a city on to itself.   Another time, during a major dry heat spell (45 degrees C) in July I had the fortunate chance to see license plates from the US (sorry, can't remember where) and the car actually had a family set of downhill skis on the roof rack. 

I know not everyone is geographically inclined; I'd sure fail tests if pressed but downhill skiing in July?!?!?  Come on people, what were you thinking?!?!?!

OY!

Cheers,

Alan

TGIFF!!!
"All that we are is theresult of what we have thought." -Buddha

Offline Consumed

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2006, 09:31:54 am »

All I can say is "HOLY SHIT!"

I don't think people should necessarily know every states capitols, especially coming from NY, we think New York- California and some tornado land between; but seriously, the states? I don't believe it how bad that is.
LYS

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2006, 09:56:17 am »
The sad thing is that this person is a Substance Abuse Counselor , and presumablly gives people advise on how to get their lives in order....I dont imagine any of her clients take her too seriously after catching her in a moronic lapse like the one mentioned. Does she know the difference between Crystal Lite and Crystal Meth ?  or the similarities between Oxycontin and Oxy Clean ?  In her mind is there a difference between Free Basing and Free Balling?? You could really blow her mind and ask her which is better: Panama Red, Mexican Brown, China White, or Alabama Black Snake....
Thank God she's not a sex ed. counselor....
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline bikerboy

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2006, 10:07:22 am »
I can remember seeing this video awhile ago... might make you laugh!

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2005/usa-invade-p1.php

Offline MoltenStorm

• Poz & Fabulous
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2006, 10:25:33 am »
Oh.
My.
God.

*holding his sides as the chair goes flailing across the room and he hits the floor in thunderous laughter*

Molten
(Who believes Intelligence to be a dying trait)
"Love is always patient and kind. It is never jealous. Love is never boastful nor conceited. It is never rude or selfish. It does not take offense and is not resentful. Love takes no pleasure in other people's sins, but delights in the truth. It is always ready to excuse, to trust, to hope, and to endure whatever comes." - 1 Corinthians 13:4-7, adaptation in A Walk To Remember

CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 7 Nov 2006
CD4: 555 / 29% / Undetectable - 5 Feb 2007

Offline dario

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2006, 10:42:39 am »
Tell her that there is an added reason why she should go South to Mexico.  The climate is changing and it will be the only habitable place to live because the rest of the northern hemisphere will become covered with ice.  The Rio Grande will freeze and she could walk on the ice.  Tell here also that Nostradamus predicted that a big earthquake will crack the world's crust and all the oil of Iran and Iraq will seep down below to the middle of the earth and be lost. (That is why Iran wants to develop nuclear power).   Then this lost petroleum will fuel the molten lava and explode through volcanoes.  The dust will cover the sky and we will be all extinct like the dinasours.  But there are UFOs hiding in temples of Aztec temples of Mexico ready to ship the very best humans out of planet earth when this disaster strikes.  (On the other side of the globe the UFOs are hidden in the pyramids of Egypt and in Stonehenge).
... when I was young, I never needed anyone, making love was just for fun, those days are gone ... Eric Carmen (Raspberries)

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2006, 10:49:11 am »
OMFG ! !
Does anybody else think it a good idea to PM  Matty, Matt, and Little Stevie, before we invade?
I simply cannot fathom that hese people all thought Australia was Iran!
That's just sad.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2006, 11:00:54 am »
Tell her that there is an added reason why she should go South to Mexico.  The climate is changing and it will be the only habitable place to live because the rest of the northern hemisphere will become covered with ice.  The Rio Grande will freeze and she could walk on the ice.  Tell here also that Nostradamus predicted that a big earthquake will crack the world's crust and all the oil of Iran and Iraq will seep down below to the middle of the earth and be lost. (That is why Iran wants to develop nuclear power).   Then this lost petroleum will fuel the molten lava and explode through volcanoes.

Too much info. Her head will explode, not the lava

Offline Moffie65

• Living POZ since 1983
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2006, 11:06:44 am »
Having lived in New Mexico for ten years; one of my favorite things was the section at the back of New Mexico Magazine that was dedicated to this exact thing.  It is called, "One of Our Fifty Is Missing".  Here is a link to that section, with a few more for your enjoyment.  GSO, I recommend you send them this story, and there is a link right on this page to send it in.

http://www.nmmagazine.com/FEATURES/50missing.html

Some of the favorites that stick out in my memory are questions like: "Do we need a current United States Passport to enter New Mexico, and how do we get visas for that visit?"

