Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:55:15 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772946
  • Total Topics: 66310
  • Online Today: 424
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 2
Guests: 376
Total: 378

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Does anybody else have the  (Read 16650 times)

Offline Seven

Does anybody else have the
« on: July 25, 2007, 03:03:25 am »
RUNS LIKE EVERDAY?

ugh, I am sick and tired of pissing outta my ass!
going to the doctor on Friday to get my new cd4 results but have to talk to him about this.
not only does it happen everyday...it happens a few times a day.

am I the only one?

Offline bryonut

• I'm not just sure, I'm HIV positive!
Re: Does anybody else have the
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2007, 03:14:10 am »
Good day Seven

You are not alone. I share in your joy. In fact I think I have developed some sort of callous as a result.. no I'm kidding. Its not fun at all, its inconvenient and sometimes its embarrassing as hell. Have you tried over the counter options like Imodium or the like?

When it gets really bad I revert back that timeless classic, the BRAT diet. Bananas, Plain white rice, Applesauce and Toast. It gets old fast but it eventually works for me.

Strayboy74 posted a recipe for the infamous Super Colon Blocker cookie. I tried it, he wasn't kidding.

I hope you find some relief soon. I feel your pain.

stay hydrated!
bry

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2007, 07:35:07 am »
Hi Seven,

I sure do - unless I take my daily low-dose codeine. I can't take Imodium or that other drug (forget the name) because they make me nauseous.

Try the usual drugs for diarrhea before the codeine though, because you have to be very careful with codeine so that you don't allow yourself to increase your tolerance levels. I have to take a few days off every couple weeks and I have to time it with when I can stay close to a toilet. Doing this, I've been able to remain on the same dosage for five years now.

Using codeine for diarrhea works very well for me, but this is what's called an "off-label" use so officially, I use it to control the hip pain I also experience. My doctor knows my main use, however.

Of course, trying dietary changes should be your first line of attack. In my case, it makes no difference what I eat but everyone is different.

One thing you didn't mention is whether or not you're on any hiv meds. Some of these can cause diarrhea, so if you are on meds, please discuss possible changes with your doc. You need to talk to your doc about the diarrhea regardless. Don't be embarrassed to bring it up - diarrhea is a common complaint with hiv so he/she's heard it all before.

In my case, I'm not on any hiv meds but my doc agrees my diarrhea (I prefer to call it dire-rear ;D ) is most definitely hiv related.

One thing I've found invaluable in dealing with the runs is having baby wipes on hand in my bathroom. Bry, please take note. I think I'd probably have callouses by now too if it weren't for the baby wipes. Try to buy unscented ones - the scented type tend to irritate already irritated skin.

Dire-rear is the bane of my existance!  :-[

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2007, 07:55:30 am »
Premeds and through three different meds I have had to endure the Hershey squirts. I've tried all the recommendations suggested and nothing has worked for me more than the short term. I have learned to live with it...it requires me to be a bit land locked to around noon or so. I've pretty much got the timing and rhythm down so for the most part no surprises. I won't lie it has cut into my social life, but the life of a hermit ain't as bad as they say it is. I wish I could offer you advice, but I can't. I guess what I am trying to say is if you can't "cure" it, it is possible to work around it. My pucker loves the feel of toilet paper enriched with Aloe and E.

I guess this is that manageable thingy I hear everyone talkin' about.

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 12:59:54 pm »
I think most of us has had to endure the squirts. I usually go both ways... :D  I can be squirting for days and end up with a sore ass and then the next thing you know I'm blocked up. I have tried over the counter stuff but can't get past the taste so what I do is eat things I know will constipate me..For me it is usally nuts or cheese. Or if I am  bound up I take Colace. Hope you feel better soon...
Started Atripla/Ziagen on 9/13/07.
10/31/07 CD4-265 VL- undetectable
2/6/08 CD4- 401 VL- undetectable
5/7/08 CD4- 705 VL- undetectable
6/4/08 CD4- 775 VL- undetectable
8/6/08 CD4- 805 VL- undetectable
11/13/08 CD4- 774 VL--undetectable
2/4/09  CD4- 484  VL- 18,000 (2 months off meds)
3/3/09---Starting Back on Meds---
4/27/09 CD4- 664 VL-- undetectable
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600
01-22-10-- CD4- 525 VL- 59,000
Cherish the simple things life has to offer

