Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:53:12 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 222
Total: 223

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Welcome to Do I Have HIV?

Welcome to the "Do I Have HIV?" POZ forum.

This special section of the POZ forum is for individuals who have concerns about whether or not they are HIV positive. Individuals are permitted to post up to three questions or responses in this forum.

Ongoing participation in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum (posting more than three questions or responses) requires a paid subscription, with secure payments made via PayPal.

A seven-day subscription is $9.99, a 30-day subscription is $14.99 and a 90-day subscription is $24.99.

Anyone who needs to post more than three messages in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum -- including past, present and future POZ Forums members -- will need to subscribe, with secure payments made via PayPal.

There is no charge to read threads in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum, nor will there be a charge for participating in any of the other POZ forums. In addition, the POZ Basics "HIV Transmission and Risks" and "HIV Testing" basics, will remain accessible to all.

NOTE: HIV testing questions will still need to be posted in the "Do I Have HIV?" forum; attempts to post HIV symptoms or testing questions in any other forums will be considered violations of our rules of membership and subject to time-outs and permanent bans.

To learn how to upgrade your Forums account to participate beyond three posts in the "Do I Have HIV?" Forum, please click here.

Thank you for your understanding and future support of the best online support service for people living with, affected by and at risk for HIV.

Author Topic: How much do meds costs?  (Read 10413 times)

Offline toyoungtodie21

How much do meds costs?
« on: January 04, 2007, 12:20:36 am »
college student here... I have done a few things I regret, but something recently has been bothering me. I have been having sex with this guy for a few weeks now. It's been going well, but recently he told me that he had cancer and that it was from having a weak immune system. He said it was hereditary but I'm afraid he might be HIV+ I am getting tested in a few days but even if I'm negative now, I might already be infected if he has it. He is a nice guy, I don't see how someone could knowingly give someone else HIV on purpose, that is just wrong. What should I do? I'm too young to die!

Offline RapidRod

Re: Young and stupid....
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2007, 02:23:21 am »
Don't assume anything. You don't know if the person has HIV or not. Just because he has cancer doesn't make it, he's hiv positive.

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2007, 04:16:12 am »
You don't report if it is unprotected or not but if it is unprotected then getting tested now then again at 13 weeks from the last time you had unprotected intercourse is necessary to determine your own status.

Your personal health is your responsibility, not some other person's and you need to come to grips with that. Inferring someone else's sexual health on the basis of what they say is not sufficient. The only really effective way to stay safe is to use condoms consistently for at least 3 months, get tested, and keep using them until such time that the relationship has matured enough so that both of you are committed to not having unprotected sex outside the relationship.

Don't presume anything from your partners statement. Get tested and go forward from there. If it's been unprotected intercourse then get tested again after 13 weeks has elapsed.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2007, 07:19:20 am »
too,

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline toyoungtodie21

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2007, 02:57:48 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. I have learned from my mistakes. Weather the test results come back negative or positive this has defenitly made me more aware of the dangers of sex. It seems fun and harmless at first but afterwards its just not worth it. Man, it seems like the stress from not knowing is enough to kill you. lol. 

Offline toyoungtodie21

Gooey white stuff in my mouth...
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2007, 12:35:58 am »
Lately I've been finding this gooey white substance forming in my mouth in the mornings. It forms around my gums and the side of my mouth... is this HIV or STD related at all? It almost looks like semen. I don't know what it's from, this never used to happen. I take creatine monohydrate w/ water in the morning to build muscle so I thought that might be what it is, but sometimes it forms even if I don't take it. Anyone know about this?  :'(

Offline RapidRod

Re: Gooey white stuff in my mouth...
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2007, 05:25:10 am »
What risks have you had in reference to HIV?

