Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:11:52 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772784
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 1
Guests: 223
Total: 224

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Favourite Foods/ Cuisines and least favourite cuisines.  (Read 64117 times)

Offline spacebarsux

• Survival of the Fittest
Favourite Foods/ Cuisines and least favourite cuisines.
« on: August 29, 2011, 03:56:30 pm »
It's 1.19 am here- and as usual I can't fall asleep. So to amuse myself, and also cos I am food-obsessive I am starting this thread.  ;D

What foods are your favourite and which is your favourite cuisine?

Mine:-

1. Italian- Nothing beats an aunthentic pasta or wood-fired oven pizza with melting Mozarella

2. Indian- Butter Chicken  :) Orgasmic.

3. American Junk Food. McDonalds and all its hybrid varieties. Yummy.

4. Chinese (leaving out the extra weird stuff).

5. European Continental food. Roasts/ baguettes/ Pates and such.

Not nice :-

Thai food- It just tastes like a mixture of coconuts,  lemongrass and soapwater.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 04:15:01 pm by spacebarsux »
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline Miss Philicia

• celebrity poster, faker & poser
Re: Favourite Foods/ Cuisines and least favourite cuisines.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2011, 04:43:45 pm »
Yes, I'm quite big on Italian food -- but NOT the red sauce Italian-American stuff. Think more like Mario Batali, and since my best friend owns three restaurants with him I've eaten in almost all of his restaurants, as well as Lidia Bastianich (her son is Mario's business partner).

I love French food, and I went to France the first time when I was just 14 so it's been a long affair. However, I'd say French food hasn't been "in" for US diners (well, with the exception of overly dear 4-star places). Though there was that brief bistro phase in NYC -- and damn if I wasn't at Balthazar all of the time, and Pastis. I love Keith McNally restaurants, just for the over-the-top see-and-be-seen crowd. I went to Minetta Tavern when it opened two years ago and it was great - it completely exemplifies a NYC steak house from 100 years ago, and the food was completely up to par.

Now, if you want really fierce food you need to try the Asian-Southern US fusion that Chef David Chang does -- he's been the bomb in NYC for the past seven years, starting with Momofuku Noodle in the East Village. He's gone on to open up much pricier places, and I'm dying to try out má pêche, his first uptown place. Next NYC visit perhaps.

I love Sichuan and have been going religiously to this place in Old City Philadelphia where all of the mainland Chinese grad students from the Wharton School of Business/U-Penn go when they're homesick. Twice a month they do this massive 20-course meal and it takes 2 months to obtain a reservation, and I just scored one for November! I'm very happy about that.

Oh, and I'm very, very huge on coffee -- not just any kind (Jan will be my witness). I only buy light roast beans, which I grind with my Baratza burr grinder, then brew in a Chemex glass pot by hand. I also am fortunate to live only a few blocks from the best pastry shop in the city, run by a Vietnamese family.

Ah yes, and my best friend I mentioned one of her restaurants is all Spanish, and when it opened it won "best Spanish wine list" by Wine Spectator. All the food there is incredible, and one of the few US places where you can get jamon iberico. Any New Yorkers reading this you really must try it out:  http://www.casamononyc.com/
"I’ve slept with enough men to know that I’m not gay"

Offline mecch

• red pill? or blue pill?
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2011, 04:44:39 pm »
Aren't all cultures capable of delicious food when attention is paid to taste?

Conversely I've had vile dishes from around the world.   >:(

On the Thai remark, there are those who get with soap tastes and those who don't, I think its genetic?  I could live on coriander/cilantro.  

Indian, Vietnamese, Mexican, Chinese, Japanese, look at these  :D

Most tripe preparations make me want to vomit but I'll occassionally choke it down to fake that I have a "sophisticated" palette.  Ditto for some revolting Chinese soups no human should go near.  Never had a truly savory paella even though my dining companions have assured me one or the other we were served was fantastic, they always make me gag.  Most gefilte fish.  Bad cheap eye-talian restaurants (tasteless cheese, salty, bland).  Bad restaurant pastries or pies.  Anything with fake cream.  Farmed shrimp.  

The Swiss have made a huge industry out of dried food with manufacturers like Knorr - its an extremely acquired taste because it is savory and seemingly delicious, for its high salt and MSG content and perfect food chemistry combinations, but absolutely revolting at the same time.

