Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 05:44:59 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 772785
  • Total Topics: 66296
  • Online Today: 290
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 214
Total: 214

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: does anyone know someone who......  (Read 14214 times)

Offline dingowarrior

does anyone know someone who......
« on: October 12, 2006, 01:06:30 pm »
hi, well i just came back from the doctor..and it was a very positive (no pun intended  ;))
visit..he said that my VR was undetectable and my CD4 was up to 200...originally when i was diagnosed this past april my VL was 56,000 and my CD4 was 160..he said things are looking good..thanks everyone for the kind words..you guys on this forum are GREAT!

My question is,does anyone know of a couple where the husband is + and the wife is - and they had a baby when the husband reached the undetectable level. My doctor said that he has patients where thats the case..the husband was undetecable and they had a healthy baby..he said its NOT risk free,but he has patients who have done it (several actually)
..Again, he said that its not risk free but being undetectable lesens the risk..he is a  EXCELLENT doctor HIV is his specialtist..so i was wondering if anyone knows of a case like this.
 i should mention again that i have a healthy baby boy that was concieved when i didnt know i was infected..my wife and child were immidiatly tested after we found out and they are both negative..any reponse would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2006, 03:43:45 pm by dingowarrior »

Offline Esquare

Re: does anyone know someone who......
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2006, 06:03:40 pm »
Congratulations man! That is a great first step. I hope that my tests come back like that.  You are a lucky man to have a baby and wife that are negative so there are some silver linings.

I had the health dept call me today and set up an appointment. I meet them tomorrow so I hope that goes ok. Wish me luck. It's another hump on this roller coaster ride I guess.

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2006, 06:17:33 pm »
Thanks dude,
you'll be ok..believe me when i tell you, if my wife and i can get thru it ,you guys can too..it all seems dark right now, but i promise, if you take your meds and keep all your doc appointments you'll be ok..Great luck brother!!   ;)

Offline tryingforhope

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2006, 10:42:12 am »
I have a dear friend that is HIV + while his wife is not. They have had two children successfully. I asked this question of the dr. myself and he said people do it with medical assistance although he advised to really talk with him first before even thinking of conceiving another child. You are a very lucky man that this happened the way it did for your family. I am waiting to see if my fiance or my ex were infected at this point.

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2006, 11:08:32 pm »
thanks for your response tryingforhope..did your freind and his wife do it naturally or did they used the "sperm washing" procudure that i've read/heard about?

Offline harleylover

« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 08:41:11 pm »
My husband has been HIV+ for many years. We have been married for almost 9 years. He was just diagnosed this June. I am negative and we have 2 beautiful daughters who are also negative. There is no other answer in our books other than divine intervention. Even if you have never believed in God, this would make a believer out of you. My husband now has AIDS, so we just pray that he has a long life with his family.

Offline alberche

• a distancia del mundo incierto, saludo mi suerte
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2006, 03:25:06 pm »
Hiya Dingowarrior!

Well, I have heard about a technic of semen washing, that is quite sure enough and avoids completely risks of infection. It seems to be a good idea. Here in Spain this is still not covered by social security system,but it will be as from next year.This technic is being applied sucessfully in 18 centers in Spain since ten or twelve years ago, and also in many european countries such as Italy and UK.

I found this phone number on the net, related to the UK, maybe will be useful for you. This is the Chelsea & Westminster Hospital, and the number is:

+44  020 8746 8585

In all cases, this technique is recommended and is shown as to have a very low risk of transmission, in all cases, much lower than unprotected sex, even though if viral load is not detectable.

Hope this helps!

Regards,

:-)

love is blindness...  a wonderful song!

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2006, 10:34:55 pm »
thanks alberche i actually was aware of that procedure...we have it here in the states..we have a doctors appointment in november to talk about it..thanks much!!

Offline alberche

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2006, 02:47:27 pm »
Hiya Dingo!

I wish you everything will go OK!!!

Let us know your impressions after your appointment, there's a lot of information about this in the net, but not too much impressions or data coming directly from people that had choosed this technique to have children.