Offline mjmel

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 01:17:26 pm »
I use to. Everyday. Bad. For several years. Like Hal, it effected my freedom to move around. I had to always know where the bathroom was at all times. If it was too public, I avoided there. Had some close calls and only a couple of accidents-- only once is humiliating, however.
Then an angel a man on this forum suggested something. (philly267 gets pissed-off when i call him an angel) I tried it and it worked for me.
It worked! I'm back to normal bowel movements again. Free. Free At Last!
Pancrecarb MS8 (Rx only--2 capules mornings/1 capule evenings) + one Immodium (mornings only-OTC stuff)
problem solved,
Mike

Additionally: toast & peanut butter, as well as, bananas & oatmeal are fine "binding" breakfast foods.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 01:22:42 pm by mjmel »

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 01:43:43 pm »
I lost significant body mass and about 20 pounds in about six months due to out-of-control squirts. Despite my near-constant bitching, my attending physician considered it an "acceptable" side-effect. Immodium helped, but it wasn't until I fired that doctor and switched meds that it finally stopped for me.

Brent
(Who is generally regular these days)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 02:01:47 pm »
I do not mind being called an angel :)  I'm happy that Pancrecarb has helped you. 

As for Seven, if you are having issues this bad you really MUST take something with each HAART dose, and not "as needed" -- and it often takes months of playing around with amounts to see what balances out your digestive tract, and it can often change over longer periods of time.

I've basically had to take some diarrhea type medication with each and every dose of other HIV meds for close to a decade.  Personally I try and avoid opiates because my body is somewhat allergic to them and I vomit easily... however this prevents me from becoming a heroin junkie.  However, if you can handle it and the diarrhea does not respond well to first-line choices such as imodium, look into obtaining a prescription for tincture of opium.  It will definitely work, though I've heard lately there have been some ADAP restrictions with this.  I know it's not on the formulary here in PA.  I think you live in Canada though so perhaps that's irrelevant.

Like Brent I had similar early experiences with my doctor about the severity of my diarrhea issues, and can only recommend being absolutely resolute and vocal that they not minimize the subject.  I would hope that this is less of an issue these days than it was a decade ago when Protease Inhibitors first came out.
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline Seven

« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 02:32:11 pm »
Yes I am on meds for 2 1/2 years now. Poz for 12 years.
I am bringing this up FOR SURE on friday with the doctor...theres no doubt about it!

right now I am taking Novir, Reyataz and Kivexa and hopefully not for long, I really want my doctor to change my meds on friday I am sick of gaining all this weight.

To top it all off...with the amount of me always pissing outta my ass you think I would have dropped weight by now! Nope, not the case...I guess I ain't so lucky in that department. UGH!

Can't win  :'(  I prolly wouldnt mind it so much if it made me loose the weight...

Offline Bucko

• You need a shine, missy!
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 03:45:25 pm »

Can't win  :'(  I prolly wouldnt mind it so much if it made me loose the weight...

Be careful of what you wish for, Sevvie. Weight loss due to dehydration's no picnic.

Brent
(Who would honestly rather be 165 again)
Blessed with brains, talent and gorgeous tits.

Blathering on AIDSmeds since 2005, provocative from birth

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 08:11:22 pm »
Hey Seven,

All of your meds could cause diarrhea. I guess that is pretty standard with all of the meds.

As Brent said, be careful what you wish for. I just took someone home from the hospital this week after he spent several days receiving IV fluids because of dehydration caused by diarrhea.

Keep that water intake up.

Let us know what your doc says this Friday. I hope you get to switch to something you tolerate better.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 08:36:27 pm »
Seven,  you also need to be aware of your body being able to metabolize your hiv meds completely.  When you are having these squirts there can be problems getting the full benefits out of them.....  Glad your having the doc address it...

Eric  

Offline fearless

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 08:51:32 pm »
Like Brent I had similar early experiences with my doctor about the severity of my diarrhea issues, and can only recommend being absolutely resolute and vocal that they not minimize the subject.  I would hope that this is less of an issue these days than it was a decade ago when Protease Inhibitors first came out.

Unfortunately not, Philly. Not sure if you were around when I was having horrendous problems with diarrhoea, but my concerns were constantly dismissed as a small side-effect I would just have to put up with. When I documented what went in and out over a 7 day period, the doc I saw (not my usual one who was on leave) didn't want to see my notes as he would then need to add it to the paperwork for the trial I was on. When my doctor returned I told him and he gave him a mouthfull. It was only then that I had a full sweet of liver tests, and an ultrasound to find out I had cholestasis.

As Philly said, you need to be resolute about these things. If it's not working for, or not acceptable, say so and don't let them be dismissive.