Lunch restaurants for average folks, with typical cuisine of the nation, are disappearing in Switzerland, Netherlands, Germany, Austria.   Real German lunch restaurants are great.  

I am watching Twin Peaks these days.  Now, what could be better than real American diner food.  (If its real, that is!)

I went to McDo yesterday for the first time this year.  I had those potato fries.  They were delicious and tasted real.  Are they real?
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2011, 05:19:36 pm »
Favorite would be good quality grilled steak and a fresh garden salad (yea I know... cholesterol city) and least favorite would be anything with pasta and tomato sauce.  Cold pasta salad in the summer is ok with a few cherry tomatoes though. 

Offline Assurbanipal

• Taking a forums break, still see PM's
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 05:56:46 pm »
... and a fresh garden salad (yea I know... cholesterol city) ...

Ranch dressing ...
5/06 VL 1M+, CD4 22, 5% , pneumonia, thrush -- O2 support 2 months, 6/06 +Kaletra/Truvada
9/06 VL 3959 CD4 297 13.5% 12/06 VL <400 CD4 350 15.2% +Pravachol
2007 VL<400, 70, 50 CD4 408-729 16.0% -19.7%
2008 VL UD CD4 468 - 538 16.7% - 24.6% Osteoporosis 11/08 doubled Pravachol, +Calcium/D
02/09 VL 100 CD4 616 23.7% 03/09 VL 130 5/09 VL 100 CD4 540 28.4% +Actonel (osteoporosis) 7/09 VL 130
8/09  new regimen Isentress/Epzicom 9/09 VL UD CD4 621 32.7% 11/09 VL UD CD4 607 26.4% swap Isentress for Prezista/Norvir 12/09 (liver and muscle issues) VL 50
2010 VL UD CD4 573-680 26.1% - 30.9% 12/10 VL 20
2011 VL UD-20 CD4 568-673 24.7%-30.6%
2012 VL UD swap Prezista/Norvir for Reyataz drop statin CD4 768-828 26.7%-30.7%
2014 VL UD - 48
2015 VL 130 Moved to Triumeq

Offline thunter34

• His name is Carl.
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 06:17:22 pm »
Fave:  good Indian food.

Least:  German (it's the wurst)
AIDS isn't for sissies.

Offline mecch

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2011, 06:29:10 pm »
Fave:  good Indian food.

Least:  German (it's the wurst)

You've never been to a northern German fish salad deli I bet.  One amazing salad after another.  

« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 06:30:53 pm by mecch »
“From each, according to his ability; to each, according to his need” 1875 K Marx

Offline Since2005

« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2011, 06:29:25 pm »
Well we do have our differences which is good more varieties :)

Thai – Is my favorite food in the world especially ‘Pad Thai’. Every city I go and visit, I would go to Thai restaurants, I will go and order ‘Pad Thai’/ ‘Phat Thai’ without even looking at the menu. I would usually order ‘high to very high’ on the spice level. I like it spicy!

Indian – I live on this everyday. No matter how detached I feel sometimes from my ethnicity, culture, morals and values that was raised with (I have mentioned in one of my threads that I am way more westernized culturally now than how I was before) foods is one thing I could not ever live without. Once you go for Indian foods you can never go back. Noted, when I say Indian, I meant mostly South Asian foods which is various types of curry, rice, bread, Samosa, Chicken Tikka (yummy), Kabab, Biriyani, etc as you may know Indian foods have a huge selection.

Chinese – I love Chinese foods a lot, all kinds. I need to mention American Chinese is way different than ‘South Asian Chinese/Indian Chinese foods. My guess is wherever Chinese go they kind of mix their recipe up with their foods and makes it a bit more local. Chinese foods in China (authentic) are not same as Chinese foods anywhere else. I also like authentic Taiwanese foods.

I am very Asian when it comes to foods. However, I do love different others foods like African, middle eastern, Greek, Italian (especially pizza and pasta), German, French (I haven't tried a whole lot, though I love their bread). Oh, I love South American foods like Spanish/Mexican foods and I love Cuban foods they are so tasty..yum yum..and I love a good American Cheese burger, steaks, grilled foods ( what am I leaving off..nothing.. cuz I love all kinds of foods). So, I would go and eat anything at least once. I am into exotic foods. I am yet to try snake (I would love to try the soup of it), crocodile, and other exotic foods at least once. I would never say ‘no’ to anything ( except of course with few exceptions...lol..). I also heard that in China, they prepare tiger penis as food and I would love to try that also. I won't try some special animal's foods that I call my pets (dogs and cats and etc.. see I am not that bad...I can't believe that I just wrote that..just to set the record straight.. :)). Oh. I forgot. I love seafood!!!!!

