Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:11:02 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 236
Total: 237

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: waiting not so patiently  (Read 11505 times)

Offline SecretKeeper

waiting not so patiently
« on: September 01, 2007, 10:22:35 am »
My husband tested poz mid-June, I tested negative.  My test was done only two weeks after our last sexual encounter (an extremely risky encounter I might add - but did not know there was any chance of him being poz at that time).  Anyway, I've never gone through any seroconversion illness symptoms, but for the last few weeks I just haven't felt "right".  So, since it's been at least 8 weeks since my last test and 11 weeks since that night of crazy sex, I felt compelled to get tested again.  It was some type of oral test that tasted salty and they do a western blot on if it comes back positive - I won't have to give any blood samples for a confirmatory test.  It's been just over a week now and still no results.  I don't fear the outcome, it just sucks waiting.  I was just wondering if anyone had to wait this long for negative results.  I went to a different clinic then my husband goes to because they didn't want to test me again until October and I didn't want to wait that long - I guess not that it would've mattered at this point.  They told me that the test could take two weeks, but why would it take that long if it is negative.  If it was negative shouldn't I get it back in a weeks time?  I know I'm probably being paranoid and a lot of my aches and pains and weird sensations are probably more mental that actually physical.  Anyone else's experience would maybe put my mind at ease for the long holiday weekend.  (I've already had to wait through one weekend - that was long enough!!)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
    • Num is sum qui mentiar tibi?
Re: waiting not so patiently
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2007, 10:35:08 am »
SK,

I've moved your thread from the Am I Infected forum. We'd rather you posted your concerns in this forum (Someone I Care About) as you are in a relationship and living with someone who is hiv positive. Thank you for your cooperation.

It doesn't make a difference what the test results are, it can still take up to two weeks to get your results.

The vast majority of people who have actually been infected will seroconvert and test positive by six weeks. If your current test results come back negative, it's highly unlikely you've been infected.

The symptoms you're worried about could be caused by anything, including the anger and anxiety you've been experiencing. You need to discuss how you've been feeling with your doctor.

Keep us posted.

Ann
Condoms are a girl's best friend

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

Nymphomaniac: a woman as obsessed with sex as an average man. Mignon McLaughlin

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline SecretKeeper

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2007, 10:45:42 am »
Thanks Ann - all of your information is always helpful.  I know 99% is mental and I'm not so worried about being poz - I doubt that I am, it's just that the wait is excruciating.  And the wait puts more thoughts and worries into my mind which in turn makes me more crazy.  I need to just relax a bit.  I just don't get why it would take two weeks. 

(From now on I'll just post here - thanks for letting me know.  ;))

Offline bear60

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2007, 11:04:26 am »
I hope you have a very pleasant holiday weekend. I just finished making a watermelon, cantalope and honeydew melon fruit salad for 15 people.   The weather is perfect. So get busy.
Poz Bear Type in Philadelphia

Offline tester8888

• 32,wm, gay, hiv neg at 7 weeks, friend is newly +
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 01:25:36 am »
  Secret, I also had a bad experience in getting an hiv result.
  After my high risk exposure, I went to my doctor.  I had not been tested in 3 years (as had been in 5 year monogomous LTR), I wanted one the day I found out my sex partner was hiv positive (not because I thought it would indicate I caught it from him), and wanted to set up for 6 week and 3 month follow-up testing.
They drew my blood.  My doctor said he would call me with the result and copied my cell phone number down on the front of my chart.  The test was drawn on a Friday.  His medical assistant, a bitch I have minced with in the past said, "I will mail you the results".  I countered, "No, Doctor ____ will call me the results"!  They drew the blood and I went on my way.  By Wednesday I still had not heard.  I called the office and was told they would not give that info over the phone.  I went Thursday AM to the clinic, the secretary took my number and said they would call me.  That afternoon I had not heard and went back to the clinic.  I told the secretary that I wanted my results.  She asked me to take a seat.  In a few minutes, the bitch medical assistant called me to the waiting room door and said, "The doctor will talk to you about your results in a few minutes".