My bowel movements are still, however, hit and miss. Next visit I'm going to discuss Pancrecarb - Is that a brand name? do you know the active ingredient?
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 11:09:59 pm »
not every day . ... it's like 2-4 x a week for me. gone are the days of feelgood logs. now it's mostly velvet crap and some runs. but if i were to compare my diarrhea situation versus this same month exactly a year ago, i was better off last year, so maybe the meds are breaking my body down  :-[ yeah, i think that's what's going on

Offline Robert

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 11:25:47 pm »
 you know sometimes I can be so dense.  Alex, you're right.  You're absolutley right.  I really hadn't thought of it that way but, yes, it's the meds that are breaking down my body. It isn't the virus.  It's the meds.  I'm tired.  I've got the runs. 

robert

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2007, 06:04:18 am »
About Pancrecarb -

http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/pancrel.htm

I'm thinking of asking my doc about this next time I see him - although I'm not sure if it's available in the UK.

Philly - how quickly do you see the effects of this stuff? I'd want to trial it when I'm taking one of my breaks from the codeine so I need to know how long to give it before I render my verdict. ;)

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline penguin

• The Penguin Whisperer
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2007, 06:40:56 am »
Ann - pancreatin available,but different brand names... Pancrease HL, Nutrizym, Creon, Pancrex - usually prescribed in CF/chronic pancreatitis etc. There are different strength preparations available.

section 1.9.4 in the BNF, if yr interested  :)

kate

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2007, 06:52:08 am »
Thank you for that Kate! Now I know exactly where to direct the Wiz when we talk about it.

Hugs,
Ann
xxx

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #18 on: July 26, 2007, 02:48:29 pm »
Ann, I think I had to play around with the dosage for a good month before finding what worked for me.  It doesn't come in a standard "mg" measurement but I'm on the "MS-8" dose whatever that means.  It was recommended initially that I take 2/twice a day and this was an effort to decrease what was then my 5/twice daily intake of loperamide (imodium, 2mg each so I was taking 20mg of it each day... kind of a lot, no?).  Also at the time I was on a killer squirts combo of Kaletra AND Invirase so I basically was on the toilet constantly.  Currently the meds I'm on (fuzeon, prezista, norvir and truvada) are less intense in the poop area, though the norvir does keep me taking pancrecarb regularly. 

Anyway, I quickly upped the Pancrecarb to 3/twice daily and still took some immodium too, though half as much.  The thing is that Pancrecarb addresses the cause, not the symptom (i.e. absorption) whereas the other meds just try and stop you up.  The thinking is that Pancrecarb, as a digestive enzyme, allows you to more optimally absorb medication as it passes through your digestive tract... obviously of great importance to all of us.  Better absorption has the side effect, beneficial of course, of decreasing diarrhea.  So for me it's a win-win situation.

I'm not going to promise it will work for everyone, but I'm encouraged that Mike (mjmel) has found it useful.  This is not a home remedy of mine or anything, it was recommended to me by my AIDS clinic here 2 years ago, and is actually on our PA state ADAP formulary and fully covered.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #19 on: July 26, 2007, 03:27:14 pm »
Thanks Philly,

The breakdown of what "MS-8" means is on the first page of the rxlist info I linked to earlier - http://www.rxlist.com/cgi/generic/pancrel.htm

One thing I'm still interested in is - how quickly does it take effect? Is it something you have to give a few days before you can see a difference? My codeine breaks are usually two to three days long, so I don't want to give up prematurely.

For me it's not just having the runs, it's also the gut-wrenching pains I get with it. It feels like someone is wringing out my small intestine - and that can go on for hours, even when I don't actually need to... er, run.

In some ways, I'm happy to stick with the codeine. It works for me. The downside is I get tired of being grilled about it. You would think that five years on the same low dose would alert doctors to the fact that I don't have a "problem" with it.

~sigh~

Anyway, how long before the effects are noticable?

And by the way, I'm not on meds; my dire-rear is totally hiv owned and operated. ;D ;)

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2007, 04:14:41 pm »
Sorry if I was not clear.  I don't think you should look at Pancrecarb in the same way as a codeine based medication... it's more of a long-term therapeutic thing IMO as a digestive aid.  Plus it's been 2 years since I first started taking it so I can't really recall, I just know I had to play around with the dosing like I said until I got it right.  Maybe Mike can weigh in or you should PM him as I know he just started on it in the past 3-4 months.

And as you're not on meds I can't even clearly say how much this will help you -- so VERY out of my ball park, dear!