Well, I guess, I have started out wrong. What I don't like? Nothing.. I love eating everything... its very true...I am a food fanatic, I am not much of  good cook ( and I mean it!!), but I love to eat different types of foods!!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 06:45:16 pm by Since2005 »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2011, 07:40:58 pm »

Faves:
Beef, Beef and more Beef. Preferably Prime Us Corn Fed Beef Filet (Ruths Chris is utterly orgasmic)

Seafood
Atlantic Scallops. Preferably hand harvested from Maine.

I adore Thai food, Especially Pad Thai with a Cantalope Bubble Tea.

Mexican Food of course (real stuff not that crap from Philadelphia)

There is not much I will not eat and enjoy, so I cant really pin down any dislikes. German (yum sauerkraut)  Italian, Indian, Greek, Chinese all thumbs up. Including Texas Calf fries (deep fried bull testes).

-Will
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,
2/4/13, CD4 - 489, UD, 28%

Current Meds: Prezista/Epzicom/ Norvir

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2011, 07:58:18 pm »

Jamaican aki and saltfish, stew fish, brown chicken...  Bahamian crack conch is to die for along with a glass of Sky Juice(gin and fresh coconut water), then fiinished off with guava duff (desert).

I can almost see the beach!

All Cuban food is great and I really miss going to Romeu's for some of the best Cuban food around, to hell with La Carreta-- some here may disagree.
I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline klouny

• ~ can you see me now~
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2011, 08:51:11 pm »
I like food treads. I need to learn to cook, my grandma says I'm a shame for not
knowing how * sulks in a dark corner*

but yeah :). I haven't had the chance to eat many different foods yet, so my experiences
and taste palate is limited.
but I like

1. Spanish food ( duh, but real Spanish food. mostly Southwest food from the coast in my country )
2. Italian food
3. Chinese food

I don't like creole food though. . . :-[. . . it scares me
~Strange ideas are Superfluous and unoriginal~

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2011, 09:15:41 pm »
(Ruths Chris is utterly orgasmic)

So tragically plebeian. You need to go here:  http://www.peterluger.com/

ps: Miss P can make the most incredible steak -- grilled rib eye, sea salt and drizzled Modena balsamic vinegar is the key.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 09:26:33 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2011, 09:49:08 pm »

ps: Miss P can make the most incredible steak -- grilled rib eye, sea salt and drizzled Modena balsamic vinegar is the key.

please, do they even allow you to grill in that tenement of yours? and dont come at me with your George Foreman.
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2011, 10:48:29 pm »
please, do they even allow you to grill in that tenement of yours? and dont come at me with your George Foreman.

I use an All-Clad grill pan on a gas stove top.

Tonight we have lightly toasted Amoroso bread (actually baked in my neighborhood), rare roast beef thinly sliced, with Kelchner's horse-radish, Pennsylvanian naturally made by Amish virgins.  And a slice of the very best cheddar on the market, Montgomery from Somerset, England. Lovingly served on Finnish glassware. :-*

I'm also simultaneously watching Most Eligible Dallas on Bravo and thinking of you.

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2011, 12:51:08 am »
Mecch- from Switzerland- Raclette and Fondue are delicious.

Spain- Tortilla de Patatas (Spanish Omlette) is awesome. I never quite liked Paella, but then I have a mental block in enjoying any rice dish that isn't Indian or Chinese. I can't even enjoy a good Risotto for that reason

German food that I have had was really good. Wurst sausages etc.

South Indian  food is tasty as hell too. (Quite different to the usual Naan, meat curries and lentils served in Indian restaurants In the US and Europe- which is North Indian)

I have no idea what cuban food is like.

And I love Chicken, chicken and more chicken and potatoes.
Infected-  2005 or early 2006; Diagnosed- Jan 28th, 2011; Feb '11- CD4 754 @34%, VL- 39K; July '11- CD4 907@26%,  VL-81K; Feb '12- CD4 713 @31%, VL- 41K, Nov '12- CD4- 827@31%

Offline leese43

« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2011, 04:56:50 am »
1. Thai food - love sate, LOVE chicken Penang, Pad Thai...I could go on and on.

