Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:05:41 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 204
Total: 204

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: No cost-of-living hike for Social Security for 2nd year  (Read 9824 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
No cost-of-living hike for Social Security for 2nd year
« on: October 11, 2010, 12:43:33 pm »
Hooray!... just in time when I've seen my electricity costs, even with budget billing, double due to two consecutive seasons of climate change causing a record snow producing winter and record heat producing summer.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
Re: No cost-of-living hike for Social Security for 2nd year
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2010, 02:22:41 pm »
Yeah, I read that too. This year has been a real belt-tightening year. I imagine next year will be more of the same. Lets hope our computers/televisions/phones don't decide to conk out soon.

Damn.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2010, 02:25:29 pm »
Lets hope our computers/televisions/phones don't decide to conk out soon.

I had to replace both my (one) television and computer the first half of this year, so I guess I'm safe for a while.  And I let both run until they completely shut down.  At least I finally have high-definition flat screen now eight years after the fact, but now that it's all that is for sale in stores the prices are ever so reasonable.

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2010, 02:30:57 pm »
Hooray!... just in time when I've seen my electricity costs, even with budget billing, double due to two consecutive seasons of climate change causing a record snow producing winter and record heat producing summer.

Tell me about  ??? it's same way here too, everything go's up every yr. except our pay, it's a fuck story
anyway you look at it....we need that COLA every yr.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 02:32:42 pm by denb45 »
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2010, 03:04:13 pm »
Could be worse.  You could have to go back to work and get no increase - like the average worker (that's why there is no COLA).
"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 03:10:40 pm »
Could be worse.  You could have to go back to work and get no increase - like the average worker (that's why there is no COLA).

wrong

marketwatch

More than three-quarters (76%) of organizations that froze pay during the last 18 months have lifted their pay freezes or intend to do so by the end of 2010, according to a Buck Consultants, A Xerox Company (XRX 11.12, +0.17, +1.51%) , survey of U.S. companies released today.

Buck's survey, "Compensation Planning for 2011," also found that workers can expect modest pay raises next year, up from recent low levels. Salary increases for 2011 will average 2.8 percent, an increase from 2.5 percent in 2010 and 1.8 percent in 2009.

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 03:38:10 pm »
You might want to do a little research on how the COLA is deteremined.  The info that you posted isn't really relevant.

Here's a good place to start

http://www.ssa.gov/OACT/COLA/latestCOLA.html

I am sorry you're not getting an increase.  But the reason is that the average wage earner didn't see any increase in their wages.  That's that's why there is no COLA increase.

Not to mention double digit unemployment.  A huge amount of underemployment,  paycuts,  pay freezes, benefit cuts,  etc. etc.  Everyone is feeling the pain.

My partner has seen his wages cut by 25% this year alone.  We're thankful that he still has a job.

Like I said,  it could be worse.   But I certainly hope it gets better.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

Bertrand Russell

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 03:41:04 pm »
bman, I know how COLA is determined.  But your previous post referenced "go back to work" which is in the future so I merely was pointing out that (most) worker's, according to my link, can expect a wage increase in 2011.

And you're right, it could be worse -- I could be on disability and living on about the same income someone gets from being unemployed.  Oh right, I am... silly me.

Let me put this another way: say you started a thread about your partner getting a pay cut and I immediately dashed in and wrote "o hai, it could be worse -- he could be dead" what would you say?  It's just not really helpful in the final analysis, but thanks for your input.

Back to my original opening, regardless of the national cost of living I laid out why in my geographical area this wasn't that useful seeing as how just one utility bill had DOUBLED due to climatic events beyond my control.  Living alone on a fixed income with no increase for two entire years just makes this an issue.  I'm sorry if you wish to diminish my problem with your own worthless projection.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 03:46:16 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline bmancanfly

• Medicare For All !
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2010, 04:04:14 pm »
Well,  you truncated my quote there a little - don't you think?   

I was simply pointing out that the wage earners during the period in which the increase (or lack thereof) is based did not see their wages go up.   Hence no increase.

Bertrand Russell

Offline Jeff G

• Administrator
  • How am I doing Beren ?
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2010, 04:11:56 pm »
When I was dependent only on my disability payments 20 or 30 dollars more a month was a god send . When you live on very little just filling the car with gas can be a stressful event .

