Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 22, 2024, 06:57:12 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773263
  • Total Topics: 66345
  • Online Today: 185
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 114
Total: 115

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Body Cleansing and Detoxifying  (Read 4262 times)

Offline voyager71

Body Cleansing and Detoxifying
« on: December 26, 2006, 02:05:02 am »
Hello everyone. I am new to this site and have tosay that there is a wealth of information on here. I just started meds 3 weeks ago, I am taking Atripla and so far things are "starting" to settle down. I was put on meds when my T-Cells were at 583 and my Viral load was ay 202,000. I go back to my Doc on1/16/07 to get my resuytls to see if the meds are working.
What my question is, if anyone can help me out. Has anyone ever used a body detoxifying system? I bought an over the counter one from Walmart called Whole Body Cleanse by Enzymatic Therapy. It is a 2 week prgram that I have not started as of yet, not sure if it will interefere with my Meds or if it will help the absorbption. I have a few friends that are poz and they detoxify 1 a month -  does anyone know the benefits of this?

Re: Body Cleansing and Detoxifying
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2006, 03:17:39 am »
Your question could generate more responses if it was in the "living with" or "Nutrition & HIV" forum. Having said that, some of the body cleansing kits are based on herbal laxative concepts like milk thistle and there is supporting evidence that some herbal remedies may interfere with HIV medication.

Since you are checking in with your doctor in early January a better suggestion would be to discuss this issue during your appointment, paticularly since things are just starting to settle down on your first combo.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2006, 03:31:30 am by 411 »

Offline poet

• Poet living and working in Central Maine
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2006, 08:58:31 am »
I agree.  From my own mental health medication training, any supplement, over-the-counter, prescription or other substance needs a doctor's order, in our case, or at least a doctor's awareness in case it is counter indicative with the hiv meds or could increase or decrease their effects.  Even if this were not the case, I wouldn't try purging/cleaning the internal system without allowing time for the absorbtion of medications which again leads back to your hcp.  Win
Winthrop Smith has published three collections of poetry: Ghetto: From The First Five; The Weigh-In: Collected Poems; Skin Check: New York Poems.  The last was published in December 2006.  He has a work-in-progress underway titled Starting Positions.

Offline blondbeauty

« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2006, 10:51:49 am »
Meds should remain in your body 24 hours a day to stop HIV virus from replicating or creating resistance so they shouldn't be cleaned or washed away. Remember HIV meds block certain enzymes from the HIV virus. Maybe that supplement can interfere with them.
Atripla is very well tolerated and I don't think is going to damage your body, so I wouldn't recommend you taking that strange supplement.
Juan
The only member in these forums approved by WINBA: World International Nail and Beauty Association.
Epstein Barr +; CMV +; Toxoplasmosis +; HIV-1 +.
Counts when starting treatment:
V.L.:80.200 copies. CD4: 25%=503
Started Sustiva-Truvada 14/August/2006
Last V.L.count (Oct 2013): Undetectable
Last CD4 count (OCT 2013): 52%= 933

Offline Cliff

« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2006, 11:01:34 am »
I would find out what's in the product and know exactly how it will "detoxify" your body before using it.  Maybe I'm a cynic, but I usually don't believe in these detox gimmicks. I think most are usually harmless, but a waste a money cause they don't do anything for you.

I searched the internet and it looks like the product you mention is mainly fiber, milk thistle and a laxative.  I can't see how that will detox your body anymore than simply consuming vegetables and a higher fiber content diet.  The laxative bit may not be beneficial if it dehydrates you.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.