2. Jamiaca, Jamaica - Oxtail Rice n peas..Yum! Saltfish fritters, Sat'day soup, Festival, Patties. My ex is Jamaican and the reason I'm on a diet now!

3. Spanish - Tapas, Paella.

4. English (yes I said it!) Can't beat a home cooked roast dinner. Food does not always have to be highly seasoned, it's all about the yorkshire puds, crisp roast potatoes and the gravy. If the gravy isn't good then the whole meal is spoilt!

I'm hungry now!   :D
Oct 04 - Neg
Aug 05 - infected
Oct 05 - cd4 780, vl 60k
Apr 08 - cd4 430, vl 243
Jul 08 - cd4 550, vl 896
Nov 08 - cd4 730, vl 1.8k
May 09 - cd4 590, vl 1.5k
Sep 09 - cd4 460 vl 34k
Dec 09 - cd4 470 vl 42k
April 10 - cd4 430 vl 88.5k
July 10 - cd4 330 vl 118k
Aug 10 - started reyataz/truvada/norvir
Aug 10 - cd4 380 vl 4k (12 days after starting meds :))
Sep 10 - cd4 520 vl 1.5k
Oct 10 - cd4 590 vl 44
Jan 11 -cd4 610 vl <40 cd4% 50
May 11 - cd4 780 vl UD

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2011, 06:11:56 am »

4. English (yes I said it!) Can't beat a home cooked roast dinner. Food does not always have to be highly seasoned, it's all about the yorkshire puds, crisp roast potatoes and the gravy. If the gravy isn't good then the whole meal is spoilt!

yea :). Also there should be NO brussles sprouts.

Offline leese43

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2011, 06:27:12 am »
yea :). Also there should be NO brussles sprouts.

Christmas would not be Christmas without sprouts!  ;D
Oct 04 - Neg
Aug 05 - infected
Oct 05 - cd4 780, vl 60k
Apr 08 - cd4 430, vl 243
Jul 08 - cd4 550, vl 896
Nov 08 - cd4 730, vl 1.8k
May 09 - cd4 590, vl 1.5k
Sep 09 - cd4 460 vl 34k
Dec 09 - cd4 470 vl 42k
April 10 - cd4 430 vl 88.5k
July 10 - cd4 330 vl 118k
Aug 10 - started reyataz/truvada/norvir
Aug 10 - cd4 380 vl 4k (12 days after starting meds :))
Sep 10 - cd4 520 vl 1.5k
Oct 10 - cd4 590 vl 44
Jan 11 -cd4 610 vl <40 cd4% 50
May 11 - cd4 780 vl UD

Offline wolfter

« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2011, 06:49:21 am »
Mediterranean Greek Salads are the best.  There are so many variations! 

Foods I don't eat;
anything that runs wild through the back woods. ;D
Being honest is not wronging others, continuing the dishonesty is.

Offline GSOgymrat

• HIV+ since 1993. Relentlessly gay.
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2011, 07:25:14 am »
I like a variety of different cuisines. I typically cook homestyle American dishes and go out for Indian, Greek, Italian,  etc. I could eat Chinese or Thai every day of the week and do stir-fry at home all the time. I love going to the local fondue restaurant. What I don't like has more to do with the ingredients than the way it is prepared. I stay away from organ meats, raw meat or strong tasting fish, like anchovies. I don't like the taste of coffee or beer. I don't like foods that are swimming in sauce, gravy or cheese to where you can't taste what you are eating. I don't think I have ever had a fruit or vegetable I didn't like.

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2011, 07:27:51 am »
I don't like the taste of coffee or beer.
   :o

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2011, 07:33:48 am »
   :o

I'm glad I don't like coffee or drink alcohol, it's expensive! Also I think my brain translates fermented as spoiled-- beer and wine  tastes like something has gone bad.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2011, 07:51:11 am »
Also I think my brain translates fermented as spoiled-- beer and wine  tastes like something has gone bad.

So then you don't eat cheese either? Or if you do you stick to bland, American "cheese food" which isn't real cheese.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2011, 08:02:18 am »
Oh, one thing I'm really huge on is cured meat -- is there anything more satisfying than a proper salumi plate before a meal? Speck, mortadella, coppa, bresaola, lardo, etc.... moving on to charcuterie.

I get this from being raised on the Southern US version of ham -- where it's salt cured in a smoke house. My grandfather cured his own pigs, and did one per month for his own personal use. They were never sold to other people. So there was always ham in the house, served with every meal as an "option" to the main dish when guests were present, which was rather often. So to this day I like any salt-cured meat product, and fortunately I live within walking distance of all these divine Italian shops. But it's just a special treat as eating these items is not particularly healthy.

