Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 08:23:49 am

Login with username, password and session length

Members
  • Total Members: 37635
  • Latest: Ranoye
Stats
  • Total Posts: 773156
  • Total Topics: 66328
  • Online Today: 248
  • Online Ever: 5484
  • (June 18, 2021, 11:15:29 pm)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 201
Total: 201

Welcome

Welcome to the POZ Community Forums, a round-the-clock discussion area for people with HIV/AIDS, their friends/family/caregivers, and others concerned about HIV/AIDS.  Click on the links below to browse our various forums; scroll down for a glance at the most recent posts; or join in the conversation yourself by registering on the left side of this page.

Privacy Warning:  Please realize that these forums are open to all, and are fully searchable via Google and other search engines. If you are HIV positive and disclose this in our forums, then it is almost the same thing as telling the whole world (or at least the World Wide Web). If this concerns you, then do not use a username or avatar that are self-identifying in any way. We do not allow the deletion of anything you post in these forums, so think before you post.

• The information shared in these forums, by moderators and members, is designed to complement, not replace, the relationship between an individual and his/her own physician.

• All members of these forums are, by default, not considered to be licensed medical providers. If otherwise, users must clearly define themselves as such.

• Forums members must behave at all times with respect and honesty. Posting guidelines, including time-out and banning policies, have been established by the moderators of these forums. Click here for “Do I Have HIV?” posting guidelines. Click here for posting guidelines pertaining to all other POZ community forums.

• We ask all forums members to provide references for health/medical/scientific information they provide, when it is not a personal experience being discussed. Please provide hyperlinks with full URLs or full citations of published works not available via the Internet. Additionally, all forums members must post information which are true and correct to their knowledge.

• Product advertisement—including links; banners; editorial content; and clinical trial, study or survey participation—is strictly prohibited by forums members unless permission has been secured from POZ.

To change forums navigation language settings, click here (members only), Register now

Para cambiar sus preferencias de los foros en español, haz clic aquí (sólo miembros), Regístrate ahora

Finished Reading This? You can collapse this or any other box on this page by clicking the symbol in each box.

Author Topic: Food leftovers - are they safe ?  (Read 8038 times)

Offline SASA39

Food leftovers - are they safe ?
« on: April 03, 2007, 03:32:47 am »
Just a few days ago i started a theme regarding microwave oven purpose.
But due to some respectable members    ::)  ;D the whole topic took an unusual route , so that it had to be moved to an Off Topic thanks by Andy.
But I have noticed there that a lot of the microwave owners use the device to reheat the food leftover.
Now I`m asking -  how is safe to eat a food leftovers because we all know that the more the food stays uneaten , the greater is probability of breeding a some unpleasant bacteria in it............
So what kind of leftover is OK , and what to avoid ?
I mean it is better to throw it out and to spend a little extra $ for a new food , than to catch something really nasty ( like parasites or so )
                                             AL
12. Oct`06.  CD4=58 %  VL not issued
25.Dec.`06.         203     VL= 0
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.
19.Oct`16     CD4=644      VL=0

Offline Christine

Re: Food leftovers - are they safe ?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2007, 04:02:19 pm »
Here is a link for food safety: http://www.foodsafety.gov/~fsg/fsgadvic.html

I follow the motto, when in doubt, throw it out.

If it doesn't get eaten in 1-3 days, I throw it out. I know I am wasting food, but it is better than having a belly problem.

I try to freeze most leftovers right away to avoid wasting food.

Christine
Poz since '93. Currently on Procrit, Azithromax, Pentamidine, Valcyte, Levothyroxine, Zoloft, Epzicom, Prezista, Viread, Norvir, and GS-9137 study drug. As needed: Trazodone, Atavan, Diflucan, Zofran, Hydrocodone, Octreotide

5/30/07 t-cells 9; vl 275,000

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2007, 06:36:35 pm »
Hey Al,
I'm with Christine and. trust me, I learned the hard way. It is better to be safe than sorry.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline mjmel

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2007, 06:38:39 pm »
I follow the 3 days-in-the-fridge rule too. Usually it's gone by the end of next day. Any doubt throw it out.

