Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:10:47 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37652
  • Latest: Han2024
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773288
  • Total Topics: 66348
  • Online Today: 651
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 639
Total: 640

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Weight Question  (Read 3015 times)

Offline RobbyR

Weight Question
« on: April 02, 2014, 01:39:46 pm »
Just wondering, I know weight re-distribution is common for poz people, & a side effect of meds. I have always been tall & skinny, it's just the way I'm built. Most guys in my family are the same. So it's always been harder for me to keep weight on than to lose it. I've been on Atripla for 4 years, with great success. For about the first 3, I rapidly put on weight.  When I went on meds, I was really thin about 135-140 pounds, and 5'11. Within a couple years, I was up to 170. I also began addressing my mental health issues, I realized that being bipolar for so many years, I was having major manic periods and not realizing them, which caused me to take less than good care of myself.

When I started meds, my viral load was 27,000 not horrendous, & I never had full-blown aids..So long story short, within a few years of being on meds, I put weight on for first time In my life. Last fall, I got a pesky anal fissure, which caused me to have to modify my diet somewhat & I lost some, I am now around 163-166 pounds. I'm okay with that, my heaviest was 174 pounds. So I've lost about 10 pounds in the last six months or so & most of that was belly fat, which is where I always seem to gain.

I am one of those that even when I put weight on it doesn't show because it tends to be in my belly. And not much muscle. I've tried lifting weights, I drink Boost drinks constantly, & muscle milk, & eat high calorie foods, ice cream, Chinese food, pizza, fried chicken, etc but when I put weight on it's only in my belly & not too much muscle. Is this just genetics? Or could taking testosterone maybe help this?

My next appointment with my hiv doc is in two weeks I am going to ask her about this. My fissure is somewhat better now, & I am overall happy with being 165 pounds, it seems to be a good weight for me & I have been stuck at it for the last few months. But I really want to gain some muscle but can't seem to. Any ideas? I don't necessarily want to be any heavier than I am now, I'd just like to gain some muscle. Could testosterone injections or cream be a solution for a tall lanky guy like me? Thanks for any suggestions!
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline AusShep

Re: Weight Question
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2014, 02:04:06 pm »
Sounds like mostly genetics.  Testosterone has at most a 2-3 kg impact on body fat outside of diet and exercise.  I doubt a Dr would prescribe it outside of a need due to low testosterone, bone density, or wasting.  Try more high protein low carb instead of high fat ice cream, pizza, fried chicken, Chinese food...

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2014, 02:42:40 pm »
Aren,t you meant to lift things?
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Bizkits

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2014, 02:47:51 pm »
RobbyR,

It sounds like you're consuming a very high-fat, high-calorie diet.  In a nutshell, especially as we age, your body tends to re-distribute fat. Mostly to your mid-section. It continues to grow as this is the area which generally contains the greatest fat stores as well as tissue space and visceral fat. Why are you drinking ensure? Do you not get enough calories elsewhere in your diet? What other symptoms are you having that is leading you to think you may have low testosterone? You can always have your level checked by your doctor. It however is not easily prescribed as it has it's own risks and indications. There's a pretty strict process to follow as well to get it.  (On a personal note, my brother has always been as you describe yourself...tall and skinny...I was always the one whose ass would jiggle if I even smelled a piece of pizza...anyway, he's got a spare tire now from years of beer, bbq and potatoes hehe).

Seriously, though from a gerneral health perspective, it wouldn't be a bad idea to look at your diet and try to start slowly modifying it. Do you exercise or work out? If so what's your caloric intake vs burn? I don't know enough about hiv meds to factor those in to weight/muscle re-distribution or how they effect your weight and metabolism. This is just in general. It's difficult to lose the "wrong" weight and gain the "right" weight, which is what it sounds like you're trying to accomplish. Have you spoken with a nutritionist? It's not ALL diet necessarily as well.

Offline AusShep

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2014, 02:56:22 pm »
Aren,t you meant to lift things?

Yes you are. 

But D&E with testosterone is better than D&E or testosterone alone for those that need it.  When I read up before starting testosterone, I think T alone could contribute a loss of around 2 something Kg of fat and increase lean body mass 1 something Kg, it has a slight positive effect on overall body composition, which is probably where some of the T turns fat to muscle, or if you stop working out your muscle turns to fat misnomers come from.

Robbie's diet looked more high fat, high carb than high protein which is more helpful for putting on lean body mass, and lower carbs lower fat is usually helpful for losing fat.

Offline RobbyR

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2014, 03:02:54 pm »
I do plan on talking with a nutritionist. I do curls and such, basic weight lifting within my ability. Part of it is genetics, I just have that tall lanky build, always have. So even though I weigh around 165, I look slim because I'm just built tall & lean like Abraham Lincoln lol.

And yes when I gain, it always is in my belly. My dad is the same way. Exactly. I'd like to build up muscles in my arms, but not sure if that's possible given my genes. I drink a ton of Boost protein drinks, maybe I need to try leaner proteins. I've tried the high calorie high fat diet & all that gets me is belly fat & no muscle anywhere where I want it.

Like I said, I accept that genes are a large part of it probably, if I could built a small but of muscle in my arms I'd be happy.

As for testosterone, I don't think I'm low, my libido is HUGE, & my energy level is pretty good. I just wondered if it might help me build muscle mass.

I def plan on asking my doctor.
"I survived because I was tougher than anybody else".--Bette Davis

Atripla
2010-2015

Stribild
2015-2016

Genvoya
2016-

Offline harleymc

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 03:08:51 am »
At 165 lbs and 5'11" you're in healthy body weight, you are not skinny.

If you want to use exercise to change your body shape that's fine talk to an exercise consultant / trainer but your body weight is normal.

Normal weight for this height is 133 - 179 lb (60 - 81 kg)
Height:   5'11" (180 cm)
Weight:   165 lb (75 kg)
BMI:   23.01
Weight catagory:   Normal weight

Offline zach

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 04:36:52 am »
reading your other threads, i believe the issue is more body image dismorphia than anything else. its not your meds, its not lipodystrophy, let go of that thinking. its not even a problem man, you're normal, you're a normal guy, you look fine man.

no legit Dr is going to hook you up with test or steroids because you want to bulk up. make reasonable measured changes to your diet, exercise to lose the bad weight, work out and lift to gain the good muscle mass.

in this thread you went from blaming meds, to saying its genetics and you're built exactly like your father. both can't be true, and its not the meds. just no.

also in this thread, 15 days ago, you say you have begun addressing your mental health issues. this is far more important than your weight right now. what steps have you taken in those two weeks to seek mental health care? please robby, talk honestly to a doctor about your emotional state. you're not seeing it, but this body image problem is directly related. your meds are not to blame for your weight. but they may well be to blame for your other thoughts you're dealing with. your unwillingness to see that, or to talk to a doctorhonestly and completely about all your thoughts and problems, is frightening.

you've also said you don't have any friends. you do. all of us. i'd like to believe i'm your friend. i hope you feel the same way.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.