Offline GSOgymrat

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2011, 08:19:56 am »
So then you don't eat cheese either? Or if you do you stick to bland, American "cheese food" which isn't real cheese.

I like most cheeses. Some do have that "spoiled" flavor. Love baked Brie. I will eat American cheese but it is not my first choice. I just had queso blanco with toast and hot tea for breakfast.

Oh, I love breads, cakes, pastries, cereal, cookies, muffins...
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 08:21:48 am by GSOgymrat »

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2011, 08:26:53 am »
I doubt I could give up coffee no matter what (enjoying freshly ground Tanzanian Peaberry this morning).  High-test too...dont like that decaf stuff.

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2011, 09:47:17 am »
I'm making tuna melts for lunch. ;D with crinkle cut fries.

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #27 on: August 31, 2011, 01:20:10 am »
I recently tried Tibetan Food (Nothing like chinese food or Indian food). Was interesting and nice.

They make these really tasty meat dumplings called MoMo's.  :)

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 01:27:28 am by spacebarsux »

Offline HollyStar

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2011, 02:37:08 am »
Oh, how my palate is left wanting! I could eat Mexican food anytime. Enchiladas are my favorite, but they have to be corn tortillas dipped in oil and sauce. The sauce must be mole!

Can't go wrong with artichokes (the frost bitten ones taste best!) with a side of garlic butter. I wish I could eat them all the time but damn are they expensive.

One of my favorite salads was at a tapas place in Monterey, CA. Mandarin oranges, shallots, shaved Parmesan, black pepper and a sherry vinaigrette. Just amazing!!!

Love italian food too. Manicotti is my fave when the shell is a crepe, NOT pasta.

Indian curry is great. I just don't like Thai curry, ick!

Oh, and GARLIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Diagnosed  July 28th 2003

'I don't want to get to the end of my life and find that I just lived the length of it. I want to have lived the width of it as well.' -Diande Ackerman

'Why not go out on a limb? Isn't that where the fruit is?' -Frank Scully

'If your ship doesn't come, swim out to it.' - Jonathan Winters

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2011, 02:45:45 am »
Yea garlic is awesome. Some people can't stand it though.

Among African cuisines, I tried Ethiopian food once. Was better than ok. Has anyone else tried food from other parts of Africa? What's it like?

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:47:48 am by spacebarsux »

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #30 on: August 31, 2011, 05:53:57 am »
I tried Ethiopian food once.

There are a few good Ethiopian restaurants in the Adams Morgan (aka Madam's Organ) section of Washington DC... the sponge like bread known as injera was interesting.  Moroccan food is also worth trying but I doubt the place where I had it in Savannah comes remotely close to what may be found in Marrakech. 

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2011, 10:56:41 am »

Among African cuisines, I tried Ethiopian food once. Was better than ok. Has anyone else tried food from other parts of Africa? What's it like?

I used to eat Ethiopian a lot -- started that way back in the 80's when I discovered a place in DC where Ethiopian diplomats ate. Then when I moved to NYC there was one in the lower part of Soho that suddenly became quietly hip.

When I moved to downtown Brooklyn in the mid-90's I lived down the street from a Senegalese restaurant, and I used to eat there frequently. Later my ex-partner was Nigerian and I remember insisting on being taken to a Nigerian restaurant in London, which involved this really long amount of travel as it was in some obscure neighborhood. I had this amazing soup as an appetizer which was one of the spiciest concoctions I've ever encountered, followed by some fish.

Can't think of any African restaurant in Philadelphia, but that's mostly because my current neighborhood, other than Italian, mostly has pockets of Vietnamese and Mexican, specifically from Puebla state.

Offline mecch

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2011, 11:03:08 am »
African food - yes Cairo.   Koshary restaurants serve the same need as pizza joints in the US.   Theres always one near and you usually like the food.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kushari

Savory, seems quite healthy (unlike pizza usually?), and cheap.

Offline mecch

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2011, 11:07:39 am »
Libya.  Olive oil olive oil olive oil olive oil olive oil.  Did I mention the olive oil?

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2011, 11:08:44 am »
I also used to live around the corner from a Jamaican restaurant that made the most phenomenal oxtail and beans -- I still get a plate whenever I'm back in Brooklyn.