Offline budndallastx

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2007, 10:38:48 pm »

I usually don't trust anything in the fridge past 24 hours after it's been cooked.  Food needs to be cooled down quickly and refridgerated.  If it's been sitting out then it goes in the trash immediately.  If I plan on keeping for another day, it gets frozen so that I know nothing had a chance to become a biology experiment.

Also, let your nose be your guide.  If it smells bad then it most definitely needs to go into the trash.

Better safe than sorry...
Meds since: 11/20/2006
Sustiva / Truvada
12/08/2008 VL:<48 CD4 622 (38%)   
9/8/2008 VL:<48 CD4 573 (30%)
5/2008 VL:<48 CD4 464 (30%)
1/2008  VL: <50  CD4 425(28%)
9/2007   VL: <50  CD4 465 (27%)
6/2007   VL: <50   CD4 443 (26%)
3/2007  VL: <50   CD4 385 (25%)
12/2006 - VL: <50   CD4: 384 (25%)
11/2006 - VL:  22K  CD4: 208 (18%)

Offline SASA39

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 04:15:00 am »
Conclusions:
1 day is minimum
3 days are maximum !
Beter safe thrn sorry !
That was just the fact I was looking for........
For that reason I was insisting on polles so that we could get a mayority opinion..............
Thanks .........................             Al
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :
various ups & downs- mostly ups - from 58-916 and back in #CD and few blips in VL.

Offline SASA39

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2007, 09:28:09 am »
What should I know about food safety?

Paying attention to food and water safety is important when you have HIV, because your immune system is already weakened and working hard to fight off infections.

If food is not handled or prepared in a safe way, germs from the food can be passed on to you. These germs can make you sick.

You need to handle and cook food properly to keep those germs from getting to you.

Here are some food safety guidelines:

Keep everything clean! Clean your counters and utensils often. 

Wash your hands with soap and warm water before and after preparing and eating food. 

Check expiration dates on food packaging. Do not eat foods that have a past expiration date.

Rinse all fresh fruits and vegetables with clean water.

Thaw frozen meats and other frozen foods in the refrigerator or in a microwave. Never thaw foods at room temperature. Germs that grow at room temperature can make you very sick.

Clean all cutting boards and knives (especially those that touch chicken and meat) with soap and hot water before using them again.

Make sure you cook all meat, fish, and poultry "well-done." You might want to buy a meat thermometer to help you know for sure that it is done. Put the thermometer in the thickest part of the meat and not touching a bone. Cook the meat until it reaches 165 to 212 degrees Fahrenheit on your thermometer.

Do not eat raw, soft-boiled, or "over easy" eggs, or Caesar salads with raw egg in the dressing.

Do not eat sushi, raw seafood, or raw meats, or unpasteurized milk or dairy products.

Keep your refrigerator cold, set no higher than 40 degrees. Your freezer should be at 0 degrees.

Refrigerate leftovers at temperatures below 40 degrees F. Do not eat leftovers that have been sitting in the refrigerator for more than 3 days.

Keep hot items heated to over 140 degrees F, and completely reheat leftovers before eating.

Throw away any foods (like fruit, vegetables, and cheese) that you think might be old. If food has a moldy or rotten spot, throw it out. When in doubt, throw it out.

Some germs are spread through tap water. If your public water supply isn't totally pure, drink bottled water.

25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :

Offline izprince1984

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 02:04:40 am »
What should I know about food safety?

Paying attention to food and water safety is important when you have HIV, because your immune system is already weakened and working hard to fight off infections.

If food is not handled or prepared in a safe way, germs from the food can be passed on to you. These germs can make you sick.

You need to handle and cook food properly to keep those germs from getting to you.

Here are some food safety guidelines:

Keep everything clean! Clean your counters and utensils often. 

