Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:47:46 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 207
Total: 207

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Problems sleeping and getting sick  (Read 6416 times)

Offline December07

Problems sleeping and getting sick
« on: March 06, 2008, 12:46:55 pm »
Hello all -
I was just tested positive back in Dec. 07 and had PCP on top of that. Since then I have been on the med Atripla (started February) and have seen my viral load drop from 125,000 to 1,500. This is great but unfortunately my CD4 has been on a up and down ride. It went from 75 to 274 to 193. To top it all off...I caught a cold (and lost my voice) which has been with me for about 7 days. Kinda freaked that my CD4 will drop again. On top of that I have little or no sleep since being tested positive. The average hours I sleep are about 5-6 hours. I should be sleeping more but even a sleeping pill doesn't help. Don't know what to do here people. I know positive thinking helps recover but all I have been having is negative thinking. Bottom line, need some advice and encouragement. Thanks for reading...

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
Re: Problems sleeping and getting sick
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2008, 01:21:51 pm »
Allow me.  Pumpkin, welcome to the forums first of all.  Now - this "drop" in CD4s.  You can expect them to fluctuate some all the time, HIV or not.  This is because CD4s (and everything else) flows through your bloodstream like leaves floating down a little stream.  Got that image in mind?  OK...so whenever you get stuck for a blood draw, it's like sticking in a little net into the stream to scoop up some leaves.  Exactly how many you catch in the net depends on how many happen to be floating by that point at that moment.  Got it?  It will vary some, so the main thing you are looking for is the trend upward or downward over a few draws.  Also look at it this way:  you may have gone down about 80 or so, but you'd gone up about 200.  You're still on the forward climb. 

You're right on schedule, hon.  No worries at all with those counts.  And speaking of worry:  it's no great suprise that you're having the sleep issues considering where you are on the timeline since diagnosis.  Maybe this I've said will help a little and can remind yourself of it at time for beddy-bye.  As much as I want to comfort you, I wouldn't bullshit you in order to do so.  This is the truth:  you're in a pretty decent position now at 193, and are moving in the right direction.  Now get some zzz's, ok?
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2008, 06:03:11 pm »
Hey December, welcome to the forums. 

Agree with what Timmy said about the CD4s fluctuating. 

As for the sleep issues, I'm sure you're full of a lot of emotions ranging all over the place.  You might try (really) chammomile tea before going to bed.  If it gets too bad, let your doctor know.  There are things (meds) they can use temporarily that wouldn't totally knock you on your ass or get you hooked.  It's important to get the correct sleep.  One of two nights of not sleeping well can be handled, but when it becomes an every night thing, you should really consider having a talk with your doc about it.

Hope to hear more from you. :)
    Luv,
Betty
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline December07

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2008, 06:48:22 pm »
It is nice to feel welcomed. Thanks guys.  :)

I wish my sleeping problem was simple but here is why I can't sleep. I can't remember when this started happening (I think when I started Atripla) but whenever I would lay on my back for bed, I would feel this burning on my upper back. The burning would then cause me to sweat alot (especially my head). I talked to my doctors and they said it is a side effect that would pass or they didn't know what it was. So here we are in March and it is still happening. Infact it happens at work when I am talking to co-workers, the boss or on the phone. I think it is my anxiety level hitting a great high but why would I feel anxiety in bed? Even if I sleep on my side the burning is still felt on the back and sweat occurs. I don't know if anyone else has this issue or knows how to resolve it.

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2008, 10:13:35 pm »
December, anxiety can hit anytime.  Just because you're in bed doesn't mean it will go away-especially if you have a racing mind.  I would urge you to talk to your doctor about this if it's especially bothersome.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Snowangel

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2008, 11:07:26 pm »
Welcome December,
Stress is one of our worst enemies so try to take one day at a time and get some sleep.  Try not overthink and what-if everything.  I just started the Atripla last month and the top of my head has been numb for the last couple of days, these meds affect everyone differently and usually these things pass.  Try to focus on your work and keeping yourself healthy.  If you wet wash clothes or sponges and put them in the freezer and then put them in ziploc bags to put on your back, would that relieve the burning any, so you could sleep more? I wish you the best. Take care,
Snow
Of all the things you wear, your expression is the most important

The heaviest thing you can carry is a grudge..