I had great food at times when I went to the Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico, but you have to find a place locals go. If you're ever in San Juan make sure you go to this place called La Casita Blanca where they keep live poultry in cages outside, which they slaughter for your dish -- fresh! Great goat dishes as well -- love goat.

Oh wow -- they're on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uL-IfkPOptI

Yes, I forgot too they have very weird hours and are only open for lunch, and it took me several visits to figure out when to go.

For high end in San Juan locate where Chef Mario Pagan is working -- he used to run this legendary place called Chayote which I think is closed now, but he kind of was instrumental in the early Caribbean fusion/NuevaoLatino cooking, which you now find in so many places. Douglas Rodriguez does this well too -- I think he's credited with the term Nuevo Latino in the mid-90's, and I ate at his first restaurant Patria back then and was blown away by it. Hey Rev., have you been to his place in Miami? OLA?

http://www.olamiami.com/
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 11:16:27 am by Miss Philicia »

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2011, 12:35:45 pm »
Douglas Rodriguez does this well too -- I think he's credited with the term Nuevo Latino in the mid-90's, and I ate at his first restaurant Patria back then and was blown away by it. Hey Rev., have you been to his place in Miami? OLA?

http://www.olamiami.com/

Yes, been there twice --early dinner, cause it gets rather packed later on.   Very good, pretty creative stuff.  I may go back next week now that you reminded me and try their "pescado a lo macho."  Their lobster empanadas are delish.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2011, 01:18:39 pm »
Later my ex-partner was Nigerian and I remember insisting on being taken to a Nigerian restaurant in London, which involved this really long amount of travel as it was in some obscure neighborhood.

Sounds like a stall in Camden Town  ;D

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2011, 02:07:58 pm »
Sounds like a stall in Camden Town  ;D

Uh, no -- I know where Camden Town is. This place wasn't a stall either, it was sit-down upscale for an African restaurant. My ex was no low-brow type and made a similar income to myself at that time. His family in Lagos was I'd say more upper middle class, very educated, etc.

It may have been this place:

http://www.timeout.com/london/restaurants/venue/2%3A863/805-bar-restaurant

Of course, discussing "African cuisine" is silly -- it's a massive area, better to break it down to West African, East, North, etc. But compared to other cooking it's largely unexplored to Western palates, even if for example West African cuisine was imported by slaves to all of the Americas and vice versa with indigenous American foods going back to West Africa... triangle trade and all of that.

I always wanted him to take me to Lagos but he didn't seem to find that a wise idea. :)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:14:06 pm by Miss Philicia »

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2011, 02:21:19 pm »
Oh I didn't mean to insinuate anything about your ex Miss P, so sorry if that's the way it came across.

I just love the Camden area  :)

London has some awesome restaurants and among the finest world-cuisine.

I once ate at this restaurant called "Medieval Banquet". It's really interesting and weird at the same time to be transported in a Medieval Britain Banquet. lol

http://www.medievalbanquet.com/index.html

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2011, 02:56:19 pm »
London does have great food places now -- but when I studied in the UK in the mid-80's I thought it rather sucked. When I began going back in the late 90's it was like night and day.

NYC is still better  :-X

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #40 on: August 31, 2011, 03:00:10 pm »

I always wanted him to take me to Lagos but he didn't seem to find that a wise idea. :)

Pity.  I however believe that you've been elsewhere in Africa, no?  At least Cape Town or Joburg?

As far as African food is concerned I have tried --and loved-- food from Ethiopia (we used to have a lovely place called Sheba in Miami, but they closed about a year ago or so), Algeria, Angola (love their groundnut stew), Morocco, and (of course) South Africa.  To this day I still go every month or so to Meal In A Pie (a tiny South African grocery and restaurant in Fort Lauderdale) to buy me a few groceries.  Nothing like cooking at home with a nice chutney.
"I have tried hard--but life is difficult, and I am a very useless person. I can hardly be said to have an independent existence. I was just a screw or a cog in the great machine I called life, and when I dropped out of it I found I was of no use anywhere else."

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #41 on: August 31, 2011, 03:10:38 pm »
Pity.  I however believe that you've been elsewhere in Africa, no?  At least Cape Town or Joburg?

Nope, never have been to Africa at all. Nor Asia (flights are too long!). Child you know I spent all of my time in the DR. And I would have only gone to somewhere like Lagos with a native chaperone -- my ex was upfront that all of my Prada would have made me an instant target exiting customs at the airport and I'd never make it downtown.