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2007, 05:33:13 am »
I had to scroll down to find out why you are asking this--you are supposed to keep it all in one thread.  You had unprotected sex with a guy.  Well, you never really said either way, but I am assuming by your tirade you had unprotected sex.  You need to test for HIV out to 3 months to have a definitive test.  Other STIs are much easier to get than HIV, you need to go for a full screen of those as well.  As for your symptoms, I'm not even gonna speculate on that over the internet.  Symptoms have nothing to do with HIV and if you are worried about a particular symptom, go see a doctor who can diagnose you face-to-face.
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2007, 06:11:19 am »
tooyoung,

I've merged your new thread into your original thread - where you should post all your additional thoughts or questions. It helps us to help you when you keep all your additional thoughts or questions in one thread.

If you need help finding your thread when you come here, click on the "Show own posts" link under your name in the left-hand column of any forum page.

Please also read through the Welcome Thread so you can familiarize yourself with our Forum Posting Guidelines. Thank you for your cooperation.

If something about your mouth is worrying you, you need to go see a doctor or dentist about that. What you're describing isn't specific to hiv.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

2young2die

How much do meds costs?
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 12:15:46 am »
I am almost certain that I am HIV positive. I was tested last week and the results were negative but I just found out today that my ex-boyfriend is HIV + and he didn't tell me.

My main concern is, how much is this going to cost me? I've read things online but I don't know how accurate they are so I was wandering if there's anyone out there that knows for sure. I heard it was like $1500 a mth. I don't even think I make that much in a month! I don't even have medical insurance and I don't know if that covers the cost at all.

If there's anyone that is on meds, can u please tell me what this would costs and if there's any help or source of info I can aquire so I can be prepared when I find out that I am positive.

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: How much do meds costs?
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2007, 12:19:46 am »
Each state has an AIDS Drug Assistance Program (ADAP) though income levels to qualify vary depending on where you live.  IF you test positive, and so far you have not, you will go to a local AIDS Service Organization (ASO) and they will provide information on how to tap into this, etc.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

2young2die

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2007, 12:55:43 am »
Thanks man. I hope I qualify... I am a poor boy.

Offline AustinWesley

• HIV Discussion Group on Myspace!
« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2007, 01:08:08 am »
I am almost certain that I am HIV positive. I was tested last week and the results were negative but I just found out today that my ex-boyfriend is HIV + and he didn't tell me.

My main concern is, how much is this going to cost me? I've read things online but I don't know how accurate they are so I was wandering if there's anyone out there that knows for sure. I heard it was like $1500 a mth. I don't even think I make that much in a month! I don't even have medical insurance and I don't know if that covers the cost at all.

If there's anyone that is on meds, can u please tell me what this would costs and if there's any help or source of info I can aquire so I can be prepared when I find out that I am positive.

Hey 2 Young,

I'm sorry to hear about the obvious stress you are under.   If you have tested negative already you could very likely test negative and be fine.    I know guys that have been in relationships with mixed status for a decade and the other partner never got it.   I'm glad you are getting tested and know the stress you are under.

There are drug assistance programs available.   Depending on how much you make and what state you live in will determine what portion you may be liable in the event that you did test positive.

I don't know where you live, but see if you can get the 20 minute tests so you don't have the anxiety of waiting 2 weeks for results.   I am actually positive of course, but I'd been in your situation years ago and I was as scared as you are and didn't end up positive.   

Hang in there, keep getting tested for a good 8-12 weeks after the last potential encounter.   If you end up negative then make sure you don't risk it again.   That was a long time ago for me and unfortunately I let my judgement lapse a year ago.

I've got my fingers crossed for ya, but if you do test positive it's not the end of the world.    Don't jump the gun cause you may have just gotten a wake up call and dodged the bullet!
Diag. 3/06  Infected aprx. 2 mo. Prior
Date        CD4   %      VL
4/6/06     627    32    36,500     NO MEDS YET!
6/7/06     409    27    36,100
8/23/06   408    25     22,300
1/2/07     354    23     28,700
2/9/07     139    30     23,000  Hep A Vaccine same day???
2/21/07   274    26     18,500 
3/3/07    RX of Truvada/Sustiva Started.
4/5/07    321     27      Undectable 1st mo.  
5/16/07  383     28    Undectable 2nd mo.
8/10/07  422     32   UD <48 on new scale!

