Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 03:03:51 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 267
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 198
Total: 198

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Mel Gibson Hates Gays too  (Read 19900 times)

Offline Jeffreyj

Mel Gibson Hates Gays too
« on: August 01, 2006, 05:51:49 pm »
I have a friend well connected to the Hollywood scene. It is widely known that Gibson hates gays. I can't say I'm surprised. I had my doubts a year ago when I heard this. Those doubts have now been erased.
Positive since 1985

Offline cmhjeff

Re: Mel Gibson Hates Gays too
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2006, 06:00:58 pm »
I heard this years ago and for that reason won't go to his movies.

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2006, 06:19:13 pm »
I will never support anything his does. The man is ill. On many levels.
Positive since 1985

Offline david25luvit

• Member since March 2005
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2006, 07:21:19 pm »
Like many artist..past and present... Mel Gibson is a tortured soul.  :o And although I do not care for him as a person...his views and attitudes...I do enjoy his films.  At least the ones he's directed.  The one he has coming out soon ( I saw the previews at the theatre) looks like it should be a great movie and no doubt I'll be sitting on the front row.  Just my opinion ::)
In Memory of
Raymond David McRae III
Nov. 25, 1972- Oct. 15, 2004
I miss him terribly..........

Offline fearless

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2006, 07:22:58 pm »
I think his words on gays were "I don't like the way they walk, and I don't like the way that they talk"
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline Teresa

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2006, 07:29:45 pm »
I have always like Mel Gibson movies.  The ones hes starred in as well as the ones hes directed.

I thought when he was arrested he only made anti-semitic comments. Which is really sad!

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2006, 08:02:14 pm »
Thats pretty wild...  I met Mell 7 years ago and sat in a support group next to him...  I should have given him a kiss.. ;D

Offline Basquo

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2006, 08:07:57 pm »
crap...look at his mugshot...looks like I lent him the shirt from my avatar...

Offline fearless

« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2006, 08:14:00 pm »
He didn't make any anti gay sentiments in his recent outburst. the don't like the way they walk/talk comment was made a long time ago, possible while he was still in Aus.
I don't like him or his movies one bit >:(
Be forgiving, be grateful, be optimistic

Offline ademas

« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2006, 08:21:44 pm »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mel_Gibson

Accusations of homophobia
Some gay rights groups accused Gibson of homophobia, after a 1992 interview in the Spanish magazine El Pais. Asked what he thought of gay people, he said, "They take it up the ass." Gibson gestured descriptively, continuing, "This is only for taking a shit." When the interviewer recalled that Gibson previously had expressed fear that people would think he is gay because he's an actor, Gibson replied, "Do I sound like a homosexual? Do I talk like them? Do I move like them? I think not." He later defended his comments on Good Morning America, saying, "[Those remarks were a response] to a direct question. If someone wants my opinion, I'll give it. What, am I supposed to lie to them?"[19][20]

In January 1997, to make amends with the gay community, Gibson and the Gay and Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation hosted ten lesbian and gay filmmakers for an on-location seminar on the set of the movie Conspiracy Theory.[21]*

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*I was living in Hollywood at the time, and it was quite the controversy. 

His attempts to reach out and make amends to the gay community were widely viewed as contrived and disingenuous.

He was an asshole 14 years ago, and he's still an asshole.

It has nothing to do with alcohol.  His BAC was .12, fcol.  Too high to drive legally, but certainly not stumbling, drooling, out-of-your-mind drunk--particularly for a 50 year-old man with a long-term penchant for the bottle.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 10:04:35 pm by ademas »

Offline MSPspud

• Joined Mar 2005 - Formerly UofMurbs
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2006, 08:28:33 pm »
I've boycotted his films for years, even though my friends insist Braveheart is a great movie.  I just can't bring myself to knowingly support that a-hole in any way shape or form.

Offline jordan

• What I want is a celebration
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2006, 08:37:31 pm »

You can read more about his recent incident here:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/melgibsonmug1.html
If you think your lonely now, wait until tonight.

Offline Matty the Damned

• Antipodean in every sense of the word
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2006, 08:38:33 pm »
Some good news on this matter.