Wash your hands with soap and warm water before and after preparing and eating food. 

Check expiration dates on food packaging. Do not eat foods that have a past expiration date.

Rinse all fresh fruits and vegetables with clean water.

Thaw frozen meats and other frozen foods in the refrigerator or in a microwave. Never thaw foods at room temperature. Germs that grow at room temperature can make you very sick.

Clean all cutting boards and knives (especially those that touch chicken and meat) with soap and hot water before using them again.

Make sure you cook all meat, fish, and poultry "well-done." You might want to buy a meat thermometer to help you know for sure that it is done. Put the thermometer in the thickest part of the meat and not touching a bone. Cook the meat until it reaches 165 to 212 degrees Fahrenheit on your thermometer.

Do not eat raw, soft-boiled, or "over easy" eggs, or Caesar salads with raw egg in the dressing.

Do not eat sushi, raw seafood, or raw meats, or unpasteurized milk or dairy products.

Keep your refrigerator cold, set no higher than 40 degrees. Your freezer should be at 0 degrees.

Refrigerate leftovers at temperatures below 40 degrees F. Do not eat leftovers that have been sitting in the refrigerator for more than 3 days.

Keep hot items heated to over 140 degrees F, and completely reheat leftovers before eating.

Throw away any foods (like fruit, vegetables, and cheese) that you think might be old. If food has a moldy or rotten spot, throw it out. When in doubt, throw it out.

Some germs are spread through tap water. If your public water supply isn't totally pure, drink bottled water.

The EPA has guidelines for any municipal water supply, the FDA regulates bottled water, but the guidelines on both are about the same.

Long story short, bottled water isn't necessarily any safer than tap, and it's just cash in the trash.
ryan@ryan-desktop:~$ apt-get moo
         (__)
         (oo)
   /------\/
  / |    ||   
 *  /\---/\
    ~~   ~~   
...."Have you mooed today?"...

Offline Merlin

• As My WILL, So MOTE It Be !
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 07:09:58 pm »
I agree. Once I drank some soya milk when it ran past the expiry date by a week cos it did not smell nor tasted bad, I felt sick for 3-4 days with a fever to boot. My tummy dun seem to be able to deal with spicy food anymore too like before. Now if I take anything too hot or spicy, it will hurt and keep me going to the superbowl many times over for a day or two.

I'm slowly learning about what and how to eat properly. Not many may agree, but sometimes, one may need to go through trials and errors the hard way and form one's own experiences to set the habit straight.

Happy safe eating  :P

PS: I'm wondering though just to digress; wouldn't microwaving food kill all germs even if the food is not fresh? So, even though it's good hygiene to throw out stale food, no food should be unsafe after a good microwaving right?..unless the food is not microwave long enough?. Any thoughts? ???
I'll leave Hatred to those not strong enough to Love.

+++

Believe & The Power Of The Mind Transforms.
Make It Happen...

+++

I blame them for nothing.
I forgive them for everything.

---->> Mary J. Blige on dysfuctional parents

Offline aztecan

• 36 years positive, 64 years a pain in the butt
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2007, 11:40:53 pm »
Hey Prinze,

You said, "The EPA has guidelines for any municipal water supply, the FDA regulates bottled water, but the guidelines on both are about the same."

That is true in the U.S. But SASA lives in Central Europe and I don't know what the standards are there.

HUGS,

Mark
"May your life preach more loudly than your lips."
~ William Ellery Channing (Unitarian Minister)

Offline SASA39

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2007, 08:59:01 am »
Very shaky Marc  ("the chef"), very shaky.
Only when citizens of some city here ( Serbia ) collect some sh...t ( usually hard metals) a goverment raise an alarm.
So you were right as usuall ...............
                            Al
25.Dec`06.- 19.Oct`16 :

Terms of Membership for these forums

© 2024 Smart + Strong. All Rights Reserved.   terms of use and your privacy
Smart + Strong® is a registered trademark of CDM Publishing, LLC.