As I sit in the waiting room, I knew, I must be positive, otherwise they would just tell or give me a copy of the results.  It was a painful 20 minutes.  Then, the bitch medical assistant called me up to the front desk, and handed me an envelope saying, "This was mailed to you on Monday, but here is ANOTHER copy"!  Naturally I opened it right then and there.  Thank God, it was negative.

I have worked in medicine my whole life, and pray that I have NEVER treated anyone like that.  I could have just died over that whole incident, and fully intend to discuss it all with my doctor next time I see him.  I love my doctor, but some of his staff are useless!!!!

Good Luck To You!
7 weeks post exposure, tested HIV Negative.

Be Kind To Everyone You Meet, For You Do Not Know What Battles They Have Fought That Day.

Offline xyahka

• Dance together!! aha!! aha!! I like it!!
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 08:35:44 am »
hi the waiting time here is also long, so i would say it is kind of normal. Any test i have to do, takes 2 weeks to show results but they deliver it to me only in my next Dr appointment (it means every 2 or 3 months). Don't worry, you will be fine.

kisses,

Juan Carlos
13/03/07 1er diagnóstico /Peso: 79kg
19/04/07 CD4: 494 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 80kg
19/07/07 CD4: 659 /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79.5kg
06/03/08 CD4: 573 (después de meses muy deprimido) /CViral: ?? /Peso: 79kg
17/09/08 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 84Kg
06/02/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 85Kg /HCV: Neg /HBV: Neg.
07/03/09 CD4: ?? /CViral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg / Gym 3días/semana y Natación 2días/semana.
12/05/09 CD4: 470 /Cviral: ?? /Peso: 87Kg.
08/07/09 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 77Kg.
09/12/09 CD4: 510 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg. No medicinas aún
10/01/10 CD4: ? /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
15/05/10 CD4: 320 /CViral: ? /Peso: 76Kg.
01/02/11 CD4: 291 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
05/05/11 CD4: 366 /CViral: ? /Peso: 78kg.
27/07/11 CD4: 255 /CViral: 138000 /Peso: 78kg.

Disfrutando y aceptando una nueva vida...

Offline SecretKeeper

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2007, 09:30:44 pm »
Well, tomorrow will mark exactly 2 weeks since my test was taken and as of today there was still no word.  At this point I am more so irritated than worried.  We did have Labor Day in there and I'm sure the labs were probably closed that day, but if I don't have the results by Friday is there somewhere or someone I can complain to?  It's just a local VNA office that administered the test and they had to send it off to some lab, but even still - they said usually within a week - up to two weeks.  Anyway, just wanted to let everyone know how irritated I am right now.   >:(   I'll post again when I actually have the results.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2007, 05:15:00 am »
SK,

Labour day weekend probably did slow things down. Look at it this way - no news is good news. They tend to move fast when there's a positive result.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

"...health will finally be seen not as a blessing to be wished for, but as a human right to be fought for." Kofi Annan

HIV is certainly character-building. It's made me see all of the shallow things we cling to, like ego and vanity. Of course, I'd rather have a few more T-cells and a little less character. Randy Shilts

Offline robbo

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2007, 08:46:07 pm »
Yes I agree. Be patient. I was first tested last year and then again recently. They told me it would take about 2 weeks. At the two week mark I started calling. It's a very busy office, and the people are great. But even with me calling, it took a few more days of phone tag before I was able to get the results. Waiting stinks.

I agree with Ann. If they got them back and they were positive, they would have moved quick to call you.

Offline SecretKeeper

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2007, 10:37:54 pm »
Yes, I figured they'd rush to call when they get the results in too (especially since I've called every day for about a week now).  The last time I called they said ... "I have you're number, I'll give you a call as soon as we get it in."   I haven't called since. 

It just seems weird to me that it takes a lab that long to process a mouth swab.  And what kind of crappy lab puts off running an HIV test for over a week?!  The woman I'm dealing with at VNA told me that she checked the computer on Tuesday and it showed my test was not even processed.  I think I'm getting the run-around from the lab and VNA.  And the stupidest thing is that even if they do actually get my results tomorrow - I won't be able to get them because they close before I get off work.   

