Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 18, 2024, 10:32:35 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772781
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 328
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 219
Total: 219

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Donna Summer Dead: Queen Of Disco Dies At 63  (Read 14583 times)

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Donna Summer Dead: Queen Of Disco Dies At 63
« on: May 17, 2012, 12:11:02 pm »
O.M.G.... SO MAJORLY TRAGIC

I once saw her with a full orchestra at Carnegie Hall and it was one of the best experiences of my life.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Dachshund

Re: Donna Summer Dead: Queen Of Disco Dies At 63
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2012, 12:28:25 pm »
Oh so sad. I'm so glad I got to experience a gay right of passage by seeing her in concert back in the 70's. R.I.P. girlfriend. :'(

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2012, 12:45:06 pm »
and don't forget her AIDS connection

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSTf0B-9laQ

Patrick Cowley was one of the earliest musicians to die from AIDS in 1982 and this particular mix was very influential for the development of trance music in later years (he also worked with Sylvester)

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2012, 12:52:47 pm »
J'adore Sylvester.

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2012, 01:07:36 pm »
and don't forget her AIDS connection

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSTf0B-9laQ

Patrick Cowley was one of the earliest musicians to die from AIDS in 1982 and this particular mix was very influential for the development of trance music in later years (he also worked with Sylvester)

This actually predates the megamix of I Feel Love...

http://youtu.be/vB63u_2cBtM

Nevertheless, I feel great sadness over the passing of Ms. LaDonna Gaines.
don't equate intelligence with lack of masculinity
Jim Phelps, Mission Impossible

Seroconverted: Early 80s
Tested & confirmed what I already knew: early 90s

Current regimen: Biktarvy. 
Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens
Fun stuff (in the past):  HAV/HBV, crypto, shingles, AIDS, PCP

Jan 2012: 818/21%
Apr 2012: 964/22%
Jul. 2012: 890/21%
Oct. 2012: 920/23%

Still UD after all these years

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2012, 01:17:58 pm »
This actually predates the megamix of I Feel Love...

http://youtu.be/vB63u_2cBtM

(now that you've hijacked this thread)

Yes, love that Tantra as well as Cowley's "Sea Hunt" which IMO is his best -- total sleaze: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LNO1bCA9Klc

Offline denb45

• "1987 Classic Old School POZ+"
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2012, 01:21:28 pm »
Wow, only 63 too  :(  I didn't even know she had lung cancer  :'(
"it's so nice to be insane, cause no-one ask you to explain" Helen Reddy cc 1974

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2012, 01:28:32 pm »
(now that you've hijacked this thread)

No dear, you did that when you connected LaDonna to the Cowley mix  :-*

I was just continuing the six degrees of separation of Patrick's megamixes (because I'm sure not many people are aware that he did that Tantra mix also).

Off to listen to La Summer now.

Carry On

Last regimen:  Atripla (with NO adverse side effects: no vivid dreams and NONE of the problems people who can't tolerate this drug may experience: color me lucky ::))
Past regimens

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2012, 01:54:52 pm »
No dear, you did that when you connected LaDonna to the Cowley mix  :-*

Are you completely daft and brain wrecked with dementia? Cowley was connected to Donna, the thread is about Donna, it's not about Tantra.

Anyway, it's my fucking thread so I can't hijack it in the first place. Hence you've achieved a rare Double Fail.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2012, 02:23:53 pm »
Oh man. We lose another fabulous diva.  She will be missed.

Melody of Love (Morales Classic Club Mix)
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2012, 03:04:55 pm »
Oh man. We lose another fabulous diva.  She will be missed.

Melody of Love (Morales Classic Club Mix)

Leatherdaddy has major lipo ass!

Offline Mus1cl0V3R

« Reply #11 on: May 17, 2012, 03:07:33 pm »
"There will always be a you"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyby8CuPIfs

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 03:24:21 pm »
Very sad.  The local and biggest club here would end the night with Last Dance, without fail.  Think they still do.  It was a bitter-sweet end, because everyone waited for that song, but hated for the night to come to an end. 

Younger folks may remember her more for Con te Partiro.  I loved her version.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E37kgmV4j2c&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #13 on: May 17, 2012, 03:27:35 pm »

Leatherdaddy has major lipo ass!

;D glad u noticed. I coulda cropped it, but it felt kind of à propos for the forums.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #14 on: May 17, 2012, 03:41:28 pm »
Are you completely daft and brain wrecked with dementia? Cowley was connected to Donna, the thread is about Donna, it's not about Tantra.