And of course the ever present questions about currency;  "What is the currency in New Mexico called, and what is the exchange rate currently?"

I cannot wait for Mark/Aztecan to chime in here and add his two cents.

In Love and Awe.
The Bible contains 6 admonishments to homosexuals,
and 362 to heterosexuals.
This doesn't mean that God doesn't love heterosexuals,
It's just that they need more supervision.
Lynn Lavne

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2006, 03:31:50 pm »
Ever so sorry,

I was laughing so hard yesterday, I almost peed my pants.  Today, I am still laughing so hard, I almost peed my pants.  I lived in Waikiki for 5 years, an American tourist asked me if it was OK to drink the water in that country.  I said yes, you can drink the water but try and avoid drinking water with the ice cubes.  Have the best day
Michael

www.Commission-on-AIDS.org

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2006, 10:44:25 pm »
Oh holy shit!  >:(

It is bad enough that the International Olympic Committee refused to sell a Santa Fe man tickets to the Atlanta games because they insisted he go through his consolate.

It is bad enough the U.S. Navy once sent a message to the secreatary of state asking what the currency exchange rate is here.

It is bad enough someone I knew in Koliformia asked me where Santa Fe, Arizona , was.

It's bad enough some people think Tex-Mex is real Mexican food. (They don't know from rellenos.)

But now some broad wants to come here to work! Is she nuts!?! I'll fix her. I'll sew a bag of Mexican brown into her bra and send her to Española. She won't last an hour.

Seriously, though. It is just sad. I know where the 50 states are, pretty much what they are known for and why or why not I would deign to visit there.

But, on the other hand, it does keep out the riff-raff. We just tell the undesirables they must produce their visas when they start talking about moving here.

Then there are those who move here and decide they want to change everything to be like it was in the places they left (most notably California, New York and Texas).

Here are a few pointers for those who come here and want to change everything:

NO - we don't sell soft pretzels here. We sell tamales and, yes, that was the mild one, you wimp.

NO - we don't have sushi bars on every corner. There are a few around, but remember, this is a landlocked state. Visit Shiprock and try the mutton stew. It really is quite tasty and a whole lot safer.

YES - this is an officially bi-lingual state. That is why your voter registration card, all of the ballots, legal documents and laws are written in both English and Spanish. Get over it, pendejo.

YES - our capitol building is round. It is shaped like a Native American kiva. You want a dome, go to Denver.

YES - they did explode the first atomic bomb here - in July 1945 at White Sands near Alamogordo. We didn't ask them to do it, they just did it. The last time I visited Trinity Site, as the spot is called, (make of that what you will) there was a van load of Japanese tourists also visiting the site. I didn't know whether to cry, apologize or hide.

YES - the Rio Grande runs through the center of the state. Those of you who laugh when you see it will be asked to cross it - barefoot. We promise not to let you sink completely under the quick sand.

NO - El Paso isn't part of New Mexico. It is part of the bushlands of Texas. They can keep it. It's ugly.

YES - Santa Fe has been a continuously occupied capital for nerarly 400 years. Albuquerque is right now celebrating its tricentennial. They started settling in the Rio Grande valleny in 1540. Well, they called it settling, the locals called it stealing. They already had their cities, farms and lifestyles all settled. They really didn't need any help. Of course, nobody asked them.

NO - New Mexico Hispanics are not Mexicans. Say that to their faces and you're in for a fight. They have been here for hundreds of years, occupying land grants given them by the king of Spain when Mexico was still a province of that European fiefdom and, under the treaty of Guadalupe Hidalgo, still recognized to this day.

YES - we have many different Native American tribes in this state. The Sky City of Acoma, famous for its pottery, is here. So is about a generous third of the Navajo Nation, which has a population of 250,000 and growing - rapidly. We also have Apaches, Utes and others.

NO - they don't wear war paint or live in teepees. Teepees were used by plains Indians. The folks here lived in cities made of either adobe or stone. Some lived in single dwellings called hogans (emphasis on the second syllable.)

NO - don't walk up to them, raise your right hand and say "how." They speak English, for the most part. (Some of the veeery old elders still don't, but that's really rare.)

YES - some foreigners have managed to come to the realization that New Mexico is here - you know, the people from "elsewhere." Georgia O'Keefe is one such person. Odd lady, but a good painter.

YES - foreign species have been brought here to be preserved because in their homelands they were being wiped out. Oryx, Iranian sheep, Kudu, among others. Of course, now we don't know what to do with them. They have become so comfortable here they are overpopulating and there are organized hunts to thin the herds and keep them from crowding out the native species, much as we do with the wild horses and burros. (Burro is tasty, so is horse and oryx. Just an FYI).