Gibson (who spent a considerable amount of his younger years in Australia) was to be appointed as a Life Governor of the National Institute of Dramatic Arts (NIDA). NIDA is generally held to be Australia's leading drama school and Gibson is an alumnus.

After his latest drunken rant about the Jews, this appointment is "under review".

Gibson is a notorious bigot and has long been known to hold anti-semitic attitudes, just like his odious father. I mean think that appalling film he made would have been better titled The Bloodlust of the Yids than The Passion of the Christ. It is one of the most offensive and anti-semitic things I've ever seen.

MtD
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 09:15:06 pm by matty.the.damned »

Offline jack

• fomerly the loser known as Jake
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2006, 09:06:12 pm »
dont understand why entertainers feel compelled to tell us their opinions on everything. I wanna be entertained not bored.  Most of these boneheads dont even have an education. Dont they understand they are costing themselves customers.
You all have found one crazy dude, and maybe the only person in the entertainment business who openly dislikes gays.  How do you think it feels to be a conservative or libertarian? Its hard to find one person who doesnt hate you.
Is there some univeral norm for the way gay people walk and talk? my fav is "agador" in the bird cage without his chuse. wait, i forgot about nathan lane as john wayne. i have gone off topic again.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2006, 09:17:21 pm »
How do you think it feels to be a conservative or libertarian? Its hard to find one person who doesnt hate you.

Everyone hates conservatives? Oh come on Jakey that's something of a long bow to draw. You're right about Libertarians, everyone does hate them and for good reason.

They're the dogshit of politics. ;)

MtD

Offline Life

• Member 2005
« Reply #15 on: August 01, 2006, 09:28:09 pm »
"Swing Away Mel, swing away...."

People break down into two groups..
              when they experience something lucky.
              Group number one sees it as more than luck,
              more than coincidence.
              They see it as a sign...
              evidence that there is someone up there
              watching out for them.
              Group number two sees it as just pure luck,
              a happy turn of chance.
              I'm sure the people in group number two
              are looking at those lights in a very suspicious way.
              For them, the situation isn't   -  .
              Could be bad, could be good.
              But deep down,
              they feel that whatever happens,
              they're on their own.
              And that fills them with fear.
              Yeah, there are those people.
              But there's a whole lot of people in the group number one.
              When they see those lights,
              they're looking at a miracle.
              And deep down, they feel that whatever's going to happen,
              there'll be someone there to help them.
              And that fills them with hope.
              See, what you have to  ask yourself is, what  kind of person are you?
               Are you the kind who  sees signs, sees miracles?
               Or do you believe that  people just get lucky?
               Or look at the question  this way...
               is it possible that there  are no coincidences?
               It could also just mean I am totally  full of shit have an alcohol problem
              and have this problem with the gays... Go Figure?

Offline alisenjafi

• They say HIV comes from monkeys!
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2006, 09:31:21 pm »
What makes me laugh is the guy they worship was brought up Jewish and their god did all all that marvelous stuff for the Jews. I notice when people are bigoted they are bigoted against everyone but those like them.
Wonder how the Aussies felt when he moved into the neighborhood?
Cheers
Johnny
"You shut your mouth
how can you say
I go about things the wrong way
I am human and I need to be loved
just like everybody else does"
The Smiths

Offline jack

« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2006, 09:33:02 pm »
Matty, apparently you haven't watched many US tv shows, US news shows, or US movies lately.
(which is probably a good thing).

Offline jack

« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2006, 09:35:19 pm »
Matty, I did not mean to equate the hatred that some knuckleheads have towards gays to the hatred of conservatives by other knuckleheads. I was only commenting on the volume out of Hwood.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2006, 09:37:50 pm »
Matty, I did not mean to equate the hatred that some knuckleheads have towards gays to the hatred of conservatives by other knuckleheads. I was only commenting on the volume out of Hwood.

It's cool Jakey, I know what you mean. It's the typical conservative whine about the evil "liberal media" which is, like almost everything else concocted by the Right a total load of crap.

We get Fox News here too babe.