One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

One thing you can't recycle is wasted time.

Offline komnaes

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2008, 11:14:47 pm »
I think it is my anxiety level hitting a great high but why would I feel anxiety in bed? Even if I sleep on my side the burning is still felt on the back and sweat occurs. I don't know if anyone else has this issue or knows how to resolve it.

I don't have a burning sensation on my back but for a long while (3 months) after my diagnosis I would regularly feel my face burning, my ears go red and throbbing. I am not on meds yet so I don't know if it's anything to do with side effects, but others seem to suggest that there's not a major concern UNLESS it goes on, then you should talk to your doctor.

I have had many anxiety attacks during the initial period after my diagnosis, and for me they always happened while I was laying on my bed. Your mind is trying to shut down but at the same time all those distractions you have while you're fully awake and alert also go away. Your mind begins to wonder, and when it starts to go to places that I know I really shouldn't my face would start to heat up and in some extreme cases my body will even jerk me up.

Just try to relax - one thing I do if I can't sleep because of anxiety I would sit up, do some breathing exercises. Just take few deep breaths first, hold them as long as you can, then breath out and force the air of as much as you can. Do it say 5-10 times, then will your shoulders and back muscle to relax, while the while taking long breath. See it helps.

Hugs, Shuan
Aug 07 Diagnosed
Oct 07 CD4=446(19%) Feb 08 CD4=421(19%)
Jun 08 CD4=325(22%) Jul 08 CD4=301(18%)
Sep 08 CD4=257/VL=75,000 Oct 08 CD4=347(16%)
Dec 08 CD4=270(16%)
Jan 09 CD4=246(13%)/VL=10,000
Feb 09 CD4=233(15%)/VL=13,000
Started meds Sustiva/Epzicom
May 09 CD4=333(24%)/VL=650
Aug 09 CD4=346(24%)/VL=UD
Nov 09 CD4=437(26%)/VL=UD
Feb 10 CD4=471(31%)/VL=UD
June 10 CD4=517 (28%)/VL=UD
Sept 10 CD4=687 (31%)/VL=UD
Jan 11 CD4=557 (30%)/VL=UD
April 11 CD4=569 (32%)/VL=UD
Switched to Epizcom, Reyataz and Norvir
(Interrupted for 2 months with only Epizcom & Reyataz)
July 11 CD=520 (28%)/VL=UD
Oct 11 CD=771 (31%)/VL=UD(<30)
April 12 CD=609 (28%)/VL=UD(<20)
Aug 12 CD=657 (29%)/VL=UD(<20)
Dec 12 CD=532 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
May 13 CD=567 (31%)/VL=UD(<20)
Jan 14 CD=521 (21%)/VL=UD(<50)

Offline December07

« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2008, 06:20:58 pm »
Welcome December,
Stress is one of our worst enemies so try to take one day at a time and get some sleep.  Try not overthink and what-if everything.  I just started the Atripla last month and the top of my head has been numb for the last couple of days, these meds affect everyone differently and usually these things pass.  Try to focus on your work and keeping yourself healthy.  If you wet wash clothes or sponges and put them in the freezer and then put them in ziploc bags to put on your back, would that relieve the burning any, so you could sleep more? I wish you the best. Take care,
Snow

I have these ice packs I bought that last a good while but I really don't want to rely on ice packs for the rest of my life. I tried sleeping without one and the burning would start and stop at times. of course the time I finally drift into la-la land...the burning starts. Now the doc has me on anti-depressant pills which seem to make the sleeping problem worse. So today, I took the anti-depressant pill in the morning instead of the evening. Let's see if I get some rest.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.