Whatever. Po -TAY- to, po - TAH- to, girl. 

No doubt Cowley is the first person people think of when you mention La Summer. I wonder how many people outside of the ones who were at the club back then would even know about that mix? Anyway, when you reach my age in a few years since you're not that much younger than me, you'll know what it's like to be senile.

I'll be thinking of you when I pull out this, this, and this and listen to them later tonight.

(Each of which I've had since they were released and all are in mint condition.)

Anyway, it's my fucking thread so I can't hijack it in the first place. Hence you've achieved a rare Double Fail.

PS: I'll take that crown for my rare achievement which you clocked me on now. Love ya, mean it.

Past regimens

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2012, 09:37:29 pm »
I didn't know she had passed away until reading this forum. I had my mp3 player shuffling my entire collection earlier today and "Carry On" came on. She had a great voice.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2012, 09:49:04 pm »
Was anyone here ever into her "I'm a Rainbow" double album? It was recorded in 1981, but didn't see the light of day until 1996.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I'm_a_Rainbow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yvLcDH3ayRU

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2012, 09:54:33 pm »
Oh, and where's lil' Miss Solo_longtimeshit when you need her sloppy ass?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyGJLDLxIp0

... that riff at 2:11 works me OVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH -- always highly featured during super long marathon Vasquez events! High kicks 4 dayz on the dance floor, and copious bumps consumed.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 09:57:21 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline edfu

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2012, 09:59:37 pm »
I'm bereft at Ms. Summer's too-early death, for it is truly the final, crushing end of a most happy era.  However, I cannot help but think of all the beautiful young men who were disco aficionados as I was--lovers, tricks, friends, dance-partners--who are no longer with us and with whom I shared her transcendent talent.  All those hours on the dance floor at the Ice Palace and the Pavilion on Fire Island and at Flamingo, 12 West, The Saint, etc., in NYC were filled with her exceptional vocals and were a bonding dance--and sexual--experience none of us who have survived that time--1975 to 1981--can ever forget.  For those of us who went out dancing at least twice a week, it was when we had no idea of the cataclysmic horror that was soon to follow. 

Thinking on all of this, I realized that, except for my mother, Donna Summer was perhaps the woman I spent the most--and happiest--time with.  She was the background music to most of my most thrilling and erotic experiences, and she changed my life forever.  She is definitely a major part of my happiest memories.

Requiescat in pace.     
"No one will ever be free so long as there are pestilences."--Albert Camus, "The Plague"

"Mankind can never be free until the last brick in the last church falls on the head of the last priest."--Voltaire

Offline Solo_LTSurvivor

• Twerk Baby Twerk
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2012, 11:26:18 pm »
Oh, and where's lil' Miss Solo_longtimeshit when you need her sloppy ass?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyGJLDLxIp0

... that riff at 2:11 works me OVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH -- always highly featured during super long marathon Vasquez events! High kicks 4 dayz on the dance floor, and copious bumps consumed.

Was digging through my boxes looking for my promo 12" of my absolute fave mix, but had to settle for finding it online

Testify! And hands up for the use of copious.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 11:48:16 pm by Solo_LTSurvivor »

Past regimens

Offline red_Dragon888

• Love and Be Love in Return
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2012, 01:09:01 am »
Donna Summer's was one of the High-Lights of my young life.  The Hustle, the Bump, the dress styles and all that looking forward to Friday and Saturday nights. It was the "bests of times" way back when youthful hormones were pumping.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=I3ba3lnFHik

Off Crystal Meth since May 13, 2013.  In recovery with 20 months clean time.