MtD

Offline Jody

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2006, 09:47:11 pm »
Being Jewish I was very hurt by Mel Gibson's comments that "the Jews start all the wars", particularly since I feel awful about the whole damned mess going on in Lebanon now with all the Israeli soldiers being seen as Goliath, and all the displaced, not to mention murdered and injured people (on both sides of the dispute)...But for centuries Jews were the victims of wars and disputes fought by religious majorities and lived their lives at the whims of kings, queens, czars, nobility, and clergy lay people...So Gibson ought to check his history a little...Actually I used to think he was a cool straight guy and I thought his acting was OK, but now that he has more wrinkles than an un-made bed at the Motel 6, I guess he is really losing it !!!

Tee Hee Hee.

Jody  ;D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2006, 09:50:25 pm by Jody »
"Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world".
 "Try to discover that you are the song that the morning brings."

Grateful Dead

Offline jack

« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2006, 09:50:30 pm »
Matty, just about every actor or musician I like is far left and it seems as if they spend their entire life outside of work bashing righty. robin williams,Clooney(it good all his recent movies suck cause I don't mind missing them),martin sheen(and the entire cast of the absolute best show on network tv),dreyfuss,spacey,redford,newman,robbins and his commie wife and so many others I just cant go on,its too depressing. Do you know how hard it is to buy products,even though you love them,from people who ridicule you day and night? Don't answer that.

Offline jack

« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2006, 09:55:49 pm »
Jody, I guess if you are Jewish and Gay, you are really on this guys shit list. Its hard to believe the same guy who made "man without a face" really harbors these kinds of feelings.

Not to change the subject but posting crap from wikepedia is really sorta of worthless. It has no credibility. Can't anyone contribute?

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #23 on: August 01, 2006, 10:03:45 pm »
Not to change the subject but posting crap from wikepedia is really sorta of worthless. It has no credibility. Can't anyone contribute?

I totally agree Jakey. Anyone who relies on Wikipedia to support a position has lost the argument in my opinion. Wikipedians are weirdos. It's like a cult. Check out the "talk" pages on their articles. Looooooooooonies.

MtD

Offline HIVworker

• HIV researcher
« Reply #24 on: August 01, 2006, 10:06:41 pm »
I found it very funny because I didn't think the public opinion of him could get lower - and he does that. He is the Hollywood Prince Philip for sticking his foot in it.

R
NB. Any advice about HIV is given in addition to your own medical advice and not intended to replace it. You should never make clinical decisions based on what anyone says on the internet but rather check with your ID doctor first. Discussions from the internet are just that - Discussions. They may give you food for thought, but they should not direct you to do anything but fuel discussion.

Offline ademas

« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2006, 10:08:23 pm »

Har!  I actually agree...in fact, I just edited out the stuff about his later movies.

I was looking for the quotes from that Spanish magazine, which I didn't recall verbatim, which stirred up the controversy about Mel and his homophobia back in '92.

Yes...I took the google path of least resistance.  Sue me.

Offline jack

« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2006, 10:12:49 pm »
ademus. It just seems in the past few months whenever you google something you get some wakypedia link. It wasn't till about third time that I realized it was all bullshit.

Offline ademas

« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2006, 10:17:00 pm »
I hear you, jack.  I do. 
Just wait 'til our ISP's have it their way.
It's only going to get worse.

Offline AlanBama

• Alabama: the 'other' 3rd World Country!
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2006, 11:08:26 pm »
In my mind he's right up there (or down there) with Tom Cruise.  I think they're both idiots.

Alan (who may be a fag but at least I don't have a mug shot!)
"Remember my sentimental friend that a heart is not judged by how much you love, but by how much you are loved by others." - The Wizard of Oz

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2006, 06:50:29 am »
LOL Allan..3 apologies and counting. Come on Mel, get the script right! FOR God's SAKE!
Positive since 1985

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2006, 09:03:03 am »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 06:40:48 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline ARMANDO

« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2006, 09:08:48 am »
I LOVE MEL GIBSON AND I WILL CONTINUE TO SEE ALL HIS MOVIES!!!IF HE HAS A DRINKING PROBLEM ,THATS HIS PROBLEM AND NOBODY ELSES.WE ALL HAVE A LITTLE BIT OF RACISM IN US,IT'S PART OF OUR NATURE AND THATS THE WAY IT WILL ALWAYS BE!!!