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2007, 07:05:19 am »
Your test that was negative--how long post exposure was this?  Test out to 3 months past your last unprotected intercourse for a definitive HIV result.  Luckily HIV is not an easy thing to transmit, so while you are not out of the woods until 3 months, the odds are also very good for a negative result.  Luckily HIV transmission isn't 100%.  So lets find out your HIV status first.  HOpefully you will never have to worry about this issue!
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline siongi

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2007, 07:46:05 am »
You need not to worry about medication if you haven't tested positive yet.So let us know when you finalize with the tests then embark on the next step.Meanwhile, if you have tested positive on the first test, then the odds are that you are most likely to test negative again.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2007, 09:24:24 am »

2young,

Don't worry about crossing that bridge of stress unless/until you have to.  Get tested again at 13 weeks past your last risky exposure and if it's negative congrats.  If it turns out that you are positive just be aware there are programs that can help you with medical treatment and medicines.

I hope everything works out for you and I hope you continue to test negative.  If you do let this scare be a lesson.

Thomas
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Lisa

• Formerly known as sweetieweasel/Joined Nov. 2004
    • http://www.myspace.com/lisanowak58
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2007, 09:53:22 am »
The cost of meds is astronomical, but you should be more concerned about testing reliably positive before getting worried over the cost of meds.
13 weeks past your most recent unprotected exposure is the appropriate time frame. If you test positive, then we will worry about the cost.
No Fear  No Shame  No Stigma
Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you have.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2007, 11:44:32 am »
2Young, while I appreciate your concern, you have not thus far tested positive and hopefully you won't.

So for now you need to stay out of the LIVING WITH HIV section and stick to this part of the Forums.

Your first negative result is encouraging. I am assuming you had unprotected intercourse with your ex-boyfriend although you don't say so. To get a reliable result you should test at 13 weeks past the most recently unprotected intercourse.

Make sure that anyone you are with now or in the future always uses a condom when you have intercourse. No exceptions. It doesn't matter what you think you know about someone's history or how great he looks, a condom is a must. Only when you are in a securely monogamous relationship in which both partners have tested negative together can you consider giving up using condoms.

Read the lessons on transmission and testing if you haven't already done so. There's a link to them in the Welcome thread which opens this section.

Good luck with your test result and keep us posted.
Andy Velez

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2007, 03:46:07 pm »
Can I ask why you are using different usernames while posting to our forums? Thus far, you have also used toyoungtodie21

Please realize that this kind of activity is disrespectful of other forum members, as well as our moderators. People spend a considerable amount of time helping others in these forums. Using multiple accounts is at the very least annoying, if not deceiving and disrespectful of others. It is also against our Terms of Membership which you agreed to when you became a member. This information is also contained within the Welcome Thread, which you should have read by now. So really, you have no excuse.

You must realize that the answers won't change, no matter how many names you post under.

I would appreciate a reply to this message, and I hope you will commit to using just one account - preferably your original one. If not, you will be banned from further access to the forums.

And make sure you read the Welcome Thread - and learn to abide by our posting guidelines or you're outta here.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

2young2die

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2007, 02:10:18 pm »
Ann, I'm sorry for disrespecting. I forgot my old name... I thought it was toyoungtodie... forgot about the 21 so I made a new one. I'm so sorry. But I like this one better so if I can keep it and stay here I would appreciate it.. I didnt mean to disrespect.

First, I want to thank all of you for the positive feedback. Yes, I did have unprotected sex with me ex whom I know now (not at the time) is HIV positive about a month ago. I have had no symptoms and I've taken 2 test... one blood, one saliva. I am going back in a few weeks for another. When I first found out he was infected I freaked out and I told myself I had it so that's why I asked about the cost of meds, since that would be my first priority.