Offline DavidinCA92284

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2012, 01:14:56 am »
Years ago I put all Donna Summer stuff onto CD and then to Computer and then to MP3.   Still have the vinyl.....like that 12" Melody of Love (with cover), She Works Hard For the Money with the Long Version of Unconditional Love, and Could it Be Magic, Walk Away, This Time I know It's For Real, Love Is Gonna Change My Heart, among countless other great long version songs . . . But even though She is gone, her music will always have a special place in my heart . . . as a young kid, the only thing that mattered was coming home from school and turning up the volume to Bad Girls and Dancing - before dancing was cool for a boy and before it was cool to exercise to music.   I thank Donna Summer for making my afternoons and summer evenings a happier time - like the time I went to New York during August of 1978 and to hear Her Music played not only as the Billboard #1 song, but at the Clubs (went in at 16 on a fake ID) was completely amazing.   She was labled as a Disco Diva . . but her voice was more than just a Disco voice.   I could be wrong, but Disco was just something she fell into during her younger years in Germany and was forever associated with it because that was what people wanted to hear from her or produce for her.  I think some of her other songs, like Any Way At All on Her Endless Summer CD shows she had the voice to sing ballads and do them well.  I never thought that I, after 25 years living with HIV/AIDS would be outliving Music Legends like Michael Jackson, Whitney Houston, and Donna Summer.  Just goes to show that life is precious - every day should be spent as a special gift from God and that tomorrow is never promised.  We can make the most of what talents we have and I am greatful to Donna Summer for making that trip to Germany in order for me to have a connection with Her, the writers and producers of Her music, and the people that have been touched and influenced by such a great talent.  Thank you.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2012, 07:57:10 am »
Was digging through my boxes looking for my promo 12" of my absolute fave mix, but had to settle for finding it online

Testify! And hands up for the use of copious.

That's not rare. IIRC it was on the commercial release.

You're failing a lot lately. I'd ask if "Could It Be Magic" but I doubt it's magical for you. ... mais Je T'Aime (Moi Non Plus)
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 08:00:09 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2012, 09:10:38 am »

Just a look back at the fashion:

I will always remember when my first long term partner Philip took me to see the movie Thank Good Its Friday and the song Last Dance came on.  The big lug held my hand in the theater.

I was also a dancer in my spare time in those days and even gave disco dancing lessons.  Yes, I even tied my silver glitter shirt in a french knot at the navel.  :D Happy times!

RIP Ms. Summer.
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Offline RAB

• Joined March 2003
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2012, 12:58:29 pm »
Her death brings back so many memories.  Dancing my but off to her songs, snorting poppers, dripping with sweat. 

I loved all of her music, but especially MacArthur Park.  I think it's my favorite.

Quality of video isn't that great, but you get the feeling for that era.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfL7Gk7Fpes

RIP Donna

RAB

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2012, 02:32:13 pm »
Loved to love you, baby! 
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2012, 02:52:47 pm »
Her death brings back so many memories.  Dancing my but off to her songs, snorting poppers, dripping with sweat. 

RIP Donna

RAB

Those are my memories also. The dancing the sweat the poppers, the music, the volume, the beat, the energy.  All those friends of mine that that I danced with in those days, have since past on.  Everyone of them.  :'(

RIP

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2012, 05:13:33 pm »
I got to thinking about an SNL sketch where fast food workers would tell frustrated customers to simmer down now.  Donna Summer played key part in sketch.

http://929jackfm.com/donna-summer-say-it-backwards-now-stretch-it-out/

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2012, 05:28:15 pm »

When I moved to Florida in 1980, I had an 8-track player in my car. I also had Donna Summer on 8 track.  It helped to keep me awake on the drive down.  :P

I still have the 8-track somewhere around, but I don't have a working 8 - track player. I also have some of her earlier albums.

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2012, 07:46:10 pm »
Original (vinyl) copies of Four Seasons of Love ('76) came with a fold out calendar with photos by Francesco Scavullo. This was a concept album with only four tracks, one for each season of the year (plus a "reprise" track at end of side 3), and the calendar had four panels in a similar vein featuring the singer.

I actually have a copy of this somewhere but locating it would take me a week. Oddly I can't even find a picture of the calendar on the internet.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2012, 09:47:09 pm »

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2012, 12:21:02 am »
***BREAKING*** DONNA SUMMER: 9/11 Gave Me Cancer (not smoking cigarettes!)

Offline tednlou2

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2012, 01:37:14 am »
I just saw footage of her in the studio from the late 70's.  She was smoking and got upset that she was being filmed smoking.  She said she didn't want to be on camera smoking.  I found that strange for those days, when smoking was so common.  I can only take that as she had the habit, but didn't want people seeing her and thinking smoking was cool and fashionable.  If that's the case, she was ahead of her time on that. 

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2012, 08:19:39 am »
http://www.advocate.com/arts-entertainment/music/2012/05/17/exclusive-donna-summer-denies-making-antigay-remarks-hurt-her

EXCLUSIVE: Donna Summer Denied Making Antigay Remarks That Hurt Her Career

Donna Summer, whose post-'70s career was compromised by antigay remarks she allegedly made at a 1983 concert, disputed ever making the comments, blaming them on an angry journalist, and lamented the impact of AIDS on her close friends, during a 1989 interview with The Advocate.

