HIV Prevention and Testing > Do I Have HIV?

Advice Please

<< < (2/2)

Ann:
Dazz,

Everyone is different and I have no way of knowing if you would have felt anything had you been slightly damaged inside.

The lining of the anus/rectum is delicate and therefore very prone to damage - that is the reason why unprotected receptive anal intercourse is at the top of the risk list. You may have been protected against damage through the use of copious amounts of lube - and this is one of the reasons it's always a good idea to use plenty of lube for anal. Lube also protects the condom from damage.

However, hiv remains a fragile, difficult to transmit virus. Considering this unprotected insertion was very brief, I do expect you to test negative, but you should test all the same. As I said before, hiv is nothing to guess about.

While frottage itself carries no hiv risk, you have discovered a very real danger present with frottage - it can be all to easy to briefly slip the penis inside during frottage, especially when the area is well-lubed. This practice is known as "dipping" and it is suspected that dipping is an under-reported cause of hiv transmission.

All things considered, I would expect you to test negative. A test at the six week point would be an excellent indication of your status as the vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks, with the average time to seroconversion being 22 days. Remember to get a full sexual health care check up, because there are plenty of other STIs out there that are much much easier to transmit than hiv.

Ann

jkinatl2:
<<This practice is known as "dipping" and it is suspected that dipping is an under-reported cause of hiv transmission. >>

It is also, I strongly suspect, the cause for many transmissions attributed to receptive fellatio, when the patient insists that s/he was "always" safe in regards to anal and vaginal sex. Pre-ejaculatory fluid can contain more virus than semen, in the right circumstances.

In the heat of the moment, it is easy to forget what is safe and what is not. Any time there is penile penetration, there is a risk of HIV infection. That penetration might not even be noticed if there is enough foreplay and lubrication (or intoxication). That's why it's vital to insist on latex condoms from the beginning of sexual activity, to prevent frottage from turning into unprotected sex.

The risk is undeniably MUCH lower for the incident described here than, say, full-on unprotected sex with or without ejaculation. But I venture to say it is not zero, and only an HIV test at the appropriate time will provide closure.

AusD:
Dear All,

Thank you for your advice. The 6 week mark will be this week - I am going to get tested hopefully (have to make the booking) this Thursday. My fingers are crossed and I am praying fervently (I always become more religious at times like this - hopefully the deity indulges my admittedly rather selfish calls for help). I will keep you posted.

Kind regards,
AusDazz

AusD:
Dear All,
I got tested a little over a week ago and a few days ago got a negative result for everthing. I was tested at exactly the six week mark and the adviser told me that there was no reason at all to get restested at 13 weeks, even for peace of mind. What generation test is this certain - I was tested at the Parramatta sexual health clinic in sydney australia.

Anyway thanks for all the calm and measured advice.

Kind regards,
AusDazz

Ann:
Dazz,

I have no idea what generation test is being used at the clinic you attended - you'd have to ask them yourself. As the counselor told you that you don't need to test again, it was probably a 4th generation test, which is very reliable at the six week mark.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks and the 4th generation tests are very sensitive and will pick this up.

You really only needed to test for peace of mind in the first place so it is entirely up to you whether or not you want to test again at the end of the official three month window period.

If you do test again, I fully expect you to receive another negative result.

Ann

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version