Hughs :-)

Offline Esquare

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2006, 08:53:01 am »
Dingo, I would be highly interested in hearing about your November appointment.  My wife and I may consider the sperm washing. 

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2006, 10:53:16 am »
hey Esquare,

i'll post or pm you after my appointent which is nov.10.

Offline clarke

« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2006, 04:09:00 pm »
Our son was 7 1/2 months old when we found out (I had AIDS at the time, his Mom was "only" HIV+).  I took him to a hospital (St. Jude's) every month to have him tested.  They told us his immune system was very "developed", and they called us on Labor day to let us know he would be "okay".  We've had him tested several times since then (he's 13 now), and of course, he's still negative.

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2006, 07:07:09 pm »
God Bless....

Offline alberche

« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2006, 08:49:26 am »
Very good news Clark!

Hughs!

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2006, 01:46:10 pm »
Hi all,
Well i went to the doctor this past friday to see about possibly being able to have another baby. (first one thank God,is neg.) and he sais that this sperm washing procedure is relatively easy to do in the lab and that there should be NO problem with having another child. I just need to do my thing in a cup and the literally WASH the sperm to get rid of any HIV in the surrounding fluid (sperm itself DOES NOT carry HIV)

The doctor said its actually farely common procedure done nowadays when the husband is pos. and the wife is neg.
He also mention,as many of you may already know that living with this virus is NOT a death sentence, in this country particulary as long as you stay true to your meds. Diabetes and high cholestrol is actual worst thing to have.Again as long as you take yor meds and eat properly.
Bottom line is there is hope that my wife and I can have another baby.

Offline Esquare

« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2006, 01:03:42 pm »
Hi all,
Well i went to the doctor this past friday to see about possibly being able to have another baby. (first one thank God,is neg.) and he sais that this sperm washing procedure is relatively easy to do in the lab and that there should be NO problem with having another child. I just need to do my thing in a cup and the literally WASH the sperm to get rid of any HIV in the surrounding fluid (sperm itself DOES NOT carry HIV)

The doctor said its actually farely common procedure done nowadays when the husband is pos. and the wife is neg.
He also mention,as many of you may already know that living with this virus is NOT a death sentence, in this country particulary as long as you stay true to your meds. Diabetes and high cholestrol is actual worst thing to have.Again as long as you take yor meds and eat properly.
Bottom line is there is hope that my wife and I can have another baby.

This is great news Dingo. I'll pass on the information to my wife. If I can get past this emotional tidal wave and fear of others finding out which would lead me to feel better about my job security if nothing comes of it, I will start putting away money to fund this procedure. I'm supposed to know my first numbers this week. I have already found that after a month my t cells have gone up considerably and other good news. I'm awaiting the viral load part and I'll post that soon hopefully.

Offline Andy Velez

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2006, 04:41:07 pm »
Dear All,

It's very heartening (and moving) to read of your determination to get on with having more children. I know of a couple who successfully did the sperm washing and the result is a thriving, healthy little boy.

It's good to dare to go for what's really important to you.

Big cheers to all, 
Andy Velez

Offline dingowarrior

« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2006, 04:45:41 pm »
Thanks Andy for the kind words, its good to hear of someone who has successfully gone thru this.

Esquare:
I dont know your insurance status, but if you or your wife are insured,then 9 times out of 10 your covered. You can call and ask,without getting too much into details,just ask if you and your wife are covered for invitro.

Offline skeebo1969

« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2006, 07:23:27 pm »

Esquare I wish you and your wife luck in having a child..  It is something I took for granted I think..   I can tell you won't do the same!

Goodluck!

Thomas

I despise the song Love is in the Air, you should too.

Offline Esquare

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2006, 10:03:03 pm »

Esquare I wish you and your wife luck in having a child..  It is something I took for granted I think..   I can tell you won't do the same!

Goodluck!

Thomas

Thanks Skeebo. Yes it was something I was taking for granted as well but no longer.

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.