And I just think it's a good thing that we've already kinda been through the waiting game with my husband so it's not completely unfamiliar ground, (his tests took pretty close to exactly 2 weeks).  If it was a first test and I wasn't aware of anyone else who had taken one, this might just push me over the edge and make me think the world is ending. 

Again, what kind of lab takes a week and a half before they even process the test?!  Anyway, I'll quit whining now and go back to waiting.  (I'm actually getting a little more patient - not a lot, just a little -  ;)

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2007, 05:18:09 am »
SK,

Quite often labs will wait until they have a certain number of tests to run and run them in a "batch". It's a more efficient way of operating.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline SecretKeeper

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2007, 08:30:27 pm »
Well, after waiting exactly 11 working days I finally got my test results back ...

POSITIVE 

WTF?!
Anyway, it's a sure thing.  Western Blot test was done so I'm pretty sure there's no way around this now.  So, I guess I go from "Someone I Care About Has HIV" to "I Just Tested Poz". 

Offline tester8888

• 32,wm, gay, hiv neg at 7 weeks, friend is newly +
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2007, 08:42:19 pm »
I am very sorry to see your news.    :'(
With a million things in my head, I cannot think of anything else to say.
At least you have found this site with a bunch of great people to help you along the way.
It's such a hard thing to see...
7 weeks post exposure, tested HIV Negative.

Be Kind To Everyone You Meet, For You Do Not Know What Battles They Have Fought That Day.

Offline Ann

• Administrator
  • It just is, OK?
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2007, 08:21:15 am »
SK,

I'm worried that you may be jumping the gun. You said in your first post in this thread that you had an oral test - but I have never, ever heard of Western Blot testing being included in the oral-type swab tests. WB testing is normally done with a blood sample.

I urge you to make sure your results have been confirmed through blood tests. Please don't think I'm doubting your word, because I'm not. I'm only concerned that maybe you mis-heard what you were told when the oral swab test was taken - it's easily done and totally understandable when you're anxious and stressed out.

Unfortunately, it is possible that you have seroconverted since your first (too early) test, however it is also possible that your oral swab test was a false positive. Please make sure you've been confirmed through blood testing.

Hang in there hun, I know this is an extraordinarily stressful time for you.

Ann

Condom and Lube Info  

Offline milker

• Protected phone sex
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2007, 10:53:38 am »
WB tests for viral proteins which are difficult to find in the saliva, contrary to antidbodies, so I'd too be surprised to see a WB done on an oral swab ??? You should ask for a copy of the WB test!

Milker.

edited to add: /from another post it looks like there is such a thing as Wb oral test, but our resident expert newt confirmed that there should be a blood test in any case/
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 11:14:09 am by milker »
mid-dec: stupid ass
mid-jan: seroconversion
mid-feb: poz
mar 07: cd4 432 (35%) vl 54000
may 07: cd4 399 (28%) vl 27760
jul 07: cd4 403 (26%) vl 99241
oct 07: cd4 353 (24%) vl 29993
jan 08: cd4 332 (26%) vl 33308
mar 08: cd4 392 (23%) vl 75548
jun 08: cd4 325 (27%) vl 45880
oct 08: cd4 197 (20%) vl 154000 <== aids diagnosis
nov 2 08 start Atripla
nov 30 08: cd4 478 (23%) vl 1880 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
feb 19 09: cd4 398 (24%) vl 430 getting there!
apr 23 09: cd4 604 (29%) vl 50 woohoo :D :D
jul 30 09: cd4 512 (29%) vl undetectable :D :D
may 27 10: cd4 655 (32%) vl undetectable :D :D

Now accepting applications from blowjob ninjas™

Offline structuredjen

« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2007, 10:05:18 am »
SK-

I'm so sorry to hear your news- I've been thinking about you a lot this week.  Sending you lots of love. 

xoxoxo
jen

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.