Where I live the sewer system is in receivership from being poorly managed , we are expecting sewer rates to double or maybe even triple , factors like this or a very bad winter regionally do not factor into national cost of living or the inflation rates .... so no increase two years in a row is a terrible blow to many people .    
HIV 101 - Basics
HIV 101
You can read more about Transmission and Risks here:
HIV Transmission and Risks
You can read more about Testing here:
HIV Testing
You can read more about Treatment-as-Prevention (TasP) here:
HIV TasP
You can read more about HIV prevention here:
HIV prevention
You can read more about PEP and PrEP here
PEP and PrEP

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2010, 04:18:04 pm »

That sucks. It really puts a squeeze on the citizens in our country who are the most vulnerable.

I'm not making a comparison but my employer didn't give any salary increases last year and they have not decided whether anyone will get a raise in 2011. Fortunately they are only raising the cost of our health benefits $20 a month in 2011, although the did raise the deductable another $50. They are also instituting a new "healthy lifestyle" program where they test your blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose and if it is too high they charge you more for your health insurance-- I think it is around $100 a month. They are also going to randomly test people for smoking and if you fail you are charged more. We all suspect that being overweight will be the next criteria.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2010, 04:36:39 pm »
Our (as yet not announced) Medicare Part B premiums are expected to increase 9%, or $25/month -- as this is deducted from the monthly Social Security payment I will actually see a net decrease monthly in that amount.  Combined with my monthly increase in electricity, plus I've not computed the inevitable likely increase in gas as my heating/AC system also uses that, and that's easily swallowing $100 month.  I don't even want to compute what % that is of the total.

I'd not be publicly whining if it wasn't for the weather the entire year, like I said the issues wasn't just one season but two consecutive abnormal ones, grossly abnormal and both record setting.

Offline denb45

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2010, 04:45:58 pm »
so no increase two years in a row is a terrible blow to many people .    

Yes, it is J
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2010, 05:06:18 pm »

We just got connected with the Verizon Fios bundle package, about a month ago.  We decided on this, because, the price of $99.00 per month is guaranteed for two years. Brighthouse was getting too expensive for what they were offering. So at least for 2 years, we know there won't be an increase in cable, phone, or internet. And, I believe the Florida PSC said no, to an increase in electric rates for Progress energy. (which serves us)

But yes, it's rough.  My last pay raise was in Feb of 08. My reviews are in Feb, and it looks as though this coming Feb, there won't be a raise either. So it's almost 3 years here, and everything continues to go up.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline denb45

« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2010, 05:41:59 pm »
Ray,  it's rough across the board, everyone is feelling it, so, the recession, or whatever it's called these days isn't over yet....

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2010, 06:00:34 pm »
They are also instituting a new "healthy lifestyle" program where they test your blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose and if it is too high they charge you more for your health insurance-- I think it is around $100 a month. They are also going to randomly test people for smoking and if you fail you are charged more. We all suspect that being overweight will be the next criteria.
Is that even legal?

I haven't seen the article Miss P was refering to but I was wondering if there was going to be an increase this year.
Thanks for nothing! (just kidding)
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline peteb

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2010, 06:50:33 pm »
Hi miss P
I just got disability its a dam good thing I worked 30 years and it still sucks

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2010, 07:33:42 pm »
They are also instituting a new "healthy lifestyle" program where they test your blood pressure, cholesterol and glucose and if it is too high they charge you more for your health insurance-- I think it is around $100 a month. They are also going to randomly test people for smoking and if you fail you are charged more. We all suspect that being overweight will be the next criteria.

Is that even legal?

Apparently it is. Administration sent a letter explaining in detail how each person taking care of their health is in everyone's best interest, will keep costs down, etc. They are not firing anyone for their health habits but employees who have bad blood pressure, cholesterol or glucose, or use tobacco, will lose their "premium discount". One thing administration did that was good is anyone who has one of these conditions receives free related medication and health consultations.

Offline denb45

« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 08:07:19 pm »
Apparently it is. Administration sent a letter explaining in detail how each person taking care of their health is in everyone's best interest, will keep costs down, etc. They are not firing anyone for their health habits but employees who have bad blood pressure, cholesterol or glucose, or use tobacco, will lose their "premium discount". One thing administration did that was good is anyone who has one of these conditions receives free related medication and health consultations.