Offline RapidRod

« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2006, 09:20:15 am »
ARMANDO, I agree with you. I don't think that anyone that has gotten smashed didn't make some sort of ass out of themselves. If it would have been anyone of us here, you would have never heard a thing of it. Just because they are actors, doesn't make them different than anyone of us. 

Offline Jeffreyj

« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2006, 09:25:44 am »
Rapid Rod...I think being an Actor and making the millions he makes, holds him to a higher standard then most "normal"  people. That just comes with the territory.
Positive since 1985

Offline Alain

• I am.
« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2006, 10:37:01 am »
« Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 06:40:16 pm by cowandalehouse »

Offline Joe K

• Standard
  • 31 Years Poz
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2006, 02:36:25 pm »
I used to like Mel Gibson and his movies, but I have no tolerance for bigots who spout whatever hatred enters their mind.  His latest tirade was his mind speaking freely and honestly as the alcohol had dampened his "censuring" ability.  Think about this.  Mel was raised by a father who denies the Holocaust ever happened, so why is anyone surprised that he hates Jews?

Mel is welcome to his problems and opinions as I am to mine.  He has proved himself to be a jerk and as such I won't spend one penny to enrich such a bigot.

And Armando, you are dead wrong, because very few of us are racists, because racism is not built into our genes, but rather it is a learned behavior.  No one is ever born a racist or bigot, they are taught how to do it by someone else.  For you to suggest that it is an inborn trait is just another excuse racists use for why they are so despicable.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 04:57:58 pm by killfoile »

Offline jack

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2006, 04:00:24 pm »
I am not defending Mel cause if you have seen Passion, which I liked, he definately has it in for Jews, but alcohol is a poison. Some of us are allergic to it. I know I am. I loved to drink, but I would do and say things on alcohol that I would never do sober. I know many people who are very nice when sober,but turn into people you want to run from after a few drinks, and they have no idea how they are acting.
Mel shouldnt drink cause he cant drink.  Thats why I quit drinking(with the aid of crixivan), and it saved my life.

Offline Dachshund

« Reply #37 on: August 03, 2006, 04:40:47 pm »
I am not defending Mel cause if you have seen Passion, which I liked, he definately has it in for Jews, but alcohol is a poison. Some of us are allergic to it. I know I am. I loved to drink, but I would do and say things on alcohol that I would never do sober. I know many people who are very nice when sober,but turn into people you want to run from after a few drinks, and they have no idea how they are acting.
Mel shouldnt drink cause he cant drink.  Thats why I quit drinking(with the aid of crixivan), and it saved my life.

You are nice when you are sober? :o

Offline Lwood

• Here's Lookin At You....
« Reply #38 on: August 03, 2006, 04:53:50 pm »
Theres a pretty good video on YouTube now , a sort of re enactment of the arrest , I'm not going to post a link to it because its pretty offensive but a youtube tag search for Mel Gibson DUI video should find it...
I wonder if he actually called a female officer 'SugarT***S' ?  Ive heard that from several different places...  if it had been anyone else they probablly would have taken turns alternately Tasering and PepperSpraying his ass.
I wonder if theyll ever release the actual video from the Cop car.

He's entitled to his drunken rants as much as the next guy, but as someone in the public eye , his career is literally a Popularity Contest and I doubt he'll ever fully regain his credability.
"Fortunately, I Keep My T Cells Numbered For Just Such An Emergency"
  -Either Foghorn Leghorn or Johnny Cash

Offline Teresa

« Reply #39 on: August 03, 2006, 07:38:47 pm »
I was watching the View the other day and Joy Behar said that she thinks the only way Mel Gibson can make it up to the Jewish community would be for a public circumcision.

I thought that was funny.

