Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:41:18 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37612
  • Latest: testABC
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772944
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 161
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 3
Guests: 154
Total: 157

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Conspiracy involving Rx Companies?  (Read 22790 times)

Offline phildinftlaudy

• sweet Ann what you think babe...
Re: Conspiracy involving Rx Companies?
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2011, 12:15:49 am »
Sadly, it is those who are most virulent in these suppositions that almost instantly begin to belittle, mock, or undermine people with advanced degrees or experience in virology or scientific methodology.  An Anti-science mentality lurks right underneath these theories - and part of me thinks it is based on a primal need to push down those who rise up.

I am living proof that you don't need an advanced degree to understand the gist of this stuff. What HELPS is a vested interest. I have trouble tolerating those who are infected with this illness who ignore that vested interest.

Exactly - while not wanting to become fully educated immediately or even for a bit after being infected is understandable - due to fear, anxiety, confusion...
Staying uneducated about this disease is not a good idea -
Exactly what you said previously about laziness or not wanting to admit that one may not understand the science - and it is okay not to understand - there are more than enough people here who are more than willing to help explain it or direct a person to resources that might be more intellectually digestable.

Myself, I find myself wanting to know more and more about this condition and everything surrounding it.  I don't want to be clueless.  I don't want to be easily misled.  And, I want to be able to contribute to the discussion in a meaningful, productive way.

It doesn't mean that I won't still have my nonsense-ical moments  lol

But, I definitely intent on knowing as much as possible about HIV - and learning the most current up-to-date information so that the pieces (and there are many) will fit together as best as possible for me.
September 13, 2008 - diagnosed +
Labs:
Date    CD4    %   VL     Date  CD4  %   VL
10/08  636    35  510   9/09 473  38 2900  12/4/09 Atripla
12/09  540    30    60   
12/10  740    41  <48   
8/11    667    36  <20  
03/12  1,041  42  <20
05/12  1,241  47  <20
08/12   780    37  <20
11/12   549    35  <20
02/12  1,102  42  <20
11/12   549    35  <20

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline wolfter

« Reply #52 on: October 26, 2011, 09:00:08 am »
I love a good conspiracy first thing in the morning.  I can't put a coherent thought to words yet, the coffee hasn't kicked in.  Probably because our government has gotten us all addicted then will suddenly stop the coffee bean flow and will control us through our lack of motivation.
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #53 on: October 27, 2011, 04:24:36 am »
The remarkable frequency with which conspiracy theory threads surface on these forums is the global conspiracy that makes it harder for me to come to terms with my diagnosis.
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #54 on: October 27, 2011, 06:35:57 am »
Is it just me or has there been a number of new Big Pharma conspiracy threads in the last year?  Did I just not pay attention to all these Foil-hatted folks in previous years?

The idea that a scientist would withhold the professional accolades that would follow finding a cure for HIV infection is beyond laughable.  A Nobel Prize in medicine comes with a pretty hefty prize -- AND what research scientists crave, validation, recognition and a name that lives on in scientific history.  Not to mention the fact that many of these researches really do want to save lives.

If the cure were found in a Big Pharma lab -- they would "own" this discovery -- but I highly doubt that this would stop a scientist from getting word out, if (and that is a very big IF) there was a conspiracy to keep it under their hat.
Plus -- when a cure is found, it will likely be found in a more academic setting, IMO.  Big Pharma might help fund it, but won't "own" it.

So....  Please take your crazy elsewhere, we have enough of it here.

Mike

Very happy to find a post I agree with 100%.

It seems there is no convincing these "critically thinking" fools. Kelly, you still haven't done your homework??!!!! Still refusing to ACTUALLY learn all the facts that refute your cockamamy political economy, which seems to be emotionally meaningful to you for some reason.
Well at least you can all take comfort in the fact you won't die of HIV if you are willing to enter the vast master plot and drink the HAART koolaid. 
Still, life would be easier lived on Earth, wouldn't it??

“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline mecch

« Reply #55 on: October 27, 2011, 06:55:28 am »
I sometimes get the feeling that people who come with these "critical" investigations of politics and economy and health are in over their heads, intellectually.  

But that can't explain it all. There is some reason to believe there must be a powerful conspiracy to abuse human rights.  

We see it time and again in this forum, cross it many times in life as well. People defend the existence of these power merchants, with half-assed arguments, avoidances, navel gazing, all below the level of enough dissonance to actually abandon the myth making.

Soul - your avoided Bocker's important question to your "theory", then finally managed a completely mushy unconvincing answer.  

In fact, there is NO way a cabal of power merchants can control governments and research insititutes/universities.  Its wishful thinking on your part.  Why?  I dunno why.

I feel sorry for you.

Learn to argue your points convincingly and face the risk of losing the debate and changing your views.  Or retreat to the dangerous worlds of people who think like you and will never push you to live on this earth in this reality.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 07:01:47 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #56 on: October 27, 2011, 10:05:53 am »
I sometimes get the feeling that people who come with these "critical" investigations of politics and economy and health are in over their heads, intellectually.  

But that can't explain it all. There is some reason to believe there must be a powerful conspiracy to abuse human rights.  

We see it time and again in this forum, cross it many times in life as well. People defend the existence of these power merchants, with half-assed arguments, avoidances, navel gazing, all below the level of enough dissonance to actually abandon the myth making.

Soul - your avoided Bocker's important question to your "theory", then finally managed a completely mushy unconvincing answer.  

In fact, there is NO way a cabal of power merchants can control governments and research insititutes/universities.  Its wishful thinking on your part.  Why?  I dunno why.

I feel sorry for you.

Learn to argue your points convincingly and face the risk of losing the debate and changing your views.  Or retreat to the dangerous worlds of people who think like you and will never push you to live on this earth in this reality.