Yeah Ford, my last employer had something like this back then, they also told me to shave off my goatee, cause they didn't like facial hair, I fought this , but i didn't win  :(

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 08:40:21 pm »
I remember reading over the 2010 statement from President Obama, that there will be a $250 stimulus payment in 2010 in lieu of the cost of living increase.  That stimulus payment would have equaled $17.00 per month in one lump payment.  That stimulus payment was never deposited in my account.  I called Social Security months ago and was told, they would send everyone a letter when they were authorized to make such a payment.  I was at the Post Office today and the letter was not there.

I borrowed a car from a neighbor today to make my monthly trip to town (20 miles) to pick up my med refills.  I always put gas in her car because she makes minimum wage in a coffee house and also drives the same 20 miles each day for work.  The cost of gasoline today was $3.09 per gallon just as it has been since the final years of the George W. Bush administration.

On my Facebook page, I like Jerry Brown for Governor, Barbara Boxer re-election campaign, and Barack Obama.  I told the DCCC and the aforementioned others, the failure to award any cost of living increase was disgraceful on the part of our President and even though I am in screaming agony when I walk with PN and Osteopenia, I will walk the 2 miles on election day to the polls to vote FOR Meg Whitman, the GOP candidate for California Governor against Jerry Brown.  Carly Fiorina, the GOP candidate running against Barbara Boxer and in 2012 I will vote for Sarah Palin for President because it is time for a change and they (the candidates) can thank President Obama for his failure in leadership.

Meg Whitman (former EBAY CEO) has spent over $119 million of her personal funds to buy the election.  Carly Fiorina (Former CEO H. P.) has sent 30,000 jobs out of California to third world countries and also spent a like amount of her personal fortune to buy the Senate Seat of Barbara Boxer.  Everyone knows Sarah Palin puts the FUN in dysfunctional and they didn't buy my vote, President Obama gave it to them.

On the local level, Congressman Wes Chesbro, Member of the 1st District and Congresswoman Lyn Woolsey, US Representative have proven in the past to be friends to people with HIV and support the funding issues... They will NOT get my vote on November 2nd.

Many years ago, Congressman Wilbur Mills, Speaker of the House was arrested for cavorting in a Washington D.C. fountain with a prostitute.  The people in our country were screaming impeachment but, the voters of his state did not vote for impeachment because he WAS the Speaker of the House.  In the Spirit of Wilbur Mills, I may vote for Nancy Pelosi again but today, I have no interest or guarantees.  I want elected leadership that works.

Today, I borrowed a car to drive to Santa Rosa and to Guerneville to check my mail.  River Road is being resurfaced and such work is not needed, the contractor is not local but, there is government stimulus money to be spent and that, like the Sonoma County Title I funds is/was being spent.  It is time for accountability and responsibility in our leadership and I ask, other than complainging in our forums with other like minded people, what are you willing to do to be heard?  As a lifelong member of the Democratic party, I am going to vote GOP across the board because even though George W. Bush was a complete ass in the White House, SSI did receive the highest COLA award in it's history during his final year as President.  Thank you for your time, I now am going to Facebook to get heard.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2010, 09:00:10 pm »
Michael, my mother would say you are cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Offline denb45

« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2010, 09:09:16 pm »

Michael, I left that hell hole State of California 10 yrs ago, and never looked back, it used to be a nice place to live yrs ago......

Offline fearless

« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2010, 09:10:56 pm »
That is tough, Philly.

Have you thought about ways to supplement your income, even a little - such as signing up to take part in market research discussion groups? I don't know how they work over there, but I registered for a few over here and get a call up every couple of months. For an hour or two of my time, I generally receive $80-100 cash in the hand.

You're 'puter litterate, so i'll leave the gooooooooooogling in your capable hands.
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline denb45

« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2010, 09:21:29 pm »
That is tough, Philly.

Have you thought about ways to supplement your income, even a little - such as signing up to take part in market research discussion groups? I don't know how they work over there, but I registered for a few over here and get a call up every couple of months. For an hour or two of my time, I generally receive $80-100 cash in the hand.