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2007, 04:55:36 pm »
Mike? What do you think?

I was thinking it might be a meds thing, but I'm willing to try it. I'll see what the Wiz has to say about it - or his underling, depending on who I see in August.

I'll try anything once. :D

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2007, 05:19:18 pm »
Ann, do you have a lot of gas issues?  Is that's what is contributing to the discomfort?  Because Pancrecarb also greatly helps flatulence issues.

Offline zachysmom

« Reply #23 on: July 26, 2007, 05:41:06 pm »
I think it's a combo of the  meds and the HIV, but my husband and I take one bottle of Danactive everyday, and it  seems to help regulate us. My husband has in addition to the regular symtoms, IBS, and his potty problems were a lot worse than mine, they have improved since starting to drink Danactive. So try that and see what works.
Everyone else's suggestions are great as well.
Good luck
Nicole
From Russia with love,
Nicole

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #24 on: July 26, 2007, 08:24:25 pm »
Ann, do you have a lot of gas issues?  Is that's what is contributing to the discomfort?  Because Pancrecarb also greatly helps flatulence issues.

Not really, no. Usually, when I think it's gas, it turns out to be... well, you know. Not nice. ::) I quit thinking "gas" and started thinking "run!" a few years back.

Ann
(who has tried Danactive and other probiotics to no avail)

[Damn hiv!]

on edit

The pain I experience feels more like my small intestines have gone into overdrive than it does gas. I've had gas attacks before now from foods, and it's definitely a different feeling, although it took me a while to realise. At the risk of sounding like a broken record... Damn hiv!
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 08:31:11 pm by Ann »

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline BT65

• Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: July 26, 2007, 08:33:55 pm »
Ann, the "other medicine" you were trying to think of in an earlier post is probably Lomotil.  That never worked for me, either.
I've never killed anyone, but I frequently get satisfaction reading the obituary notices.-Clarence Darrow

Condom and Lube Info https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/safer-sex
Please check out our lessons on PEP and PrEP. https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/pep-prep

https://www.poz.com/basics/hiv-basics/treatmentasprevention-tasp

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2007, 08:48:47 pm »
Ann, the "other medicine" you were trying to think of in an earlier post is probably Lomotil.  That never worked for me, either.

That's the one! Thanks. ;)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2007, 12:12:08 am »
you know sometimes I can be so dense.  Alex, you're right.  You're absolutley right.  I really hadn't thought of it that way but, yes, it's the meds that are breaking down my body. It isn't the virus.  It's the meds.  I'm tired.  I've got the runs. 

robert

well, the good news is this past week i didn't have any dire rear. ... but i know hiv wihtout meds can cause dire rear as i suffered in early 2005 for over a week. but meds can make things crazier. the key word here is can - how apropos  :D

Offline J.R.E.

• Positive since 1985, joined forums 12/03
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2007, 06:46:10 am »
Hello Seven,

I've been fortunate. I haven't had the problem with the craps before starting on medication, or after. Perhaps the meds are being gentle with me right now, along with the combination of my diet, But I knock on wood, that I haven't had this problem.

Hope things start improving for you soon.

Take care------Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

As of Oct 2nd, 2023, Viral load Undetectable.
CD 4 @676 /  CD4 % @ 18 %
Lymphocytes,absolute-3815 (within range)

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2007, 06:48:19 am »

Make sure to check out this link, from the lessons section. See if there is something there that may help you ;

http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/Nausea_4855.shtml

Ray
Current Meds ; Viramune / Epzicom Eliquis, Diltiazem. Pravastatin 80mg, Ezetimibe. UPDATED 2/18/24
 Tested positive in 1985,.. In October of 2003, My t-cell count was 16, Viral load was over 500,000, Percentage at that time was 5%. I started on  HAART on October 24th, 2003.

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline Grinch

« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2007, 08:47:50 am »
Everyday for three years.  Switched to Atripla a couple weeks ago.  Now I have actual bowel movements most days. Also lost over 5 pounds.  I'm so glad to be away from Kaletra.  Though the capsules were better than then gel caps!

Offline mjmel

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2007, 07:38:19 pm »
Mike? What do you think?

I was thinking it might be a meds thing, but I'm willing to try it. I'll see what the Wiz has to say about it - or his underling, depending on who I see in August.