NO NO NO! - saguarro cactus don't live in New Mexico. They live in Arizona. New Mexico is a high desert (much of the state is at least a mile above sea level.) Arizona is about half high and half low desert, which explains the politics there.

YES - we love the outdoors here. We just don't do it in the middle of the day during the summer. We leave that to the tourists who arrive pale and ashen and leave pink and very, very sore.

YES - we put green chile in or on everything. Even McDonald's offers it on their burgers. Without chile, there is no life.

Here is a link:

http://www.newmexico.org/index2.php

Now, enough about New Mexico. I want to know when we are going to invade Australia! I want to ensure that MtD, Matt and Steve are given safe passage to New Mexico, where they will be safe.

DAMN, just think, those people probably vote!

YIKES!

Mark
« Last Edit: June 23, 2006, 11:03:45 pm by aztecan »
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2006, 08:49:29 am »
You guys are funny so why is Windsor Castle in England? Was that a gift to the people of England? My friend sent me a fill in map of the US and happy to say I know where every state belongs. by as close to twenty miles. Actually in trivia pursuit geography was my strong point.

Mark everyone I know from NM says the food is bitchin'- now I am hungry.  I love good Mexican food which is sorely lacking in NY. We have an old lady here in Queens who makes a great tamales. I prefer the Mexican ones over the Columbian ones.

Johny whose been to both Canada and Windsor Castle, but just not at the same time.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2006, 08:56:27 am by alisenjafi »
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline Biggums

« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2006, 10:49:11 am »
Pretty funny stuff.  As my dad always told me, "You can't fix stupid."
44 year old gay man .......just broke up with the only man I've ever really loved.

You can love completely without complete understanding.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2006, 11:26:34 am »
This would really be funny, if it wasn't so damn depressing.  Granted you don't have to be able to pinpoint every country on a globe, but your own country and states?

On Judge Judy the other day, she made the comment: "There are idiots all around us, just look at every third person and they are an idiot."  I'm beginning to think that estimate is too low.

Offline BB

« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2006, 11:46:56 am »
When I was in the first grade I thought "c" and "s" were the same and interchangeable.

So, for the poor college grad, Mexico or New Mexico, same same! Good enough!?

But wait, I thought real Tex-Mex was only served on the border of Mexico and Texas!

bb
Damn the Torpedoes! Full speed ahead! Adm. D. Farragut.

Started Atripla 8/18/06 and if I eat the right food when I take my meds, I get to go on a-trip-la.

Offline DanielMark

« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2006, 01:37:33 pm »
Canada - US relations. Who knew?  ;D LOL

Rick Mercer, co-host of the irreverent CBC news satire This Hour Has 22 Minutes ... reveals how little Americans know about Canada in a series of segments called Talking to Americans.

Watch the video clips here: http://home.comcast.net/~wwwstephen/americans/

DID YOU KNOW that a Canadian company has the mining rights to the beloved American national monument Mount Rushmore? It's true! (0:49 | 817KB)

DID YOU KNOW that the capitol building of Canada is a big ass Igloo? Arkansas Governor Michael Huckabee did! (1:21 | 1,345KB)

DID YOU KNOW that a Canadian minute is actually longer than an American minute due to a strange anomaly in the space-time continuum? Iowa Governor Thomas Vilsack did! (1:15 | 1,281KB)

DID YOU KNOW that Canada has a five dollar coin affectionately known as "The Woody"? It's true! (0:23 | 401KB)

DID YOU KNOW that Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien spends a ridiculous amount of his time declaring holidays after American celebrities? American Celebrity Jerry Springer did! (0:44 | 747KB)

DID YOU KNOW that Canada only has, like, 11 states, which is why they totally leach off of the US, which has, like, 50 of them? It's true! (0:49 | 821KB)

DID YOU KNOW that the capital of Canada recently relocated from Ottawa to Toronto? Former Vice-President Al Gore did! (1:34 | 1,693KB)

DID YOU KNOW that the name of Canadian Prime Minister Jean Chrétien is pronounced exactly the same as the Canadian dish poutine? United States President George W. Bush does now! (2:06 | 2,373KB)
MEDS: REYATAZ & KIVEXA (SINCE AUG 2008)

MAY 2000 LAB RESULTS: CD4 678
VL STILL UNDETECTABLE

DIAGNOSED IN 1988

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.