You're 'puter litterate, so i'll leave the gooooooooooogling in your capable hands.

Miss P .what is the current cut-off for earnings while on SSDI, I forgot, the last time I checked, I think it was $800 or $900 a month, I need your skills in this matter for the answer, I cannot work or EVER go back, but I bet you know the correct answer to this?

Offline fearless

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2010, 09:23:34 pm »
Miss P .what is the current cut-off for earnings while on SSDI, I forgot, the last time I checked, I think it was $800 or $900 a month, I need your skills in this matter for the answer, I cannot work or EVER go back, but I bet you know the correct answer to this?

denb,
the way they pay you over here, cash in the hand (literally in a brown paper envelope one time), nothing is ever recorded so no need to worry about ssdi limits etc. check it out
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline denb45

« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2010, 09:28:47 pm »
denb,
the way they pay you over here, cash in the hand (literally in a brown paper envelope one time), nothing is ever recorded so no need to worry about ssdi limits etc. check it out

fearless......meh actualy I'm good, My SSDI is somewhat like Miss P's, (somewhere close to that) I make do and live on it ok after working for 32 yrs. at my last job.......opps my bad 23 yrs not 32.....

« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 09:32:12 pm by denb45 »

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2010, 09:42:43 pm »
On the evening news tonight, they reported these last 2 freezes were the only 2 since the cost-of-living adjustment was made to SS in the 70's.  They went on to say this wasn't due to budget problems, rather inflation has stayed basically the same.  They mentioned how the cost of a loaf of bread has actually gone down.  Well, I know my utility bills keep going up every year.  They ask for increases every year from the state department that approves them.  And, they almost always get what they want.  So who cares that bread went down when almost everything else has gone up. 

About Medicare premiums, I know here in KY people on SSDI can get Medicaid to pay their Medicare part B and D premiums.  It called QMB for those unfamiliar--and I'm no expert.  I believe the income cut-off is something like $1,100/mth here.  Medicaid will also pay the 20% that Part B doesn't.  The cut off here to get that is income more than $903.  I've talked to some who are conflicted about whether to get cost-of-living increases.  If they get above that $1,100 mark, they have to pay the $110/mth Part B premium.  It is a shame that people have to worry about whether they are going to get an increase to help them out and then worry whether that increase would actually be worse for them.

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2010, 09:52:10 pm »
Michael, my mother would say you are cutting off your nose to spite your face.

Hey Ford,

No one ever listens to what I have to say... Should I eat dog food because I can not afford to go to the supermarket?  I read that if I chop some onion and saute it with Friskies that it is quite tasty   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2010, 09:53:08 pm »
If you can't afford to have AIDS maybe you should wear a rubber next time.

Offline denb45

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2010, 09:55:32 pm »
tednlou2..........I don't even qualify for QMB or medicaid in my State, last JAN 2010, I have to give up my Part D ( due to not being able to afford it anymore, after I lost my QMB, and extra help, so now I'm on LIPP/ ADAP without that I'd be shit-outta-luck on any H.A.R.R.T Meds, so I'm truly humble for this program......
« Last Edit: October 11, 2010, 09:57:32 pm by denb45 »

Offline numbersguy82

• Adrian Alan
    • Instagram
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2010, 09:58:32 pm »
Miss P- I completely understand what you are saying. One would think that after two seasons of record weather highs/lows that someone would realize that extra utilities were required to maintain a proper lifestyle. Of course I don't know how COLA is calculated, but man I think certain factors should weigh in the decision. Of course politics and law making aren't supposed to make sense I guess, or else that would be too easy!
JOIN US FOR PEER-ish SUPPORT Every other Friday @ 7pm EST, PM me your email address for meeting link/information

Strive for “One Day When” by collecting “One Day Wins”

Offline denb45

« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2010, 10:32:07 pm »
Miss P- I completely understand what you are saying. One would think that after two seasons of record weather highs/lows that someone would realize that extra utilities were required to maintain a proper lifestyle. Of course I don't know how COLA is calculated, but man I think certain factors should weigh in the decision. Of course politics and law making aren't supposed to make sense I guess, or else that would be too easy!