I thought the hemp vs cotton arguement sounded pretty legit.....  As a matta o fact I replaced the so called black actors would rape our women theory with it.

"LEGALIZE IT, AND DON'T CRITIZIZE IT!" Peter Tosh
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #57 on: October 27, 2011, 11:23:05 am »

I think that some of the disconnect may come from no longer having faith in your fellow human beings.  I reject most conspiracy theories because I refuse to believe that the majority of humans are evil.  I know that some people do horrible things, but they are a tiny percentage of all humans.  For me, I can't accept or believe that enough people, who would have to be evil, have obtained positions where they alone could prevent/cause the theory of the day.

However, if you truly believe that life is stacked against you, for whatever reason, then conspiracy theories can become a place to lay the blame for your lot in life.  Or maybe they provide an outlet for anger or frustration, but I think it always comes back to the individual.  It's much easier to rail against the machine, especially with regards to theories that no single person could ever prevent, than to take control of your own life.  For some people it's easier to blame others for whatever reason, than doing the hard work required to live the life you want.

Offline jkinatl2

• Doo. Dah. Dipp-ity.
« Reply #58 on: October 27, 2011, 11:40:29 am »
The remarkable frequency with which conspiracy theory threads surface on these forums is the global conspiracy that makes it harder for me to come to terms with my diagnosis.

This site routinely comes under concentrated attack by groups of HIV denialists. This is sometimes caused by events like World AIDS Day or National Coming Out Day, or by what I imagine are contentious arguments on the denialists'  web forums by well meaning HIV treatment advocates. Also, when a major figure in the denialist movement dies - of AIDS - it often sends a flurry of activity to the forefront.

I rather imagine Ann and Andy play Whack-A-Mole frequently with trolls and dock puppets here. Some of them are quite adept at ip address spoofing. What pisses me off is that some good people are run off when their first thread, or first foray into this website is attacked/usurped by a troll. Say what you will about bullying or infighting or cabals. Real threats come from THAT section of the web.
"Many people, especially in the gay community, turn to oral sex as a safer alternative in the age of AIDS. And with HIV rates rising, people need to remember that oral sex is safer sex. It's a reasonable alternative."

-Kimberly Page-Shafer, PhD, MPH

Welcome Thread

Offline mecch

« Reply #59 on: October 27, 2011, 07:38:06 pm »
In one of these threads a while back someone hauled out Tuskeegee as proof that anything is possible. 

So I get the point about how if one belongs to a group of people who were, or are still being, abused and denied equal rights and equal humanity, one might give conspiracies cred. But at the end of the day, that is only constructive "resistant" "revolutionary" or "anti-establishment" thoughts and actions IF the evil abuse actually exists.  Cause yeah, then something can get exposed.

But nothing can get exposed in this sort of grand sweaping global Power Broker conspiracy.  I mean, come on.  Henry Kravis?  Henry Kissinger?  This sounds more like the guest list to a SUPER boring late 80's benefit party.  Its pathetic.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #60 on: October 28, 2011, 08:54:04 am »
In my opinion, conspiracy theories serve a purpose. They help people who face an overwhelmingly complex or frustrating situation make sense out of it. The theory provides a sense of control and wellbeing. In the case of HIV isn't it reassuring to believe there IS a cure out there and someone is just keeping it from us rather than accept the belief that there is no cure, there may never be a cure and we are at the mercy of complex forces we cannot understand.

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
« Reply #61 on: October 28, 2011, 11:00:29 am »
In my opinion, conspiracy theories serve a purpose. They help people who face an overwhelmingly complex or frustrating situation make sense out of it. The theory provides a sense of control and wellbeing. In the case of HIV isn't it reassuring to believe there IS a cure out there and someone is just keeping it from us rather than accept the belief that there is no cure, there may never be a cure and we are at the mercy of complex forces we cannot understand.

Just as believing in life after death can soften the final severence of death.

Just as believing in God can give one a sense of control over your future.
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline mecch

« Reply #62 on: October 28, 2011, 11:06:38 am »
But that is a WORST world: 
There is a cure, but an evil cabal of power brokers is profiteering and playing population control and you are the victim.  That is a freaking nightmare.

This is a better world, less anxiety producing:
reality of aids research and treatment in the past 30 years.  reality.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #63 on: October 28, 2011, 11:33:07 am »
This is a better world, less anxiety producing:
reality of aids research and treatment in the past 30 years.  reality.

Yet we have people who are too frightened to take medications that will save their life.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #64 on: October 28, 2011, 11:38:20 am »

Anyone ever notice how beautiful a marijuana plant can look in your foyer?
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline mecch

« Reply #65 on: October 29, 2011, 05:45:04 am »

But does it reek or not?  Don't count on those old New England dames to antiauthority.

Offline Theyer

• Current ambition. Walk the Dog .
« Reply #66 on: October 29, 2011, 06:11:08 am »

Yes
its a good intro to the 154 in the basement
"If we can find the money to kill people, we can find the money to help people ."  Tony Benn

Offline Growler

« Reply #67 on: October 29, 2011, 06:56:45 am »

In the courtyard of my building we have a withered tomato plant in a pot that has only survived because one of the residents thought it was a marijuana plant when it emerged and so decided to water it.

No one's sure how it got there in the first place, although popular speculation is that someone who was drunk, had eaten a hamburger and then threw up in the pot planter. Since the plant has started fruiting, this myth has been debunked as no one eats roma tomatoes on their hamburger.

GROWLER (who'll be making spaghetti bolognaise in about 4-6 weeks time)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2011, 07:00:17 am by Growler »
“If loving someone is putting them in a straitjacket and kicking them down a flight of stairs, then yes, I have loved a few people.”

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.