I'll try anything once. :D

Ann

I take doses of pancrecarb MS8 and Immodium (over the counter) Dosage: 2 caps in morning + 1 immodium AD; then one capsule pancrecarb MS8 (no immodium) when I take my evening dose of meds. It corrected severe diarrhea in 3 days............maybe just 2 days.
I am happy with this dosage, although I might increase or decrease if need be. So far, success.
When I forget to take 'em--I realize it with a few hours. That's when I was convinced, without a doubt, what was making the difference.
Pancrecarb is expensive here in US. Thankfully, my med card covers it with a co-pay of $2.00.
Good hunting Ann.

Mike

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2007, 04:03:52 am »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your input - much appreciated! I was thinking yesterday when Alex bumped the thread that I should send you a PM about it before my appointment with the Wiz next week.

I'm really happy to hear that the difference can be seen in just a couple days. I'm even more eager to try it now, but I'm not sure I'll be allowed to have it. Depends on whether or not it's an "off-label" use. I'll be using people's experiences here in my defence, along with the fact that it's on at least one State's ADAP formulary - so it must have a proven track record in PLWs. We'll see and I'll let you know. My appointment is on the 14th.

Keep your fingers crossed and your butt cheeks clenched for me! ;D

Thanks again Mike!

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2007, 04:33:22 am »
Ann said:"For me it's not just having the runs, it's also the gut-wrenching pains I get with it. It feels like someone is wringing out my small intestine - and that can go on for hours, even when I don't actually need to... er, run."

I get those same symptoms when I take Metformin(1000mg 2x daily). I get gas and cramps from it. Let me tell you, it is hard to tell gas from a leak sometimes. I have whined to my doctor and my pharmacist to no avail. Pharmacist said it is a side effect of the pill which can last up to 2 weeks...Oh Joy.... ::)
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline J.R.E.

« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2007, 08:04:48 am »
I think it's a combo of the  meds and the HIV, but my husband and I take one bottle of Danactive everyday, and it  seems to help regulate us.

I also do a Danactive everyday. Who knows..... I also have yogurt daily.

Ray

72 YEARS YOUNG

Offline mjmel

« Reply #35 on: August 06, 2007, 08:32:38 am »
.... Let me tell you, it is hard to tell gas from a leak sometimes. ...

Yes! Especially distressful when you're standing in the middle of a department store or supermarket or............ riding public transportation!

Mike

Offline Queen Tokelove

• Smokey the Smurf
« Reply #36 on: August 06, 2007, 11:47:14 am »
Yes! Especially distressful when you're standing in the middle of a department store or supermarket or............ riding public transportation!

Mike

I have a car, so I am safe there but if I am behind the wheel, it is sheer misery. The gas is just terrible and usually after I'm done leaving my offering with the porcelain god, my cat won't even use his litterbox unless I light an incense then he will think about it... ;D
6/17/09 CD4- 438 VL- 439
8/09 CD4- 404 VL- 1,600

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #37 on: August 06, 2007, 12:56:21 pm »
If you don't have Pancrecarb in your country from what I have read you need to look for a pancreatic enzyme tablet that contains lipase, and that also is entric-coated (insures that it reaches the small intestine) and a bicarbonate (for proper pH level for the enzyme to work).

Dan J.

« Reply #38 on: August 06, 2007, 01:31:13 pm »
Oh yeah, I have the "squirts" everyday.  I have come to the conclusion it's just something I am going to have to live with. That is why I make sure I drink plenty of water everyday. I have more problems with abdominal discomfort than I do with the diarrhea.

Dan

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #39 on: August 06, 2007, 04:41:17 pm »
If you don't have Pancrecarb in your country from what I have read you need to look for a pancreatic enzyme tablet that contains lipase, and that also is entric-coated (insures that it reaches the small intestine) and a bicarbonate (for proper pH level for the enzyme to work).

Philly, we have pancrecarb, Kate told me where to find it in the British formulary. What I don't know is if it has been approved here for hiv-related diarrhea. If not, that means it would be what they call off-label use (using a drug for something other than what it's approved for) and I'm not sure my doc will write the script if that's the case. Cross your tootsies for me. ;)

Ann
(who's probably worrying for no good reason... as usual)

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2007, 06:35:47 am »
I've got an update, if anyone is interested.

I saw Gerry, the Wiz's current right-hand man. He'd never heard of pancrecarb being used for people with hiv-related diarrhea. He had a quick chat with the Wiz and he'd never heard of it either. When I told him it was on ADAP formularies in the States, he became very interested. They're looking into it and will get back to me when I see them next month.

We talked about how it may only help people on hiv meds (perhaps the meds are inhibiting production of these enzymes?) but he was very excited about this drug's potential. If nothing else, maybe my prompting will help others.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.