I don't even qualify for HEEP, the fuckers told me I make too much  >:(

Offline bocker3

• You gotta enjoy life......
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2010, 10:32:46 pm »
Obama is no more responsible for the lack of a COLA the last 2 years than George W. was for the large ones in the past.  It is math.  You may agree or disagree with the math -- but the same formula (as far I can tell) was responsible for both.

So... you can go and vote for a straight GOP ticket -- you won't be getting anything different.

I understand the anger, but voting in anger leads to years of regret.  You have listed all the reasons to NOT vote for those you plan to vote for -- hopefully you will enter the voting booth in a calmer state of mind.

Offline Jody

« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2010, 11:14:49 pm »
My heart goes out to those not receiving SS increases they depend on so much, little as they are, to help make ends meet.  It's understandable to be frustrated, but it is hard to believe a top priority of Republicans and Tea Party folks would be to assist with SS or other programs people need to stay alive, instead they might actually seek to dismantle said programs.

Jody
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline Oceanbeach

« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2010, 09:45:45 pm »
I get wound up tighter than a main spring right before an election and the failure of our government to supply the things we need to survive does set me off.  Having written on Facebook re: California elections as I did made me feel good because, the White House staff, the DCCC and the candidates election committees all read the FB post responses and I took my time to let every organization know that just because I am pushing 60 and have voted Democrat since I was 21, without ever missing an election, they have a hint that my vote is not a done deal, they have to earn my trust and respect.  Their staff has had the opportunity to read what I wrote and now, it is deleted.

California has the two most uninteresting candidates, Meg Whitman and Carly Fiorina, both billionaires with no record of serving anyone but themselves.  Each has spent over 100 million in advertising in the past year.

Years ago, when I was detected as HIV+, there was a promotion for me in a Los Angeles firm which was responsible for designing industrial safety programs.  Our CEO was not able to make his speech at a Chamber of Commerce function so, I spoke in front of the movers and shakers in So Cal businesses on using behavior modification techniques and incentives to reduce injuries that lead to workers' comp claims.  The Keynote speaker was Assemblyman Richard Mountjoy who at the time was the front runner in workers' comp reform.  We became friends and he was a guest on my radio talk show many times.

Years later, Congressman Mountjoy, my friend ran against Barbara Boxer for her Senate seat and I voted for Senator Boxer and still do.  One of my college professors, who was also a neighbor ran for Governor of California and I voted for Gray Davis.  I liked Dan Hamburg but he was on the Green Party ticket, I knew his brother and father but, voting is a responsibility to make the best decision for everyone so therefore, I chose Mr. Davis.

beginning with B movie actor Ronald Reagan and continuing with Arnold Schwartzenneger, I believe California voter may be collectively stupid so elections are hard work.  In my past, I have owned an advertising agency and did represent a 2 candidates for Judge, who both won, and a District Supervisor who lost by a landslide.  The Supervisor candidate was very well funded by Pacific Gas and Electric, Georgia Pacific, Louisiana Pacific and some business associations.  No one knew if he was a Republican or a Democrat and right before that election, a news story was printed re:  Our candidate giving a list of names of a day care center abuse case and the dumb ass submitted the entire membership of the local Rotary Club...  I was at the county courthouse during that election, covering the news for my friends radio station when the computers went down and I sat on the courthouse steps with our 1st District Supervisor and the PR team of Georgia Pacific.  I went home at midnight when our station went off the air and read about his loss in the daily newspaper.

My last 2 years in high school, I maintained my "honor roll" status while working 40 hours per week. I took my school work to my job and having paid into Social Security since I was 16, it is my money, I am being cheated out of, I earned it and I want it.

For those of you who are still working and facing cutbacks due to the economy, I think you could get a look at your employers insurance loss runs.  I have managed safety from Los Angeles in 9 districts coast to coast and know employers from Alaska to Florida have not taken the responsibility to reduce those injuries and medical service providers are the worst.  Your bosses said the work "proactive" and did not know or care about being "proactive" and have willingly spent million per month on workers' comp cases they could have avoided. 

In more recent history, one of my past HIV clinic providers had a janitor in charge of safety.  Improperly sterilized plastic was repackaged and used on patients because the janitor/safety director knew how to mop an exam room floor but was terrified of ethylene oxide so he used steam.  Medical plastics require temperatures of over 400 F to kill the HIV virus or cold sterilization which has only been done in the UK as of 5 years ago.  Ethylene Oxide is/was the only way and a leak in the system will kill you before it is detected.  The only was a US medical service provider can not use Ethylene Oxide is a decision which can only be made by the CEO, not the janitor.