My new concern (after calming down) is: What if I know this person is with alot of people (and I mean alot) and tells them he is clean. Yes, I know it is a risk they take, one that I took so it is our fault as well, but I have proof that this person is trying to infect others that are clean who don't want to get infected. I feel that he needs to be stopped. Should I try to do something about it or just keep my mouth shut.  Should I warn others about him?  My morals tell me I should do something so he doesnt do this to anyone else. I would appreciate any feedback.

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #20 on: February 02, 2007, 02:55:47 pm »
Hey 2Young,

Chances are if he tested positive then the Health Dept. would already have him on record (which means nothing) from my own personal experience.

I feel strongly as you do.  My case was much different because the individual kept denying he had it.   It took 3 weeks to get the truth out of him and yeah he still lies to people to this day.   

I can only tell you that I pursued it until I got finally a half assed admission.  By that point, I'd let 2 of our mutual friends know.  One was his prior girlfriend years before and she ultimately got tested herself and was negative so now she believes his lies.   The other was a friend I was concerned was at risk.    The situation spiraled out of control and the one who infected me went berzerk.    I turned him into the Health Dept. as well.   

He ended up making threats against my life.  Not like I cared, but while dealing with the trauma that was the last thing I needed.   I confronted him a month later in public after he grabbed me at a club when I was with my new boyfriend.  Since he's on the down low when I fired my threats to plaster his face and name all over town and call his family up he agreed to stay the Hell away from me and my friends.   We agreed to just drop it and have zero contact, but to this day he's out at the clubs with men and women doing just what your talking about and there is nothing I can do.

Would I do the same thing again?  Probably.   I'd definitely warn my friends and I don't regret that, but just realize it can backfire on you.

Had you tested positive my opinion would be that you need to just take care of yourself and move on.   After all that drama I'm not sure it was worth it and anyone who tests positive has enough initial trauma to deal with.   Take care of yourself first and foremost!
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 02:57:24 pm by AustinWesley »

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: February 02, 2007, 03:00:01 pm »
Right now the main thing is to clarify about your own HIV status. Hopefully you will test negative.

Once that is established you can consider the issue of your ex's status and whether you want to pursue the matter. It's a very difficult and touchy thing to do. If you're in touch with him, going beyond suggesting to him that legally and certainly ethically he should be advising his partners, (and practicing safer sex with condoms), is highly problematical. Whatever you decide to do I suggest that you first contact either an AIDS service organization and/or a lawyer for an informed opinion of how to proceed, if at all.
Andy Velez

2young2die

« Reply #22 on: February 02, 2007, 03:15:28 pm »
Thanks Austin and Andy. I have been reading up about the leagal issues and I found that you can be prosecuted for not telling someone about your HIV status, however it is a difficult case (one thats never been done in KY for that matter). It's just that my friend has these messages from him saying horrible things, but I cannot prove that he never told me his HIV status so I guess I can do nothing but just let it go.

Last night I asked him why he didnt tell me, and his response was that he told me when we first started talking, which is not true. I would never have met him if I knew, which is obviously why he kept it a secret. What makes me most mad is that he came in me knowing he was infected, gave me a fake name, and was seeing other people behind my back.... and yet he said he loved me. lol. 

Anyways, what I'm trying to get at is.. is there anyway to get a list of people who have HIV and are on file/reciveing meds. so if I meet someone I can check to see if there on the list? I know its probably confedintial but I have heard of some people who have access to it.