For a profile in the July 4 1989, issue of The Advocate, writer Kevin Koffler visited the entertainer at her suite at a Los Angeles hotel. Before his interview Koffler pondered the remarks that had been attributed to Summer, whose early success was largely due to her significant gay fan base. "God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve," is one comment Summer, who'd recently announced she was a born-again Christian, was alleged to have said at a concert in 1983, as the AIDS epidemic had begun to wreak havoc on the LGBT community. "I have seen the evils of homosexuality; AIDS is the result of your sins" was another. Later in the interview Summer denied ever making either remark.

The following is an excerpt from the 1989 profile:

“I did not make that statement,” Summer says angrily. “Eight years ago, I made a reference to AIDS. What I supposedly said I did not say, and my reference to AIDS was really an innocent reference.

“At the time, I thought AIDS was a herpes pimple, like you get on your mouth. I certainly didn’t have any idea what it really was and certainly if I had, in my heart I would not wish AIDS on anyone. I’m not that kind of person. It’s one of the most horrifying diseases around. I don’t think they’re doing enough for it.

“I’ve lost a lot of friends who have died of AIDS,” continues Summer, tears welling in her eyes. “I’m hurting as much as anyone else at the amount of people who are gone. Last year was an incredible year in terms of friends of mine who died – people who ran my first album, who were really close to me, beautiful guys, and I mean beautiful guys. It is devastating.”

“In the past two years, I’ve done several AIDS benefits, but I’m not going to do AIDS benefits to prove to something that I’m not antigay. Some of the most creative people in this country are gay and have given great things. I have people on my family who are gay. I have people in my life, who have been in my life before any of this stuff went on, who are gay.

“A couple of the people I write with are gay, and they have been ever since I met them. What people want to do with their own bodies is their personal preference. I’m not going to stand in judgment about what the Bible says about someone else’s life. I’ve got things in my own life I’ve got to clean up. What’s in your life is your business.

“I never said, ‘If you are gay, God hates you.’ Come on. Be real. I don’t understand that. Anybody who really knows me knows I wouldn’t say that.

“I never started a war against gay people. It all started with one newspaper writer [Jim Feldman, in a 1983 review of Summer’s post-born-again Atlantic City comeback concert, in the Village Voice]. I did not make those statements… The guy who wrote it, I think was angry at me for accepting God. But his attack wasn’t on God; it was on me.

“I’m not going to defend myself. People are just going to say, ‘She can say anything now’ But if I wrote a vicious story about you and put it in the newspaper, I guarantee that you would run into it for the rest of your life. It’s always going to be in the back of people’s minds, whether you said it or not.

“It hurts. It makes me ache. I can’t stand to talk about it because it hurts so bad. When I first started, they said I was a man — a transvestite. That too was a rumor. It passed.”

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2012, 09:01:37 am »
What is the point of posting that article, which seems to be a whitewash made to say something kind upon her death. Her denials, I dunno, seem fishy and thin. 

She was a great artist, provided endless pleasure, and I don't think we need to engage in the same denial about a period of stupidity in her life caused by christian hate, which was and is very real.  Those christian churches hate gays. And we STILL hear that its Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve, and AIDS is god's punishment for homosexuality. 

Go back to some of the original reporting.
http://www.donna-tribute.com/articles/80/advocate2.htm

That is to say, we can love her, and pay our respects, but we don't have to agree that her bigotry never happened.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:28:17 am by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2012, 09:24:36 am »
When I saw her play at Carnegie Hall it was actually a pricey GMHC benefit. Now there she goes hating gay people again... damn you, Donna!

Furthermore, that filthy closet case (at the time at least) David i-like-young-boys Geffen was running her career at the time of those alleged statements, wasn't he? I bet he made her say those things.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 09:28:07 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2012, 08:40:49 pm »
I was truly shocked; I had no idea she was ill.

If only I had a $1 for every time I danced the "Last Dance"....

RIP Donna
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline OneTampa

• "Butterflies are free."
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2012, 11:32:02 pm »
I played the "Queen is Back" from Donna Summer's Crayons CD yesterday on the way to the car wash. Love the beat and it sounded fierce in my car.  People (young/old/black/white/male/female) turned their heads and smiled when I drove down the street with the sound turned up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbOTgRPK2v4

RIP Ms. Summer.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2012, 11:33:56 pm by OneTampa »
"He is my oldest child. The shy and retiring one over there with the Haitian headdress serving pescaíto frito."

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.