Los Angeles County was ordered to reduce costs associated by the Grand Jury, First District Supervisor Gloria Molina took on that task.  San Bernadino County had reduced their injuries and the related costs while Los Angeles was spending $356 million per year on workers' comp claims at 6 hospitals partnered with USC and UCLA.  It took 9 months to get Supervisor Molina's attention which lead to a meeting with the county Director of Human Resources who chose not to invest in safety.  Within 2 years the $356 million almost doubled and 2 (trauma units) of the 6 hospitals were closed because of these costs.  My mother also said, "cutting off your nose to spite your face" and I remember hundreds of companies which did just that. 

Whenever there is an election, the way a company gets lulled into a false sense of security over a candidate or a proposition such as an Insurance Commissioner.  In California of the mid-90's SB 198 was expected to be the savior of all industry and half of the safety professionals went to Sacramento to define industrial safety and hope to find a way to reduce the injuries.  They all came home without knowing what if anything was accomplished and it has been business as usual statewide.

I lost my job in 1996 when I was hospitalized for PCP and was told I was permanently disabled due to AIDS.  It would look bad for such a company which was dedicated to reduction of workers' comp claims to lose a top management person to a wc claim.  They are still hawking my old designs with nothing new to add while I being bored on disability have completely redesigned the industrial safety programs in 9 industry types.  Most recently, I found a way to offer a 3 year program electronically, cutting the cost of paper and shipping.  The only reason, I want my annual COLA is because I earned it.   ;D  Have the best day
Michael

Offline wolfter

« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2010, 12:10:28 am »
I guess you should be lucky you're receiving benefits.  I've been fighting for 4 years and even had to start the process over because I was in the hospital deathly sick when I rec'd the notice that I had been denied because I was still able to work.  I finally have a hearing in December and lately I've been feeling like I want to return to work but certainly won't.

What really sucks is that I was 100% permanent disability back in 92.  I rec'd approval within a couple of months.  A couple of years later, I voluntarily returned to the work force and was assured the process would be even easier if I ever needed assistance again.   I guess their message is, don't try to be productive and contribute when you can, just draw benefits for life.

The stastics are ridiculous with the average wait time.  I can't imagine what some people have to endure while waiting for the slow ass process. 
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #36 on: October 13, 2010, 12:30:27 am »
I guess you should be lucky you're receiving benefits.  I've been fighting for 4 years and even had to start the process over because I was in the hospital deathly sick when I rec'd the notice that I had been denied because I was still able to work.  I finally have a hearing in December and lately I've been feeling like I want to return to work but certainly won't.

What really sucks is that I was 100% permanent disability back in 92.  I rec'd approval within a couple of months.  A couple of years later, I voluntarily returned to the work force and was assured the process would be even easier if I ever needed assistance again.   I guess their message is, don't try to be productive and contribute when you can, just draw benefits for life.

The stastics are ridiculous with the average wait time.  I can't imagine what some people have to endure while waiting for the slow ass process. 

I was fortunate to get approved in 1994. But in the years since, I have had VASTLY different levels of health, from YEARS of being ready to work, to years of fatigue and sickness and hospitalization. I wish there was a way for the system to help people to do what they can, when they can. But reading posts (and hearing stories) like yours and AlanBama, I know that this is a fallacy.

Sucks because it would be great to do something. Besides posting here and waiting to die, I mean.

I feel like a replicant from Blade Runner, most days. Not quite human, and living underneath the waters of society. It sucks the soul right out of you, if it can.