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #23 on: February 02, 2007, 03:17:54 pm »
OMG! No there isnt a LEPER LIST!  That was just appalling.  I am backing out now before I get myself in trouble.  ANN/ANDY, this is all yours!
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

2young2die

« Reply #24 on: February 02, 2007, 03:33:06 pm »
Ok, that was a dumb question. But it was just a question... you made it seem like I killed someone or something.  :'(

Offline AustinWesley

« Reply #25 on: February 02, 2007, 03:36:36 pm »
Hey 2Young,

I understand your anger and fear, but relize those of us here are predominantly positive and some are very sensitive to questions like this.

There is no way you can tell who's pos and who's not. 

Hell, no telling how many don't even know so you need to treat every potential partner as if they already have it.

Wesley

Offline ACinKC

• Bring it VIRUS! #2 Ranked In-crowd Member!
« Reply #26 on: February 02, 2007, 03:39:48 pm »
is there anyway to get a list of people who have HIV

This is EXTREMELY insulting to those of us that have HIV.  Trust me the government wanted a list of us so that we can be excluded from society.  You are basically asking for the same thing.  My wife would tell you that she never would have dated me had she known ahead of time (i told her 3 months in) that I was HIV positive and she said that would have been the single biggest mistake of her life.  Dont exclude those of us that have it for the simple fact we have HIV.

Off my soapbox.  Apology to the mods for getting on it. but i had to.
LIFE is not a race to the grave with the intention of arriving safely
in a pretty and well-preserved body, but, rather to skid in broadside,
thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW! WHAT A
RIDE!!!

2young2die

« Reply #27 on: February 02, 2007, 03:45:48 pm »
I'm really sorry.... I totally understand what you guys are saying. I was just upset. What is appauling is that there are HIV+ people that want to spread it and I know that not everyone is like that and that some people don't even know if they have it. This just happened to me recently so I'm really stressed and not thinking right. Didn't mean to offend u guys.

Offline Coffeechick88

« Reply #28 on: February 02, 2007, 03:51:04 pm »
No, there is no way to get a list, and frankly it is none of your business anyone's private health record.  It is certainly unethical for HIV + people to not disclose, but that does not excuse you from your responsibility to protect your own health.  In this day and age, I am surprised at anyone who will have unprotected sex with anyone without getting a full STD panel done together.  If you do not get that simple information and instead rely on blind faith, then you take your own life in your hands.  If they won't do that, then you either keep the condoms handy or don't sleep with them.  Simple as that.  Getting tested and knowing your partner's status and your own is just the smart thing to do.  I would never condone anyone not disclose the HIV status or have unprotected sex as an HIV positive person, but that doesn't mean you don't share in the responsibility as well.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007, 03:52:41 pm by Coffeechick88 »
Lucas James is here
Born 6-14-08 at 1233 am
8 lbs 14 oz, 22 in long

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2007, 04:05:39 pm »
What is appauling is that there are HIV+ people that want to spread it.

It doesn't matter how much someone "wants to spread it", if you ensure condoms are used each and every time you have anal or vaginal intercourse, it won't matter. It is YOUR responsibility to protect your health.

You need to be using condoms for anal or vaginal intercourse, every time, no exceptions until such time as you are in a securely monogamous relationship where you have both tested for ALL STIs together. To agree to have unprotected intercourse is to consent to the possibility of being infected with a sexually transmitted infection. Sex with a condom lasts only a matter of minutes, but hiv is forever.

Have a look through the condom and lube links in my signature line so you can use condoms with confidence.

Anyone who is sexually active should be having a full sexual health care check-up, including but not limited to hiv testing, at least once a year and more often if unprotected intercourse occurs.

If you aren't already having regular, routine check-ups, now is the time to start. As long as you make sure condoms are being used for intercourse, you can fully expect your routine hiv tests to return with negative results. Don't forget to always get checked for all the other sexually transmitted infections as well, because they are MUCH easier to transmit than hiv.

Use condoms and avoid hiv infection. It really is that simple.

As for asking about public lists - I'm not even going to go there.

YOUR body, YOUR responsibility.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2007, 04:07:38 pm »

And by the way, I've merged your threads and disabled your second account.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.