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #42 on: August 31, 2011, 03:25:57 pm »
*BURRRRPP*

Here's what's left of my lunch...

POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #43 on: August 31, 2011, 03:28:10 pm »
Nope, never have been to Africa at all. Nor Asia (flights are too long!). Child you know I spent all of my time in the DR. And I would have only gone to somewhere like Lagos with a native chaperone -- my ex was upfront that all of my Prada would have made me an instant target exiting customs at the airport and I'd never make it downtown.

Yup.  Your Prada ass wouldn't survive Lagos (mine wouldn't either--I find that city, and Dakar, rather overwhelming for some reason).

If all goes well I will be in Ghana next year doing some school work for about two months.  Pending on approval from the university and other matters.  Then in august I will go back to SA to stay at the ex-spouse's family farm for about 3 or 4 weeks.  I'd invite you to come along, but this is rural Limpopo, definitely not the most glamorous or lively of places.

Edited foe seplling
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:32:59 pm by Rev. Moon »

Offline spacebarsux

« Reply #44 on: August 31, 2011, 03:29:42 pm »
my ex was upfront that all of my Prada would have made me an instant target exiting customs at the airport and I'd never make it downtown.

;D Ha ha ha. Come to India Miss P ...you'll easily survive. Only you might have little slumdog kids who'll run after you and might dirty your posh clothing lol.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 03:34:28 pm by spacebarsux »

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #45 on: August 31, 2011, 03:30:12 pm »
*BURRRRPP*

Here's what's left of my lunch...

That looks rather decadent, Guillermina.  And, of course, you did not eat the tomato or lettuce.

Was this from Whataburger or Wendy's?

Offline WillyWump

• EPIC FIERCENESS!
« Reply #46 on: August 31, 2011, 03:33:10 pm »
That looks rather decadent, Guillermina.  And, of course, you did not eat the tomato or lettuce.

Was this from Whataburger or Wendy's?

Neither Moonsy, twas Carl's Jr.

The lettuce and tomato just gets in the way of my meat and cheese. pisses me off.

How do you know about Whataburgers?

-W
POZ since '08

Last Labs-
11-6-14 CD4- 871, UD
6/3/14 CD4- 736, UD 34%
6/25/13 CD4- 1036, UD,

Offline Miss Philicia

« Reply #47 on: August 31, 2011, 03:33:36 pm »
Yup.  Your Prada ass wouldn't survive Lagos (mine wouldn't either--I find that city, and Dakkar, rather overwhelming for some reason).

If all goes well I will be in Ghana next year doing some school work for about two months.  Pending on approval from the university and other matters.  Then in august I will go back to SA to stay at the ex-spouse's family farm for about 3 or 4 weeks.  I'd invite you to come along, but this is rural Limpopo, definitely not the most glamorous or lively of places.

Don't know why people don't think I can't handle travel adversity -- once in the DR I was with my hustler companion/travel guide/chaffeur and the rental car had a tire blow out, and the spare was also fucked -- so he took me up to some family's house and had me sit on their porch for a couple hours in a downpour while he hitchhiked to some nearby town to sort out the tire. They didn't speak any English, and my Spanish is non-existent except for things like puta and pinga but I manage to get buy giving their children money to go buy candy. By the end of it all I was quite popular on that porch.

Offline Rev. Moon

• Smart ass faggot ©
« Reply #48 on: August 31, 2011, 03:45:14 pm »
Quote from: WillyWump link=topic=39557.msg493988#msg

How do you know about Whataburgers?

Last year I spent a few months in Dallas and Austen.  Work related.  Oh, and they have one or two in dreadful Pensaculo, FL --another location where I was regularly shipped by my employer.

Their burgers are just ok, rather pedestrian in my opinion.  They hit the spot for a quick lunch.  Nothing like In-N-Out (which, if I'm not mistaken, will be opening a couple of locations in yer neck o'dawoods) or Five Guys.

Offline hope_for_a_cure

« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2011, 03:52:44 pm »

Dont they have fresh maters down there in TX this time of year?  Its almost 4:00PM here and no lunch for me yet but perhaps something will find its way into my kitchen before sunset.  I sorta have a craving for a homemade Maryland style crabcake and if I can get to the fish market before 5:00 it just may happen.  (broilled of course since I gots to watch what I eat now-a-days)

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.