"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

Welcome Thread

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #37 on: October 13, 2010, 12:38:26 am »
I worked some part time and got burned for doing it by having my SSd check cut by 1/3 for 3 yrs....consequently I lost my home. :o Oh, and I got really, really f-ing poor, stressed out and even got sick for a while. LOL Since I can't afford be that stressed out, or lose access to my meds, or risk homelessness again, I try to enjoy the boredom of not working and taking antiretrovirals by volunteering a lot of time at my ASO ;)
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #38 on: October 13, 2010, 06:49:25 am »
I worked some part time and got burned for doing it by having my SSd check cut by 1/3 for 3 yrs....consequently I lost my home. :o Oh, and I got really, really f-ing poor, stressed out and even got sick for a while. LOL Since I can't afford be that stressed out, or lose access to my meds, or risk homelessness again, I try to enjoy the boredom of not working and taking antiretrovirals by volunteering a lot of time at my ASO ;)
I thought you could work part time and if you only make a certain amount, they wouldn't bother you, the amount now is $1000/mo.  Is this a fallacy too?
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #39 on: October 13, 2010, 10:27:54 am »
I thought you could work part time and if you only make a certain amount, they wouldn't bother you, the amount now is $1000/mo.  Is this a fallacy too?

I would ask AlanBama if I were you. He has had a hell of a time filling out forms and being reviewed and generally being discouraged from working even part time, on the books.

Welcome Thread

Offline leatherman

• Global Moderator
  • Google and HIV meds are Your Friends
« Reply #40 on: October 13, 2010, 10:34:52 am »
I thought you could work part time and if you only make a certain amount, they wouldn't bother you
this was several yrs ago when it was only about $700 a month or so. Though I turned in periodic reports to SS about my work hours and earnings during my working period, four years later I received a letter stating in July I earned $20 too much, in Aug $50, in Sep $10. etc. The letter went on to state that to repay the amount they overpaid me that SS would take my entire disability check for 9 months. Of course, since I hadn't worked in years that would have had very bad results. I negotiated with an agent and the least amount of repayment that they would except was a deal that took 1/3 of my monthly check for 3 yrs.

hmmm, 9 months or 3 years? In the end it was the same - I lost my home.

The crazy part of all this is that during those working years, my income allowed me to keep a cable connection, eat lunch out while working and put gas in my car to drive to and from work. (Oh and probably buy the cigs I was smoking back then) So for all my troubles of having no cable, no car, and no home later, it really wasn't worth all that work I did those years, except for the personal esteem of having a life and something to do when I felt better after having PCP and thinking I was going to die of AIDS.

and so being burned like that once, I wouldn't dream of risking my access to meds or keeping a roof over my head ever again. For me, it's a lot less stressful and easier to just not even attempt to work a paying job - and my ASO is very happy because that gives me plenty of time to help them. LOL
leatherman (aka Michael)

We were standing all alone
You were leaning in to speak to me
Acting like a mover shaker
Dancing to Madonna then you kissed me
And I think about it all the time
- Darren Hayes, "Chained to You"

Offline odyssey

• Mutiny of the neurons!
« Reply #41 on: October 13, 2010, 07:44:17 pm »
I get SSI because I don't qualify for SSDI. I don't have enough work credits. I'm only 24 and I never held a full time job before I went on disability. I get a sum total of $701 a month in cash to make due. Thank goodness for subsidized housing. Still, I have to get "creative". I'm in school and working with Vocational Rehab with hopes that after college I can get a job and support myself, as I originally went on disability due to mental health and Asperger's Syndrome issues. But now with the HIV I don't know. Already I suffer from a lot of fatigue, and when I started meds the first time they ruined everything. If I can't find the right combo, there is no chance I'll ever work. Permanent disability for me. At $701 a month.
01/09/09- diagnosed HIV+
01/16/09   CD4-425    22%  VL- 32,415
11/09- started Reyetaz/Norvir/Truvada
03/10- stopped R/N/T
10/18/11   CD4- 328   20%  VL- 84,000
10/25/11   CD4- 386   22%
10/28/11- start Truvada/Reyetaz/Norvir
12/30/11  CD4- 523  29%
03/08/12  CD4- 503  31%  VL 57
07/02/12  CD4- 897  43%
08/31/12  CD4- 745  39%
12/27/12  CD4- 884  40%
03/28/13  CD4- 819  39%
07/19/13  CD4- 739  40%
10/17/13  CD4- 535  36%
01/16/14  CD4- 743  43%

02/14- switched from R/N/T to Tivicay/Epzicom because of CKD 3 suspected from tenofovir.

03/14- switched back to R/N/T due to severe nausea and inability to eat on T/E.

04/01/14 CD4- 898  42%   VL-

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.