Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:13:31 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37644
  • Latest: Aman08
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773220
  • Total Topics: 66338
  • Online Today: 716
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 598
Total: 598

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Tour de France and the drug scandal  (Read 3976 times)

Offline Sae

• Joined June 2005
Tour de France and the drug scandal
« on: July 01, 2006, 11:50:34 am »
So yesterday the lid was blown off the TdF and out of the top 10 contenders 5 are gone from the Tour including my two favorites Ivan Basso and Jan Ullrich.

I was so disappointed I didn't want to watch it today, but found myself parked in front of the tv anyway to see the explanations for the expulsions.  To my surprize...its still exciting and maybe a new hero will emerge from the underdogs.

Vive la tour!  Sans drugs.

Still..the drug thing is alarming, for someone like Jan Ullrich, who maybe be proved innocent this Tour was probably his last chance at winning now that Lance retired.  What a possible huge miscarriage of justice.

Lance remains surprisingly quiet.  I say Lance was clean, at least post cancer anyway. Cliff..thoughts ???

I must now cheer for Hincapie or Floyd Landis (can you believe his missed the start today!)...or ???  What to do...cheer for the sprinters?  I am so lost.

Sae
(who thought Ivan Basso would have won anyway)
Meh.

Offline Basquo

Re: Tour de France and the drug scandal
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 11:08:44 pm »
For the last 7 years we've heard nothing but TOUR!TOUR!TOUR! all over the Austin news...this year, without Lance in it, I had no idea it was even happenning; seriously, this thread is the first reminder i've seen that it's that time of year again!

Offline Val

• Praxitèles -- Satyre au repos
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2006, 01:26:40 pm »
I am so disappointed with this whole new drug affair that I won't be watching The Tour this year.  It is just too much!  Besides, I was tremendously disappointed with Lance for all this fighting with his insurance company and the thought that he may have been on drugs the whole time.  Several books are out in France where people very, very close to him state things that makes one really wonder who was not on drugs --- they call it "Le Pot Belge" --- in the Tour anyway. 
And the truth is that if you condemn Lance, then you'll have to incriminate (perhaps) the whole organization of The Tour. 
What a sad state of affairs for such a magnificent event!  Stil, it should remain the number one cycling happening in the world for the time being...

Val
___
___
Arthus Bertrand
http://www.yannarthusbertrand.com/yann2/affichage.php?reference=TVDC%20YABFR084&pais=France
Ali Mahdavi
http://asyoudesireme.online.fr/index.htm
Richard de Chazal
http://www.richarddechazal.com/
Daniel Nassoy
http://www.danielnassoy.com/pages/galeries_portraits_2.html
Photography:
The word comes from the Greek words φως phos ("light"), and γραφίς graphis ("stylus", "paintbrush") or γραφή graphê, together meaning "drawing with light" or "representation by means of lines".

Offline Sae

• Joined June 2005
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 02:13:02 pm »
I agree Val, except I've decided to watch what I can (weekends only, unfortunately I don't have the right cable package).

Today was unreal and bizarre.  The leader from yesterday Thor was cut accidentally at the finish line and its still confusing whether or not he'll ride tomorrow.  They say he was cut from a foam or cardboard hand on a spectator.  WEIRD.  Blood everywhere.  I watched the replays over and over and its hard not to think of the Olympics when the marathon runner was attacked.  I attempt to avoid the conspiracy theories.

I think there's significant doping in cycling , but I find it hard to consider Lance would do that after his cancer and all that.  I'm not a fan of Lance, although I would never deny his merits either.  Great...no doubt.  Ferocious for certain.  I've read all his books and I just think being alive means more to him than cycling, I really do.

I will continue to watch, for surely there are those who are drug free.

Sae.

Meh.

Offline Cliff

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 05:15:28 pm »
SAE,

The more folks who are caught under this scandal, the worse it looks for Lance (I think).  If you have half the top guys doping, it's hard to believe that somehow Lance was exempt from this.  You add to that the positive test result of previous blood samples, (granted from suspicious newsreporting), and his former personal assistance making doping claims, then I think I am more likely than not to believe that Lance was doping (maybe not all years but at least some of the years, and probably towards the tale end).  What a shame.

Shame on all of those guys.  It's like you can't watch sports these days without wondering who's cheating and who isn't.  They need to make the penalties very harsh for those that supply the performance enhancements to athletes.  Stop it at the source cause clearly they can't do much to stop the demand.

Cliff

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2006, 05:24:36 pm »
With regards to all the drug scandals, why exactly should we increase penalties for those who supply the drugs?  Talk about avoidance of responsibility.  Nothing goes into my body that I don't know and approve of, period, end of discussion.

If you are a professional athlete, paid to perform and you are caught using illegal drugs to enhance your performance, I'd say maybe you get one strike.  Second offense, banned from the game for life.  You want clean sports?  Then hit them where it hurts the most, which would be their bank accounts.

I'm amazed that some of these people are paid hundreds of millions of dollars to play a sport and yet they still need to cheat.  The sport will always be better without them.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2006, 05:26:51 pm by killfoile »

Offline Cliff

« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2006, 05:39:34 pm »
The reason why I believe the supplier should face harsher penalties, than they do currently, is because the suppliers, (manufactureres, doctors, etc..), constantly make modifications and enhancements to performance drugs to make them undetectable by current testing methods.  So if you solely focus on the athlete, then chances are you are only catching a very small percentage of those who are actually doping, (and almost always well after when the athlete started doping).

Both sides should be punished as both sides bare responsibility for keeping sports clean.  Almost all of these drugs are illegal, or at least not to be prescribed in the manner in which they are.  Punishing the "dealer," is also making that person take responsibility for their own illegal actions.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.