Teresa
Hubby HIV+ 5/5/06
CD4:320
  %: 26.7
 VL: <20
Atripla (started it 8/24/06)

Offline Domymonkey

« Reply #40 on: August 03, 2006, 08:28:34 pm »
I tried this last night but it got lost. So here goes again. Do any of these readers think the "Monkey in Chief" has any different feelings. Bush is a pupett and his handlers pretty much tell him what to think. So it is not a far streach to think Our President ( hate to use those words) has not said the same about Jews, Nergos and Gays). But for some reason the "Coup Boy" is immune to such to the same. Mel Gibson was beaten near death as a kid and was takne in by the church. His movies reflect a strong feeling od betrayal and violence. He came from nothing to become a good actor and director. It is just the American way to hail someone until it is time to kick the to the curb. Castro, Norega,Saddam. Batiste and the list goes on. Why is it that it is ok to Bring in Nixon  and then when things turn so the populus. Heck I personally think the 51st state Isreal is just a conduit for American arms makers to sell more weapons. Think of how much tax dollars goes to Isreal just to be spent back in the USE to byu arms. So if in this country one can not express a view ( however ture) then hell it is really the new World Order. Monkey Boy ( Bush) attempts to massage a female chancellor of Germany and nothing much gets said. Bush an ex drunk pune in immune from any critisim, but a drunk Mel Gibson says Jews are responsible for most Wars( think about the facts) and now it is time to kick him to the curb??? Why is the mentality of this country such that we back a hero until he fucks up. How many elected officials are guilty of much worse wrong doing and we simply forget?? It is simple "Short Attention Span" So simply give the man a break, cause I have been drunk and said shit , and if he is not in love with the Jews , there are amny,many who share the same feeling. Hell you think Monkey Boy Bush lover Gays, Jews or Niggers? I think not . It is simply a media distraction tool to give people a feeling their opinion matters, cause for sure the last "Cuop" is a great indication that Diebold machines helped the dick steal another election ( and he will do it a third time 22ed ammendment repael is in the house) so I dislike a lot of people as they dislike me ( road rage) so get off the high horse and put it into prespective. America kissed Saddams ass when it was good. Please do not be hipprotical. Think of us with HIV or AIDS are the doctors we see really interested in oue well being or just in "business" to push the latest Pharmg Chick meds .. Angry , yes. But look deep and see what it is really about. Be well, live ( without suffering) Me..

Offline frankva

« Reply #41 on: August 03, 2006, 10:45:56 pm »
I just don't buy the argument that you start spouting ideas you disbelieve because you've had a few drinks. I wouldn't start saying I was a communist, or a Republican for that matter, just because I was drunk.If anything I think alcohol is something of a truth serum and deep seated things you believe, which you usually suppress, come out. Judging from Gibson's virulent comments i.e "Are you a Jew?", "Those fu.....g Jews" and "Jews start all the wars" I think Gibson has an irrational, deep seated anti-semitism. Apparently he must have fallen for much of his father's infamous anti-semitism. His father is a well known holocaust denialist.I think his apologies are purely pr damage control. I also think, added to some of his previous oddball comments, that he isn't very bright.He's still cute, but pretty is as pretty does.

Offline Matty the Damned

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2006, 11:59:34 pm »
Gibson has form for being a bigot. He's not just a homophobe, but he's a noted jew-baiter as well. How else could one describe that fucking dreadful film he made?

Consider his revolting father Hutton -- the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

MtD

Offline allopathicholistic

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2006, 12:15:07 am »
Mel Gibson was beaten near death as a kid and was takne in by the church.

who beat him? sorry i know very little about Mel Gibson apart from him playing the Martian-destroying spiritually tormented widower in Signs

thanks

Offline randym431

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2006, 06:04:28 am »
First time I seen him in the movie TIM I thought he was a joke and a movie whore. If there was a buck in it, he's love Gays. He's just a jerk and a so so actor. He doesnt deserve all this attention, good or bad. And I can never get over why people care what some movie actor thinks? You're average N.Y. cab driver has more common sense than any movie/TV actor. Really...
Diag Sept 2005 VL 1mill, CD4 85, 3%, weight 143# (195# was normal)
Feb 2021, undetectable, weight 215#

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.