Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:44:27 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 215
Total: 216

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Just tested pos  (Read 5227 times)

Offline Midwestnew

• Vroom!! Vroom!!!
Just tested pos
« on: November 16, 2013, 02:16:58 pm »
I just tested pos. it is what it is. I never felt mad or anything just wanted info on my sex life and my career. I am a police officer looking for a new job any cops out there that could help or give me some info

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
Re: Just tested pos
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2013, 02:25:09 pm »
Welcome to the forum . Your poll cracked me up .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Midwestnew

• Vroom!! Vroom!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2013, 02:34:18 pm »
I don't even know what a poll is lol

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2013, 02:37:13 pm »
I don't even know what a poll is lol

Its that thing you created to ask the questions that says Poll the top of the page .
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline Midwestnew

• Vroom!! Vroom!!!
Police Officer Needs Answers
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2013, 04:22:48 pm »
I am a 24 year old gay male that just tested positive for HIV.  I would say I obtained HIV in the last 1 1/2- 2 months.  I did what I did and I can't take it back.  Basically I was informed by the state and they did the 15 min test on me and it was positive.  I am currently waiting on the test that takes approx. 7-10 days.  Anywho I already know the answer to the other test.  I am looking for basic information on where to go from here?  If you could please let me know that would be great.  Also I am a Police Officer seeking a new job.  If there are any Police Officer or anyone in that field that would help me out I give u a big ole hug!  Is it difficult to get a new Police Officer Job being HIV POZ?  I know they can't discriminate against that, but they have there ways around that.  Like when you start filling out the insurance information one way or another you have to say your HIV POZ.  If you lie and they find out, which they will that will be grounds for termination.  Then if you say you are POZ the insurance company will not want them to hire you of course, coasting them an ass load of money.  I know people that know people and insurance company and the employer talk before someone is hired.  Just need some info on that please.  Also I thought I would be more scared and nervous and all the other emotions, but I am actually handling it pretty well.  I have been looking for jobs dealing with HIV prevention and in that general area, but no luck with a Law Enforcement Degree.

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 12:02:19 am »
Midwest,

Welcome to the forums.  I hope, by some chance, your confirmation test will come back neg.  If not, this is a great site for support.  You must have somehow accidentally created a poll.  At the top of your first post, you'll see it there.  No big deal.  I, too, thought you were showing a side of your humorous side. 

Anyway, I think there is/was a current or former police officer here.  Others will know whether I am remembering that right.  They cannot discriminate against you.  Well, at least not legally.  You're right any employer can find ways not to hire someone.  But, usually a person is hired and then insurance info is done at a later time.  Many employers won't give you insurance until a certain amount of time--90 days for many.  But, many do offer it right away.  But, you would obviously be hired first and then the insurance paperwork done. 

And, now, preexisting conditions are a thing of the past, so they shouldn't be asking that anyway.  And, they certainly shouldn't be sharing any medical info with your employer.  This article about poz police officers (see link below) says no one has to tell their employer.  I did think surgeons were compelled to disclose, but that's getting off track and that even may be incorrect.  Others here will know the HIV laws better, even when it comes to police officers.  This article discusses fears poz officers have with others finding out, but it discusses how some police departments say it is no big deal and poz officers aren't treated differently. 

I don't think any department would know your status, first of all.  If they did somehow find out, then I guess it depends on where you seek employment.  And, I'm not talking north vs south states.  You have ignorant people everywhere.  I don't think a police department has the legal right to know your status, though.  And, again, you would be hired before insurance papers are done and they can't ask about preexisting conditions anymore.  So, I would start sending in those resumes. 

Keep in touch,

Ted

http://www.nytimes.com/2000/08/02/nyregion/silent-fraternity-police-officers-with-hiv-many-fearing-ostracism-hide-their.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.